Secrets of your industry

Assquatch

What would someone who doesn't work in your industry be surprised to find out? I don't have a great example but I know you can do better.

I work in manufacturing. We sell our widgets to resellers who then sell to the end-user. We happily print our resellers logos and part numbers on our widgets' packaging so the end user never knows whom the manufacturer is. We also provide phone support to the end-user - but most of the time we have to be careful not to mention who we are so the end user thinks they are receiving tech support from the reseller. This also means that sometimes the end-user switches to another distributor who charges more he same thing (still our product) and the customer thinks they are getting something better.

A friend of mine once told me he used to work for a bakery that made Wonder bread. When it was time for changeover they just switched to different bags to put the same bread in, and that was the store brand.

(Sorry, first, last or middle post doesn't win a darn thing.)

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

What would someone who doesn't work in your industry be surprised to find out? I don't have a great example but I know you can do better.

I work in manufacturing. We sell our widgets to resellers who then sell to the end-user.

We do the same thing. The REAL secret is to be one of these re-sellers. They make 10-20% margin without ever touching the product. Buy it from us and drop ship to their customer. I swear some of this guys have no office or anything, just work from their cell phones. Well I guess they need an office for invoicing and to count their cash

What would someone who doesn't work in your industry be surprised to find out?

As a worker in the IT field, I hate to break the following news to you but....

They didn't set up your network, build servers, and give you a fancy new laptop so you can surf TSW, check out Youtube®, update your Facebook® page and send chain emails to your cousin in Kalamazoo

Now get back to work ;)

They didn't set up your network, build servers, and give you a fancy new laptop so you can surf TSW, check out Youtube®, update your Facebook® page and send chain emails to your cousin in Kalamazoo

Now get back to work ;)

:thumbsup: You're watching me?

Now get back to work :)

LUNCH TIME! :huh:

We do the same thing. The REAL secret is to be one of these re-sellers. They make 10-20% margin without ever touching the product. Buy it from us and drop ship to their customer. I swear some of this guys have no office or anything, just work from their cell phones. Well I guess they need an office for invoicing and to count their cash

This is the guys I hate in our industry(screen printing). There are a bunch of these marketing/trinket and trash companies that are merely middle men that often never touch the product. A lot of the bigger corporations go to them to get their shirts, bottle openers, golf towels etc. Their buyers are trained to bust the balls of printers like us on price. So for example, they will work us down to say, $3 a printed shirt and resell it to Intel for $10. We do all the printing. Handle the shirts(which they often supply so we can't even make a markup on that). Do art, output film, burn screens package and ship to their customer. We do all the work, they make way more profit than we do. We could sell directly to Intel for much cheaper and we would also make more profit. We restructured 3 years ago and actually got rid of the 3 companies that worked like this.

Investment advisers aren't allowed to charge their customers based on performance unless the client's account is worth $750k (and the client is worth at least $1.5 million). They have to charge either a flat fee, hourly, or a percentage of assets. It's a terrible rule.