Bills move to LA??

Nostradamus

• Replies 259
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

If this is even remotely true -- that Ralph is negotiating with people -- then he's essentially writing off the 2009 season. The Bills can pick up and leave anytime as the lease is essentially in a year-to-year phase (http://buffalo.bizjournals.com/buffalo/sto.../03/story2.html) so there is effectively nothing tying Ralph to Buffalo.

If this is true, then there will be no firing of Jauron or any real concern given to the losses. It just doesn't matter to Ralph *if* he is really negotiating the sale of the team to a Los Angeles interest. I hope this story is false.

Let me preface this by saying that, admittedly, this information has roughly 4 layers of hearsay to it.

Let me also preface this by saying that I am repeating what I heard verbatim, and, based on my knowledge of at least some of the people involved in this communication, I think this narrative has sufficient reliability to be posted on a message board, if not the New York Times.

Anyway, I was in court yesterday, where I work, when the conversation turned to Eric Moulds and his pending legal matter. The conversation then segued into the current state of the Bills. A prominent and seemingly very straightforward DWI defense attorney that I know said he had had a conversation with one of the Brinkworths, who I believe are prominent developers in the community. One of the Brinkworths told him (the attorney) that he had spoke with Golisano about the possibility of purchasing the Bills.

Golisano said that he HAS approached Wilson about putting a group together, but Wilson completely froze him out. Wilson supposedly said that he was already negotiating with a group called "Industry of California" about the prospective sale, (and presumable relocation) of the franchise.

I understand that this post may be met with skepticism. However, it's my opinion that the circumstances of this information ARE reliable, in that every link of the communication is with people who really would have access to this information. In other words, there is no "my cousin has a friend who is a bartender that poured Jim Kelly a drink...)... that kind of thing.

I post this knowing that I may open myself up to flaming, but with two objectives. One, I know that as a diehard, I would want one of you to post this info if it was at your disposal, and then it would be up to each individual poster to decide whether or not the post was credible. More importantly, I'm hoping that the Tim Graham's of this board would further investigate to see the validity of this info.

Heard it from a from who heard it from a friend who heard it from another ......

But really, anyone in Buffalo remember a guy named Art Wander (aka, Artie Baby BooBoo). I remember one time listening to him and he came on and said, "well it's done. I heard from reliable sources that MLB has awarded teams to Colorado and Florida". This was about one year before any "formal" announcement. People called in an were outraged because Buffalo hadn't yet even had a chance to present their formal proposal.

Bottom line is that things go on behind the scenes that most most know about.

It's Ralph's team and he can keep it until he dies. He owes nothing to anyone, much to the opinion/dismay of many.

And moving the team to Toronto would incur a massive relocation fee since it's outside the U.S. and well outside of the 75 mile radius. The Toronto group could argue all they want, but the NFL owners will demand their money.

WEO, Don't count on it. Toronto has a very legitimate argument that they are already part of the market. Where you would draw the market boundaries is much more restrictive than how the Rogers group would draw the boundaries. Since the Bills will have played games in Toronto for a number of years their argument is very reasonable. Owners such as Jerry Jones and Danny Snyder would love having the team moved to a bigger market and out of a small western NY market. Also having a new owner who doesn't whine about more revenue sharing from the weatlhier franchises would be a bonus for the owners.

You stated Ralph owes nothing to anyone. That is excactly what the aged owner believes. He made his millions because he is a business genius. The county built a stadium for him and remodeled it without a nickel coming out of his pockets because they love him so much. The fans have supported the Bills through thick and thin (mostly thin) because he is such a benevolent person.

A speical HOF building should be built for benevolent and generous owners such as Art Modell, Robert Irsay and Ralph Wilson. They would have a special wing called the arsehole wing. You should be very confident that high priced tickets would be required to enter their wing. That is how genius business owners would want things done. :doh:

There's no way a new owner, who will finance a majority of the purchase will be able to profit in this market with the new inflated price that Ralph Wilson will get.

This is the biggest reason Bills fans should worry. The higher the price the harder it is to make money. So in an odd sort of way, DJ is doing his best to keep the Bills in Buffalo. Just imagine what the team would be worth if it was successful. :doh:

wow, how do people type this stuff without blood spurting from their ears?

"Four layers of hearsay, but reliable"

Son, Welcome to being in Special Ed.

Buddy, I feel like this will be a wasted effort trying to explain this but here goes...

