Donte Whitner

John Adams

Exactly just like Kurt Shultz was for the Bills - he was the enforcer - if you catch the ball you are going to get a BIG hit and hesitate before you attempt to make the catch listening for the train. These types tend to get fumbles from hits more than interceptions.

Does Whitner force fumbles? I dont remember which means probably not too many.

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wilson sucks. Donte will go back to SS. Byrd will stay at FS. None of us know if Byrd is any good in coverage or not but there is no way they can put him on the bench now. The INT's were bad throws and great reactions.

The only mention of George Wilson in the whole thread is a criticism?

I think that Wilson has played great and is continuing to improve. Remember he started as a wide receiver and that this is just the beginning of his 3rd season as a safety. Before 2007, he had never played defensive back at any point in his football career.

The guy has size, range, and good hands and is improving. Several of the young DBs refer to him as one of the leaders of the secondary.

I wouldn't dismiss Wilson's future as a starter with this team.

I like Bryan Scott quite a bit too. He's like an extra linebacker in the box.

One thing seems certain, the Bills have lots of quality players in their defensive backfield.

The strong and free safety positions seem much improved. Maybe guys aren't making the big hits without Whitner but they get turnovers and are often in position. I say Whitner returns in the Nickel package but I'm sure Dick will do the wrong thing and return him to starter...just like he wrongfully returned Lynch to starter.

I say Byrd at FS and Whitner at SS and see what happens a game or two...if not, make a switch at SS. I still think Whitner brings much needed run support as our LBs are so banged up

This whole thing is completely not a problem (after two wins on the road in a row a lot of the positions and units are not a problem but this usually lasts until prep starts for the next opponent which actually should have begun for some non field coaches last week and for the braintrust in earnest tonight when they get home or on the plane and for the players in the shower tonight or tomorrow and in earnest when they drive to practice after a likely day off tomorrow).

Particularly since Whitner has had a recent history of injury, the two winning games and relatively solid play of Byrd/Wilson means that rather than rushing our pre-season starters back you probably give them an extra week of inaction to heal or at the very least you bring them back slowly with the understanding by all that they are gonna see action as subs first and as their recovery continues then they start.

I think this team is committed to Whitner starting unless he is demonstrably hurt. My sense of the other starter is that we had Byrd pegged for the starting FS job as a centerfielder anyway. He is so hot right now and so young as a rookie I think you let him keep the starter job and encourage demand that he keep it up.

Wilson is told he is the first man off the bench either way and will get a ton of PT in any case. Scott I am afraid who earned his job through surprisingly solid play after injuries to Whitner and other safeties has now lost his job to surprisingly solid play by Byrd and Wilson and his injury and he will have to crawl back into a job slowly.

Whitner is my starter, but the team has the advantage of bringing him back slowly and he has the personal disadvantage that if Byrd continues to be a stud next year we choose the captains a bit differently and if he screws up upon his return Wilson is standing over his shoulder.

This is not a problem at all for us.

And Donte Whitner is an enforcer and great box S because ... ? Whitner is not a big guy and has gotten dinged up every year he has played and it is simply not playing to his strength to have him go down in the box.

If you want an enforcer type... that would be Scott. I don't understand the couple of negarive comments about Wilson, I think he has played well and is one of the teams leaders.

It's a nice problem to have possibly 4 starting-caliber safeties. The concern is keeping them all healthy.

Byrd has been amazing. In his 7 games, he has 5 INT's and 7 passes defensed (although I'm not sure if an INT counts as a PD, like it counts as an incompletion for a QB). That's impressive for anyone, much less a rookie who missed most of the off-season and training camp, including the first week of pre-season.

You guys are all a bunch of dopes.

Jairus Byrd is playing free safety. Whitner is best at strong safety. Whitner was playing free earlier this year because without a healthy Byrd, our best tandem was Whitner at FS, Scott at SS. With a healthy Byrd, the best tandem is Byrd at FS and Whitner at SS.

On top of that, it's not really the SS job to get interceptions, even in the Tampa 2. Think back to the days when Monte Kiffin was running a tight ship down in Tampa. Who was the SS on all of those Bucs squads? John Lynch. What was Lynch known for? Interceptions? Didn't think so. He was known for taking your damn head off with big hits and being solid in the run game. He had 26 career INT's in 13 seasons. THAT is the job of a SS in the Tampa 2.

