Preferential Treatment of TO?

GG

Interesting nugget from today's Wawrow piece on the front page:

"Owens worked inside the Bills field house while the team spent most of the session outdoors in a persistent rain."

It was understood that he would command prima dona status, but there is a breaking point where the team mates won't tolerate the obvious preferential treatment.

Separate practice time. Didn't have to be with the team during practice until this week. Was he in the press box for the Chicago game? Did he go to Green Bay? Little by little it will add up.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"Owens worked inside the Bills field house while the team spent most of the session outdoors in a persistent rain."

It was understood that he would command prima dona status, but there is a breaking point where the team mates won't tolerate the obvious preferential treatment.

Separate practice time. Didn't have to be with the team during practice until this week. Was he in the press box for the Chicago game? Did he go to Green Bay? Little by little it will add up.

thanks for reading today rather than waiting for my rehash, G(orgeous) G(eorge) ... kidding.

would point out that many teams, bills aren't the only one, that don't have injured players travel with them for preseason games. ... also failed to mention in my story that James Hardy also practiced indoors with T.O. while team was outside. ... reason i didn't mention Hardy is because he's been working out individually for quite some time and there is still no real timetable in regards to when he might be cleared.

don't know if he's getting any more prima donna status than Bruce Smith did in his days in Buffalo.

sideline observation from Tuesday's practice: Owens stood behind the offense during team drills and would time Edwards' count and take off on his own on the snap, as if he were actually lined up at scrimmage. i've not seen many injured players (veterans or rookies) do that during practice in my 10 years here.

... for what it's worth.

jw

So it sounds like he is staying involved. He'll be fine by opening night...I can't wait to see him out there for real. Work ethic has never been TO's problem. He's in shape, he knows the playbook, he'll make plays when it counts.

Yeah, DJ's sandbagging with TO on the bench---a secret weapon!

Look, TO is not going to play in the preseason, beyond his token appearance in game one. My guess is that if the season started Sunday, he would be playing with no evidence of injury. If any there is any "prima donna" treatment, it is this arrangement with the Bills that he doesn't need to play these games.

Nothing wrong with such an arrangement-the guy's aging and sees no need to put himself at risk for injury in the preseason. It's not like he couldn't figure out "Turk" Schonert's mind boggling offensive scheme by watching last year's film.

Besides--other NFL stars have the same type of arrangement. LT doesn't play in the preseason. Although he doens't play much in the postseason either....

thanks for reading today rather than waiting for my rehash, G(orgeous) G(eorge) ... kidding.

Total fluke. Expect the story to bet delivered tomorrow.

would point out that many teams, bills aren't the only one, that don't have injured players travel with them for preseason games. ... also failed to mention in my story that James Hardy also practiced indoors with T.O. while team was outside. ... reason i didn't mention Hardy is because he's been working out individually for quite some time and there is still no real timetable in regards to when he might be cleared.

don't know if he's getting any more prima donna status than Bruce Smith did in his days in Buffalo.

sideline observation from Tuesday's practice: Owens stood behind the offense during team drills and would time Edwards' count and take off on his own on the snap, as if he were actually lined up at scrimmage. i've not seen many injured players (veterans or rookies) do that during practice in my 10 years here.

... for what it's worth.

jw

My concern is that the resentment may start to build among the players. Bruce got the benefit of doubt because he grew up with the team. I can't shake the view that TO is a mercenary - a good one at that, but certainly not a player who would bleed Bills red white & blue.

My concern is that the resentment may start to build among the players. Bruce got the benefit of doubt because he grew up with the team. I can't shake the view that TO is a mercenary - a good one at that, but certainly not a player who would bleed Bills red white & blue.

Bruce got the benefit of the doubt because when it came to game day he went out and kicked ass on the field. If he had skipped training camp and come out and played like Chris Kelsay, it wouldn't matter whether he grew up with the team or not.

Total fluke. Expect the story to bet delivered tomorrow.

will try better on the delivery tomorrow, but must first consult with my circulation department ....

as for your concerns, they're fair ones. it's too early in my opinion to tell right now.

jw

I don't think there is any question he is a mercenary. This is a one year experiment. Even if all goes well and they finish 9-7 or even 10-6. I don't think he'll be back....but it will at least show the team that Evans is better suited as a number 2 guy and we need a stud #1 to make the offense go. Then you go after Boldin or Colston or the like.

Imagine the tard fest if Whitner, Schobel, or Kelsey accidentally stepped on his foot.

They're doing us all a favor.

Would you be referring to the tard fest that would occur here, in the media or at practice amongst the players?

The word tard fest leads me to believe you meant the former? :lol:

IMO... he is fine. The Bills are keeping him off the field so Belicheat cannot gameplan against Buffalos new offense.

Thats what I think will come out later on during the season

Do you really believe Jauron is that smart when it comes to beating Bellicheat*? This is a man who could not manage timeouts during a game and looked like a dazed idiot as Bellicheat* took him to school on a windy day at the ralph. No different than the other 5 games Bellicheat* made him look stupid in. :lol::lol:

He's a $6.5 million dollar investment in hopes that he can help our offense put enough points on the board to actually win more than 7 games in a season. Heck, even challenge for a playoff spot. Keep him healthy, keep him happy and he WILL produce on the field. If he was 100% he would've been out there, but he's not. Why take an unnecessary risk of further injury practicing in the rain?

I wouldn't want a guy with a toe injury practicing with other players either. Imagine the tard fest if Whitner, Schobel, or Kelsey accidentally stepped on his foot.

They're doing us all a favor.

Tard fest! LMAO! Gets me every time.

Tardapalooza?

GO BILLS!!!

as soon as ANY of our other players consistently perform at the level that TO has, they can get preferential treatment too.

id be surprised if any player was offended by the way we're handling TO since none of them are even close to his level of play.

Yes you want a star receiver with a spranged big toe running around outside where it is slippery so he can reinjure it again. Makes sense to me.

Where do people come up with this stuff. I don't think people realize that TO is/was close to getting Turf Toe.

I don't think there is any question he is a mercenary. This is a one year experiment. Even if all goes well and they finish 9-7 or even 10-6. I don't think he'll be back....but it will at least show the team that Evans is better suited as a number 2 guy and we need a stud #1 to make the offense go. Then you go after Boldin or Colston or the like.

If Evans plays well this year (which he will), it will just prove the Bills need another GOOD receiver opposite him so the other team can't double & triple team him every play. I would love to see TO finish out his career in Buffalo, much like HOF James Lofton.

I'm not saying that it was necessarily preferential treatment inciting jealousy, but I thought this was kind of strange

What encouraged Jauron even more was after going through 20 minutes of rehab drills, Owens stayed on the field and watched the remainder of practice.

“In the past the one day that he came out and worked we didn’t have him stand on it,” said Jauron. “After working on it he said it felt good enough to stand out and watch the rest of practice.”

He hasn't been even out on the practice field because he couldn't stand on it? That's one serious toe injury :lol: Maybe they could give him a chair or something to lean on...

http://www.buffalobills.com/news/article-3...20-98f9dfe9810c