Bills Waive 5 players

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Per text message.

No surprises, but the Bell was Joel Bell, not Demetrius. I always thought that Costanzo was a good ST'er, but I guess they have better guys to fill his role.

OL Joel Bell

LB Blake Costanzo

DT John Faletoese

DB Kyle Ward

DE Gerald Washington

No real loss I thought Costanzo was a good special team guy but if there is one thing that I trust the Bills coaching staff in its special teams. Bobby April is a great coach and I trust that he knows the real value of his players and who is worth having on. Also how long before someone says they only cut one DB while cutting 3 players on the front seven.

Suprised about Joel Bell for he appeared to be a rare physical combination but evidently too raw.

Blake Costanzo lost in numbers game and his agent may have requested him to be released to give him another chance to catch on.

And so the Joel Bell era comes to an end. Shocking.

PTR

Save this post for future reference. In a couple of years you will either look like a sarcastic jerk or a short sighted jerk. In 2000 you probably laughed at NE for "wasting" a 6th round pick on that Brady kid.

The Bills have a long and storied history of signing raw talent and releasing them too soon. When other teams pick them up and turn them into solid starters you whine "how could those stupid coaches let that kind of talent go".

I think this decission will turn around and bite them in the ... the area of your expertise.

So, Coach Bevalaqua got his revenge and "Cantstandya" was released...

By the way, Demetrius Bell is Karl Malone's son, right? He's still on the roster, and that's the Bell I'm intrigued by...

Save this post for future reference. In a couple of years you will either look like a sarcastic jerk or a short sighted jerk. In 2000 you probably laughed at NE for "wasting" a 6th round pick on that Brady kid.

The Bills have a long and storied history of signing raw talent and releasing them too soon. When other teams pick them up and turn them into solid starters you whine "how could those stupid coaches let that kind of talent go".

I think this decission will turn around and bite them in the ... the area of your expertise.

Waiving Joel Bell seems pretty shocking to me. But then maybe all the positive stories about him were just due to his interesting history.

Big daddy, do you know any more about Joel and why this might have happened? You were a big Joel Bell fan. Are you a Furman alum or friend of the family? I just wondered if you might have any insight on this.

Joel seemed like a guy that could be developed in a couple years, but the coaches must have seen some show-stopper in his game, something that made even taking him to training camp a moot point.

I didn't think I was being a jerk with this post but maybe I missed something. I'd love to see you list of Bills camp cuts that went on to long NFL careers. It must be a long one for you to write a snarky post llike this.

PTR

This article sheds some light on the Costanzo cut:

http://www.timesunion.com/AspStories/story...?storyID=809360

The Bills signed veteran free agent Pat Thomas in the offseason and are also welcoming back Alvin Bowen, last year's fifth-round draft pick, who missed last season with a knee injury.

The team also has high hopes for undrafted rookie Ashlee Palmer, who was signed as a free agent.

The Bills are going to keep 6 or 7 LBs on their final roster.

Barring injury, we know they're going to keep Poz, Mitchell, Ellison, and DiGeorgio.

If the coaching staff decided Thomas, Bowen, and Palmer were all above Costanzo on the depth chart, it makes sense to cut him now, to give him the best chance to catch on with somebody else. It's pretty mean-spirited to hang onto somebody for an entire training camp "just in case somebody gets hurt".

The article stated the Bills cut these five guys to get down to 75 players. You can only have 80 players on the team in the offseason. Hopefully this means the Bills will start signing some of their 8 draft picks.

Joel Bills is an interesting story. Have a feeling the Bills are maybe trying to sneak him thru waivers and resign him to the practice squad. Bell is a mammoth guy that hasnt played the game long. He is learning and could develope. He will need a few years before any team knows what he has to offer. IMO.

Can't imagine this is right. They have never even seen the guy actually play against NFL athletes. They would want that before deciding he's NFL-worthy or practice-squad worthy.

Can you name a few guys we released during OTAs, not even bringing them to training camp, who then caught on with other teams and turned into solid starters?

Can you name a few guys we released during OTAs, not even bringing them to training camp, who then caught on with other teams and turned into solid starters?

Not exactly, but Gary Anderson sticks in my mind as a major screwup release too soon. Who'd have thought he'd do what he did after missing every FG in preseason.

Not exactly, but Gary Anderson sticks in my mind as a major screwup release too soon. Who'd have thought he'd do what he did after missing every FG in preseason.

Anderson deserved to be cut that preseason, and certainly forced the team's hand with all of his misses.