Aaron Rodgers vs Trent Edwards

I'd pay triple for season tickets if the Bills had Aaron Rodgers and Jared Allen. Edwards is not in the same league as Rodgers. Stats are useless. Rodgers can play, Edwards can't. In fact, this is funny to me but I think Losman would beat out Edwards in Las Vegas right now. Edwards will be listed near the bottom of the Bills QB list among recent legends like JP, Rob Johnson, Billy Joe Hobert and Drew Bledsoe.

By the way, Jared Allen is a crazy nut job and a great, great player. Would kill for the Bills to have just one player like him. His enthusiam alone would do wonders for the sorry ass Bills. Although, Dick would probably tell him to tone it down and cut out all the sacks. No need for that.

The second you mentioned Losman, it made this post completely wrong. Edwards may be struggling but Losman sucked. I take it you stopped watching him play during last year.

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

While watching the game last night it became obvious to me that if we had Aaron on our team, we'd be 3-1 or maybe even 4-0. For those who think a QB doesn't make that much difference, last night's game should change your mind. If Trent had started last night's game for GB, they would have lost 56-7. Only TD on the fumble returned for TD by Matthews.

If GB had Fred Jackson in their backfield, they would have won.

The second you mentioned Losman, it made this post completely wrong. Edwards may be struggling but Losman sucked. I take it you stopped watching him play during last year.

For Edwards to be currently be struggling, that means at one point he was good. This simply isn't the case. What we are seeing is that the good games by Edwards (few and far between) were the exception, not the rule. Edwards is simply showing that he's a poor QB.

For Edwards to be currently be struggling, that means at one point he was good. This simply isn't the case. What we are seeing is that the good games by Edwards (few and far between) were the exception, not the rule. Edwards is simply showing that he's a poor QB.

Replace "Edwards" with "Losman" and we got the same thing we were saying in 2008.

...sigh....

Replace "Edwards" with "Losman" and we got the same thing we were saying in 2008.

...sigh....

Only difference being Losman actually put together a single good season. Edwards has yet to do even that. Funny thing is, both of their career numbers are eerily similar.

And the Edwards - Rodgers comparisons are laughable at best. Rodgers produced more in one season than Edwards has in his entire career.

Only difference being Losman actually put together a single good season. Edwards has yet to do even that. Funny thing is, both of their career numbers are eerily similar.

And the Edwards - Rodgers comparisons are laughable at best. Rodgers produced more in one season than Edwards has in his entire career.

Edwards is nowhere near Rogers at this point.

JP produced a decent 3/4 of one season.

I think it's pretty plainly a two pronged problem:

1 - our schemes are terrible in the passing game.

- we don't seem to run basic routes that are other teams bread and butter

- we don't make opposing teams pay for taking away our 2 wide-outs in the passing game - Josh Reed or Shawn Nelson should probably be the centerpiece of our offense. If they're going two safeties deep make Reed be the primary read. and kill them with 10-15 yard passes until they change it up and then that will free TO or Evans.

2 - Edwards is too scared to make the passes and force the issue

- the checking down itself isn't a problem, good qbs check down all the time, he just checks down too much.

- he doesn't have Aaron Rodger's arm.

I don't know if Edwards will ever be a "good" starting qb but he may be "good enough." Somebody has to prove that they can do the job better, however I have serious doubts that many qbs would have much success in the passing system we're trying to use.

Enh. Rogers may look better than Edwards, but the guy looks like the second coming of Rob Johnson to me. A California with good stats, not that many victories, way too many sacks, and some brittleness.

Some here might think you are nuts for saying that, but I do not...call him Rob Johnson Ultra.

Apart from tight end, I actually think Trent has MORE talent to work with at RB and WR. Just shows how a essential a QB with the courage to stand in and make plays is to a team.

Trent isn't that QB. After watching Rodgers under siege all game and still managing to throw over 350 yards and two INTS despite having one of the greatest DEs (J. Allen) driving him to the ground 5 times, I realized that true #1 QBs can play in the face of adversity.

