Six year old suspended from school for 45 days

Beerball

Bubble kids? :thumbsup:

You know how I learned to handle a knife? I cut myself a few times and said, "hmmm, I won't do it that way again."

It wouldn't me my kid I was worried about. I guess with my wife being a grade school teacher, I am exposed to the utter stupidity of parents and children on a regular basis. The kid who is dumb enough to bring a pocket knife to school to eat his lunch is very likely the last kid you would ever consider giving a knife to.

If this numbnut cuts another kid, either by accident or on purpose, the lawsuit against the school system would be astronomical. Or some other numbnut steals the kids knife and something bad happens, this thread would be screaming for schools to provide our kids with better protection and questioning why a 6 year old has a knife.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't know what the rule was then, but my son is in Scouts and the rule is age 8. He just got his 1st knife and achieved his whittling chip as laid out in the Bear Scout track. However, he was taught strict rules through the cub scouts, including the fact that the scout NEVER uses his knife w/o the knowledge of a parent or the Den leader.

And you honestly think he hasn't carved his name - and maybe his favorite girl's name - on a park bench somewhere?

And you honestly think he hasn't carved his name - and maybe his favorite girl's name - on a park bench somewhere?

at age 6? :wallbash:

I can see why people get in flame wars, because that is just stupid talk. Is there a restraining order that prevents you from being around kids? Have you ever met a 6 year old?

at age 6? :wallbash:

I can see why people get in flame wars, because that is just stupid talk. Is there a restraining order that prevents you from being around kids? Have you ever met a 6 year old?

Sorry...geez, I thought you said your son was 8. (And yeah, when I was 8, I was carving names on park benches - harmless stuff, really.)

Back when I was in grade school, my retard parent.

It was a rare lad that didn't have a pocket knife and had it in his pocket at school. But somehow nobody stabbed another. Imagine that.

But that was in the times when the prevalent family unit wasn't an unmarried woman with court-ordered custody usually living on the taxpayer-paid dole. Back before the intrusion by government upon our population's innate morality.

Well, one of the many outcomes of the "Great Society" legislation in the mid-'60's...stay tuned...

Ten miles to school, barefoot, in the snow, uphill, both ways?

Sorry...geez, I thought you said your son was 8. (And yeah, when I was 8, I was carving names on park benches - harmless stuff, really.)

Well, what "he" are you referring to?

And no, my 8 year old does not play with his knife unsupervised. In order for him to carve his name into a bench means we would not be watching him. Parents don't do that with 8 year olds.

....though if the pencil didnt work, I'd whip this sucker out:

http://www.oppictures.com/SINGLEIMAGES/400/LEO77360_1_1.JPG

They got rid of those a while ago. I remember being stuck with some crappy alternative and that was 20 years ago. The only place I ever used a good stabbing compass was at home. Man those things were sharp.

And no, my 8 year old does not play with his knife unsupervised. In order for him to carve his name into a bench means we would not be watching him. Parents don't do that with 8 year olds.

And that's probably why it sucks being an 8 year old these days.

It wouldn't me my kid I was worried about. I guess with my wife being a grade school teacher, I am exposed to the utter stupidity of parents and children on a regular basis. The kid who is dumb enough to bring a pocket knife to school to eat his lunch is very likely the last kid you would ever consider giving a knife to.

If this numbnut cuts another kid, either by accident or on purpose, the lawsuit against the school system would be astronomical. Or some other numbnut steals the kids knife and something bad happens, this thread would be screaming for schools to provide our kids with better protection and questioning why a 6 year old has a knife.

You don't honestly think the kid belongs in reform-school, for this, do you??? :wallbash:

I'm still not sure you've actually looked at the thing...

It’s a Fork, It’s a Spoon, It’s a ... Weapon?

Link - NY Times Article

This is getting silly, SDS, and I certainly don't want to get in a 'flame war' - you made a comment that your son's in the Scouts, that the rule is 8, that your son got his first knife, but never uses it when he's not w/in sight of you or a den supervisor, and I asked if you're sure he hasn't carved his name on a park bench - which is a pretty innocent thing for an 8-year-old to do, and a pretty innocent question, I think. :wallbash:

And yeah - I'm around plenty of youngsters, and know that some over-protective parents actually walk their kids on leashes, too. I feel sorry for those kids, and even more sorry the world's so screwed up that the parents feel that need.

And that's probably why it sucks being an 8 year old these days.