Let's study football before we post guys. Seriously.

Whitner doesn't have that reputation, to be kind.

Besides, the Tampa 2 hasn't been much for the Bills.

You guys are sooo what have you done for me lately its not funny

Byrd has the stuff you want in a FS and he should start....but he isn't a great tackler....and Wilson is a very poor tackler.....Whitner is your SS.....a safety tandem of Whitner and Byrd can grow to being one of the best in the league....keep in mind both of these guys are under 25.....I think Wilson would be great to use in Big Nickle or Dime formations and good depth......and I think Scott is a very good backup that we can throw in here and there.....but why get rid of your most versatile DB in Whitner.....I think he and Byrd perfectly complement one another

Jairus Byrd is playing free safety. Whitner is best at strong safety. Whitner was playing free earlier this year because without a healthy Byrd, our best tandem was Whitner at FS, Scott at SS. With a healthy Byrd, the best tandem is Byrd at FS and Whitner at SS.

On top of that, it's not really the SS job to get interceptions, even in the Tampa 2. Think back to the days when Monte Kiffin was running a tight ship down in Tampa. Who was the SS on all of those Bucs squads? John Lynch. What was Lynch known for? Interceptions? Didn't think so. He was known for taking your damn head off with big hits and being solid in the run game. He had 26 career INT's in 13 seasons. THAT is the job of a SS in the Tampa 2.

GREAT POST!!!

Sounds right to me!

Byrd is playing amazing.

You know what's really amazing?

The fact that the four Bills draftees taken after the NFLs #11 overall pick, Maybin, will probably contribute more this year, and possibly into the future, for the Bills.

The four are: Wood, Levitre, Byrd, and Nelson. Imagine what a steller draft this would have been if we'd used that # 11 (the Bills first pick) on a higher-probabilty impact player, instead of what's looking more and more to be the next Eric Flowers. I think Nic Harris may even have a better chance at being a fixture on the defense.

Yeah, I know, Maybin is still a rookie (yada-yada-yada), but why on earth did the Bills expend such a high pick on a "project" player, when they could have maybe found someone who could have been more of an immediate contributor.

Donte's last year of this contract is next year, I would have no problem if we dont resign him or even cut him. Whitner is journeyman NFL safety, nothing spectacular, no pro bowls from this top ten safety pick, not a playmaker other than the deflected passs this year. Ill take the other 2 SS and save the millions and spend it elsewhere.

You know what's really amazing?

The fact that the four Bills draftees taken after the NFLs #11 overall pick, Maybin, will probably contribute more this year, and possibly into the future, for the Bills.

The four are: Wood, Levitre, Byrd, and Nelson. Imagine what a steller draft this would have been if we'd used that # 11 (the Bills first pick) on a higher-probabilty impact player, instead of what's looking more and more to be the next Eric Flowers. I think Nic Harris may even have a better chance at being a fixture on the defense.

Yeah, I know, Maybin is still a rookie (yada-yada-yada), but why on earth did the Bills expend such a high pick on a "project" player, when they could have maybe found someone who could have been more of an immediate contributor.

I also questioned the decision to pick Maybin at 11, given that a good offensive tackle, M. Oher, was still on the board, and we had traded J. Peters (I guess the FO was still deluding themselves that Langston could play LT).

I believe the FO were right in thinking (like many others) that Maybin had the most upside in the draft as a pass rushing DE, nevertheless everyone knew he was a major project with relatively high risk and that it would likely be years before he panned out if at all. He could turn into another Jason Taylor or he could be out of football by then.

definitely Whitner at SS and Byrd at FS... also Bills seem to play alot of 4-2-5 looks w/ 3 safeties instead of 3CB's with Whitner/Scott acting as a hybrid LB/S a rover position if you will. Take a look at the Saints game.... it was their base defense that game

That defense was ridiculous. Not only was it a 4-2-5 with Whitner playing LB, but one of the other LBs was Ellison who is basically a DB anyway. The Bills played that defense even when the Saints went with a FB and a TE. No wonder the Bills wore down and the Saints ran it down their throats. If you're going to play with such a small group you need some serious meat up front and the Bills don't have it.