Everette Brown

your right message board GM's know more than nix and modrak.

it would also make great sense to spend your first 2 picks on DE's.

lastly the whole league was also stupid since he lasted into the second round when half the guys around here wanted us to take the guy @ 11 including myself.

the bills had their choice of DE's except for jackson and they chose Maybin i'm sticking with nix and modrak.

No, I do not know more about player personnel than either Nix or Modrak, but that doesn't mean they can be wrong at times and I can be right.

As far as the "whole league being stupid for passing up Brown once" thing goes, far greater players, and many HOFers, have been surpassed more than that. That argument is ignorant, at best.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Never said he wasn't good. Just said he should not be a starter. The Bills must have thought the same thing or they would not have drafted Byrd.

They drafted Byrd because Jauron is a straight up moron. Wow, the sting of that moment, it was exaclty like when we picked McGahee despite having a very strong Travis Henry, that year.

I was so excited that Brown fell to us. Effing DJ, he is truly the moronic inferno.

They drafted Byrd because Jauron is a straight up moron. Wow, the sting of that moment, it was exaclty like when we picked McGahee despite having a very strong Travis Henry, that year.

I was so excited that Brown fell to us. Effing DJ, he is truly the moronic inferno.

And your football resume and draft success consists of what? Funny, you are calling DJ a moron, but EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL HAD A CHANCE TO DRAFT HIM, AND MANY HAD 2 CHANCES and they all passed. In fact, he would have been great value in all the late round picks and any where in the 2nd, and they ALL passed.

So, take your impeccible scouting skills up with every single franchise in the NFL as they all passed on your beloved Brown and were all on the same page as DJ. In fact, Byrd was going to go off the board next until we took him which allowed for the Brown trade to happen.

But, you are right, DJ was clearly a fool for having the same stance as the entire NFL on this guy, he should have called you for advice. LMAO at your post

And your football resume and draft success consists of what? Funny, you are calling DJ a moron, but EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL HAD A CHANCE TO DRAFT HIM, AND MANY HAD 2 CHANCES and they all passed. In fact, he would have been great value in all the late round picks and any where in the 2nd, and they ALL passed.

So, take your impeccible scouting skills up with every single franchise in the NFL as they all passed on your beloved Brown and were all on the same page as DJ. In fact, Byrd was going to go off the board next until we took him which allowed for the Brown trade to happen.

But, you are right, DJ was clearly a fool for having the same stance as the entire NFL on this guy, he should have called you for advice. LMAO at your post

Let's be realistic, Byrd was not a need position guy for the bills, Brown was and is. Even in Maybin pans out, we are still stuck with either Kelsay or a rapidly aging Shobel on the other side.

Jauron is an idiot, for that fact alone.

Leaving alone the fact that Brown was much more sought after, or that another team traded next year's first for the remarkable opportunity they saw to get this talent WITH THE NEXT PICK. ie, WE could have had another #1 pick next year, or Brown, and we got.... Byrd, a guy that has never even played the position we drafted him to play.

Ridiculous.

But, by all means, keep the faith, maybe the bills will win 7 games again this year, ensuring Jaurons continued tenure, you can be happy.

Seriously ? So who exactly do you think is/ was the safety for Buffalo. Sorry bud but if you think Scott was the answer then there is a reason you do what you do for a living and the scouts and FO does what it does.

Seriously ? So who exactly do you think is/ was the safety for Buffalo. Sorry bud but if you think Scott was the answer then there is a reason you do what you do for a living and the scouts and FO does what it does.

We need a pass rush.

We have a strong secondary, which would be made only stronger with... a pass ruch.

We could have had 2 of the top 3 pass rushing prospects in the draft.

Now, stuck with Mr. "would be qb pressure" Kelsay.

Really, very sad.

We need a pass rush.

We have a strong secondary, which would be made only stronger with... a pass ruch.

Really, very sad.

:thumbsup: Give it up though. Time will tell all. A ballhawk with no pessure on the QB ? A slow ballhawk at that ,that will need speed because of no pressure.

We need a pass rush.

Really, very sad.

