Secrets of your industry

Assquatch

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As a government contractor, I should tell you all that your government is actually MORE incompetent than you could possibly believe.

So ... you fit right in?!?

lol ... cheap shot, I know

Full disclosure here ... my sister is a fed

So ... you fit right in?!?

lol ... cheap shot, I know

Full disclosure here ... my sister is a fed

Actually, I speak my mind and do my work with greater efficiency than my coworkers. I'm pretty much an outcast.

Yes, you read that right. I do my work with greater efficiency than my coworkers. And I post her during the day. THAT right there should tell you something about the quality of your government. :huh:

Actually, I speak my mind and do my work with greater efficiency than my coworkers. I'm pretty much an outcast.

Yeah .. no ... I'm wrong ... you don't fit in.

Engineering is EXACTLY like it is in Dilbert cartoons.

Yes, you read that right. I do my work with greater efficiency than my coworkers. And I post her during the day. THAT right there should tell you something about the quality of your government. :huh:

Same. And doesn't it piss you off when the people running the show are dumber than you are? Often times I wonder how such incompetency infiltrated the high positions.

Same. And doesn't it piss you off when the people running the show are dumber than you are? Often times I wonder how such incompetency infiltrated the high positions.

From what I've seen, the more incompentent you are, the more that your group wants to get rid of you, so they'll give you a glowing recommendation when interviewing for a new job, which is usually at a higher level. This is the fast track to management, and judging by our current fiscal situation, I believe that I'm quite correct.

From what I've seen, the more incompentent you are, the more that your group wants to get rid of you, so they'll give you a glowing recommendation when interviewing for a new job, which is usually at a higher level. This is the fast track to management, and judging by our current fiscal situation, I believe that I'm quite correct.

Bingo. Lower to mid-level feds actually know what they are doing. The ones at the top are the maroons.

PTR

Science labs are nothing like CSI. You wouldn't be able to see sh-- in a dim, blue-lit lab. Also, all those cool little techniques they do like pipetting? Those techniques aren't that high tech and are also mind-numbingly boring.

Most of the great "advances" in science come from simple mundane activities. How did i get X to work? Give it a good solid whack, or jam something else in there and hope it works. But we give it a fancy name and sheeple all over sit there and oooh and ahhh.

What would someone who doesn't work in your industry be surprised to find out?

I'll speak for many, because I worked in it for 4 years.

Civil service. It was maddening. Nobody would think of lifting a finger to economize; the worry was how to concoct a spiel to get funding for the next budget, and being concerned about accomplishing anything was only voiced by some powerless saps.

They got trotted out from time to time for window dressing purposes, then were shoved back into their box until next year's begging.

If you are a sadist at heart, government work is the place to be. As long as you know the laws, you can belittle, harass, mess with - anything goes. Because almost nobody quits - it's about marking time until retirement.

ObamaCare - the folks deciding whether you get treatment, live or die - eh, we will have our funding reduced if we allow too much. Oops, gotta go to lunch. We'll have a meeting later. :huh:

Civil service. It was maddening. Nobody would think of lifting a finger to economize; the worry was how to concoct a spiel to get funding for the next budget, and being concerned about accomplishing anything was only voiced by some powerless saps.

They got trotted out from time to time for window dressing purposes, then were shoved back into their box until next year's begging.

If you are a sadist at heart, government work is the place to be. As long as you know the laws, you can belittle, harass, mess with - anything goes. Because almost nobody quits - it's about marking time until retirement.

ObamaCare - the folks deciding whether you get treatment, live or die - eh, we will have our funding reduced if we allow too much. Oops, gotta go to lunch. We'll have a meeting later. :huh:

I produce those 'Stay off my lawn' signs. Doing great busines.

ObamaCare - the folks deciding whether you get treatment, live or die - eh, we will have our funding reduced if we allow too much. Oops, gotta go to lunch. We'll have a meeting later. :lol:

That is total BS! It is the EXACT OPPOSITE at my work... They/we economize to the bone. Get a clue! We are still old school here... We do almost everything in-house and what we are asked to do. That means my job description... I sh*t you not it is in there... Has in it:

"All duties as assigned."

Granted, there are things that need fixing... But your stereotype is far from the truth!

Nice.

As a government contractor, I should tell you all that your government is actually MORE incompetent than you could possibly believe.

It is because they contract out. You wouldn't believe the types they get to do the contract work. Where I work we are better off doing the work ourselves... Then engineering gets innvolved and the price goes up 500%. It is mindnumbing what the pencil neck paper pushers have you do... There in lies the problem. There is no common sense with the project managers/engineers.

This is the guys I hate in our industry(screen printing). There are a bunch of these marketing/trinket and trash companies that are merely middle men that often never touch the product. A lot of the bigger corporations go to them to get their shirts, bottle openers, golf towels etc. Their buyers are trained to bust the balls of printers like us on price. So for example, they will work us down to say, $3 a printed shirt and resell it to Intel for $10. We do all the printing. Handle the shirts(which they often supply so we can't even make a markup on that). Do art, output film, burn screens package and ship to their customer. We do all the work, they make way more profit than we do. We could sell directly to Intel for much cheaper and we would also make more profit. We restructured 3 years ago and actually got rid of the 3 companies that worked like this.

Here here...I work in screenprinting as well, but at a supplier who ONLY sells to distributors. Well, for 21 more days...then I'm heading back to the blank wholesale industry, where I'll sell to people like YOU :lol: