Why is Vince McMahon and WWE painted as the villian?

in this whole Nuggets v Monday Night Raw mess? Granted McMahon is a showman and looks for every opportunity to get face time, but I am sorry, he is in the right on this one....it seemed like it was McMahon against the world when he had a valid contract to conduct his business....the NBA and the Nuggets should have dealt with this quietly, knowing who they were dealing with...instead it seemed they took a hard stance and wanted to ignore the valid contract McMahon had...

I think that McMahon is in the right too. NBA should have moved the game... If the nhl can move a hockey game for friggin Yanni, the NBA can move a game for a sellout wrestling event.

One thing's for sure: I'll be watching RAW on monday.

not sure if they should have moved the game, just think they should have made a very large offer to him, which they very well may have, to go away quietly to a different city with a future date in denver....nba semi's should be able to trump wwe...i just think nba and the nuggets took a conceited approach and underestimated the showmanship of mcmahon

I think that McMahon is in the right too. NBA should have moved the game... If the nhl can move a hockey game for friggin Yanni, the NBA can move a game for a sellout wrestling event.

not sure if they should have moved the game, just think they should have made a very large offer to him, which they very well may have, to go away quietly to a different city with a future date in denver....nba semi's should be able to trump wwe...i just think nba and the nuggets took a conceited approach and underestimated the showmanship of mcmahon

But, in theory, shouldn't t he NBA have received a list of dates that the arena was booked?

The NBA can't afford to give Kobe the night off in Denver.

Do the Nuggets own the arena. If that's the case and I'm Vince McMahon, I wouldn't be going back to that arena anytime soon.

I agree that the game should have been pushed back another night. It's not like the idea of stretching out a playoff series is new to the NBA; they do it often.

It seems to me the NBA and Stan Kroenke shouldn't have got into this dispute with Vinny Mac. He's an entertainer and took full advantage of the situation, and it will reap benefits as far as viewers to his TV programs. Even though they're painted as bad guys in this situation, the NBA should appreciate a little extra publicity.

The NHL would probably get lessen ratings than a national televised Yanni concert so they don't really have a choice.

But Mcmahon is right and the NBA should back the game up a day.

The NHL would probably get lessen ratings than a national televised Yanni concert so they don't really have a choice.

But Mcmahon is right and the NBA should back the game up a day.

I agree that McMahon was legally right, in this case, but, moving an NBA playoff game back a night, is much more complicated, and involves many more parties, than moving a Yanni concert, or even an NHL playoff game. I am sure McMahon and the WWE made out okay in the "settlement". If the NBA had tried to move their game back, they would be breaking their contract with ESPN, TNT. Those networks pay huge money to broadcast NBA games, and they are scheduled so that one game does not compete with the other. The NHL has only one national television contract (during the week) on Versus, while NBC games are televised exclusively on weekend afternoons. Plus, the NHL isn't as concerned about having one of their series competing with another, as you point out, they are just happy to have any viewers, anywhere, in the states. Not a swipe at the NHL (I love the game) just the reality. The NBA is a much bigger deal, nationally than hockey.

I agree that McMahon was legally right, in this case, but, moving an NBA playoff game back a night, is much more complicated, and involves many more parties, than moving a Yanni concert, or even an NHL playoff game. I am sure McMahon and the WWE made out okay in the "settlement". If the NBA had tried to move their game back, they would be breaking their contract with ESPN, TNT. Those networks pay huge money to broadcast NBA games, and they are scheduled so that one game does not compete with the other. The NHL has only one national television contract (during the week) on Versus, while NBC games are televised exclusively on weekend afternoons. Plus, the NHL isn't as concerned about having one of their series competing with another, as you point out, they are just happy to have any viewers, anywhere, in the states. Not a swipe at the NHL (I love the game) just the reality. The NBA is a much bigger deal, nationally than hockey.

Furthermore, something thats being overlooked is this is a Memorial Day game. Its not like they can just move it to another day and its the same thing for the league, in terms of advertising revenue. They needed to find a way to get the game played in that arena on Monday night, and it looks like they managed it.

I think both sides handled it pretty well. The Rich-Creamies HAD to take a hard stance, and Vince HAD to back down eventually, even if it was after milking it for some extra pub. Cause if WWE had actually put their foot in the sand here and demanded use of the arena, as a wrestling fan, I would have been concerned that they come out of this looking like the bad guy. I'm glad McMahon bowed out.

So if McMahon booked Ralph Wilson Stadium & the Bills were forced to move a semi final round playoff game to Toronto, you'd be ok with that.

