Aaron Maybin update from JW

Beerball

Guess we can't have Cornelius Bennett expectations- Holdout until traded from the Colts on Halloween; only to destroy Elway in his first game. My how I long for the day when we had the balls to make deals and draft stars.... :wallbash:

good post, you nailed it. i was at that game and you could tell from the first play on defense bennett was going to be a star

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

If he's having trouble with Jonathan Scott what do you think is gonna happen when he plays against the starting level talent of opposing teams? I don't know how much of missing camp has anything to do with his ability to generate pressure off the edge.

Guess we can't have Cornelius Bennett expectations- Holdout until traded from the Colts on Halloween; only to destroy Elway in his first game. My how I long for the day when we had the balls to make deals and draft stars.... :wallbash:

Well if Maybin played four years of major college football instead of slightly over one year like Bennett did, and was the second overall pick instead of eleventh, and was oversized for his position instead of undersized, like Bennett was, we probably could expect more out of him.

Btw, did you just "I'm not worthy" your own post?

If he's having trouble with Jonathan Scott what do you think is gonna happen when he plays against the starting level talent of opposing teams? I don't know how much of missing camp has anything to do with his ability to generate pressure off the edge.

maybe schoebel and kelsay can teach him everything they know, should take about two minutes

Interesting article. I'll be at the game tomorrow so I'm really curious to see if Maybin gets in and where they put him. Given his youth, relatively light weight, had to add 20 lbs just to get to 250, and the fact that he's missed so much practice, I kind of think they should use him as an OLB for the next year or 2 until he fills out then maybe move him back to DE.

Get Copeland or Ellis some 1st team DE work and see if they can handle it. To me, Maybin's going to have to rely on superior quickness, technique and be super-aware of what's going on around him to be successful at DE with his current size (just like Bruce Smith). After only 1 week of practice as a rookie, I worry he'll get smashed up/injured if inserted at DE tomorrow. Throw him in at OLB in passing situations and see what kind of pass rush he can generate.

If Copeland/Ellis can perform capably with the 1st teamers, maybe coaches can groom Maybin for OLB this year. It'd be nice to push Ellison to the bench.

Just my opinion, but given the current situation, I think Maybin would make the quickest (and possibly best) contribution being an OLB this year.

Don't sleep on Stuparman! Right now I think he is our best and most complete TE. He's the ONLY guy I see working the middle of the field 7 - 17 yds out not to mention I think is potentially our best blocker. SOOOO not impressed with Shouman!

Maybin is a project and we should set our expectations accordingly. In my opinion he was drafted because he has more "upside" than Orakpo who at this point is probably maxed out physically and won't get any faster.

that's what you get drafting a player from penn state, has any school created more busts in the league

Dunno about that, but only USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Alabama have created more Hall of Famers ...

Dunno about that, but only USC, Notre Dame, Michigan, and Alabama have created more Hall of Famers ...

and who's in the league right now or in the last 10 years play at HOF level from penn state. the pig 10 is the most overrated division in college football.

Interesting article. I'll be at the game tomorrow so I'm really curious to see if Maybin gets in and where they put him. Given his youth, relatively light weight, had to add 20 lbs just to get to 250, and the fact that he's missed so much practice, I kind of think they should use him as an OLB for the next year or 2 until he fills out then maybe move him back to DE.

Get Copeland or Ellis some 1st team DE work and see if they can handle it. To me, Maybin's going to have to rely on superior quickness, technique and be super-aware of what's going on around him to be successful at DE with his current size (just like Bruce Smith). After only 1 week of practice as a rookie, I worry he'll get smashed up/injured if inserted at DE tomorrow. Throw him in at OLB in passing situations and see what kind of pass rush he can generate.

If Copeland/Ellis can perform capably with the 1st teamers, maybe coaches can groom Maybin for OLB this year. It'd be nice to push Ellison to the bench.

Just my opinion, but given the current situation, I think Maybin would make the quickest (and possibly best) contribution being an OLB this year.

or he could lose 20 pounds and play cornerback, that would make dj happy

What's a rational thought? Perhaps you can provide a link from this board that highlights one. I'll wait.

It is easier to understand what many here believe to be rational thought is in fact rational ignorance.

Rational ignorance: Choosing to remain uninformed because the marginal cost of obtaining the information is higher than the marginal benefit of knowing it.

Commonly practiced by hicks that don't wish to change their point of views about ANYTHING.

