Scrap the no-huddle against NO?

ColdBlueNorth

There was a post below about how to defend against the New Orleans offense, but I think that for this game our best defense is to keep their offense off the field for as long as possible.

Long sustained drives that eat up clock and keep Brees on the bench would be my recommendation. keep it close and hope for a big play or two down the stretch.

Thoughts?

There was a post below about how to defend against the New Orleans offense, but I think that for this game our best defense is to keep their offense off the field for as long as possible.

Long sustained drives that eat up clock and keep Brees on the bench would be my recommendation. keep it close and hope for a big play or two down the stretch.

Thoughts?

With weapons like Owens, Evans, Jackson, Reed and Nelson you want the Bills to win the game by turning back the clock to their 2008 offense by trying to keep the scoring down against a bad New Orleans defense???? Sorry, but that would be playing into New Orleans hands and almost guaranteeing a Bills defeat. The only way the Bills win is by outscoring New Orleans and hoping a jet engine-like loud crowd and a few lucky bounces tamper down the Saints point total. I'm looking for a 41-39 type shootout and possible Bills win. If they go with the plan that the "best defense is to keep their offense off the field" the Bills will lose 31-17.

Thoughts?

It s tough i agree. We dont watn Brees having 50 pass attempt like Brady did. We are just gonna have to purley outscore them and hopefully Brees is not as good on the road!!

A couple bounces our way would not hurt either. Like some turnovers or maybe a pick 6 again!

Go BILLs

Its gonna be a shootout (remember the no punt game vs the 49ers LOL)

How many did Detroit score against them?

I'll take my chances playing our game that their offense comes back down to earth on Sunday, and the way their D plays and the way Freddie is going with TO and Lee starting to get Trent throwing downfield that we can stick to our game an play our football and do fine. Now as mentioned, running down the playclock a little further in our no huddle will probably make sense, but the key will still be scoring points when we have the ball and stopping them from scoring when they have the ball. Reinventing our offense to try to cut a couple possessions off their end doesn't seem to make much sense.

Thoughts?

I think we match up against NO pretty well. Their defense isn't good and our offense seems to be at least above average. I don't think we've seen all we're going to see from our offense yet. (A lot of people are huge on Freddie J. right now, and why shouldn't we be, but we haven't seen Marshawn yet in this new offense, with TO and Lee stretching things out all over the field. It's hard to imagine, but Marshawn might be even more dominant than Fred has been.) To get back on subject... our defense also looks above average, and obviously their offense is one of, if not the best in the league. So on paper, I have to give NO the edge because they'll have the best team on the field, their offense.

To win this game, I think we need to win the turnover battle by at least +2 and score 27+ points. In theory it seems like your idea to have the bills run long drives and eat up a lot of clock by running a normal huddle style offense would work, but to me the question is can we actually do that. We seem to have a pretty good thing going with the no huddle. From a hypothetical standpoint it is a tough call. If it was me, I'd stay with no huddle only because that's what we have had success with so far.

Your point is valid though, I just don't think our offense can make a switch over and have success. They seem to be pretty committed to this approach.

Thoughts?

Jauron is that you?

Seriously though, I don't know much about the Saints offense other than they're scoring points at will the first 2 weeks. Keeping Brees on the bench would certainly be a good thing to do. However, I'm not sure the no huddle is what's causing our defense to play so much the first 2 games. So, I'll say "no" to scrapping the no huddle. Mostly because I don't think that, in and of itself, will sustain long drives.

Offensively, I'd say run first, pass second is typically how you control the clock and the tempo of the game. But, without Lynch it remains to be seen if we can run a ball control, grind it out, offensive game plan. But, I'd try.

Defensively, my first thought is to blitz the heck out of Brees. But, as other postes have pointed out, he responded to the blitz pretty effectively this week. So, maybe that's not the answer? I guess I'd look at the first 2 games and do the exact opposite of what the Lions and Eagles did.

In short, the Saints are a scoring machine right now. I have no idea how our defense can stop them. By far, the weakest link on our team has been the pass defense which bodes poorly for the Bills. Maybe the weather helps? Maybe Brees is due a poor game? Maybe Perry has a trick up his sleeve? It's gonna be great or horrible to watch.

Their defense isnt the best staying with the no huddle will only exploit this farther, my worry is our zone based defense though especially when we go soft zones. The way to control Brees will be to take away his receivers, then again he's so extremely accurate I'm not sure it can be done. It will most likely become a shootout which should be entertaining on paper but I'm just a wee bit worried that Brees his crew will have the more consistent production. Maybe the 12th man can be enough of a factor to force an upset; it will be important to stick with the team especially if we start trailing.

Jauron is that you?

Seriously though, I don't know much about the Saints offense other than they're scoring points at will the first 2 weeks. Keeping Brees on the bench would certainly be a good thing to do. However, I'm not sure the no huddle is what's causing our defense to play so much the first 2 games. So, I'll say "no" to scrapping the no huddle. Mostly because I don't think that, in and of itself, will sustain long drives.

