Whitlock believes Bills fans should BOO McKelvin

Vandalism or not... he ruined the efforts of his teammates.

More here...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1008458...s-fans/%27-boos

Silly Whitlock. After some thought, I think McKelvin did the right thing. Maybe he didn't realize at the time that he could have burned 6 seconds off the clock and use up the two minute warning when he ran out. But it was worth trying it in my opinion. Might as well try and deprive the Patsies of their free timeout. It didn't work out, but I think it was still worth the try. I think the Pats rolled a 20 on those two drives and McKelvin rolled a 1. ugh.

I think the fans should boo him. I think the vandalism has changed people's minds, but I can't figure out why. He lost the game single-handed. Say that's short-sighted or wrong, but don't pretend that the game would have been radically different if he didn't fumble.

He lost that game and took off the efforts of the team showing off. He should be penalized by the fans for ruining a great win for us. Screw'em

I think the fans should boo him. I think the vandalism has changed people's minds, but I can't figure out why. He lost the game single-handed. Say that's short-sighted or wrong, but don't pretend that the game would have been radically different if he didn't fumble.

He lost that game and took off the efforts of the team showing off. He should be penalized by the fans for ruining a great win for us. Screw'em

I think you're being a bit too harsh on him. At first I was very upset with him, but after further reflection, i think he did the right thing...considering the time left before the two minute warning. He can very well be a solid long term addition to our defense. Considering the circumstances i do not blame him at all. Honestly what good will it do to our team as a whole if our fans boo him? He covered the ball, he fumbled... it happens... He was trying to be aggressive and trying to help us win the game and take it to the Pats. Would you rather him be passive? Yes maybe some of you might say he should have taken a knee. But I'm glad we have guys who would take it to them instead of being passive. Long term, we have the right mentality. Be aggressive, Hit, dont stop til the whistle. Please, i hope you don't have the same mentality as Whitlock. He has interesting articles, but in McKelvin's case he's clueless. The game is over. Lets move on. We now know we actually do have an Offense. Lets progress from here. Let the past be.

He lost that game all by himself eh? I guess he was the only person playing defense after he fumbled the ball? And he was the only one on the field as the Pats marched it up with ease to score the TD before the kickoff too right?

The TEAM lost that game when it decided to play as conservative as possible on D and stop bringing the blitz that had worked so well thru three quarters. McKelvin made a big mistake, but blaming him for the loss is just idiotic.

Not to mention the Bills still had 50 seconds and two timeouts left to try and get in position for the game winning field goal....

But you're right, let's boo McKelvin. :devil::D :D

anyone actually see Brandon Merriwethers' helmet to helmet tackle attempt on the fumble? Maybe I havent read every thread and have missed some reactions to it....but I find it strange how I havent heard anything about it.

on the subject of helmet to helmet tackle no calls....sanyone see sergio kindles vs texas tech saturday? ouch!! sad how there was no call there either.

Let me guess, you never played any sport ever.

Spoken like a fat loser.

c'mon ppl...the fumble was bad, but the Bills still had 50 sec to get into fg range and win and they blew it...I'm not saying to give McKelvin a high five for the fumble, but the loss wasn't his fault...the Bills D should have kept Pats* from scoring so fast and the Bills O should have gotten into fg range instead of allowing 2 sacks to end the game.

I'm not in favor of booing McKelvin, the guy knows he f---ed up big time, all I hope for is that he learns from it and plays hard to redeem himself.

But as for those saying he shouldnt be blame for the loss, whatever scenario you guys try to come up with to not blame it on him, I just don't buy it. When the Pats kicked off there was only one play preventing us from winning , and it was fumbling the ball, and he goes out with the ball and fumbles. In any players mind before that play, he has to be thinking: "Whatever I do, don't fumble the ball, that's all I got to do, either take a knee or if I go out with the ball, just don't fumble." And we all know what happened....

If you want to cheer him yippeee - if I want to boo him don't judge me w/ overwrought sanctimony. Cripes - it's no different than any other athlete in the history of time who screwed up.

I'm not in favor of booing McKelvin, the guy knows he f---ed up big time, all I hope for is that he learns from it and plays hard to redeem himself.

But as for those saying he shouldnt be blame for the loss, whatever scenario you guys try to come up with to not blame it on him, I just don't buy it. When the Pats kicked off there was only one play preventing us from winning , and it was fumbling the ball, and he goes out with the ball and fumbles. In any players mind before that play, he has to be thinking: "Whatever I do, don't fumble the ball, that's all I got to do, either take a knee or if I go out with the ball, just don't fumble." And we all know what happened....

[/quote

I agree with your analysis "all he had to do was not fumble." Ideally, he returns the ball to burn the 2 minute warning but goes down outside the 20 as soon as anyone comes near him.

What irritates me with these athletes is they repeatedly show that your first sentence is not as self-contradictory as it seems. On its face, if McKelvin knows he messed up, you wouldn't have to worry about him learning from it. Knowing it was a mistake would imply not doing it again. But McKelvin has indicated that he doesn't know he messed up. He said he would do it the same way again, and again, and again.

With today's athlete, you have to worry that he doesn't know (or care) that he messed up. For the athlete, the benefits (individual adulation, big bucks) of making a great play outweigh the downside (the team loses) of a risky play. So, for McKelvin, the benefit of a big run back was much more enticing than the (so what) risk of the team losing from a fumble.

He's playing hard enough; I would rather McKelvin play intelligently to redeem himself.

And one more thing. I think I heard a commentator say "Good decision -- the risk of fumbling was very, very small." AAAAAAAGH. Just two kickoffs before, McKelvin had fumbled a kickoff!!!!!!

Vandalism or not... he ruined the efforts of his teammates.

More here...

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/1008458...s-fans/%27-boos

It may have been reckless, but Leodis is a Bill. How excited were you as a lifelong Bill's fan to be on the edge of defeating the so called best team in football on Monday Night in front of the entire nation. Leodis must have felt that too. We won't boo Leodis, we will show him love, because that's how we roll in Buffalo. Aren't we the nicest people in the country?

i blame both Jauron and Bobby April for the kickoff disaster as much as I blame McKelvin.

if we had any sort of pro-active, head-in-the-game coaching staff, SOMEONE would have gone up t McKelvin before he took the field, grabbed him by the face mask, looked him dead in the eye and said "Down the ball in the end zone if you can, but if you want to take it out, HOLD ONTO THE BALL AT ALL COSTS!"

It would have been better/acceptable if he had been tackled at the 5 yard line, rather than fumble the ball. there should have been a coach that put the fear of god in him if he fumbled the ball. instead, he was left to go out and try to be a cowboy...

So, Leodis was the only guy on defense those last 2 series? He was beaten in coverage on both of those TDs? Isn't it the coaches job to remind players of the situation and tell them what to do? Not to mention, there's absolutely no certainty the Bills would have run the clock out. With 3 dive plays and 4 time outs, they could have easily punted with plenty of time for a last second score to the TE.

Warren Sapp and Michael Irvin were VERY hard on McKelvin this morning. Irvin had a good point mentioning first it was a mistake to bring the ball out and second it was very dumb to head toward the middle of the field. He said pick a sideline because you can just step out and avoid a hit or if you do fumble, the ball has a chance to bounce out of bounds. Very good point which I haven't seen/heard made yet.

i blame both Jauron and Bobby April for the kickoff disaster as much as I blame McKelvin.

if we had any sort of pro-active, head-in-the-game coaching staff, SOMEONE would have gone up t McKelvin before he took the field, grabbed him by the face mask, looked him dead in the eye and said "Down the ball in the end zone if you can, but if you want to take it out, HOLD ONTO THE BALL AT ALL COSTS!"

It would have been better/acceptable if he had been tackled at the 5 yard line, rather than fumble the ball. there should have been a coach that put the fear of god in him if he fumbled the ball. instead, he was left to go out and try to be a cowboy...

what makes his play even more pathetic is that he did the same damn thing on the previous KO.

he brought out a kick that should have stayed in the endzone and then fumbled the ball.

He was fortunate it was recovered.

Based on that exercise in futility, the coaches should have parked him on the bench.

Warren Sapp and Michael Irvin were VERY hard on McKelvin this morning. Irvin had a good point mentioning first it was a mistake to bring the ball out and second it was very dumb to head toward the middle of the field. He said pick a sideline because you can just step out and avoid a hit or if you do fumble, the ball has a chance to bounce out of bounds. Very good point which I haven't seen/heard made yet.

well those crackerjack coaches called a middle return for no apparent reason- so that's where the ball went.

Silly Whitlock. After some thought, I think McKelvin did the right thing. Maybe he didn't realize at the time that he could have burned 6 seconds off the clock and use up the two minute warning when he ran out. But it was worth trying it in my opinion. Might as well try and deprive the Patsies of their free timeout. It didn't work out, but I think it was still worth the try. I think the Pats rolled a 20 on those two drives and McKelvin rolled a 1. ugh.

I don't think they are playing with the same dice we are... :thumbdown:

And you just proved why you are member #1 of "StupidNation"

So he lost a game single-handed by fumbling the ball, but yet you say the outcome wouldn't have been different if he didn't fumble the ball??? His only mistake was losing the ball, it happens, but the team had alrady let NE back into the game, the only thing the Turnover did was give the Pats the ball back sooner and the Bills more time to respond to the Pats being up by one.

Seriously, if you think the guy should be booed because of one bad play in a game that no one thought the Bills had a chance in, then you need to realise that football is only a game and get out and get a real life.

I agree with your analysis "all he had to do was not fumble." Ideally, he returns the ball to burn the 2 minute warning but goes down outside the 20 as soon as anyone comes near him.

What irritates me with these athletes is they repeatedly show that your first sentence is not as self-contradictory as it seems. On its face, if McKelvin knows he messed up, you wouldn't have to worry about him learning from it. Knowing it was a mistake would imply not doing it again. But McKelvin has indicated that he doesn't know he messed up. He said he would do it the same way again, and again, and again.

With today's athlete, you have to worry that he doesn't know (or care) that he messed up. For the athlete, the benefits (individual adulation, big bucks) of making a great play outweigh the downside (the team loses) of a risky play. So, for McKelvin, the benefit of a big run back was much more enticing than the (so what) risk of the team losing from a fumble.

He's playing hard enough; I would rather McKelvin play intelligently to redeem himself.

And one more thing. I think I heard a commentator say "Good decision -- the risk of fumbling was very, very small." AAAAAAAGH. Just two kickoffs before, McKelvin had fumbled a kickoff!!!!!!

The commentator was right, the risk of fumbling was very small. Unfortunately, it happened anyway. Up till that second fumble, he' d fumbled twice in 55 career returns. That is not a high percentage.

You can't have a returner who is shy to return the ball because he's afraid of fumbling. That's a recipe for consistent starts from the 20 yard-line.

And you can't blame Leodis for saying that after the game, before he had been coached on it. Before this game, he'd had one fumble in about 50 returns and aggression had worked well for him. Now, the coaching staff should have talked to him about it this week, and if he still thinks the same thing, that would be a huge problem. But thinking it right after the game is understandable. Nobody had the time to coach him in the last two minutes, after the fumble, while they were trying to win a game.

How do you know that didn't happen? You don't, and the Bills aren't talking.