WR situation

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have looked at our receiver situation and I am baffled that we continue to employ the likes of Josh Reed. What does he give us really. He once was an award winning receiver coming out of LSU and had all the promise in the world. Now he is nothing more than a third down, possession receiver. He offers nothing as far as special teams, or points. He is too small to be a factor around the goal line (similar to Parrish), but offers nothing after the catch, evident by his 23 consecutive games w/out a TD snapped late last season.

Many believe that parrish should be gone come training camp cuts and i think it should be Reed. Parrish helps on special teams and IMHO would be better served in the slot given the abundance of opportunities that Reed has seen. Also Steve Johnson would be nice to put in the slot with Evans and Owens if he can keep up the play he closed out 2008 with. I also think that 5 receivers is what will make the 53 man roster and Evans, Owens, Johnson, Parrish and Hardy seem to me to be our best 5.

After 8 years of Reed simply being a small possession receiver that disappears when needed, it is time to move on and give parrish and johnson more opportunities to shine. Parrish would be great in the slot between the twenties and then use johnson and hardy in the slots inside the twenties. Those are my "hopes", let me know your opinions!

Did you happent to catch a game last year?

I like Reed, but I doubt he'll drag down that many. His career high is 58 receptions, and we just added TO to the mix...there are only so many receptions to go around.

Ahh, but the arrival of TO is exactly why we should expect to see Reed's numbers increase. As coverages attempt to take away Evans and Owens, who do you think will be matched up one-on-one with a LB or S?

I predict a Huuuuuuge year for Josh.

I used to be like you. Just like you. Then I started actually watching Josh Reed. First of all, all his catches, first downs. Continually. He finds the marker, he goes past it, he catches ball. Moves chains. Second of all, he is the best blocking receiver we have on this team. For a team that likes to dump it to running backs, that is important. He may not be the most skilled receiver ever, but he is willing to do the dirty things that some receivers aren't willing to do. And in my opinion that makes him valuable. It's not like he's getting overpaid.

Here's to you Josh Reed.

I like Reed for the same reasons but if we can find a guy who can do that and be more effective elsewhere, we shouldn't hesitate to do so. So far, we haven't. Realistically, at his age, Josh's career probably doesn't have many years left. I wouldn't be surprised if Steve Johnson passes him on the depth chart this year and if that happens, we may have to finally say good bye to a very classy guy.

Ahh, but the arrival of TO is exactly why we should expect to see Reed's numbers increase. As coverages attempt to take away Evans and Owens, who do you think will be matched up one-on-one with a LB or S?

I don't see why a decent safety wouldn't be able to cover him, he is neither large nor a speed burner. If he is on the filed, the defense will, at the very least, have one if not two extra DB's in. I really don't think Josh has seen much double coverage in his career and it didn't lead to him being much more than a fairly reliable if unspectacular posession receiver.

I am just as excited as anyone to have TO on the roster but I think we are maybe overestimating his ability to transfrom the offense and every player on it. He will have a positive impact, no doubt but I think Josh Reed will still be what he has always been, a steady player skilled at gettting under the skin of his opponents who blocks well and unfailingly runs the right pattern. I hope he fends off the competition for another year.

Reed is not small he is just shorter than most Recievers but size wise he is a pretty big guy.

I agree, he is built solid as a tree stump. We try to use him on WR screens but have botched most of those though I think its a good idea. Maybe with a line that a little smaller and more agile we can pull those off better. Timing is everything on screen passes. One of my favorite plays in all of football. A well choreographed screen is a think of beauty.

I have looked at our receiver situation and I am baffled that we continue to employ the likes of Josh Reed. What does he give us really. He once was an award winning receiver coming out of LSU and had all the promise in the world. Now he is nothing more than a third down, possession receiver. He offers nothing as far as special teams, or points. He is too small to be a factor around the goal line (similar to Parrish), but offers nothing after the catch, evident by his 23 consecutive games w/out a TD snapped late last season.

Many believe that parrish should be gone come training camp cuts and i think it should be Reed. Parrish helps on special teams and IMHO would be better served in the slot given the abundance of opportunities that Reed has seen. Also Steve Johnson would be nice to put in the slot with Evans and Owens if he can keep up the play he closed out 2008 with. I also think that 5 receivers is what will make the 53 man roster and Evans, Owens, Johnson, Parrish and Hardy seem to me to be our best 5.

After 8 years of Reed simply being a small possession receiver that disappears when needed, it is time to move on and give parrish and johnson more opportunities to shine. Parrish would be great in the slot between the twenties and then use johnson and hardy in the slots inside the twenties. Those are my "hopes", let me know your opinions!

It's increasingly obvious that very few BILLS' fans who post on this board actually know anything about football.

Of the 9 games that Edwards and Reed started and completed in 2008, the Bills were 7-2. It could just be a coincidence, but I don't think so. Reed is Edwards' go-to guy.

And he was JP's too (if Lee wasn't open). One thing I don't hear mentioned much is he seems to have the best awareness with regards to coming back to his QB when he's in trouble (scrambles) or holds the ball for longer than usual.

----------------

I'm starting to think the writing is on the wall that Hardy is going to start the year PUP, which may open a 6th WR(ST) slot for Jenkins.

