Scrap the no-huddle against NO?

ColdBlueNorth

This is a bold statement. I think the cover 2 might be the best defense to try to SLOW DOWN New Orleans. It is HIGHLY unlikely that we will stop them. I haven't watched every NO game this year and last but it seems to me that they light up the scoreboard with down field throws and good running. The cover 2 is designed to prevent the deep ball. If we can keep them throwing underneath and come up with some big plays in the running game we have a shot.

On offense as I have stated, I think we need to do what we need to do to score point. Play clock be damned. I also worry that if we slow down the no huddle we will expose our young line to substitutions, complex defensive shifts and scheming. In my opinion we are all thinking of the early 90's no huddle that scored SO quickly that the defense could get tired. We are running the no huddle but we aren't scoring nearly as quickly!!!

In my opinion the no huddle doesn't have a huge impact on the time of possession. If we run 60 plays and save 5 seconds a play by not huddling we lose a grand total of 2 minutes (120 sec) in time of possession. I don't think that is going to make the difference in winning or losing. If we get behind by a few TDs and have to throw every down we will lose the time of possession battle MUCH more quickly. THAT is what I am worried about. Keep NO throwing and running short to prevent them from racking up too many points too early so that we can still run the ball!

This is a bold statement. I think the cover 2 might be the best defense to try to SLOW DOWN New Orleans. It is HIGHLY unlikely that we will stop them. I haven't watched every NO game this year and last but it seems to me that they light up the scoreboard with down field throws and good running. The cover 2 is designed to prevent the deep ball. If we can keep them throwing underneath and come up with some big plays in the running game we have a shot.

On offense as I have stated, I think we need to do what we need to do to score point. Play clock be damned. I also worry that if we slow down the no huddle we will expose our young line to substitutions, complex defensive shifts and scheming. In my opinion we are all thinking of the early 90's no huddle that scored SO quickly that the defense could get tired. We are running the no huddle but we aren't scoring nearly as quickly!!!

In my opinion the no huddle doesn't have a huge impact on the time of possession. If we run 60 plays and save 5 seconds a play by not huddling we lose a grand total of 2 minutes (120 sec) in time of possession. I don't think that is going to make the difference in winning or losing. If we get behind by a few TDs and have to throw every down we will lose the time of possession battle MUCH more quickly. THAT is what I am worried about. Keep NO throwing and running short to prevent them from racking up too many points too early so that we can still run the ball!

If I'm AVP, I'm bringing in a special guest no huddle consultant (guru?), Jim Kelly this week. It couldn't hurt to have Kelly there to provide some guidance and help bring this no huddle thing to the next level. Edwards looks to be ready for the advanced course and this is the week we need to put up some big numbers.

can still go no huddle and burn a lot of time. I don't think I'd change anything other than make sure we run the play clock down a little further. We need to make sure that we get points ourselves and I'm not sure changing our whole approach is a good idea.

They certainly did against the Bucs. There was no-hurry in the no-huddle on Sunday, from what I saw.

What's nice about the no-huddle, is the Bills control the pace.

"If you think that our currently designed offense can help keep this game close by huddling up and grinding out first downs while still putting touchdowns on the board (because the Saints WILL be scoring touchdowns) you're being foolish."

Huh??

Yes, I do think that if our offense grinds out 1st downs and put touchdowns on the board we can keep the game close.

Looks like the concensus is to run the no-huddle full throttle.

I was asking for everyone's feedback on the idea.

I like our secondary, we have spent a lot of rounds to get quality defensive backs. Maybe Buffalo is just the right team to put the brakes on New Orleans.

I do think that Trent can easily keep the chains moving with our running game and the underneath stuff. We will get our shots down field.

Go Bills!!!

There was a post below about how to defend against the New Orleans offense, but I think that for this game our best defense is to keep their offense off the field for as long as possible.

Long sustained drives that eat up clock and keep Brees on the bench would be my recommendation. keep it close and hope for a big play or two down the stretch.

Thoughts?

Like your thinking of keeping the D fresh. BUT you could still go no-huddle and burn the clock. Look at that last TD drive the Bills had against the Pats* they were running no huddle but Trent was calling plays at the line taking his sweet time and just letting the clock burn for 7-10 seconds once in a while.

Also I would like to see a mix of hurry up no huddle and slow no huddle in order to throw off the NO defense and keep the pace of the game in the hands of Buffalo. I don't know what the defense can do but lets hope DJ (I am throwing up as I am saying this) can develop a coverage plan that can maybe limit what NO can do (Which leads me to believe that we are going to need to put up big points 35ish in order to win the game).

without the No Huddle Buffalo's offense may struggle, even against the Saints...Buffalo needs to continue doing what they have been, they need to blitz and make brees beat them, NO's line is not as good as the Pats or Bucs, send five or more on every down.