WR situation

Behind T.O. and LE? Not to mention ML and FJ. There are only so many plays on offense. Reed having a big season seems like a tall order to me. Especially if Trent is looking down field through his ear hole.

First I will state that I referring to Reed being poised for having a good season for a number three receiver. I sincerely apologize for not qualifying that or defining the word poise ( http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/poise[1]). Now before I waste my time researching the stats of the number three receiver on top 10 NFL teams last year, I will ask a simple question. What do you feel is a big season for a number three receiver? Please refrain from giving me numbers for a number one or number two receiver and think in terms of a slot guy. Comparing the stats and expectations of a number three receiver with those of number one and number two receivers is not really logical. While I realize I live in a state where logic and reason are suspended I'm personally not ready to give up on them.

I still stand by my opinion about Reed being poised to have a very big season. As I qualified in my first post I know you can't take the 2002 year as an absolute indicator but that is the last time Reed had an actual bona fide number two receiver on the field with him. In that year Moulds caught 100 balls, Price caught 94 balls, both going for over 1200 yards. Riemersma (32) and Moore (16) chipped in another 48 catches. Travis (Captain Cocaine) Henry by himself rushed for almost 1400 yards on 325 carries that year, along with another 43 receptions. Factor in another 44 receptions and 23 carries by Larry Centers(43/13) and Shawn Bryson(1/10), who basically shared the role of Jackson, and the backs on the 2002 team had 435 touches. Last year between carries and catches Marshawn (250/1036, 47/300) and Freddy (130/571, 37/317) combined for 464 total touches.

While I'm not disputing your concern about Trent looking out of his ear hole, the argument that there are not enough touches to go around is not really valid to me. Especially when considering that the 2K2 offense didn't run the no huddle and the intent this year is to use it a bunch, which usually results in an offense running more plays overall. While our offensive line is a serious concern I would hardly consider the 2002 line of Jennings, Brown, Teague, Sullivan and super bust Mike Williams as world beaters. In fact I'm pretty sure that line had three guys that were first year starters. If Trent can make the right read and get the ball out quickly to the open man he can help negate that weakness.

Hopefully you can see where I'm coming from in my opinion that Reed is poised for a very good year. The last time he had the kind of talent around him that he'll have this year he was a rookie that caught 37 for over 500 yards and two TDs. At that time he had two veteran tight ends and one of the greatest pass catching backs in NFL history gobbling up touches that Moulds, Price, and Henry weren't getting. At this point in his career Reed is a way more polished a route runner, understands coverages and where to squat to get the open looks, and is one of the better blockers. With LE and TO commanding double teams, an inexperienced and unproven TE corps, as well as linebackers forced to crowd the line to account for the RBs, a guy that has already developed into Trent's security blanket should get a lot of opportunity to make plays or help others make hem. At this point in his career I think he's in a position to really take advantage of it. You might say he is poised...

;)

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't see why a decent safety wouldn't be able to cover him, he is neither large nor a speed burner. If he is on the filed, the defense will, at the very least, have one if not two extra DB's in. I really don't think Josh has seen much double coverage in his career and it didn't lead to him being much more than a fairly reliable if unspectacular posession receiver.

I am just as excited as anyone to have TO on the roster but I think we are maybe overestimating his ability to transfrom the offense and every player on it. He will have a positive impact, no doubt but I think Josh Reed will still be what he has always been, a steady player skilled at gettting under the skin of his opponents who blocks well and unfailingly runs the right pattern. I hope he fends off the competition for another year.

Wes Welker is also neither large nor a speed-burner. There are a million attributes that help recievers become successful. Height and speed are only two, and many many recievers have been successful without either.

Steve Largent, for instance. There is a mildly successful NFL reciever who was neither big nor fast. Marvin Harrison for another.

As for what all those chain moving receptions and two extra yards on the occasional run have amounted to over the last few years, yeah it gets annoying to watch the guy catch a ball and fall down waiting to be touched, step out of bounds, or simply do nothing other than catch it. What i am saying is that it is time for new blood and to see what these other WR's can do. If RP goes, he will produce elsewhere which the bills like to do. They will most likely keep Reed and play him over the others...That has just gotten tiresome to me. we have Wr's that can be capable blockers while producing more than 45 receptions for 450 yards and no TD's. Hines Ward does much more than that!

Well if your gonna say one wide reciever falls down or runs out of bounds that is more Evans than it is Reed. I see Reed putting his head down and running in to guys. Im not sure which game it was but it 2 or 3 seasons ago where he trucked through 2 guys to get a touchdown. now you're gonna be like oh one tim but he he does that all the time just doesn't always break the tackle or get the TD. What happened to are team when Reed went out for 3 games last year.......hmmmm a 17 to 26 loss to the jets, 20 to 10 loss to New england but hey there is a possibilty we could have won they weren't to good last year, and the game where he was missed the most was the 27 to 29 loss to the Browns on prime time. Reed has found his place on this team. he knows he is the huge playmaker but it is his job to go out and get first downs. A lot of WR's only think about makin that huge play but reed is thinking about what can i do to help this TEAM.