Aaron Maybin update from JW

Beerball

Most interesting part of that article is the general lack of optimism the coaches have about Maybin's abilities as of now. Maybe they were just showing their frustration from the hold out, but it was a bit worrisome to read Fewell's comments.

I think Maybin's success is going to depend on just how athletic he is. If he can play a hybrid Linebacker/ DE type position, he is going to be fine. But, at his size, if he thinks he can line up against Jake Long w/o getting mauled, there are going to be a lot of angry Bills fans.

I was a fan of that Maybin pick at the time because Orakpo reminded me too much of Gholston. However, I was and continue to be surprised that the Bills would continue to build their defense with undersized players.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I was never impressed with Orakpo the player. I think Everette Brown and Maybin are interchangable this year as far as talent, with more polish on Brown, but more upside with Maybin.

Still don't like the Maybin pick. Would have went Oher, I like the Wood pick, and snagged Brown in the 2nd.

Guess we can't have Cornelius Bennett expectations- Holdout until traded from the Colts on Halloween; only to destroy Elway in his first game. My how I long for the day when we had the balls to make deals and draft stars.... :wallbash:

Odd isn't it? The things that can happen when you go for talent and damn the checkbook. But these last 9 years of shrewd contract negotiating has been ever so much more fun.

I've watched Scott play a little bit and he's not that bad- the truth is Maybin is gonna give up 50-100lbs to OTs and he doesn't have the type of lower body strength someone like Bruce Smith had, so if he's gonna win it's going to be with Superior speed and techniques, I don't think the technique is going to be there for awhile.

Thanks! :thumbsup:

What's a rational thought? Perhaps you can provide a link from this board that highlights one. I'll wait.

It's very difficult, ne' impossible to post future posts. :ph34r:

I expect to see some flashes of potential this year but realistically, I don't expect to see much out of him until next year. And next year I'll expect 10+ sacks. :D

:thumbsup: What he said.

Not to turn this into a college football post, but I see Penn St has that brutal out of conference schedule again this year. Man, with Akron, Temple, Syracuse & Eastern Illinois on the OOC slate, I do not know how they are going to run that gauntlet. & what a surprise, they are all in Happy Valley. I hope Penn St runs the table this year & gets left out of the NC. It would serve that Old coke bottle 4 eyed f*cker right for not having the balls to play anybody.

Syracuse rises from the dead this year and has a winning record! Ya heard it here first! BANK ON IT DUDE!! Lori's not gonna be a happy camper after the Syracuse game this year! :ph34r:

The point being we evaluated talent better in the 90's, wouldn't pass on a defensive tackle for a cornerback, etc. :ph34r::thumbsup::thumbsup::D

Actually, defensive tackle was THE weak spot on our 1990s teams. Not only that but we drafted a CB #1 James Williams in 1990, a Safety #1 in 1991 Henry Jones, drafted an OT in 92, drafted a CB #1 Thomas Smith in 1993 and a CB #1 Jeff Burris in 1994. So I guess that shoots your theory.

Actually, defensive tackle was THE weak spot on our 1990s teams. Not only that but we drafted a CB #1 James Williams in 1990, a Safety #1 in 1991 Henry Jones, drafted an OT in 92, drafted a CB #1 Thomas Smith in 1993 and a CB #1 Jeff Burris in 1994. So I guess that shoots your theory.

Facts! We doan need no stinkin facts!

Syracuse rises from the dead this year and has a winning record! Ya heard it here first! BANK ON IT DUDE!! Lori's not gonna be a happy camper after the Syracuse game this year! :ph34r:

Hahahahaha...

Talked to Scott Pitoniak the other night. During our chat, when I mentioned that I went to PSU, he immediately replied, "I hope your alma mater takes it easy on mine in football this year." (He, of course, is a proud 'Cuse grad -- in fact, I believe he's in their J-school's Hall of Fame. And FWIW, he likes Paulus. Saw him play in high school. His take: Syracuse will pin hopes on Paulus)

Hahahahaha...

Talked to Scott Pitoniak the other night. During our chat, when I mentioned that I went to PSU, he immediately replied, "I hope your alma mater takes it easy on mine in football this year." (He, of course, is a proud 'Cuse grad -- in fact, I believe he's in their J-school's Hall of Fame. And FWIW, he likes Paulus. Saw him play in high school. His take: Syracuse will pin hopes on Paulus)

We shall see what we shall see. :ph34r:

I guess we'll talk on Sept. 13th!! :thumbsup:

Holy crap- talking about taking Whitner and McCargo over a real DT that we desperately needed. That's my theory.

Holy crap- talking about taking Whitner and McCargo over a real DT that we desperately needed. That's my theory.

I agree we don't have good talent evaluators now, they stink in fact. But what you said was, "The point being we evaluated talent better in the 90's, wouldn't pass on a defensive tackle for a cornerback", which was the opposite of the case. We didn't evaluate DTs back then well either as Jeff Wright was our weak spot, AND we passed on DTs for cornerbacks then more back then than we do now. :ph34r: Holy crap. :thumbsup:

He's trying to make the old and tired "...and we end up with a mediocre safety and a bust instead of that monster in the middle!" complaint without going through the effort of typing all that.

Gotcha.

I really hope fans don't expect too much from him in the first few games. It would be a blessing if he gets any real pressure on the QB on any semblance of a consistent basis before mid season. What we can hope for is signs of his speed and athleticism on random plays that make him something of a factor on that particular play. He's just not going to be used to the intensity, agility, strength, or tricks of the players he is up against in a regular season game for quite some time. He's very young, he's very inexperienced, he's quite small and he missed most of camp. If he has a single sack early in the season it should be a bonus.

But, I thought the idea was they drafted him with the expectation of immediate contribution...There were a number of reasons for this:

1. Drafted in #11 spot...and folks going that high are expected to contribute sooner rather than later. How many articles have we read about how the Bills expect immediate help in QB pressures/sacks arena from this pick

2. They were going to him situationally. Most likely in passing situations, to help accentuate his strengths as a rusher.

3. He plays DE and the assignments/learning process is supposed to be less extensive than other positions

He is young and inexperienced, but it's perfectly reasonable to have high expectations for him early. While we don't want to condemn him during preseason, he needs to start making contributions within a couple of weeks into the season to justify the pick.

But, I thought the idea was they drafted him with the expectation of immediate contribution...There were a number of reasons for this:

1. Drafted in #11 spot...and folks going that high are expected to contribute sooner rather than later. How many articles have we read about how the Bills expect immediate help in QB pressures/sacks arena from this pick

2. They were going to him situationally. Most likely in passing situations, to help accentuate his strengths as a rusher.

3. He plays DE and the assignments/learning process is supposed to be less extensive than other positions

He is young and inexperienced, but it's perfectly reasonable to have high expectations for him early. While we don't want to condemn him during preseason, he needs to start making contributions within a couple of weeks into the season to justify the pick.

Maybe it's all part of some massive hush-hush campaign. Perhaps the Bills really ARE going to roll to a 3-4. Do you think any of US would be told? Someone - Russ Brandon? - has already made the determination that this is the future, and pushed for the pick, assuming that Maybin would be a MONSTER at OLB. What's standing in the way? Jauron and Fewell. Think about it.......