Everette Brown

Panthers second-round pick Everette Brown is taking first-team reps at left defensive end during offseason practices.

It's hard to imagine John Fox starting a rookie right away, but Brown has impressed RT Jeff Otah with his strength, which is saying something. Brown is 6'2/256 soaking wet to the mammoth Otah's 6'6/330 after a three-day fast.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

for real?

Not to answer for him, but no I don't think he was being serious. Some around here might actually have that reaction though, which is typical of TSW lately. Bottom line: A lot of players look good in May-June mini camps that don't include pads or contact. It really isn't all that difficult.

Not to answer for him, but no I don't think he was being serious. Some around here might actually have that reaction though, which is typical of TSW lately. Bottom line: A lot of players look good in May-June mini camps that don't include pads or contact. It really isn't all that difficult.

I was being serious. The pass rush is a serious problem for the Bills. Schobel is aging and coming off of an injury plagued season and Kelsay can't get to the QB to save his life. Brown combined with Maybin would've given us twice the chance at addressing our pass rush issues.

BTW. I like Scott at SS and Whitner at FS. If one of those guys go down, we still have Ko Simpson as a back up. Florence might be a good safety as well. We're very deep at CB.

I was being serious. The pass rush is a serious problem for the Bills. Schobel is aging and coming off of an injury plagued season and Kelsay can't get to the QB to save his life. Brown combined with Maybin would've given us twice the chance at addressing our pass rush issues.

BTW. I like Scott at SS and Whitner at FS. If one of those guys go down, we still have Ko Simpson as a back up. Florence might be a good safety as well. We're very deep at CB.

You like Scott at SS? Or is it that he is the tallest midget at the position? Sorry but i dont like Scott as a every down safety. He is and has always been a back up. In Byrd the Bills got a player that will make an immediate impact this season. He will probably stand out more then any other player the Bills drafted this year.

Not saying anything against Brown i hope he does a great job. But lets put the pads on and hit for real before we pass judgement. And he is probably taking first team reps because Peppers is a no show.

You like Scott at SS? Or is it that he is the tallest midget at the position? Sorry but i dont like Scott as a every down safety. He is and has always been a back up. In Byrd the Bills got a player that will make an immediate impact this season. He will probably stand out more then any other player the Bills drafted this year.

Not saying anything against Brown i hope he does a great job. But lets put the pads on and hit for real before we pass judgement. And he is probably taking first team reps because Peppers is a no show.

If you think Scott is a midget, wait until you see Byrd. He's probably the shortest safety in the NFL.

To make matters worse, he has never even played safety.

One thing for sure though, he is a ball hawk. I hope that translates to the safety position in the NFL.

Oh, he was...

Oh, he was...

Thanks, but I already replied. Try reading the posts first before you make a smart a%$, back-hand comment.

Safety wasn't a huge priority for the Bills, IMO, compared to pass rush.

If you think Scott is a midget, wait until you see Byrd. He's probably the shortest safety in the NFL.

To make matters worse, he has never even played safety.

One thing for sure though, he is a ball hawk. I hope that translates to the safety position in the NFL.

He played safety in high school. I know thats not anywhere near the NFL level but it something.

Thanks, but I already replied. Try reading the posts first before you make a smart a%$, back-hand comment.

Safety wasn't a huge priority for the Bills, IMO, compared to pass rush.

Obviously to the only group of people that really matters in this discussion, Brandon and Co., it was a pretty big priority. I also liked the way Scott played last year, but is he really a viable long-term answer? Ko Simpson wasn't very good last year, and he's clearly a bit of a mess off the field. He could very well be cut before the season even starts. Whitner also had his fair share of issues last season when he was on the field and healthy. Safety is clearly not a strong point on this team. We used the #11 overall pick on a defensive end in Maybin, so I have no problem with using the #42 on Byrd if they see him as the answer at one of the safety spots, which I think they did at the time of the draft and still do today. I'm not going to lose any sleep over passing on Brown for him just because some guy that Rotoworld employs is reporting that he looks good in sweats and a tee shirt.

