Mike Lombardi roasts the Bills' Front Office

Coach Tuesday

This is the guy I want brought in as GM. Underrated as a personnel evaluator when he was in Oakland.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-...ughts-2603.html

Money quote: "The design of this team has been bad, and at some point the Bills have to get someone in their building who can build a team that can compete with the Dolphins, the Patriots and even the Jets on and (most critically) off the field. The Bills are going nowhere until they admit their planning and design has been flawed. They need one person in the building, a coach or personnel man, who can make the right choices and design the right plan because the level of competition in the AFC East is and will remain very fierce and intellectually challenging."

Ouch.

Marv talked about building consensus, because he knew that it would take others to assist him in re-building the team. There is no such thing as consensus at OBD. RW is the man making the big decisions, particularly financial.

Who is making the decisions is ultimately responsible for the success or failure of the team. Unfortunately, the front office dynamic is shrouded in mystery, so no one takes the blame. There is no one with personnel experience in the front office charged with making decisions. And it shows in these rash moves just prior to opening Day 09.

This is the guy I want brought in as GM. Underrated as a personnel evaluator when he was in Oakland.

http://www.nationalfootballpost.com/Diner-...ughts-2603.html

Money quote: "The design of this team has been bad, and at some point the Bills have to get someone in their building who can build a team that can compete with the Dolphins, the Patriots and even the Jets on and (most critically) off the field. The Bills are going nowhere until they admit their planning and design has been flawed. They need one person in the building, a coach or personnel man, who can make the right choices and design the right plan because the level of competition in the AFC East is and will remain very fierce and intellectually challenging."

Ouch.

Is this the guy who evaluated Jamarcus Russel?

Guest dog14787
Marv talked about building consensus, because he knew that it would take others to assist him in re-building the team. There is no such thing as consensus at OBD. RW is the man making the big decisions, particularly financial.

Who is making the decisions is ultimately responsible for the success or failure of the team. Unfortunately, the front office dynamic is shrouded in mystery, so no one takes the blame. There is no one with personnel experience in the front office charged with making decisions. And it shows in these rash moves just prior to opening Day 09.

Without a proper GM there is no structure.

And where are the people making decisions? Why have they not come out and explained what the hell is going on? Shouldn't Russ be out front telling us what they are thinking when making these moves?

Definitely hit the nail on the head. Nothing really left to say, other than hoping by some miracle that Trent Edwards turns out to be capable and Van Pelt runs a Jim Kelly type offense.

Its RW's team and the man is a legend but is in over his head when it comes to competing in the 21st century. He's running the Bills like this is still 1990. Times have changed.

The Bills are a mess. There's no other way to put it. I've defended RW and Jauron for a long time,but it's just impossble to do it now. The OC and left tackle both gone days before the season opener? I'm sad to say,this team has become a joke.

No, this is the guy that is no longer a GM in the NFL.

He is no longer a GM in the NFL because he was accused by Art Shell of backstabbing him during the Great Shell Implosion. I wouldn't hold that against him. I'd rather a Has-Been than a Never-Was. Really, is that the best you can do Tips?

He is no longer a GM in the NFL because he was accused by Art Shell of backstabbing him during the Great Shell Implosion. I wouldn't hold that against him. I'd rather a Has-Been than a Never-Was. Really, is that the best you can do Tips?

The guy has a job to and that is to write. I'm not happy about what's happening but Lombardi isn't the end all. Unless I'm seriously mistaken I'm not going to just write off our organization because what a beat writer is professing. I still think that there is options for us to take advantage of. I don't believe that we got rid of our T and not have a plan or idea on how to compensate for it. Maybe I'm wrong.

I think the Bills made a conscsious decision to change the direction of the team, which is evident with their draft--they realized their O-line needed to be more mobile and tougher. The next epiphany will be that the cover2 can't get you to the playoffs unless you have Pro Bowl caliber players at a couple of key positions.

Former GMs who got fired and now get to be "experts" as a sports writers offer me nothing.

How is this any different than TD criticizing us?

Um, how about he has more experience than our *real* GM? This is the closest you're going to get when it comes to quality analysis. I really doubt Ozzie Newsome is going to take the opportunity to explain the Bills' problems while he's still employed as a GM in the League.

Um, how about he has more experience than our *real* GM? This is the closest you're going to get when it comes to quality analysis. I really doubt Ozzie Newsome is going to take the opportunity to explain the Bills' problems while he's still employed as a GM in the League.

Please tell me the draft picks and moves that our current GM has messed up on.