Six year old suspended from school for 45 days

Beerball

thats what makes being a parent so much 'fun'....we let them be kids(responsible kids, hopefully) at home, but then the rules change when they get to school, and we expect 6+ year olds to be able to grasp the double standards so easily....however there are far too many idiotic parents that feel its ok to ignore the societal rules at school....they ruin it for the rest....could you imagine if there was a parenting rule book? it would be harder to read than the ObamaCare 'plan' :wallbash:

But why should rules be different at school? They're the same children. And don't tell me parents are idiots today, there were plenty of idiots back then. I think some of the problem is kids aren't afraid of anyone anymore. I remember the "enforcer's" prominent display in our principal's office.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I couldnt believe I found a picture of that one. :wallbash:

I cant believe I made it through the 60's without killing someone with it. :doh:

And I can't believe I've never actually heard a story about a compass stabbing. I think you broke skin just by touching a compass.

Fallacy as a math teacher that has taught in GA and now in NY, they are still widely used. Although, the cheaper plastic versions are out there, many schools still employ the metal compasses.

Well now I feel like I got screwed over. The cheap ones I got stuck using were completely useless. They provided no protection at all. I did get a good laugh at the giant wooden one used on the chalkboard though. The join on the thing was so loose, so I was always watching the teacher screw up and have to erase their attempted circle over and over.

I gotta say my boy, who was 8 in March, received a Swiss Army knife for his birthday. We went thru how to properly handle it, when he could use it etc. Now, he and his boys spend a lot of time at the creek in my neighborhood, doing things I want an 8 yr old boy to do..catching crayfish.exploring and climbing trees, looking for rocks(fools gold is still a big hit BTW) etc. And yes, I allow him to bring his knife down to the creek with him unsupervised. Now, most parents think we are nuts cause these boys go down there and spend 2-3 hrs on a weekend day without a parent hovering over them...but that's a choice we make as parents.

My youngest frequently spends hours running around the woods with his buddies shooting each other with airsoft guns. Eyewear is mandatory but the ghillie suits are optional. They have a great time, with nothing worse happening than the occasional welt that they all find hilarious.

You haven't lived 'til you've walked out of your camp and found an 11 year old on your roof with a scoped sniper rifle and a bipod. :wallbash:

Agree with the beersphere that the district foolishly painted themselves into a corner on this one.

Fallacy as a math teacher that has taught in GA and now in NY, they are still widely used. Although, the cheaper plastic versions are out there, many schools still employ the metal compasses.

How about the guillotine that was passed off as a paper cutter! Those things could chop off an arm.

http://www.papercutterstore.com/cart/large...sp?image_id=655

Or you expose kids to things like pocket knives at an early age and teach them proper use and handling of the tool and what it can do.

That is a good point... Yet, it doesn't always work... Some children/boys always learn the hard way... It is all how the child is programmed inside too.

BTW, I think this story is ridiculous... No way should the school district have painted themselves into the corner with this zero tolerance policy.

How about the guillotine that was passed off as a paper cutter! Those things could chop off an arm.

http://www.papercutterstore.com/cart/large...sp?image_id=655

Yep they try to restrict those copy rooms and work rooms now. Actually one of my co-coaches 2 years ago chopped off the tip of his thumb. Kinda funny because when he returned back for practice that day, we kept busting his stones by giving him thumbs up.

Yep they try to restrict those copy rooms and work rooms now. Actually one of my co-coaches 2 years ago chopped off the tip of his thumb. Kinda funny because when he returned back for practice that day, we kept busting his stones by giving him thumbs up.

That was pretty much an everyday occurrence working in the kitchen.