Maybin Signed per ESPN

H2o

• Replies 167
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

I think ESPN may have lured him away. From what I hear, the two networks hate each other and will do just about anything to steal the other's talent.

I can't remember the details, but I remember reading something about that. Supposedly he had a contract ready to sign, but the day he was supposed to make it official ESPN made a better offer and he signed with them. (again, I can't remember very well, so this may be wrong)

So is this contract dead-on compared to what the Joe Schmoe's predicted considering the slotting?

As a Joe Schmoe, I am qualified to answer this. It's pretty much exactly what the slotting would have predicted. And if the slotting proves as predictive about the Guaranteed $ as it did about the total contract value, that should be about $15mm give or take a million.

NFL Network tried to get Mark Schlereth when they heard his contract was up.

i forgot about him.

add him to the list with berman,jackson,jaws.

i like schlereth because he's not a ballwasher like most others on espn. he was one of the first to publicly call out favre for holding the nfl season hostage

Pretty much...

The #9 pick has signed a five-year, $28.5 million deal with $18M guaranteed

The #12 pick has signed a five-year, $23 million deal with $13M guaranteed

Perhaps Maybin's agent had been hoping for the Crabtree deal to get done; but with camp ending and Crabtree's deal nowhere in sight Maybin and/or his agent settled for the "standard" deal the Bills put on the table a month ago?

As a Joe Schmoe, I am qualified to answer this. It's pretty much exactly what the slotting would have predicted. And if the slotting proves as predictive about the Guaranteed $ as it did about the total contract value, that should be about $15mm give or take a million.

That's just irritating. Deal should have been done a week ago, at least. Oh well, we'll take what we can get.

FWIW, yes, ESPN made Schefter an offer he couldn't refuse. Not sure whether his contract was actually up when he stopped appearing on NFLNet and he had to sit out a noncompete clause before officially signing with the WWL, or if they just mutually decided to part ways.

And he was a pretty good beat guy before he ever signed up to do TV. Jasno La Canfora is stepping into some mighty big shoes.

Brother Kawika, preaching the good word on Twitter:

Ka_Mitchell55 Just saw 58 n the locker room. Good to have him on board. Hope he sticks some nasty stankin dirty ass socks n all the mouths who hated.

I was going by this one: http://www.buffalobills.com/team/roster.html. Do the printouts they give you still include Sam?

I'm sure this is going to be a stupid question, but I have to ask. What's the difference between "1" and "R" in the years column? Are the 1's players who haven't actually appeared on an active roster (previous practice squad and IRed players)?

FWIW, yes, ESPN made Schefter an offer he couldn't refuse. Not sure whether his contract was actually up when he stopped appearing on NFLNet and he had to sit out a noncompete clause before officially signing with the WWL, or if they just mutually decided to part ways.

And he was a pretty good beat guy before he ever signed up to do TV. Jasno La Canfora is stepping into some mighty big shoes.

Brother Kawika, preaching the good word on Twitter:

Schefter was (reportedly) told to pound sand when he asked for 1Mil a year. They told him no thanks, and asked him to return his blackberry

Not sure how accurate this is, but I remember hearing that once he didn't re-up with NFL network and told them about the ESPN deal, they had him sit out the rest of his contract.

I'm sure this is going to be a stupid question, but I have to ask. What's the difference between "1" and "R" in the years column? Are the 1's players who haven't actually appeared on an active roster (previous practice squad and IRed players)?

Not a stupid question at all. Here's an abridged version of the guidelines from the Record and Fact Book:

"Rookies" are in their first season, and have never been on a roster of another professional football team for any regular-season or postseason games. Players who have been active in another professional football league or players who have NFL experience, including either preseason training camp or being on an Active List or Inactive List, or on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform for fewer than six regular-season games, are termed NFL First-Year Players. Thereafter, a player is credited with an additional year of experience for each season in which he accumulates six games on the Active List or Inactive List, or on Reserve/Injured or Reserve/Physically Unable to Perform.

Not sure how accurate this is, but I remember hearing that once he didn't re-up with NFL network and told them about the ESPN deal, they had him sit out the rest of his contract.

Wouldn't surprise me. That's the same reason that a lot of radio/TV stations, when they're going to fire someone, wait until the end of their shift -- no chance to badmouth anyone on-air.

..."After sitting out his first year at Penn State as a redshirt freshman, Maybin entered the draft after two college seasons and without a full season as a starter.

Though he played 13 games last season, Maybin didn't take over as a full-time starter until the fourth week. But he led the Big Ten with 12 sacks and was voted a first-team All-American."

http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/story/12095944

Well, I guess we will soon find out if he's the real deal. I hope so.

Let the games begin!

he wasn't sitting out. and i'd dare you to tell that to Kawika's face rather than sitting in the comfort behind your computer.

jw

Only if the rest of us get to watch. Joe's a pretty good-sized guy, but with apologies to my PSU brother, my money would be on 55.

If true, this link makes it seem as though the offer was a little on the low side, at least when compared with what Moreno got at pick #12.

10% over mckelvin's contract ($19.4 million) would be $21,340,000

Not sure how accurate, as other sources are reporting the 25/5 numbers.

So is this contract dead-on compared to what the Joe Schmoe's predicted considering the slotting?

