I think our member ranking needs updating...

SDS

• Replies 156
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Of course, I have my personal bias but what about basing it on longevity? Being able to remember ICE, Alaska Darin and Todd have to be worth more than posting " :beer: " a 1000 times.

Not to mention 'belinda'.

I do like the idea of SOME sort of recognition of length-of-time on the Forum. I've not been here for as long as most, but am starting to get a little long in the tooth. As hard as I try (with work and travel and all), I just can't keep up with the post count of some of the newer folks. Besides, I just referenced Pyrite Gal last week. That has to count for something.

Agreed. I too cannot post as often as many here during the week due to firewall restrictions at work. I can access the 'TBD' main page and read the aricles but I can't access the forums.

I'm not sure post count is SOOO important. Anyone can pad their post count. I don't post a lot, but I have been a member since 04, a LOT longer than many others on the board. Though I chose not to post a lot, I sign on every day, read near every article and follow the message board. I like the thoughts and opinions MOST of the time. This site is great for a long off season, when I am starved for Bills news. I consider myself to be a member in good standing. I would hate to lose priveliges just because I do not feel compelled to post all the time. I do post and I feel at times I may even contribute. I have also started threads, normally because I am looking for specific information and I know this is the BEST site to get it. Anyways, I think the date a person became a member should also be taken into account. Post count should not be the end all be all. GO BILLS!

Nice post, cf...sums it up for others here, as well, IMHO. I'd put myself in a similar category.

Agreed! Who was the guy who stopped posting because he came in one day and said 'he did a really bad thing' or did 'something he regretted' of SOMETHING like that!?!?! Everyone jumped his crap like he diddled his sister or something, the guy got all bent out of shape and totally VANISHED. I think I mentioned this guy in my first post ever. But, now his name escapes me....anyone?

Was it 'BF in Indiana'?

But lurkers don't help the board, to tell the truth. If you aren't posting you aren't really contributing to the community, IMO. That doesn't mean you have to post like a mad man, like some of us. And this is a great place to come to get updates and information. But if you aren't contributing to the give and take, at least a little bit, what good is it to the rest of the community? (BTW, I should have used "one" instead of "you", as I wasn't suggesting you don't contribute.) Great idea! Maybe only TSW posts should count.

I see your point, Dean, but I don't entirely agree with the lurker comment. I guess it depends on one's definition. For lack of a better term, that's what I always classified myself as. I didn't join this board until the start of the '03 FA period when the Bills signed Takeo Spikes. I had "lurked" for a couple of years before that, just enjoying the boards but just never got around to registering; however, I was registered before at the old D&C board (under a different memeber name) and posted only occasionally...but I did post, nonetheless. Some members of a family are very dynamic figures and feel compelled to speak or express their opinions all the time while others are more reserved and only "speak up" when they feel it is necessary, appropriate, or the mood strikes. I consider myself the latter.

the one i outlined in previous post with it being 20,000 - 30,000 posts. Then again at this rate you'll be up in AD/DCTom level by 2020 :worthy:

Oh, I thought you may have had the multiple Favre levels (for various failed retirements).

But I stand by my earlier post that labeling anyone DC Tom or AD is a very good deterrent for reaching that level. :beer:

Not to mention 'belinda'.

Agreed. I too cannot post as often as many here during the week due to firewall restrictions at work. I can access the 'TBD' main page and read the aricles but I can't access the forums.

Nice post, cf...sums it up for others here, as well, IMHO. I'd put myself in a similar category.

Was it 'BF in Indiana'?

I see your point, Dean, but I don't entirely agree with the lurker comment. I guess it depends on one's definition. For lack of a better term, that's what I always classified myself as. I didn't join this board until the start of the '03 FA period when the Bills signed Takeo Spikes. I had "lurked" for a couple of years before that, just enjoying the boards but just never got around to registering; however, I was registered before at the old D&C board (under a different memeber name) and posted only occasionally...but I did post, nonetheless. Some members of a family are very dynamic figures and feel compelled to speak or express their opinions all the time while others are more reserved and only "speak up" when they feel it is necessary, appropriate, or the mood strikes. I consider myself the latter.

You have almost 2.500 posts in that time. I'd call you a contributor.

But if someone has belonged for five years, and has 5 posts, are they really a contributing member? Hey I'm all for not saying anything if you have nothing to say. But if you have too many members like that, you have a pretty terrible forum, IMO.

Oh, I thought you may have had the multiple Favre levels (for various failed retirements).

But I stand by my earlier post that labeling anyone DC Tom or AD is a very good deterrent for reaching that level. :beer:

Whatever you say, Love Corn.

