Six year old suspended from school for 45 days

Beerball

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

way to spin that in the article....i have always called them swiss army knives, i guess calling it a folding camping utensil makes this a more appealing story....bring a jackknife to school and you should get suspended, especially in todays world....45 days, however, is a bit excessive

Hooray for overreaction! Let's not look at this at face value for what it is...a kid brought in a swiss army knife to eat his lunch. Nope, much better to freak out and overreact and treat him like a common criminal.

Hooray for overreaction! Let's not look at this at face value for what it is...a kid brought in a swiss army knife to eat his lunch. Nope, much better to freak out and overreact and treat him like a common criminal.

The district (along with most in the country I bet) backed themselves into a corner. They set a zero tolerance policy, they set the length of the suspension & they sent a copy of the policy to parents (should have had them sign and return an acknowledgement) maybe as part of a school handbook.

I'm guessing on this, but I've been through this stuff with 3 kids.

The school is to blame for not giving themselves the authority to deal with 'bringing a weapon to school' on a case by case basis. Perhaps a suspension is mandatory, but they have leeway in its length (1-45 days?).

They could just stand the kid against the wall and let the entire school pelt him with dodge balls. :thumbsup:

The district (along with most in the country I bet) backed themselves into a corner. They set a zero tolerance policy, they set the length of the suspension & they sent a copy of the policy to parents (should have had them sign and return an acknowledgement) maybe as part of a school handbook.

I'm guessing on this, but I've been through this stuff with 3 kids.

The school is to blame for not giving themselves the authority to deal with 'bringing a weapon to school' on a case by case basis. Perhaps a suspension is mandatory, but they have leeway in its length (1-45 days?).

They could just stand the kid against the wall and let the entire school pelt him with dodge balls. :thumbsup:

From what i gather reading the article, the kid didn't threaten anyone and used it to eat lunch. He was 6 years old. Probably thought it was "cool" and he could show all his friends. So you can:

1. Tell this 6 year old that you can't take it to school because it has a knife on it and is dangerous and let him go on with his life.

2. Freak out irrationally and suspend him for 1/4 of the year, while this kid probably has no clue what the hell he did to earn that punishment. But "that'll learn him."

Its a damn 6 year old.

substitute a gun for the 'folding camping utensil'....keep in mind i agree that the suspension is excessive, but there is no place in school anymore for bringing pocket knives in to show and tell.....too many crazy people out there...even little kids, keeping in mind a 6 year old is in school with up to 12 year olds.

From what i gather reading the article, the kid didn't threaten anyone and used it to eat lunch. He was 6 years old. Probably thought it was "cool" and he could show all his friends. So you can:

1. Tell this 6 year old that you can't take it to school because it has a knife on it and is dangerous and let him go on with his life.

2. Freak out irrationally and suspend him for 1/4 of the year, while this kid probably has no clue what the hell he did to earn that punishment. But "that'll learn him."

Its a damn 6 year old.

a parent who wants to make sure their little superstar has everything he could possibly want and can't say 'no' for fear of not having the same stuff as the neighbors kids

Or a kid in cub scouts. I had a pocket knife when i was 6 and in cub scouts.

Its a damn 6 year old.

I don't think we disagree. The school 'had' to do what they did because they set a very restrictive policy (not unlike similar ones in most schools I would guess).

The easy thing is tell the kid to leave it at home, but they (school) didn't give themselves that chance.

substitute a gun for the 'folding camping utensil'....keep in mind i agree that the suspension is excessive, but there is no place in school anymore for bringing pocket knives in to show and tell.....too many crazy people out there...even little kids, keeping in mind a 6 year old is in school with up to 12 year olds.

Yup. Theres exactly no difference between a kid bringing in a gun to school and a kid who brings in a swiss army knife to use as a fork for lunch.

have you seen what cub scouts is for 6 year olds these days? nothing like when i was 6, it is arts and crafts..they don't do anything that requires camping gear until much later in the process....i honestly do not believe there is a reason for any 6 year old to have a pocket knife

Or a kid in cub scouts. I had a pocket knife when i was 6 and in cub scouts.

have you seen what cub scouts is for 6 year olds these days? nothing like when i was 6, it is arts and crafts..they don't do anything that requires camping gear until much later in the process....i honestly do not believe there is a reason for any 6 year old to have a pocket knife

Or you expose kids to things like pocket knives at an early age and teach them proper use and handling of the tool and what it can do.

that wasn't my point and it wasn't your point.....you said he probably thought it was cool and brought it in(or something to that effect)....what if the gun fell in the hands of some young miscreant....lets say a young Dean and he shivs some young mofo......

also, there is no reason whatsoever to bring your own utensils into school, they have plenty of utensils in schools for kids to use...

I am not saying i agree with this nonsense, but it is the hand we have been dealt, and unfortunately we need to abide by it or, make a case to get the rules changed....

Yup. Theres exactly no difference between a kid bringing in a gun to school and a kid who brings in a swiss army knife to use as a fork for lunch.