Obviously to the only group of people that really matters in this discussion, Brandon and Co., it was a pretty big priority. I also liked the way Scott played last year, but is he really a viable long-term answer? Ko Simpson wasn't very good last year, and he's clearly a bit of a mess off the field. He could very well be cut before the season even starts. Whitner also had his fair share of issues last season when he was on the field and healthy. Safety is clearly not a strong point on this team. We used the #11 overall pick on a defensive end in Maybin, so I have no problem with using the #42 on Byrd if they see him as the answer at one of the safety spots, which I think they did at the time of the draft and still do today. I'm not going to lose any sleep over passing on Brown for him just because some guy that Rotoworld employs is reporting that he looks good in sweats and a tee shirt.

You make some good points, but it's not the rotoworld report that made me wish we took Brown. I liked Brown a lot before the draft and I also respect Carolina's judgment in personnel. They gave up next year's first for him. Hell, I wish the Bills would've made that deal.

To take this topic even further, deep down inside I wish the Bills would go back to the 3-4 defense. Brown and Maybin would probably make great OLB's in that scheme.

You make some good points, but it's not the rotoworld report that made me wish we took Brown. I liked Brown a lot before the draft and I also respect Carolina's judgment in personnel. They gave up next year's first for him. Hell, I wish the Bills would've made that deal.

To take this topic even further, deep down inside I wish the Bills would go back to the 3-4 defense. Brown and Maybin would probably make great OLB's in that scheme.

I actually liked Brown quite a bit before the draft as well. He and Maybin were the guys I wanted as far as defensive ends go, more so than Orakpo or Ayers. As far as your other point about the 3-4 scheme goes, you're damn right about that and I couldn't agree more. The sad thing is, it seems like we have, or are pretty close to having, really good personell to make it work, too. Picture Stroud as the nose, Schobel as right end, a combination of Denney, Spencer Johnson, Kelsay (If he's still around), and Maybin at times at right end. Kyle Williams and Johnson could also spot Stroud at nose from time to time. Hypothetically speaking, if we went with Brown at #42 that would leave him, Mitchell, Posluzny, and Maybin/Nic Harris/Alvin Bowen/Ellison ( :( ) as our linebacking core. That sounds like a damn good 3-4 front 7 to me. So, you're right, if we did decide to go convert to a 3-4 base defense, Brown would have been the better pick at #42 and we would have a damn good 3-4 front 7. Ah, speculation.

Byrd over Brown? Idiots! :lol::(

Ah, the offseason, where idiotic posts like this are the norm. One comment about a player before he has played a down in the NFL and suddenly the Bills are idiots.

How many rookies have gotten "good press" like this only to disappear once the ball is live? What kind of childish mind do you have that you would react with such negativity because someone wrote something about a DE's strength? Does that make him an impact football player?

How about deferring judgment until AT LEAST the end of the season, when we've had a chance to see the impact Byrd can make on the D. I'm excited about that guy.

Kripes this place is such a playground sometimes.

Ah, the offseason, where idiotic posts like this are the norm. One comment about a player before he has played a down in the NFL and suddenly the Bills are idiots.

How many rookies have gotten "good press" like this only to disappear once the ball is live? What kind of childish mind do you have that you would react with such negativity because someone wrote something about a DE's strength? Does that make him an impact football player?

How about deferring judgment until AT LEAST the end of the season, when we've had a chance to see the impact Byrd can make on the D. I'm excited about that guy.

Kripes this place is such a playground sometimes.

You must have missed the part that I bolded where he clarified his initial statement about Brown, huh? Or did you notice it and still decide to waste your time with that post and attempt to be an idiot about it?

You must have missed the part that I bolded where he clarified his initial statement about Brown, huh? Or did you notice it and still decide to waste your time with that post and attempt to be an idiot about it?

I don't scan every post, a-wipe. A post, particularly a thread starter, should stand on its own. I replied to an asinine post.

I don't scan every post, a-wipe. A post, particularly a thread starter, should stand on its own. I replied to an asinine post.

If you plan on laying into someone's very broad statement, you really should read some of the 15 posts after it to see if there was any clarification. Then you probably wouldn't have considered it so asinine, like I didn't when it was explained to me after I questioned it. Although I know how reading a couple more posts rather than just blindly responding to one can be so time consuming.....