Taking Raji's and Moreno's numbers and slotting both Maybin and Crabtree exactly between them, Maybin was in-line for a $24.833M deal with $14.667M in guaranteed money. Looks like he basically got the total portion, although we don't know how much guaranteed money he got. But these numbers were known a little over a week ago. Maybin will miss 3 pre-season games and missed all of camp. IMHO that's inexcusable. He's got a lot to prove.

If true, this link makes it seem as though the offer was a little on the low side, at least when compared with what Moreno got at pick #12.

10% over mckelvin's contract ($19.4 million) would be $21,340,000

Not sure how accurate, as other sources are reporting the 25/5 numbers.

I wouldn't put much stock in total or base number being tossed around.

The real issue here, I think, is the guaranteed money. I have yet to sniff a report on that.

Taking Raji's and Moreno's numbers and slotting both Maybin and Crabtree exactly between them, Maybin was in-line for a $24.833M deal with $14.667M in guaranteed money. Looks like he basically got the total portion, although we don't know how much guaranteed money he got. But these numbers were known a little over a week ago. Maybin will miss 3 pre-season games and missed all of camp. IMHO that's inexcusable. He's got a lot to prove.

Depends on which source you believe.

I'd like to see Freeney's 10 yard split, but I can't find it online. That is the real way to measure lineman speed.

No no, 40 time and bench press reps are all that matter. Don't you know that after pushing the 225lb OT back 22 times Maybin will be too tired to continue? While Freeny could not only push him back another 4 times, he also could get to the quarter back two tenths of a second quicker if he lined up 40 yards behind the line of scrimmage. While I know that formation is very tough on the long snapper, it really is an outstanding option when a team is intentionally taking a safety from midfield.

Let's remember, it is football that matters, not training camp and not draft position and not combine numbers. I would have preferred to get Maybin in earlier, but fortunately as people repeat very often, pass rushing DE is a position that requires less study, and it is more likely that his natural talent will be helping the Bills win football games sooner rather than later.

In either case I am happy for him to have one of the 50 game day lunch pails starting next weekend, and look forward to him helping the Bills win football games over the next five seasons. And if you want to blame his agent or him, you would have to know that Russ offered this same money before camp, otherwise it was just as much the Bills playing the game too. I don't like the whole rookie contract stuff either, but it is what it is, and this is a guy I am happy to have playing football for us starting Monday.

I could not disagree more. If you look at 1st round picks in the last ten years, how many have not played out their entire rookie contract? Even Alex Smith is still collecting from the 49ers.

You just agreed with me.

The money not guaranteed doesn't go to the player, if they don't play out the contract. In that case, the guarantee is pretty much what they can count on.

No no, 40 time and bench press reps are all that matter. Don't you know that after pushing the 225lb OT back 22 times Maybin will be too tired to continue? While Freeny could not only push him back another 4 times, he also could get to the quarter back two tenths of a second quicker if he lined up 40 yards behind the line of scrimmage. While I know that formation is very tough on the long snapper, it really is an outstanding option when a team is intentionally taking a safety from midfield.

Let's remember, it is football that matters, not training camp and not draft position and not combine numbers. I would have preferred to get Maybin in earlier, but fortunately as people repeat very often, pass rushing DE is a position that requires less study, and it is more likely that his natural talent will be helping the Bills win football games sooner rather than later.

In either case I am happy for him to have one of the 50 game day lunch pails starting next weekend, and look forward to him helping the Bills win football games over the next five seasons. And if you want to blame his agent or him, you would have to know that Russ offered this same money before camp, otherwise it was just as much the Bills playing the game too. I don't like the whole rookie contract stuff either, but it is what it is, and this is a guy I am happy to have playing football for us starting Monday.

Freeny, Maybin? what are you people talking about when you overlook the fact that, according to the intrawebnet, Etukeren (No. 71, i have come to discover), had equal to or better numbers and is, in fact, on the Bills roster as we speak.

jw

You just agreed with me.

The money not guaranteed doesn't go to the player, if they don't play out the contract. In that case, the guarantee is pretty much what they can count on.

Read it again. I understand that if he doesn't play out the contract he doesn't get paid. I'm pointing out that even the biggest 1st round busts, with the largest contracts tend to play out their entire contracts. With this in mind, I don't pay that much attention to guaranteed money for first round rookie contracts.

How am I agreeing with you?

Freeny, Maybin? what are you people talking about when you overlook the fact that, according to the intrawebnet, Etukeren (No. 71, i have come to discover), had equal to or better numbers and is, in fact, on the Bills roster as we speak.

jw

Etukeren = CHAMPIONSHIP!! We're going to the Bowl!

Read it again. I understand that if he doesn't play out the contract he doesn't get paid. I'm pointing out that even the biggest 1st round busts, with the largest contracts tend to play out their entire contracts. With this in mind, I don't pay that much attention to guaranteed money for first round rookie contracts.

How am I agreeing with you?

Look, if the guy is good you redo his deal before his contract is over (except for the Bills who let their high draft picks go in FA), and if he sucks, you cut him and save the dough. Do some teams hang on to players too long? Sure, but they have every opportunity to recitfy a bad initial deal, should they so choose. The guaranteed money is the most important aspect of the contract, IMO.

As for the total $$.. Then can vary in early reports like this as there are so many variables, i suspect. One source calls it 5/25, another says 5/17 BASE. Well what the hell is base? Are there bonuses and incentives that pad the potential $$ to somewhere near $25?

There really isn't all that to process with the guaranteed $$, so that's a better early $$ for analysis, IMO. I wasn't suggesting there is no importance, at some point in time, to the total $$.