Just because something is hearsay does not mean it is inherently unreliable. Rather, it just means it is being passed on third hand. For example, when you watch the news reports tonight about the drunk driver who hit people coming out of the parking lot at the stadium, that is hearsay. The reason being, I guarantee no reporter actually saw the events happen. They are just basing the story on other people's accounts and maybe some confirmation from policemen and medical personnel. In fact, by the time you hear the story, there may well be multiple layers of hearsay. But when you watch the news, are you going to discount the entire story because it is hearsay??

As for my original post, I posted it because I found the story credible. I honestly wouldn't have posted it otherwise. While it's highly likely that there is more to the story than the little bit I heard, I think there is definitely at least some truth to the report that I heard. I base this upon my belief that the person who told me the story was honest and not one to repeat idle gossip. Further, 10 years of bad football as well as the owner's own doubts about the teams long term viability in Buffalo seem to lend credence to the idea that Wilson no longer thinks the Bills can compete in a small market.

While I certainly think it is Wilsons OWN mismanagement that explains our current status, Wilson probably doesn't see it that way because of his own hubris. It is much easier from his standpoint to look at the last 10 years as an inevitable fate due to a large shift in sports and economics than due to his own failures in management. Of course, time will tell. But anyone who thinks that there isn't a serious chance that the Bills are gone, SOON, is kidding themselves.

I take offense at your statement. I worked my *ss off to get through law school and spend every day I work in the legal profession wresting with what is the RIGHT thing to do. I work nights, I work early mornings and I work weekends to try and do what's RIGHT, and most attorneys I know do the same thing. There are certainly some bad apples out there, but most attorneys absolutely do not fit the arrogant, over-opinionated mold in which you try to place them. The reality is, they're worried about their clients and trying to do their best so that the person or people they passionately represent don't get the short end of the stick.

I can't speak to the average "size" of an attorney's "junk," but, based on your "9 out of 10" statement, you seem to be have some experience in that area. How exactly is it that you are so well informed on that issue?

Just like it is with cops, everyone (or many people) complain about attorneys until they need one--i.e., until they get the DWI they need to beat or get reduced, or until they get into the accident that prevents them from working.

Big deal, you work nights & weekends & you work your ass off. Who doesn't.

The Bills are not moving, period.

Link??

Again, I think Wilson has convinced himself that the reason for his teams ineptitude is the marketplace. That is a much more convenient excuse for him than facing his own blunders and shortcomings. Games like this will be games Wilson cites as proof that Buffalo can no longer compete in the landscape of todays NFL.

Question: Is Golisano even eligible to own the Bills given his ownership of the Sabres?

Anyone?

Bueller?

GO BILLS!!!

basically this is my understanding of the rule... (take it for what it's worth)

but the NFL only allows a perspective NFL owner who also concurrently owns other major league sports teams (NBA/NHL/MLB etc..) teams to purchase an NFL franchise IF they are located in the same city/metropolitan area.

ex, you can own the bills and sabres at the same time... but you cant own the pittsburgh penguins and bills. you would have to own the penguins and steelers.

I just checked out the NFL distribution map for this week's Jets-Bills game. The majority of the country is getting the NE-Tenn game, except for NY, NJ, Florida, and Southern California. Why would they decide to show this game in LA instead of the national game with Phill Simms & Jim Nantz?

I just checked out the NFL distribution map for this week's Jets-Bills game. The majority of the country is getting the NE-Tenn game, except for NY, NJ, Florida, and Southern California. Why would they decide to show this game in LA instead of the national game with Phill Simms & Jim Nantz?

The kid wearing No. 6 and playing QB for the Jets, perhaps?

Add: FWIW, the LA market switched from a Raiders game to Jets-Pats a couple of weeks ago. Now that may be solely because Oakland is unwatchable, but I do tend to think there's some residual interest in Sanchez out there.

Link??

Again, I think Wilson has convinced himself that the reason for his teams ineptitude is the marketplace. That is a much more convenient excuse for him than facing his own blunders and shortcomings. Games like this will be games Wilson cites as proof that Buffalo can no longer compete in the landscape of todays NFL.

I think any credibility your post may have (and I stress may have) had went right out the window with that statement.

That makes less than zero sense.

I think any credibility your post may have (and I stress may have) had went right out the window with that statement.

That makes less than zero sense.

How quickly we forget. In 2006-2007, all Wilson could talk about seemingly was the difficulty the Bills had competing in today's NFL given the disparity in the marketplace. He used it as an excuse then, and his seeming resignation to the franchise's failures makes me think he believes it even more now.