Thats why I would have wanted Brown. But pass rushers do take time to develop (a season or two to become real threats). At best Brown gets 7 sacks this year on the Panthers. If he was on the Bills I would hope he would get 4.5-6 sacks his rookie year (same expiations for Maybin). Byrd may have more of impact in his rookie year.

Down the road Brown could be a guy who develops into a 8-10 sack a year guy. Which is why I would have drafted him at pick 42. But for this year Kelsay might have just as many sacks as Brown has this year. I think that Brown and Maybin would have been a nice tandem and replace Schobel down the road.

And that brings me back to what I said in my post: I was referencing our current team as who I would prefer, not referencing every team or if I was building a team from scratch.

OK, I understand how you would arrive at your conclusion.

We severly lack play making at our safety positions. Once we drafted Maybin, DE was no longer a pressing need. So when we had a chance to take Brown or Byrd, Byrd is the hands down best choice in my opinnion and its not even close.

That is a big issue of mine. Lacking a playmaker at safety, are we? Whitner was one of these top 10 safeties about which you speak. Levy/Jauron spurned players on both lines as well as trade down offers to take him. This time, a team that picked after us got a first round pick in 2010. I would much rather have that pick than another small safety. Remember, Jauron will probably be fired before the 2010 draft because he is a long term serial loser.

Byrd = the better pick at that moment on draft day and could potentially have a big impact on our pass rush by shoring up a weak spot in our secondary.

Perhaps. Again, it is the overall idiotic philosophy of Levy/Jauron that is the issue imo. I hope you are right and sure, it could go either way. But again, another first in 2010 would have been a great asset for this team to have. I would rather they went this way instead of taking another blue chip safety to play 3 states away from scrimage in the dopey Jauron cover-2.

Did "Everette Brown looking good per rotoworld" just generate 6 pages of discussion?

Yes, because of the lack of news of how great Maybin, or any other rookie DE for that matter, has looked so far. And the talk about EB probably is more propaganda than anything else, to get Peppers into minicamps.

You like Scott at SS? Or is it that he is the tallest midget at the position? Sorry but i dont like Scott as a every down safety. He is and has always been a back up. In Byrd the Bills got a player that will make an immediate impact this season. He will probably stand out more then any other player the Bills drafted this year.

Not saying anything against Brown i hope he does a great job. But lets put the pads on and hit for real before we pass judgement. And he is probably taking first team reps because Peppers is a no show.

Let me get this straight.

1) We should wait till we get the pads on and hit for real before we pass judgment.

2) It's still before the pads are on, and yet you've decided that Byrd will make an immediate impact this season and will stand out more than any other player we drafted?

How about waiting till the pads go on before we evaluate Byrd? IMHO, predicting big things for almost any rookie is a stretch, and particularly a rookie who will play a different position in the pros than he did in college. Byrd is (based on the law of averages) most like a pick that will start to pay off next year. Hope I'm wrong, though.

Jason Taylor

Aaron Schoebel

Justin Tuck

Usi Umenyora

- DE's that were passed on by "EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL HAD A CHANCE TO DRAFT HIM, AND MANY HAD 2 (or more in some cases) CHANCES"

That argument is, and will continue to be, the worst reasoning for not drafting a player. I don’t care about the other teams. Their opinion does not keep a player from being one hell of a football player. James Harrison, the 2009 NFL D MVP, was undrafted and cut from Baltimore’s practice squad like 4 times. He really sucks though because every team passed on him and Baltimore cut him. Andre Reed? Yea he sucks because every team in the league passed on him multiple times!

Whether you like Brown or not (I for one think he will be a force for Carolina in the future) please refrain from using that idiotic argument again. But now that I think about it, every team in the league passed on Byrd, some teams twice… no way he could be good. Even more teams passed on Levitre, and more on Nelson, and even more on Harris.... we are so screwed now…

Jason Taylor

Aaron Schoebel

Justin Tuck

Usi Umenyora

- DE's that were passed on by "EVERY TEAM IN THE NFL HAD A CHANCE TO DRAFT HIM, AND MANY HAD 2 (or more in some cases) CHANCES"

That argument is, and will continue to be, the worst reasoning for not drafting a player. I don’t care about the other teams. Their opinion does not keep a player from being one hell of a football player. James Harrison, the 2009 NFL D MVP, was undrafted and cut from Baltimore’s practice squad like 4 times. He really sucks though because every team passed on him and Baltimore cut him. Andre Reed? Yea he sucks because every team in the league passed on him multiple times!