Offensively, I'd say run first, pass second is typically how you control the clock and the tempo of the game. But, without Lynch it remains to be seen if we can run a ball control, grind it out, offensive game plan. But, I'd try.

Defensively, my first thought is to blitz the heck out of Brees. But, as other postes have pointed out, he responded to the blitz pretty effectively this week. So, maybe that's not the answer? I guess I'd look at the first 2 games and do the exact opposite of what the Lions and Eagles did.

In short, the Saints are a scoring machine right now. I have no idea how our defense can stop them. By far, the weakest link on our team has been the pass defense which bodes poorly for the Bills. Maybe the weather helps? Maybe Brees is due a poor game? Maybe Perry has a trick up his sleeve? It's gonna be great or horrible to watch.

Thanks Dan.

I got a few comments and you appeared to put a bit of thought into yours.

I honestly don't think that it is that difficult to take our current scheme and run it slower to keep Brees off the field. Trent and AVP have said in interviews that they can huddle up if they want. Hell, if we simply run it the way we did in the second half of the Tampa game that is still pretty slow for a no-huddle offense.

I just think that a team like NO comes around once in a great while - basically they've peaked on offense. They have been together for a while, they were amazing last year, and they are continuing that trend. Their defense is suspect, but their offense I believe can compensate for that.

My only thought is how does our offense help our defense out and quick 3 and out is a recipe for falling behind early and you don't want to do that against this team. I do not like our odds when you ask Trent to have a shootout with Brees.

He's not there yet.

Nothing should change offensively. We have to pressure Brees, its that simple. He likes those 5-7 step drops and to heave it. If it turns into a track meet we may be in for a long afternoon. Lets hope 2 strait road trips and a playing a physical defense wears on them late.

Can't focus too much on the pass or Bell will run for 100+, the guy has looked great recently.

We'll eat clock by running the ball right up the Saint's gut. So far, the Bills have carried the ball 30 times between the guards for 6.4 yards per rush.

The Saints haven't dealt with a hurry-up team yet, and they haven't faced a team that is in the plus side for turnovers. Hopefully we can be that team.

Thanks Dan.

I got a few comments and you appeared to put a bit of thought into yours.

I honestly don't think that it is that difficult to take our current scheme and run it slower to keep Brees off the field. Trent and AVP have said in interviews that they can huddle up if they want. Hell, if we simply run it the way we did in the second half of the Tampa game that is still pretty slow for a no-huddle offense.

I just think that a team like NO comes around once in a great while - basically they've peaked on offense. They have been together for a while, they were amazing last year, and they are continuing that trend. Their defense is suspect, but their offense I believe can compensate for that.

My only thought is how does our offense help our defense out and quick 3 and out is a recipe for falling behind early and you don't want to do that against this team. I do not like our odds when you ask Trent to have a shootout with Brees.

He's not there yet.

If you think that our currently designed offense can help keep this game close by huddling up and grinding out first downs while still putting touchdowns on the board (because the Saints WILL be scoring touchdowns) you're being foolish.

To win this game, the Bills must have TO and Evans involved from the first quarter to the fourth quarter. They must make plays down the field. They must get into a rhythm from the drop. Dump offs to Jackson and the tight ends just aint gonna cut it if your goal is to win this game.

Going no huddle, kill the clock, against a bad defense like New Orleans is like giving Edwards the keys to the Porsche and telling him to keep it under 30.

If Dick Jauron actually follows your plan I hope those neighborhood kids come out of the stands and spray paint "loser" on his face. That's if TO doesn't strangle him first.

Thoughts?

The no huddle has nothing to do with it.

GO BILLS!!!

Yep, I have to agree with the majority here...Going away from the no huddle is playing right into their hands. They just have to slow it down a little more. Even if you run the play clock down, you are still running the same no huddle...You can line up at the line of scrimmage and call a bunch of fake audibles to keep the defense from subbing players if you have to...

Plus, you have to stick with what has been working. The offense has moved very well on both the Pats* and the Bucs, and with NO's defense looking rough, we can most likely do the same thing there.

The thing that is going to win this game for Buffalo (aside from winning the TOP battle) is to limit your turnovers. Trent has to be smart with the football, and the ball carriers need to be concious of protecting the football. Look at the Eagles game this last week. That was a really tight 17-13 game at the half. The Eagles come out, fumble the kickoff, throw a pick, and all of a sudden, they are down 3 scores. Playing a smart game on offense, taking time off the clock and creating a turnover or two on defense will win this game for Buffalo. If they can't do that, it will be more than a long day...It will be a nightmare.

can still go no huddle and burn a lot of time. I don't think I'd change anything other than make sure we run the play clock down a little further. We need to make sure that we get points ourselves and I'm not sure changing our whole approach is a good idea.

+1 but I wouldn't waste too much time. The no huddle is only effective at a minimum pace. It doesn't have to be hurry up pace but fast enough to tire our defenders and prevent substitutions.