"Favre" should be reserved for people who throw "I'm quitting the board, and I'm never coming back here again, and this time I MEAN it!" temper tantrums more than twice.

Whatever you say, Love Corn.

"Favre" should be reserved for people who throw "I'm quitting the board, and I'm never coming back here again, and this time I MEAN it!" temper tantrums more than twice.

Feeling a little magnanimous this evening?

You have almost 2.500 posts in that time. I'd call you a contributor.

But if someone has belonged for five years, and has 5 posts, are they really a contributing member? Hey I'm all for not saying anything if you have nothing to say. But if you have too many members like that, you have a pretty terrible forum, IMO.

Fair enough...can't say that I disagree with your "5 posts" assessment. Thanks for the clarification.

QUOTE (cfbillsfan @ Aug 20 2009, 10:41 PM)

Agreed! Who was the guy who stopped posting because he came in one day and said 'he did a really bad thing' or did 'something he regretted' of SOMETHING like that!?!?! Everyone jumped his crap like he diddled his sister or something, the guy got all bent out of shape and totally VANISHED. I think I mentioned this guy in my first post ever. But, now his name escapes me....anyone?

Was it 'BF in Indiana'?

No, I think it was somebody else? Am I able to review all of my posts? Or, did some post history get lost when the server crashed a while back? SOMEBODY must remmber this incident. People were relentless with regards to not taking him serioulsy or otherwise caring. He took it personally and BOLTED! Damn, I wish I could recall who he was.

On another (non Bills-related) board I used to visit, they had a type of "super membership". The super members weren't picked by post count, but by contribution as seen by the other super members. One became a super member (snicker) by invitation.

There was a special forum reserved for super membership. It was kind of an Off The Wall with few restrictions. It was also a haven for when the hoi polloi got too annoying. Admins made sure super members didn't spend all their time in the special area, though, and encouraged on-topic discussions for the main board, for the most part.

Just thought I'd add that for future consideration. I know we had something similar for a short while many years ago.

QUOTE (cfbillsfan @ Aug 20 2009, 10:41 PM)

Was it 'BF in Indiana'?

No, I think it was somebody else? Am I able to review all of my posts? Or, did some post history get lost when the server crashed a while back? SOMEBODY must remmber this incident. People were relentless with regards to not taking him serioulsy or otherwise caring. He took it personally and BOLTED! Damn, I wish I could recall who he was.

It was Ed. He did something terrible.

Works for me, although you might want to spellcheck "probation" in the tag.

200 might be a little high for Steely's suggestion (and I know we've previously discussed it). But keeping new posters from starting threads for the first 25 or 50 -- or perhaps restricting that privilege to the new-poster forum -- may well be something to consider...

That is the proverbial slippery slope. A policy like this could mean losing out on a classic thread such as reginald's (current post count 7) "Etukeren = Maybin". I haven't laughed this hard on TSW in a long time. That thread is the equivalent of an ESPN Instant Classic.

On another (non Bills-related) board I used to visit, they had a type of "super membership". The super members weren't picked by post count, but by contribution as seen by the other super members. One became a super member (snicker) by invitation.

There was a special forum reserved for super membership. It was kind of an Off The Wall with few restrictions. It was also a haven for when the hoi polloi got too annoying. Admins made sure super members didn't spend all their time in the special area, though, and encouraged on-topic discussions for the main board, for the most part.

Just thought I'd add that for future consideration. I know we had something similar for a short while many years ago.

I think that is a bad idea because it turns the site into a popularity contest. I think the mark of a good poster is one who can challenge the ideas of the original poster in a particular thread, while instituting their own ideas and opinions that either provoke thought or inspire readers to change their minds from the original poster's opinions. That can tend to cause tension in a thread, or among posters, if you're challenging or refuting a claim. That tension turns into a personal dislike the majority of the time, causing the person who is being refuted to personally "not like" the poster instead of trying to see the other side of the textual argument.

The person who can successfully do what's stated above, IMO, is a good poster, but at the same time probably isn't liked very well to most of the people who take disagreements as personal insults. That "good poster" would probably not make it into the popularity contest of "super membership" even though they probably deserve to be there. However, the person that doesn't really challenge ideas or arguments and doesn't offer much controversy or personal opinions of their own, and just simply agrees with everyone would gain a lot of votes or respect among members, and could easily gain admission into this "super membership" category.

A "super membership" category that is based on voting would just introduce a friends or ally category that would give members who are not included a negative disdain to the site. We already have posters mocking the "old boys club" of TBD, and I believe a voting system would just make that perception worse.

A "super membership" category that is based on voting would just introduce a friends or ally category that would give members who are not included a negative disdain to the site. We already have posters mocking the "old boys club" of TBD, and I believe a voting system would just make that perception worse.

