It Doesn't Take a Math Degree to Pay Maybin...

VJ91

It took me less then 5 minutes to come up with Maybins' contract:

5 YEARS, 25 MILLION, WITH 15 MILLION GUARANTEED.

Since that is almost exactly what the contract will read looking at the draft picks above him and just below him who have already signed, why one earth should Ralph & the Jerks and Maybins' agent draw this thing out one minute longer??

:thumbsup:

Since that is almost exactly what the contract will read looking at the draft picks above him and just below him who have already signed, why one earth should Ralph & the Jerks and Maybins' agent draw this thing out one minute longer??

It still takes two to tango here. I don't know if Segal is waiting on the Crabtree deal, but I think the ball is in his court now.

I'd love to blame the front office, and for all of their structural issues, can't see them pinching pennies. They've signed picks in 06, 07, and 08 in relatively the same draft area (8th-12th picks).

I'm not worried about this....yet.

It will happen soon enough, but the longer this goes, the longer it looks like Segal is just being your typical a-hole agent. I'm sure he knows how much the Bills need Maybin.

This is why I HATE the way rookies are treated in the NFL. The league needs to cap rookie salaries.

What is it that people don't get about this? The ones holding this up are Maybin and his agent. They are looking to get as much from the Bills as they can, and they're waiting on Crabtree's situation because they're hoping the 49'ers overpay him, and thus force the Bills to overpay Maybin. Similarly the picks before Crabtree are looking to get paid more than he got. The Bills have no reason to wait, and aren't pinching pennies, because they know what he deserves based on last year's slotting, and what Moreno got.

The chances of Maybin coming in and having a productive rookie season are diminishing by the day. In a couple of weeks his season will pretty much be a wash and he'll have no chance of significantly contributing to the D. Granted, most people see him simply as a guy coming on in obvious pass rush situations this season anyway but at least there was a chance that he'd be more than that if he was in camp learning the D and acclimating himself to the pro game.

I'll never understand why rookies shoot themselves in the foot with these holdouts. The draft spots are slotted and as the original poster pointed out, it's not too difficult to see what they'll get. There always seems to be one guys (in this instance, Crabtree) who comes in with the opinion, "I was SUPPOSED to be drafted higher so I should get more..."

The chances of Maybin coming in and having a productive rookie season are diminishing by the day. In a couple of weeks his season will pretty much be a wash and he'll have no chance of significantly contributing to the D. Granted, most people see him simply as a guy coming on in obvious pass rush situations this season anyway but at least there was a chance that he'd be more than that if he was in camp learning the D and acclimating himself to the pro game.

I'll never understand why rookies shoot themselves in the foot with these holdouts. The draft spots are slotted and as the original poster pointed out, it's not too difficult to see what they'll get. There always seems to be one guys (in this instance, Crabtree) who comes in with the opinion, "I was SUPPOSED to be drafted higher so I should get more..."

Exactly. Maybin only started 12 games in college. The odds that he can miss 1/2 of preseason and come in and matter are very very slim. We might as well face the fact that we are going to be stuck with another sub-par pass rush again this season.

It will happen soon enough, but the longer this goes, the longer it looks like Segal is just being your typical a-hole agent. I'm sure he knows how much the Bills need Maybin.

This is why I HATE the way rookies are treated in the NFL. The league needs to cap rookie salaries.

They need to have standardized contracts for the rookies instead. You were drafted here. This what you get. Sign the contract or GTFO.

I have to be honest, this doesn't really surprise me much. Maybin is one of those players that is highly coached behind the scenes. This was pretty obvious in how he handled himself in his first encounters with the press. It came off as mature, but very mechanical. The kid clearly thinks a lot of himself, which is both good and bad. I don't doubt that Maybin will be working hard when he gets to camp, and I bet you anything he has kept himself in tip top shape. But, I also imagine that his agent is well aware Crabtree is going to get signed "over-slot" (if he does in fact sign). And they want to use that as leverage. That being said, I agree that Maybin is going to be a useless addition if he doesn't get to camp. As we saw with our rookies on Sunday night, it is very difficult for rookies to make solid impacts right from the start.

It's time for you to change professions then.

