Who Didn't See This Coming?

H2o

Chiefs beat writer Kent Babb writes on Twitter that he believes Brodie Croyle may be a "real threat" to Matt Cassel's starting job.

Croyle is definitely ahead of Tyler Thigpen, but don't read into this much. The Chiefs didn't give Cassel a $60M contract to soak up pine needles. Still, it's concerning that Cassel has struggled in camp and the preseason so far.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Thank God we didn't try to trade for the guy.

Odds are he just isn't use to having a bad supporting cast. The kid played on the Pats* who gave him a lot of targets to throw to and the likes of Welker and Moss are likely to make up for mistakes that he made while with the exception of Bowe no one on the Chiefs is going to do that so getting use to that is why Cassel is looking bad.

To me Cassel is a project (I equate him to a first round rookie QB) he was brought in to be the long term answer. They gave him 60 mil on upside rather than what he did. The lions and Jets gave out more money to guys who have never shown what they can do on a pro level. Cassel at least has shown what he can do against NFL competition.

Odds are he just isn't use to having a bad supporting cast. The kid played on the Pats* who gave him a lot of targets to throw to and the likes of Welker and Moss are likely to make up for mistakes that he made while with the exception of Bowe no one on the Chiefs is going to do that so getting use to that is why Cassel is looking bad.

To me Cassel is a project (I equate him to a first round rookie QB) he was brought in to be the long term answer. They gave him 60 mil on upside rather than what he did. The lions and Jets gave out more money to guys who have never shown what they can do on a pro level. Cassel at least has shown what he can do against NFL competition.

...................................with a great team around him.

I recently read somewhere (here?) an article that laid out how many yards a pass traveled in the air last year versus YAC for each of the NFL's starting QBs. Guess what? Our buddy Matty boy there was second to last in yards actually thrown (FWIW, TE was 18th). Didn't surprise me in the slightest--he can't hit the broad side of a barn more than 15 yards out and a lot of "his" yards were YAC. Combine that to throwing to two Pro Bowl wideouts behind one of the better O-lines in the League and it looks to me like the Chiefs got major-league fleeced.....

He also doesn't have the advantage in KC of knowing where the defense is going to be. As far as I know the cheating in NE was all Belichiks doing, and I'm sure some form of it was going on last year too. Once a cheater, always a cheater. All these coaching assitants that leave NE all struggle too. Coincedence? Don't think so.

shocking that he might struggle when taken out of a situation where he had the best deep threat receiver in football, the best slot receiver in football, and arguably the best offensive line in football.

And honestly, while his numbers were good last year, he wasn't that impressive when you actually watched him play.

shocking that he might struggle when taken out of a situation where he had the best deep threat receiver in football, the best slot receiver in football, and arguably the best offensive line in football.

And honestly, while his numbers were good last year, he wasn't that impressive when you actually watched him play.

Outside of his yards, his numbers were unimpressive. And the yards apparently were mostly YAC yards.

I am convinced that Tom Brady would be similarly exposed if put on another team. The Pats system is able to turn certain kinds of QBs who would be average elsewhere into Pro-Bowlers with them.

for serious? thats an awfully presumptuous prediction. i think he's a great qb....period. then again, all i have to back that up are his numbers and *superbowl wins, no matter how furiously contested.

for serious? thats an awfully presumptuous prediction. i think he's a great qb....period. then again, all i have to back that up are his numbers and *superbowl wins, no matter how furiously contested.

How much better was Brady's first season as starter compared to Cassell? Patriots are that astute at finding QBs?

Edit: I actually don't think that Brady is a bad QB. He probably would be pretty good on most teams. I just do not think he's the main source of the Patriots' success.

How much better was Brady's first season as starter compared to Cassell? Patriots are that astute at finding QBs?

Edit: I actually don't think that Brady is a bad QB. He probably would be pretty good on most teams. I just do not think he's the main source of the Patriots' success.

Clearly you haven't been reading the erudite posts that illuminate that the only important thing for a football team is the QB. Obviously, if Dick Jauron had Tom Brady he'd be just as good a coach as Bill Belichick. The defense, special teams, the other 10 guys on offense, the front office, the coaches -- they are all just there to carry the QB's suitcase. :wallbash:

I am convinced that Tom Brady would be similarly exposed if put on another team. The Pats system is able to turn certain kinds of QBs who would be average elsewhere into Pro-Bowlers with them.

You don't throw 50 touchdowns in a single season by accident. There is nothing "average" about Brady's quarterbacking.

You don't throw 50 touchdowns in a single season by accident. There is nothing "average" about Brady's quarterbacking.

Daunte Culpepper threw for 39 TD's versus 11 INT's in 2004, his last full year with Moss. And obviously Cassel looked good enough throwing to him, his first-time starting since HS. So...

He's played, what, two series of pre-season football on one of the very worst offensive teams in the league, with a new coach (for him and the team)?

I have no idea if he is going to be any good, and I always thought he wasn't that good, even with his numbers. But since Pioli is the one guy that went after him and signed, and was the one guy that saw him day in day out in NE, and is perfectly aware of the Pats system and talent and coaching, I wouldn't bet that Cassell is a bust just yet.

Let's just hope we can say he's a bust ten games into the season. :wallbash:

I'm sure Brady is a very good QB but having a great team around you makes a difference ask Archie Manning who might have been just as good or better than his sons but played for the terrible awful Saints and was beat to hell after a couple seasons.

I recently read somewhere (here?) an article that laid out how many yards a pass traveled in the air last year versus YAC for each of the NFL's starting QBs. Guess what? Our buddy Matty boy there was second to last in yards actually thrown (FWIW, TE was 18th). Didn't surprise me in the slightest--he can't hit the broad side of a barn more than 15 yards out and a lot of "his" yards were YAC. Combine that to throwing to two Pro Bowl wideouts behind one of the better O-lines in the League and it looks to me like the Chiefs got major-league fleeced.....

Same thing goes for Tom Brady

I agree.

Brady hasn't done anything since February 2008. He's got a lot to prove in his big "comeback" game and that simultaneously frightens and excites me. His last season was the 50 TD season, a stat somewhat thwarted by the run-up-the-score-no-matter-what post-spy-gate tear adopted by Bellicheat. However, prior to that season, I would have argued tooth and nail that he's a product of the system.

Now, just to preempt Sissy Bills, I think a key component, if not THE component of that "system" was the Great Wall he got to stand behind and pick and choose his receivers running 3-6 second routes.

Unfortunately, now that he's got this knee thing going on one of two things will happen: he'll come back and suck, and it'll be the knee's fault (never mind the fact the OLine is deteriorating now too) --OR-- he'll have a rock star season and I'll eat crow. If the latter happens, then I'll submit to the claim that Brady is an all-time QB. If it doesn't, I will look upon his career with skepticism, knowing that major contributors to his success were not only dishonest and dishonorable play, but also the aforementioned super-group at OLine.

Matt Cassel's post-Pats* success (or lack thereof) will be a major indicator of just how great the "system" was.

http://www.rotoworld.com/content/playernews.aspx?sport=NFL

Thank God we didn't try to trade for the guy.

I love Frank Reich, but there is a reason why he was a real good QB for the Buffalo Bills and not so much with the Carolina Panthers.

Matt Cassell was really good NEW ENGLAND PATRIOTS QB and not so much with the KC Chiefs.