In my (admittedly limited) experience, that's not how it works, at all. But you may have a point.

That is the proverbial slippery slope. A policy like this could mean losing out on a classic thread such as reginald's (current post count 7) "Etukeren = Maybin". I haven't laughed this hard on TSW in a long time. That thread is the equivalent of an ESPN Instant Classic.

Yeah, the thread-approval option suggested above might be a better option.

Guessing my fellow mods will have me murdered for agreeing with that. :thumbdown:

i'd vote for super members only if they got a cape or something.

jw

ADD: do super members constitute a justice league?

UDFA 0

Practice Squad 50 *

Rookie 100 **

Veteran 500 ***

All Pro 1000 ****

Hall of Famer 1600 *****

Carpal Tunnel 2500 ******

I think this needs updating... any suggestions? Please try to make serious ones...

Not quite Skooby status

Approaching Skooby status

Right on Skooby'e heels

Up Skooby's ass

Skoobydom

It was Ed. He did something terrible.

From Lori:

If you're talking about Ed's "horrible human being" thread, he didn't bolt. Last post was a couple of months ago:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=88860

Thanks, sounds like the post I was talking about. Did he change his screen name? Did we ever get to hear what he did that made him feel so horrible????????

From Lori:

If you're talking about Ed's "horrible human being" thread, he didn't bolt. Last post was a couple of months ago:

http://forums.twobillsdrive.com/index.php?showtopic=88860

Thanks, sounds like the post I was talking about. Did he change his screen name? Did we ever get to hear what he did that made him feel so horrible????????

Yes, he is Jesus H. Christ, now.

I forgot what he did, but I believe it was nothing, actually.

But lurkers don't help the board, to tell the truth. If you aren't posting you aren't really contributing to the community, IMO. That doesn't mean you have to post like a mad man, like some of us. And this is a great place to come to get updates and information. But if you aren't contributing to the give and take, at least a little bit, what good is it to the rest of the community? (BTW, I should have used "one" instead of "you", as I wasn't suggesting you don't contribute.)

First of all...Hello Dean, long time no see.

Not sure I agree with you on the Lurkers. Hell, I've been lurking here since the D&C and Rivals days and have always said I have nothing of value to add to the board. Maybe I'll throw in some comic relief from time to time, that's about it. Although I can't recall posters by name, I know I have seen some pretty good posts by said "Lurkers". I just think it's a great place to read and gather information about my favorite football team. I have even met quite a few posters from the board.

As far as contributing to the community, I remember sending money in a couple of times just for the privilege of Lurking.

Good to see you again.

First of all...Hello Dean, long time no see.

Not sure I agree with you on the Lurkers. Hell, I've been lurking here since the D&C and Rivals days and have always said I have nothing of value to add to the board. Maybe I'll throw in some comic relief from time to time, that's about it. Although I can't recall posters by name, I know I have seen some pretty good posts by said "Lurkers". I just think it's a great place to read and gather information about my favorite football team. I have even met quite a few posters from the board.

As far as contributing to the community, I remember sending money in a couple of times just for the privilege of Lurking.

Good to see you again.

It is ALIVE!

:P

Good to see you, too.

I have nothing against lurkers. My point is, if everyone lurks there isn't much of a board. People who post keep the place lively and informative.

But you have almost 600 posts, so I'd say you are a contributor. And if you gave money, you certainly are a contributor.

My advice? Post more! You have more to contribute than you think.

0-100 posts= STFU

101-500 posts= STFU

501-1,000 posts= STFU

1,001-5,000 posts= STFU

5,001-10,000 posts= STFU

10,001-17,000 posts= STFU

17,001+ posts= EXPERT

It's probably just the Riesling, but MAN that was funny.

"Car on a Hill" - Joni Mitchell

I get the gist of what you are saying, but around here, I don't think there would ever be a problem of everyone lurking...

Honestly, there are a number I wish would simply lurk.

Oldest biology joke in the world. What does the "H" stand for?

Hmmm. Biology joke? OK, don't think I have heard it.

Honestly, there are a number I wish would simply lurk.

Hmmm. Biology joke? OK, don't think I have heard it.

"Haploid". Half a chromosomal compliment.

Apologies. It seemed marvelously humorous about 25 years ago in a laboratory surrounded by co-eds and empty beer cans. Seems oddly out of place in this forum. Carry on.....

"Haploid". Half a chromosomal compliment.

Apologies. It seemed marvelously humorous about 25 years ago in a laboratory surrounded by co-eds and empty beer cans. Seems oddly out of place in this forum. Carry on.....

:P

Not bad at all.