Coach Kugler: Levitre had one of highest grades of o-linemen

scribo

Chris Brown reports...

http://blogs.buffalobills.com/2009/08/11/l...well-vs-titans/

Says the interception was just one play.

Keeping in mind that play was in his very first drive against NFL players on an opposing team, I was happy with that Andy showed Sunday night.

He was always blocking the right guy. He jsut was getting overpowered. Hopefully, it is something as simply getting his butt down and gaining leverage.

Nobody seems to be talking about the fact that the line judge failed to call a hands to the face penalty on the Titans DT. It was about as obvious a case of that as I've ever seen. You could see that Andy couldn't even square his face because the guy had his hand under his chin.

Watch the play again and you'll notice one other thing: We're damn lucky that Levitre's leg didn't take out TE's knee just as he released it. Whew that was close....

Nobody seems to be talking about the fact that the line judge failed to call a hands to the face penalty on the Titans DT. It was about as obvious a case of that as I've ever seen. You could see that Andy couldn't even square his face because the guy had his hand under his chin.

Watch the play again and you'll notice one other thing: We're damn lucky that Levitre's leg didn't take out TE's knee just as he released it. Whew that was close....

Can you imagine how much worse it'd be for Levitre if that happened? Fans would want him cut. He'd never get a fair shake after that :doh:

I can say that after Levitre got knocked backwards I started paying more attention to him and he did look pretty decent.

Not great, but not overpowered.

Methinks it was just bad leverage.

And still, he stayed upright and between the DL and Edwards. Bought an extra half-second.

How many veterans have we seen here this decade, who would've just fallen down or morphed into a turnstile and watch the QB get creamed. AL at least was doing his all to "protect his QB" even when he got beaten --- that's not something you can teach.

The OL purge seems to have been designed to get rid of our sometime-matadors who stood up for the QB when they felt like it.

And still, he stayed upright and between the DL and Edwards. Bought an extra half-second.

How many veterans have we seen here this decade, who would've just fallen down or morphed into a turnstile and watch the QB get creamed. AL at least was doing his all to "protect his QB" even when he got beaten --- that's not something you can teach.

The OL purge seems to have been designed to get rid of our sometime-matadors who stood up for the QB when they felt like it.

Tutan "Ole" Reyes immediately springs to mind.

Chris Brown is a shill, a stooge, a mouth piece for the Bills front office- that being said I'm not going to rag on Andy, getting pushed back is less a strength issue than a leverage/ momentum issue - he who gets moving first has all the advantages- I expect Andy to get a lot better when he can stop thinking so much and just react. As for believing coaches over your own eyes forget that sh-- football coaches, GMs and owners have their agendas and are pathological liars.

He didn't exactly say that Levitre graded out well. He just said that the had one of the highest grades of all offensive linemen. It's not a big stretch to say the line struggled so I'd imagine a lot of scores were poor during the game.

It's like saying you had one of the highest grades in the class when you and another kid got a D and everyone else failed. Not exactly achievement but not technically lying either.

So true, I posted about that in the O-line thread.

Check the footage here:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...ards-highlights

He was always blocking the right guy. He jsut was getting overpowered. Hopefully, it is something as simply getting his butt down and gaining leverage.

Partly true. When there wasn't someone lined up directly across from him, he had trouble deciding where to go. One play in particular he looked absolutely lost and almost tripped (untouched) because he didn't know where to go and was off-balance.

I certainly don't have anything against Levitre; he's a rookie who is still learning his job. But to say he graded out the highest of anyone is either a lie or a hard knock on the rest of the Oline.

I do agree with the hands to face thing though. It wasn't just on that one play either. He had hands under his face mask a few times.

BTW, if anyone wants to rag on someone for his blocking skills, watch the game again and focus on Shouman. Absolutely horrible. If he doesn't shape up he's going to make people really miss Royal.

So true, I posted about that in the O-line thread.

Check the footage here:

http://www.nfl.com/videos/nfl-game-highlig...ards-highlights

Re-watching the interception play, it appears Evans was open and the rest of the line was forming a nice pocket. Another half a second from Levitre and Evans pulls that one in.

Re-watching the interception play, it appears Evans was open and the rest of the line was forming a nice pocket. Another half a second from Levitre and Evans pulls that one in.

I watched it a dozen times, too. IMO, Levitre falling back definitely caused the ball to sail, but I'm not sure that the play would have been a completion. To me, Evans looked more open than he actually was because of the throwing lanes. The DB who looked like he was three yards away was actually closer than Evans to where the ball was going. It would have needed to be a perfect pass, just splitting the seam to be a completion. But perhaps that is where it would have ended up.

When I saw it live I just thought he overthrew. But I think it's pretty clear that he wanted to but couldn't follow through and anyone who has ever thrown a football or baseball knows what happens when the last part of a second you stop instead of follow through.

The only problem Levitre had against the Titans was in his technique. He didn't play with the proper leverage on a couple of plays and that is what caused his issues. Fortunately, that can be fixed.

I would be more concerned if he was missing blocks or assignments, but for the most part, that was not his issue. He was just playing too high at times and the D-Line he was going against was getting under his pads at times and when that happens, no matter who the lineman is, he is done.

But yeah....if he gets his leverage down, he will be fine. Still 4 games to work on it.

I watched it a dozen times, too. IMO, Levitre falling back definitely caused the ball to sail, but I'm not sure that the play would have been a completion. To me, Evans looked more open than he actually was because of the throwing lanes. The DB who looked like he was three yards away was actually closer than Evans to where the ball was going. It would have needed to be a perfect pass, just splitting the seam to be a completion. But perhaps that is where it would have ended up.

When I saw it live I just thought he overthrew. But I think it's pretty clear that he wanted to but couldn't follow through and anyone who has ever thrown a football or baseball knows what happens when the last part of a second you stop instead of follow through.

has anyone mentioned that it was a Titans backup DT that blew up Levitre (as per Chris Collinsworth during the broadcast)?

I loved the Levitre and Wood picks - as exhibited with my shouting at the draft. That said, Levitre is certainly a bit behind where Wood is, as we all know. Leverage is clearly an issue as he does have quick feet and was good when he needed to pull at times. He should be able to learn from this, especially watching game film, of how the DT got his hands inside him and bull rushed him. Wood is a little shorter and has a lower center of gravity, whereas Levitre is a bit taller and thinner. He's got to get a lower stance, especially against a guy like Wilfork or Jenkins because they are going to be rushing the left side frequently.

so how is TO's toe?