Rodgers ate dirt, dusted himself off and made plays. Trent in that same situation would implode, run to the sidelines, fix his hair and start texting his bff mid-game that he wanted to go home.

Rodgers is probably better, hard to tell as the whole offense of the Pack is better. Line is significantly better coaching, better O scheme, Rodgers had a better mentor, recs are better YES THAT’S RIGHT… Driver, NEVER lets someone beat him to a ball, Jennings is fast and fight for ball too. Bills might have edge at RB, that’s it.

I feel Trent will continue to fail until he has the right supporting cast. He is not a HOF QB that will take the franchise on his back, he has a shot at becoming a reliable starter with a decent team around him but that window is closing too as you can only get beat down so long before the league casts you away.

I am positive a good team with an NFL caliber line, big receivers that attack the ball and a coaching staff that can impose some mental toughness could pull TE and make something of him.

IN watching this game tonight, I noticed some GLARING differences in what a QB with a BAD offensive line should be able to do:

1. Rodgers was arguably under siege MORE than Edwards vs Miami, yet he found the time to pass the ball to the middle of the field and hit receivers in stride between the hash marks.

2. Rodgers did not panic but bought as much time as possible to extend each play

3. Rodgers RARELY checked down but kept his progressions going even under fire to try and find a receiver down field.

While this might be a bad comparison, they have played roughly the same amount in this league with two pretty bad O-lines. For my money, I would take Rodgers in a heartbeat. My point of all this is that no matter how many excuses we keep making for Edwards, he still is the exception and not the rule when it comes to an NFL QB making plays. Others can do it behind worse lines and worse circumstances, yet TE struggles much of the time and makes excuses why he cannot get the ball down field. We should be able to expect from our starting QB what we see in Rodgers tonight. Now I'm sure coaching plays into it, and obviously McCarthy is better than Jauron, so maybe that makes it an uneven field. Thoughts??

Don't know.

Rodgers clearly has developed, while Edwards continues to flounder.

Lack of offensive line notwithstanding, Rodgers clearly is growing and demonstrating confidence not only in the pocket, but also as a player. Edwards is not.

Are all defensive coordinators so brilliant and other squads so talented so as to take out both Evans AND Owens every week? The change to AVP was supposed to work wonders for letting Trent "loose"; and indeed, after the Patriots game Trent looked like a QB.

But each week has now been a gradual decline in performance (for the whole team). Teams should be STARTING out rough and gradually improving and gaining momentum on what they can do well. Building, not subtracting. After 4 weeks now, is there anything that the Bills can claim to do well? Where are all of those screens used successfully against the Pats? The misdirections? The roll-outs?

2 years ago I don't think anybody would be saying Aaron Rodgers was better than anyone. In fact, prior to 2008 he was looking like an infamous bust of a first round draft pick. He compared more favorably to a David Carr or Rick Mirer than the leader he showed last year and is showing this one. His passes are crisp, on target, and he is decisive!

Boy, I wish Edwards could regain that poise. My wife- who only passingly watches football- thinks that Trent is still suffering from that concussion he obtained versus the Cardinals last year. I dismissed her out of what I assumed was ignorance, but she might be right. Edwards has not been the same player since that injury.

Was his confidence shot after the concussion? Is he "gun-shy"?

Don't know.

Rodgers clearly has developed, while Edwards continues to flounder.

Lack of offensive line notwithstanding, Rodgers clearly is growing and demonstrating confidence not only in the pocket, but also as a player. Edwards is not.

Are all defensive coordinators so brilliant and other squads so talented so as to take out both Evans AND Owens every week? The change to AVP was supposed to work wonders for letting Trent "loose"; and indeed, after the Patriots game Trent looked like a QB.

But each week has now been a gradual decline in performance (for the whole team). Teams should be STARTING out rough and gradually improving and gaining momentum on what they can do well. Building, not subtracting. After 4 weeks now, is there anything that the Bills can claim to do well? Where are all of those screens used successfully against the Pats? The misdirections? The roll-outs?