I have to be honest, this doesn't really surprise me much. Maybin is one of those players that is highly coached behind the scenes. This was pretty obvious in how he handled himself in his first encounters with the press. It came off as mature, but very mechanical. The kid clearly thinks a lot of himself, which is both good and bad. I don't doubt that Maybin will be working hard when he gets to camp, and I bet you anything he has kept himself in tip top shape. But, I also imagine that his agent is well aware Crabtree is going to get signed "over-slot" (if he does in fact sign). And they want to use that as leverage. That being said, I agree that Maybin is going to be a useless addition if he doesn't get to camp. As we saw with our rookies on Sunday night, it is very difficult for rookies to make solid impacts right from the start.

So if Crabtree doesn't sign soon, (and I think there is a distinct possibility that he NEVER signs with the 49ers-I don't think Singletary will put up with this kind of nonsense from a rookie) than is Maybin not going to sign either? The guy is barely a 250 pound DE who played in a crummy league, and was good for one season. It boggles my mind that he is holding out. Pay him a little more than Moreno got and lets move on. If he is waiting on Crabtree to sign, he might not play for us either.

So if Crabtree doesn't sign soon, (and I think there is a distinct possibility that he NEVER signs with the 49ers-I don't think Singletary will put up with this kind of nonsense from a rookie) than is Maybin not going to sign either? The guy is barely a 250 pound DE who played in a crummy league, and was good for one season. It boggles my mind that he is holding out. Pay him a little more than Moreno got and lets move on. If he is waiting on Crabtree to sign, he might not play for us either.

No, I think that if Crabtree doesn't sign, it just means Maybin will sign later. I actually would imagine he will be signed before the end of the week. But, I think the reason he hasn't signed so far has at least a little to do with waiting for Crabtree to sign.

:doh:

Please show me a link, SOMETHING, that says Maybin has a degree in math. I don't think the Bills would make having a math degree a job requirement. Although they HAVE done that for other players.

GO BILLS!!!

Please show me a link, SOMETHING, that says Maybin has a degree in math. I don't think the Bills would make having a math degree a job requirement. Although they HAVE done that for other players.

GO BILLS!!!

At the risk of coming off as a complete dork, I put the following together (in a spreadsheet, but there's no good way of posting that here). The first is a table of picks 1-15 in 2008 and 1-15 in 2009. The second is a graph, showing Guaranteed money & Avg per-year salary. The 2008 data gave me a pretty good fit, but I didn't bother to post the chart.

Table (hopefully the pics come out):

DorkyTable.jpg

Graph for 2009 (including "line of best fit"):

DorkyChart.jpg

Using the 2 linear regression equations gets you:

y = -2.0805x + 39.585, so x=11 (since maybin was picked 11th) you get $16.699mm in guaranteed money.

For his salary:

y = -0.6905x + $13.389 = $5.7935

So, since 5yr contracts seem to be the norm, his pay package should be: $28.96mm with $16.7mm guaranteed. However if you look at last year, the avg salary tends to drop off quite a bit out of the top 7 or 8, which i dont' think is captured in that equation. So if you ding his salary a bit, but keep the guarantee, I get very close to the original poster's $25/5yrs w/ $15mm guaranteed. I mean it passes the smell test...counting down from the 15th pick, your total salary totals is $18...$19...$20...$23...??? I'm no genius but 25, 26, or 27 are all acceptable answers here...

Ah yes...If only it were that simple.

EDIT: Ok, doesn't look like I can embed a picture in this post.

Table of Salaries:

Chart of Salaries & Guarantees

How do we know the agent doesn't want more than $28.96mm with $16.7mm guaranteed? Hmmm? What then, Einstein?

PTR

Uhhh...That's the point of my post -- it's easy to see what he *should* get, given other player's numbers. Clearly him & his agent want more than that.

Not sure why you have to come w/ the "Einstein" barb...

I am shamed. :doh:

PTR

If it makes you feel better about yourself to call someone "Einstein" then good for you. I was merely sharing my observations that the salaries & guaranteed money are extremely predictable given last year's curve and given this year's curve and that the OP's original projections aren't too far off the mark.

Your post: "How do we know the agent doesn't want more..." - WOW, What Insight - did it take you long to figure that one out, Captain Obvious?