Bills Minicamp Wrap Up

PUP for Hardy?

Whether James Hardy will be ready for training camp remains to be seen. The second-year wideout has maintained that he should be ready to participate fully come the end of training camp in mid to late August. Prior to that however, the team could choose to put him on the physically unable to perform list.

“I would say that is a possibility,” said Jauron.

If put on Active PUP Hardy would be able to come off of that list and practice as soon as he passes his physical.

John DiGiorgio is also coming off of ACL surgery, but is about two months ahead of Hardy in terms of rehab and likely won’t be placed on PUP at the start of camp , though Jauron did not rule it out.

So:

DiGiorgio is two months ahead of Hardy

DiGiorgio probably will be ready to start participating by July 25th (start of TC)

-->Hardy probably will be ready to start participating by late September

Sure, these are general statements.... DiGiorgio could be ready by July 1st, and/or Hardy could be 6 weeks behind him. But, I think (reading between the lines) the Bills are not optimistic Hardy will be ready by the start of the season.

The other thing to like about Reed this year is he'll be playing in his more natural position, the slot. The first year he was here when they had Price at the #2, Reed played much better from the slot. I'd expect the same this year. Additionally he is a very good blocker, which again from the slot likely is even better.

If we have someone better, great then play that person, but Reed from the slot I think wil lbe hard to beat!

I don't see why a decent safety wouldn't be able to cover him, he is neither large nor a speed burner. If he is on the filed, the defense will, at the very least, have one if not two extra DB's in. I really don't think Josh has seen much double coverage in his career and it didn't lead to him being much more than a fairly reliable if unspectacular posession receiver.

I am just as excited as anyone to have TO on the roster but I think we are maybe overestimating his ability to transfrom the offense and every player on it. He will have a positive impact, no doubt but I think Josh Reed will still be what he has always been, a steady player skilled at gettting under the skin of his opponents who blocks well and unfailingly runs the right pattern. I hope he fends off the competition for another year.

Wow. Where to begin. Ahh, forget it -- I'd be wasting keypresses.

Josh Reed is the poor man's Hines Ward. He brings alot of value to a team that has other playmakers. I would hate to see him left out of the mix this year.

the Bills have very few other players that make plays.

Fred Jackson and hopefully TO

Lee Evans is a mirage

the Bills have very few other players that make plays.

Fred Jackson and hopefully TO

Lee Evans is a mirage

I'm not sure why you would qualify Jackson as a playmaker but not Evans. To me, this team has a handful of guys that can get it done. Evans, Lynch, Jackson, and TO are all playmakers. Josh Reed compliments all of them. He's not outstanding in any area but solid in most. The guy plays is ass off.

This offense has the potential to be great.

Unlike some of my fellow posters, I WILL reply to this post;

A decent safety covering Reed??? Are you for real??? Safeties are safeties for a reason, they don't man up on a 3rd receiver. And if they HAVE to, even better. Do you watch Football?? A 3rd DB would be rushed in (if they somehow were unaware of our personnel on the field) to cover Reed. Not sure if you know this, but DB's are on a depth chart basis as well, and it's usually due to skill. So...... having a #3 back covering you instead of a #2 back covering you usually means...... yep....... you got it now........ yay!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm not trying to be mean here, but seriously, a safety on Reed?? That would be the best thing that ever happened to him... :lol::rolleyes::rolleyes:

Funny. There are so many different things to respond to in this thread I don't know where to start. It seems this place has become so much more snarky and in some ways straight up childish than when I first joined back in the mid 90s but I digress. I think it will suffice to just say this...

Going into training camp I feel Josh Reed looks to be poised for a very big season. I don't know about the comparisons to his rookie season because that year Drew Bledsoe was slinging it very deep to 1 and 1a so much that the middle and underneath were wide open way more than I expect them to be with Edwards throwing.

With that said, if one of those other guys that are being discussed as being better prospects than Reed are truly better then they will have the opportunity to prove it in camp. If they can't do it there they don't deserve to unseat him and send him to the waiver wire. After all if they can't beat the Bill's number one or number two defenses in practice, what would lead anyone to believe they would beat the other teams number one defense in a live game situation

It all boils down to one of the oldest adages: May the best man win!

Funny. There are so many different things to respond to in this thread I don't know where to start. It seems this place has become so much more snarky and in some ways straight up childish than when I first joined back in the mid 90s but I digress. I think it will suffice to just say this...

Going into training camp I feel Josh Reed looks to be poised for a very big season. I don't know about the comparisons to his rookie season because that year Drew Bledsoe was slinging it very deep to 1 and 1a so much that the middle and underneath were wide open way more than I expect them to be with Edwards throwing.

With that said, if one of those other guys that are being discussed as being better prospects than Reed are truly better then they will have the opportunity to prove it in camp. If they can't do it there they don't deserve to unseat him and send him to the waiver wire. After all if they can't beat the Bill's number one or number two defenses in practice, what would lead anyone to believe they would beat the other teams number one defense in a live game situation

It all boils down to one of the oldest adages: May the best man win!

Behind T.O. and LE? Not to mention ML and FJ. There are only so many plays on offense. Reed having a big season seems like a tall order to me. Especially if Trent is looking down field through his ear hole.