Bills Waive 5 players

no-where near NFL ready???

Gary Anderson was another casualty of the standard crap pulled by the Bills front office.

They low balled him on his contract -so he tanked pre-season on purpose to get his release -

thus getting a fair market deal with a perennial playoff team- where he was their kicker from day 1.

Now you're just talking out of your ass. He was a 7th round pick, and there is not a huge difference between what any team pays seventh rounders, especially kickers. Not only that but the Bills were better than the Steelers right then when he was drafted, as we were 10-6 and 11-5 in 81 and 80 and they were 8-8 and 9-7. The Bills were probably the best team in the entire league in 1980.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now you're just talking out of your ass. He was a 7th round pick, and there is not a huge difference between what any team pays seventh rounders, especially kickers. Not only that but the Bills were better than the Steelers right then when he was drafted, as we were 10-6 and 11-5 in 81 and 80 and they were 8-8 and 9-7. The Bills were probably the best team in the entire league in 1980.

I think the Bills were the best team in the league in 1980 and only some bad luck in playoff pairings and terrible officiating in SD for the playoff game, kept them from the SB. I remember the Bills totally destroying the Raiders in Orchard Park, beating them 24-7 and knocking Plunket out of the game. The Raiders went on to win the SB after the '80 season.

I think Anderson was just nervous that preseason and some of the misses were long ones. He certainly sounded very upset when he was cut and made the point that he had always kicked well in practice, etc. It is too crazy to imagine a 7th round pick would purposely try to miss kicks to get on with another team. Of course Pittsburgh did sign him immediately to a long term deal right after the Bills released him and Pittsburgh then did release its own incumbent kicker.

But with Joel Bell if the Bills saw decent potential they would keep him through training camp. Teams don't play some game of keeping a player for OTA, dropping them, and signing them later for the practice squad. I can't think of a single player the Bills have done that with.

But with Joel Bell if the Bills saw decent potential they would keep him through training camp. Teams don't play some game of keeping a player for OTA, dropping them, and signing them later for the practice squad. I can't think of a single player the Bills have done that with.

I will try to rack my feeble brain during some earlier day light hour as to who it was, but I am pretty sure of a case in the past decade where the Bills cut a player in the first set of cuts during pre-season only to surprisingly sign him back on the PS when all was said and done.

Teams scoured the waiver wire pretty thoroughly after the second cut looking for players who just missed out on making the roster and might be good players to pick off the team that originally signed them and it was pretty clear the Bills had jettisoned this player early so that he would draw less attention for opposing teams.

It was not said but I assumed that the Bills had let the cutee know that that he had zero chance of making the permanent roster, but that they were cutting him early so he would draw less interest from other teams but not to worry the Bills planned to resign him.

Even though this move might have constituted a transpression of league rules the chances of any blowback on this are quite small as no one is gonna believe a rookie who made this claim without some fairly substantial proof and it cuts against the interest of any cut player to make this claim anyway. The team would certainly tell the player to feel free to sign elsewhere if a deal materialized but after an early cut then who wants to take the risk to sign such a player.

To directly answer your question as to why the Bills would cut a player whom they felt had decent potential. The answer is that they MIGHT cut him if they felt he was a good project but they felt he had no chance to make the roster this year and even probably next year without some work.

By cutting him now but either hinting or even promising to him that he keep his powder dry and the Bills would (or likely would) resign him they both heavily dampen interest in him (he is on the wire but on the wire as a player judged not worthy of a draft choice by everyone and even getting cut by the Bills so early as to make everybody wonder how bad he must have been or what the medical professional saw that got him bounced so early.

Who knows for sure but if this specimen does not sign with another team quite soon this is an indicator that either he is so bad he merited an early cut and no one has signed him OR there may be something afoot with the Bills wanting to dampen interest and resign him to the PS anyway.

Who knows for sure but the amount of though I have already given to this Machievellian probably too clever by half theory is probably more analysis than this move merits.

they weren[t the best team in the front office -

as consistent with most of their history - The Bills jerked Anderson around and he got out of town.

He got a long term deal with the Steelers

The Bills were left using Mike-Mayer and Herrera in 1982.

they weren[t the best team in the front office -

as consistent with most of their history - The Bills jerked Anderson around and he got out of town.

He got a long term deal with the Steelers

The Bills were left using Mike-Mayer and Herrera in 1982.

Damn the Bills all to heck for something they did in 1982. By the way did you work for the Bills and saw this "jerking around" first hand or is this just your own personal reality?

PTR

Save this post for future reference. In a couple of years you will either look like a sarcastic jerk or a short sighted jerk. In 2000 you probably laughed at NE for "wasting" a 6th round pick on that Brady kid.

The Bills have a long and storied history of signing raw talent and releasing them too soon. When other teams pick them up and turn them into solid starters you whine "how could those stupid coaches let that kind of talent go".

I think this decission will turn around and bite them in the ... the area of your expertise.

Congratulations! You watched a player perform very well in college. Too bad that it obviously doesn't guarantee the player can do the same in the pro's.

Nobody is denying what you saw when you watched him in college. It just doesn't work the same way in the NFL.