What's Our FO's Dumbest Move of the 2000's

The New Year is approaching ... what is your opinion on the ONE WORST Front Office move of this decade?

My pick .... Willis McGahee ... 2003 draft section #23. We passed on:Larry Johnson (#27), Dallas Clark (#24), Rashean Mathis (#39), Anquan Boldin (#54), Osi Umenyiora (#56), Lance Briggs (#68), Jason Witten (#69)

Ok. so hindsight is 20/20 and we didn't know these guys would be good... but did we really need a RB??? Travis Henry in the preceding year (2002) had 1,438 yards and 13 TDs...

in fact in 2003 (while Willis was on IR) Henry had:

1,356 yards and 10 TDs.

Once Willis was in he struggled to do what Henry already had done ..

2006 Buffalo Bills 990 yards 6TDs

2005 Buffalo Bills 1,247 yards 5 TDs

2004 Buffalo Bills 1,128 yards 13 TDs

So essentially, we gave up a 1st round pick... sat on him a year... and he gave us a little less than what we already had. I know there are probably worse ones out there... guys who didn't even make it as starters...but this one still burns me for some reason.

• Replies 116
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

For me the worst was letting Pat Williams go after the 2004 season.

I'll nominate a few others: trading a first rounder to the Pats for Bledsoe, trading up in the 2004 draft for Losman, drafting Whitner in 2006 instead of Cutler or Ngata, drafting a lazy RT over McKinnie, Butler's entire 2000 draft, :censored: I can go on and on with examples of this franchise's incompetence...

I would also have to say that letting Pat Williams walk was there biggest mistake. McGahee is probably the most hated Bill ever, but I think they drafted a back because Travis Henry had already failed at least one drug test, and they couldn't keep him in diapers.

Lets see, so many things...trading our #1 to the Pats for Bledsoe, allowing Pat Williams, London Fletcher, and Antoine Winfield walk, trading and ultimately spending two #1 picks to select JP Losman, moving up to draft McCargo with a #1 pick, not paying Jason Peters like a Pro Bowl LT to avoid his frustrating hold outs, overpaying for Kelsay, Parrish, but the biggest would have to be:

drafting Mike Williams.

actually, since we can also include the front office itself...

I would like to amend my Mike Williams entry.

I would like to say that keeping Modrak and Guy after having fired Donahoe is perhaps the worst move this franchise has made in the past decade.

I would also have to say that letting Pat Williams walk was there biggest mistake. McGahee is probably the most hated Bill ever, but I think they drafted a back because Travis Henry had already failed at least one drug test, and they couldn't keep him in diapers.

or keep his hands out of them

Yep, I have to agree, letting Pat Williams leave was the dumbest by far. He wanted to stay, and would still be anchoring our defensive line. The McGahee selection would be up there for sure, considering what our needs were at that time. I think Dumb-a-hole wanted to make the big steal of the draft and get the next Walter Payton.

No one has mentioned spending the 2002 #4 pick on Mike Williams, but as the previous poster mentioned, we could go on and on with examples of drafting incompetence exhibited by successive front office staffs.

It wasn't hiring Donahoe. The guy had the resume at the time.

And it wasn't firing Donahoe. He had clearly failed by then.

It was deciding after firing Donahoe that the Bills didn't need a real football executive to run the show. Thus we get Marv just to calm everyone down and eventually Brandon. If Ralph hires a real GM who wants to be a GM and has the background to BE a GM, everything turns out differently after Donahoe leaves.

The New Year is approaching ... what is your opinion on the ONE WORST Front Office move of this decade?

My pick .... Willis McGahee ... 2003 draft section #23. We passed on:Larry Johnson (#27), Dallas Clark (#24), Rashean Mathis (#39), Anquan Boldin (#54), Osi Umenyiora (#56), Lance Briggs (#68), Jason Witten (#69)

GREAT topic. Btw, you left Eric Steinbach (the player I was screaming for) off that list.

Imo, the answer is going into the 06 draft with the #8, an early second, and 2 early 3rds, and walking away with Donte Whittner, John McCargo and Ashton Youboty. In terms of adding insult to franchise crippling injury, these morons used their early 4th round pick on Ko Simpson.

This is how Levy and Jauron set about "rebuilding" this football team.

GREAT topic. Btw, you left Eric Steinbach (the player I was screaming for) off that list.

Imo, the answer is going into the 06 draft with the #8, an early second, and 2 early 3rds, and walking away with Donte Whittner, John McCargo and Ashton Youboty. In terms of adding insult to franchise crippling injury, these morons used their early 4th round pick on Ko Simpson.

This is how Levy and Jauron set about "rebuilding" this football team.

Great minds think alike. I was just pondering all of the FO mistakes and I narrowed it down to the top of the '06 draft. Marv really set this franchise back with that one. They wouldn't even consider Ngata or Bunkley because they didn't fit the system :censored: , then they declined offers to trade down and gain picks. Denver (who wanted Cutler) and Philly made offers to trade up to 8. We could have still taken DW at 15 and had an additional 2nd round pick.

Then Marv pulls the mind boggling move of trading up for McCargo. By all reports, we didn't have to go anywhere to get JM. In those two picks (not even mentioning how bad the selections themselves were) Marv completely threw a second and a third round pick out the window when this team desperately needed prospects.

It wasn't hiring Donahoe. The guy had the resume at the time.

And it wasn't firing Donahoe. He had clearly failed by then.

It was deciding after firing Donahoe that the Bills didn't need a real football executive to run the show. Thus we get Marv just to calm everyone down and eventually Brandon. If Ralph hires a real GM who wants to be a GM and has the background to BE a GM, everything turns out differently after Donahoe leaves.

Dead on! Thank-you...

I would say hiring Marv Levy as GM was the dumbest move of the 2000's...as bad as things may have been under TD, they guy was not complacent. It is easy to point to things like the Bledsoe move, but, at the time, it was a good move, and it payed off to a degree... Marv's tenure as GM has saddled us with a horrendous coach, a roster full of talent that wouldn't have a chance making better teams, and some pretty questionable draft picks. Marv may not have been responisble, directly, for all of this, but a lack of a real football person, with a modern notion of how the legue works, in that position, was.