Whether you like Brown or not (I for one think he will be a force for Carolina in the future) please refrain from using that idiotic argument again. But now that I think about it, every team in the league passed on Byrd, some teams twice… no way he could be good. Even more teams passed on Levitre, and more on Nelson, and even more on Harris.... we are so screwed now…

I tried to make this very same argument several times in this thread to no avail. People just seem to forget that once upon a time the Bills' roster consisted of a 4th rd WR, a center from the USFL, a disregarded aging WR, a second rd RB and many other players that were over-looked by the rest of the league that just so happen to be in the HOF or should be in the HOF, in Reed and Hull's case.

Did "Everette Brown looking good per rotoworld" just generate 6 pages of discussion?

I liked Brown before the draft and most certainly before the rotoworld report. This subject just so happens to be the best debate about football going on the wall right now. What else is there to talk about this time of year?

Jason Taylor

Aaron Schoebel

Justin Tuck

Usi Umenyora

Um, all those guys you listed were not thought of as top prospects coming out of college. Brown was considered one of the top DEs, if not the top, at the offseason. For whatever reason during the evaluation process, he slipped into a mid 2nd rounder. There obviously were a lot of concerns and not jsut from the Bills.

I'm sure Andre Wadsworth looked good in OTAs. This is just a flat out dumb argument to make about players who have not even taken a real NFL snap.

Jason Taylor

Aaron Schoebel

Justin Tuck

Usi Umenyora

You are entirely misunderstanding why I made that point...one, no draft is accurate...players taking late become hall of famers and players taken #1 overall get busted for drugs. My point was at the nerve to say DJ is an idiot for passing on a guy that everyone passed on. Clearly, the professional scouts and GM's were not as high on this guy as the posters on this board throughout the NFL, but they then fault our FO for having the same opinnion. In other words, its not like we passed on a guy every team in the league was after and took some joke of a player.

Only time will tell if it was the right move or not. And FYI, if we dont take Byrd, Carolina doesnt trade their first round pick next year to the team behind us because they were going to TURN DOWN the 1st round pick next year from Carolina to take Byrd. So I find it interesting that both us and them prefer Byrd over a first round pick next year or Brown.

I will trust them, who do this for a living. And one last thing, I have seen the kid play live several times, and every time the game was over he seemed like the one player we all kept talking about from either team. He is going to be special in my opinnion at safety.

Let's be realistic, Byrd was not a need position guy for the bills, Brown was and is. Even in Maybin pans out, we are still stuck with either Kelsay or a rapidly aging Shobel on the other side.

Jauron is an idiot, for that fact alone.

Leaving alone the fact that Brown was much more sought after, or that another team traded next year's first for the remarkable opportunity they saw to get this talent WITH THE NEXT PICK. ie, WE could have had another #1 pick next year, or Brown, and we got.... Byrd, a guy that has never even played the position we drafted him to play.

Ridiculous.

But, by all means, keep the faith, maybe the bills will win 7 games again this year, ensuring Jaurons continued tenure, you can be happy.

Please explain how we dont have a glaring need at safety? How many passes defended did our safeties have last year? How many INT's? Scott was not our answer...and the FO doesnt think he is either obviously

Let me get this straight.

1) We should wait till we get the pads on and hit for real before we pass judgment.

2) It's still before the pads are on, and yet you've decided that Byrd will make an immediate impact this season and will stand out more than any other player we drafted?

How about waiting till the pads go on before we evaluate Byrd? IMHO, predicting big things for almost any rookie is a stretch, and particularly a rookie who will play a different position in the pros than he did in college. Byrd is (based on the law of averages) most like a pick that will start to pay off next year. Hope I'm wrong, though.

We shall wait and see. At this point it is all speculation. But some guy saying a DL looks good in shorts at practice is just silly. If i remember right the Panthers also got the LB last year that dropped from PSU. How did he do last year????