I gotta say my boy, who was 8 in March, received a Swiss Army knife for his birthday. We went thru how to properly handle it, when he could use it etc. Now, he and his boys spend a lot of time at the creek in my neighborhood, doing things I want an 8 yr old boy to do..catching crayfish.exploring and climbing trees, looking for rocks(fools gold is still a big hit BTW) etc. And yes, I allow him to bring his knife down to the creek with him unsupervised. Now, most parents think we are nuts cause these boys go down there and spend 2-3 hrs on a weekend day without a parent hovering over them...but that's a choice we make as parents.

When he gets home, he puts the knife back in tray in the kitchen. If that knife is not there when it is spoda be, he knows he loses it for one month..and so far he has never taken it without our permission. I understand different views, just telling you mine..and yes I believe a kid can learn the proper way to camp and handle a knife without Cub Scouts

They got rid of those a while ago. I remember being stuck with some crappy alternative and that was 20 years ago. The only place I ever used a good stabbing compass was at home. Man those things were sharp.

I couldnt believe I found a picture of that one. :wallbash:

I cant believe I made it through the 60's without killing someone with it. :doh:

I gotta say my boy, who was 8 in March, received a Swiss Army knife for his birthday. We went thru how to properly handle it, when he could use it etc. Now, he and his boys spend a lot of time at the creek in my neighborhood, doing things I want an 8 yr old boy to do..catching crayfish.exploring and climbing trees, looking for rocks(fools gold is still a big hit BTW) etc. And yes, I allow him to bring his knife down to the creek with him unsupervised. Now, most parents think we are nuts cause these boys go down there and spend 2-3 hrs on a weekend day without a parent hovering over them...but that's a choice we make as parents.

When he gets home, he puts the knife back in tray in the kitchen. If that knife is not there when it is spoda be, he knows he loses it for one month..and so far he has never taken it without our permission. I understand different views, just telling you mine..and yes I believe a kid can learn the proper way to camp and handle a knife without Cub Scouts

Thanks for restoring my faith that good parenting can create a great childhood for kids. :wallbash:

I grew up in the boonies of WNY and as I child did exactly what your son and his friends are doing and I have the fondest memories and I'm sure 40 years from now he will too. I don't have kids as you all know so I'm so completely out of the loop on this but you have no idea how glad I am to read your post.

and yes I believe a kid can learn the proper way to camp and handle a knife without Cub Scouts

no one implied that. My point was that the article was written very poorly and the cub scouts are being used as a prop.

Fallacy as a math teacher that has taught in GA and now in NY, they are still widely used. Although, the cheaper plastic versions are out there, many schools still employ the metal compasses.

no one implied that. My point was that the article was written very poorly and the cub scouts are being used as a prop.

Yea, that came off different that i wanted it to..sounded mean..sorry for that! :wallbash: Just meant that kids can learn these things in many ways, Cub Scouts being one, and a very good one at that.

And Chef, thank you for the kind comments. Think most without kids would be surprised, many parents are pretty close to what our parents were like back in da day..but we tend to only hear about stories like this, you are not reading about parents in riverlake colony letting their 8 years olds go the creek..know what I mean?

and as you pointed out by your example, most of us make sure the kids don't take them to school with them, as we are well aware of the consequences involved, as ridiculous as they are....

Yea, that came off different that i wanted it to..sounded mean..sorry for that! :wallbash: Just meant that kids can learn these things in many ways, Cub Scouts being one, and a very good one at that.

And Chef, thank you for the kind comments. Think most without kids would be surprised, many parents are pretty close to what our parents were like back in da day..but we tend to only hear about stories like this, you are not reading about parents in riverlake colony letting their 8 years olds go the creek..know what I mean?

and as you pointed out by your example, most of us make sure the kids don't take them to school with them, as we are well aware of the consequences involved, as ridiculous as they are....

I guess I just got confused between what you let kids do and what the school won't let them do. It's just unfortunate that we have to restrict kids in what they can bring to school.

thats what makes being a parent so much 'fun'....we let them be kids(responsible kids, hopefully) at home, but then the rules change when they get to school, and we expect 6+ year olds to be able to grasp the double standards so easily....however there are far too many idiotic parents that feel its ok to ignore the societal rules at school....they ruin it for the rest....could you imagine if there was a parenting rule book? it would be harder to read than the ObamaCare 'plan' :wallbash:

c

I guess I just got confused between what you let kids do and what the school won't let them do. It's just unfortunate that we have to restrict kids in what they can bring to school.