2 years ago I don't think anybody would be saying Aaron Rodgers was better than anyone. In fact, prior to 2008 he was looking like an infamous bust of a first round draft pick. He compared more favorably to a David Carr or Rick Mirer than the leader he showed last year and is showing this one. His passes are crisp, on target, and he is decisive!

Boy, I wish Edwards could regain that poise. My wife- who only passingly watches football- thinks that Trent is still suffering from that concussion he obtained versus the Cardinals last year. I dismissed her out of what I assumed was ignorance, but she might be right. Edwards has not been the same player since that injury.

Did your wife watch the KC game?

My wife- who only passingly watches football- thinks that Trent is still suffering from that concussion he obtained versus the Cardinals last year. I dismissed her out of what I assumed was ignorance, but she might be right. Edwards has not been the same player since that injury.

My wife who is a HUGE football fan says the same thing. If the team thinks this, they should release him tomorrow. This league is no plan for "gun-shy" players. How many concussions did Jimbo, Steve Young, Joe Montana, Roger Staubach, and Troy Aikman have? Comes with the territory.

I tend to think this is not the case. I just don't think he's very good.

Rodgers is better right now than Edwards. But its mostly confidence, not pure talent. He knows his system and team works and the Bills QB doesn't have that.

With that said, Van Pelt should watch how the Packers ran their offense last night. The Packers started the game by establishing Grant could hurt the Vikings by running or screens. They constantly moved the pocket and gave Rodgers high percentage passes early to build his confidence. They split Finley out and moved him around all night. He torched the Vikings all night. People forget with all of the Favre hoopla that Rodgers threw for almost 400 yds against one of the best defenses in the league in their house. If he doesn't make some mistakes or they get one of those two onside kicks, they might go to OT or even win that game.

Why can't the Bills move the pocket (like the Pats game) during the entire game. They certainly have the backs to hurt people. Why can't Shawn Nelson move around the way Finley did last night? Tight ends have torched the Dolphins all season and it seemed like Nelson wasn't even in the gameplan last week.

And if the Bills are going to run the no-huddle, make it a true no huddle. Give Edwards a chance with 3-4 plays and let him call them at the line given the defense. Get to the line quick and let the defenses tire out in their 3 point stances, while he reads and uses snap counts to keep pass rushes off balance. Let him use his greatest asset, his brain.

They have to get Edward's confidence back now. If he doesn't get through whatever is bothering him, then the Bills are destined for another rebuilding process and as much as everyone is dogging the Bills, do we really want that again??

Rodgers is better right now than Edwards. But its mostly confidence, not pure talent. He knows his system and team works and the Bills QB doesn't have that.

With that said, Van Pelt should watch how the Packers ran their offense last night. The Packers started the game by establishing Grant could hurt the Vikings by running or screens. They constantly moved the pocket and gave Rodgers high percentage passes early to build his confidence. They split Finley out and moved him around all night. He torched the Vikings all night. People forget with all of the Favre hoopla that Rodgers threw for almost 400 yds against one of the best defenses in the league in their house. If he doesn't make some mistakes or they get one of those two onside kicks, they might go to OT or even win that game.

Why can't the Bills move the pocket (like the Pats game) during the entire game. They certainly have the backs to hurt people. Why can't Shawn Nelson move around the way Finley did last night? Tight ends have torched the Dolphins all season and it seemed like Nelson wasn't even in the gameplan last week.

And if the Bills are going to run the no-huddle, make it a true no huddle. Give Edwards a chance with 3-4 plays and let him call them at the line given the defense. Get to the line quick and let the defenses tire out in their 3 point stances, while he reads and uses snap counts to keep pass rushes off balance. Let him use his greatest asset, his brain.

They have to get Edward's confidence back now. If he doesn't get through whatever is bothering him, then the Bills are destined for another rebuilding process and as much as everyone is dogging the Bills, do we really want that again??

The SOONER the BETTER.