Aaron Rodgers vs Trent Edwards

IN watching this game tonight, I noticed some GLARING differences in what a QB with a BAD offensive line should be able to do:

1. Rodgers was arguably under siege MORE than Edwards vs Miami, yet he found the time to pass the ball to the middle of the field and hit receivers in stride between the hash marks.

2. Rodgers did not panic but bought as much time as possible to extend each play

3. Rodgers RARELY checked down but kept his progressions going even under fire to try and find a receiver down field.

While this might be a bad comparison, they have played roughly the same amount in this league with two pretty bad O-lines. For my money, I would take Rodgers in a heartbeat. My point of all this is that no matter how many excuses we keep making for Edwards, he still is the exception and not the rule when it comes to an NFL QB making plays. Others can do it behind worse lines and worse circumstances, yet TE struggles much of the time and makes excuses why he cannot get the ball down field. We should be able to expect from our starting QB what we see in Rodgers tonight. Now I'm sure coaching plays into it, and obviously McCarthy is better than Jauron, so maybe that makes it an uneven field. Thoughts??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

IN watching this game tonight, I noticed some GLARING differences in what a QB with a BAD offensive line should be able to do:

1. Rodgers was arguably under siege MORE than Edwards vs Miami, yet he found the time to pass the ball to the middle of the field and hit receivers in stride between the hash marks.

2. Rodgers did not panic but bought as much time as possible to extend each play

3. Rodgers RARELY checked down but kept his progressions going even under fire to try and find a receiver down field.

While this might be a bad comparison, they have played roughly the same amount in this league with two pretty bad O-lines. For my money, I would take Rodgers in a heartbeat. My point of all this is that no matter how many excuses we keep making for Edwards, he still is the exception and not the rule when it comes to an NFL QB making plays. Others can do it behind worse lines and worse circumstances, yet TE struggles much of the time and makes excuses why he cannot get the ball down field. We should be able to expect from our starting QB what we see in Rodgers tonight. Now I'm sure coaching plays into it, and obviously McCarthy is better than Jauron, so maybe that makes it an uneven field. Thoughts??

I think you're 100% spot on here. There is simply NO comparison. Edwards is a 2nd or 3rd stringer at best. Rodgers replaced Favre for a reason.

I think you're 100% spot on here. There is simply NO comparison. Edwards is a 2nd or 3rd stringer at best. Rodgers replaced Favre for a reason.

Enh. Rogers may look better than Edwards, but the guy looks like the second coming of Rob Johnson to me. A California with good stats, not that many victories, way too many sacks, and some brittleness.

Enh. Rogers may look better than Edwards, but the guy looks like the second coming of Rob Johnson to me. A California with good stats, not that many victories, way too many sacks, and some brittleness.

Brittleness? The guy got pummeled like a punching bag tonight, and played his best ball in the fourth.

Well....now we know who told San Francisco to draft Alex Smith....

Rogers checked down all game. His WRs were able to RAC however

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Aaron had no time to throw either. No more than Trent. Yet he was able to evade the rushers and complete passes. I think he had the same or less talent to work with in regards to TEs, RB, and WRs. Why can he do it and Trent just melts? Some coaching maybe, but I think that's the kind of stuff you can't coach. Heart. I just don't think Trent's a winner pure and simple.

I think it's Trent's last year on his contract. If he doesn't straighten things out pretty quick he will be hard pressed to find another NFL team to play for. He'll be JP II.

I was thinking exactly the same thing. Aaron had no time to throw either. No more than Trent. Yet he was able to evade the rushers and complete passes. I think he had the same or less talent to work with in regards to TEs, RB, and WRs. Why can he do it and Trent just melts? Some coaching maybe, but I think that's the kind of stuff you can't coach. Heart. I just don't think Trent's a winner pure and simple.

I think it's Trent's last year on his contract. If he doesn't straighten things out pretty quick he will be hard pressed to find another NFL team to play for. He'll be JP II.

Apart from tight end, I actually think Trent has MORE talent to work with at RB and WR. Just shows how a essential a QB with the courage to stand in and make plays is to a team.

Trent isn't that QB. After watching Rodgers under siege all game and still managing to throw over 350 yards and two INTS despite having one of the greatest DEs (J. Allen) driving him to the ground 5 times, I realized that true #1 QBs can play in the face of adversity.

Rodgers ate dirt, dusted himself off and made plays. Trent in that same situation would implode, run to the sidelines, fix his hair and start texting his bff mid-game that he wanted to go home.

Brittleness? The guy got pummeled like a punching bag tonight, and played his best ball in the fourth.

Rob Johnson was known to do that too. In fact, in one such game in which he put up huge stats while playing through a sprained ankle, he so bewitched a visiting owner who happened to be attending the game as a guest of Wayne Weaver that said owner traded for him the next season: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...99708310rav.htm .

And thank you to that Vikings defense!!! I won by 3 points because of them.

But seriously though, Rodgers is on a completely different level of maturity right now than Edwards.He also has more poise in the pocket and keeps his eyes DOWNFIELD at all times. The TD pass to Nelson was a prime example.

Really Dave? I am a lil surprised by your post...especially since GB's record last season was not becuase of poor play by Rodgers, but more on the defense and lack of running game. Way too many sacks thing is because they had a 3rd string Tackle going against the best pass rusher in football. How you can compare Rodgers to Rob is shocking, I mean Rob isnt even a quality backup with poor field vision, not QB IQ, and fumbles because the wind blows. Rodgers is one of the brightest young QB's in the game and a class act to boot. I bet if GB traded him they could easily get at min 2 first round picks right now...

Craziest part is he is doing all this behind a terrible O Line

Rob Johnson was known to do that too. In fact, in one such game in which he put up huge stats while playing through a sprained ankle, he so bewitched a visiting owner who happened to be attending the game as a guest of Wayne Weaver that said owner traded for him the next season: http://www.pro-football-reference.com/boxs...99708310rav.htm .

He was known to do this in only that one single game never to do it again...Rodgers continuously does this...

This is one of those times you gotta just throw in the towel and realize you stuck your foot in your mouth on this one... :devil:

In a word, confidence. THE single most important aspect to QBing. TE has NO confidence. That's been apparent for quite some time. As SOON as things go south for him in a game, he loses his confidence. And there is NOBODY talking to him on the sidelines from what I can see. Pitiful.

There's that PLUS the fact that Rodgers is just a better player at this point. I don't think anyone can be surprised by that, though.

GO BILLS!!!

In a word, confidence. THE single most important aspect to QBing. TE has NO confidence. That's been apparent for quite some time. As SOON as things go south for him in a game, he loses his confidence. And there is NOBODY talking to him on the sidelines from what I can see. Pitiful.

There's that PLUS the fact that Rodgers is just a better player at this point. I don't think anyone can be surprised by that, though.

GO BILLS!!!

I agree Rodgers is a better QB, but Edwards has a much better record. Are the Bills that much more talented of a team than the Packers?