Well if Maybin played four years of major college football instead of slightly over one year like Bennett did, and was the second overall pick instead of eleventh, and was oversized for his position instead of undersized, like Bennett was, we probably could expect more out of him.

Btw, did you just "I'm not worthy" your own post?

The point being we evaluated talent better in the 90's, wouldn't pass on a defensive tackle for a cornerback, etc. Btw I as a Bills fan hope Maybin is lights out :wallbash::unsure::lol::lol:

Since I just got flagged for trying to access a gambling site at work, can you give us a hint at what's contained within?

Sure, I read the article. Just your basic comments from Perry Fewell, reminding us how far behind Maybin is in learning the schemes and assignments. Of course, Fewell can be given Bruce Smith on one side and L.T. on the other, and still figure out how to come up with a defensive alignment that cannot pressure the quarterback.

Don't you love watching Aaron Schoebel trying to catch up with a running back or tight end after a 30 yard pass and catch burns one of Fewell's ingenius alignments out of his "cover-0", "11-gap" defense he runs?? Just imagine, Bruce Smith may have broken the all-time interceptions record instead of the sacks record if Fewell had been his d-coordinator his entire career!!

All I am looking for out of Maybin while Fewell is his coach, if for his natrual ability and speed to create some havoc during the plays Fewell allows him to participate in during the first 4 or 5 weeks of the season, while he catches up on his studying!

I really hope fans don't expect too much from him in the first few games. It would be a blessing if he gets any real pressure on the QB on any semblance of a consistent basis before mid season. What we can hope for is signs of his speed and athleticism on random plays that make him something of a factor on that particular play. He's just not going to be used to the intensity, agility, strength, or tricks of the players he is up against in a regular season game for quite some time. He's very young, he's very inexperienced, he's quite small and he missed most of camp. If he has a single sack early in the season it should be a bonus.

Exactly right.

Maybin appears to have the physical attributes of a great OLB in a 3-4 alignment. If he comes off as advertised and the next Bills coach commits to the 3-4 they might be able to build a defense around this guy.

that's what you get drafting a player from penn state, has any school created more busts in the league

Just curious....who are the busts you refer to from Penn State?

I can think of 5 "confirmed" busts in 25 years.

Todd Blackledge

Courtney Brown

3 headed RB monster - Curtis Enis, Kijana Carter & Blair Thomas.

Just curious....who are the busts you refer to from Penn State?

I can think of 5 "confirmed" busts in 25 years.

Todd Blackledge

Courtney Brown

3 headed RB monster - Curtis Enis, Kijana Carter & Blair Thomas.

geez, how many do you want. the other question is how many have actually succeeded (I'm still on the fence with Poz hoping he gets good this year, and kerry collins, who seems to be redeeming himself)

and who's in the league right now or in the last 10 years play at HOF level from penn state. the pig 10 is the most overrated division in college football.

how many guys in the last 10 years or currenty are playing at a hall of fame level in the whole league? Here some skill position guys to start the list, but there isn't a lot.

QB - Manning, Brady, Favre

RB - Tomlinson, Faulk

WR - Moss, T.O., Harrison

TE - Gonzalez, Gates

There's a NCAA bench warming QB, an undersized NCAA basketball player and guys from football programs that are marginal at best. UT, Michigan, Southern Miss, TCU, San Diego St, Marshall, Tenn-Chat., Syracuse, Cal and Kent State.

The draft is a crap shoot. It doesn't matter where the guy played.

Not to turn this into a college football post, but I see Penn St has that brutal out of conference schedule again this year. Man, with Akron, Temple, Syracuse & Eastern Illinois on the OOC slate, I do not know how they are going to run that gauntlet. & what a surprise, they are all in Happy Valley. I hope Penn St runs the table this year & gets left out of the NC. It would serve that Old coke bottle 4 eyed f*cker right for not having the balls to play anybody.

Not to turn this into a college football post, but I see Penn St has that brutal out of conference schedule again this year. Man, with Akron, Temple, Syracuse & Eastern Illinois on the OOC slate, I do not know how they are going to run that gauntlet. & what a surprise, they are all in Happy Valley. I hope Penn St runs the table this year & gets left out of the NC. It would serve that Old coke bottle 4 eyed f*cker right for not having the balls to play anybody.

I think the point is that it's going to take maybin awhile to learn how to play football against real competition