That's what this is equal to. Basically a circus act trying to toss out the main tenant of the building which could result in the team losing a championship. Denver needs that home court advantage if they have any hope of winning this series because the series is too close to just throw away a home game.

So if McMahon booked Ralph Wilson Stadium & the Bills were forced to move a semi final round playoff game to Toronto, you'd be ok with that.

That's what this is equal to. Basically a circus act trying to toss out the main tenant of the building which could result in the team losing a championship. Denver needs that home court advantage if they have any hope of winning this series because the series is too close to just throw away a home game.

I'm 23, maybe there has been in the past, but when the hell has anything entertainment wise ever happened at the Ralph other than a bills game? Besides your situation it ridiculous because WWE usually doesn't do shows outside, so they sure as hell wouldn't do one in buffalo in January/February. (Wrestlemania 9 and 24 were the only ones i remember, one was in Vegas the other in Florida)

Secondly McMahon is throwing stones here. For those who know a lot about him and his business practices (used to be a wrestling addict, haven't watched the crap in 2 years) know that Vince loves to pull out of venues last minute. Hell he did it yesterday when the Pepsi center agreed to let McMahon tape Raw on Sunday so the Denver fans could still enjoy the show. But instead he pulled out and is doing the show at Staples Center.

The Nuggets should have shown more faith in their team, and this would have never happened.

Secondly McMahon is throwing stones here. For those who know a lot about him and his business practices (used to be a wrestling addict, haven't watched the crap in 2 years) know that Vince loves to pull out of venues last minute. Hell he did it yesterday when the Pepsi center agreed to let McMahon tape Raw on Sunday so the Denver fans could still enjoy the show. But instead he pulled out and is doing the show at Staples Center.

In McMahon's defense, its TERRIBLE for business when they tape RAW. Spoilers are all over the internet an hour after the taping is done with.

In McMahon's defense, its TERRIBLE for business when they tape RAW. Spoilers are all over the internet an hour after the taping is done with.

There's no denying that at all. The real losers here are the fans in Denver who ACTUALLY wanted to see the WWE live.

In my opinion, McMahon and the WWE were in the right from a business stand point, however, there were things which could have been done to resolve this without all of Vinny Mac's bluster and BS. The WWE was in Loveland (up the road a half hour) Sunday night and here in the Springs Tuesday night. It's not like RAW has never been taped and broadcast the next night. They could have flip-flopped ANY of the three dates.

It's the tact that McMahon uses that quite often turns people (this person in particular) off. He confuses his "ring persona" with his "business or main-stream media persona." In a straight interview with Bob Costas a couple years ago he used veiled threats like "you don't want me to get up out of this chair and come over there" or something to that effect. In interviews with ESPN, he loudly called out Nuggets owner Stan Kroenke and challenged him to a steel-cage match. (Is there any other way to resolve a grudge?) I mean c'mon Vince, look we GET that you are in great shape for a 50, nay 60 year old man, but really? You're going to result to the bully mentality? It's not like he's "from tha streets" either. He's a bully plain an simple.

Just my opinion on the subject..

In my opinion, McMahon and the WWE were in the right from a business stand point, however, there were things which could have been done to resolve this without all of Vinny Mac's bluster and BS. The WWE was in Loveland (up the road a half hour) Sunday night and here in the Springs Tuesday night. It's not like RAW has never been taped and broadcast the next night. They could have flip-flopped ANY of the three dates.

its not as easy as just flip flopping dates.

the world arena incolorado holds approx 8500 people for wrestling

the pepsi center holds at least 19039.

wwe always has lower numbers of tickets sold for house shows (non raw or smackdown tapings) and this is WHY they book smaller venus for these shows. so wwe would have lost a sh!tload of money by flip flopping dates.

also, the wrestlers have to pay for their own travel. how is it fair to them to have to pay cancellation fees on tickets into denver, canc fees on rental cars, canc fees on hotels, ect due to nuggets ownership's lack of foresight and the fact that nuggets ownership did not inform the nba that the building was already booked.

the nba and nuggets ownership screwed up big time.

its not as easy as just flip flopping dates.

the world arena incolorado holds approx 8500 people for wrestling

the pepsi center holds at least 19039.

wwe always has lower numbers of tickets sold for house shows (non raw or smackdown tapings) and this is WHY they book smaller venus for these shows. so wwe would have lost a sh!tload of money by flip flopping dates.

also, the wrestlers have to pay for their own travel. how is it fair to them to have to pay cancellation fees on tickets into denver, canc fees on rental cars, canc fees on hotels, ect due to nuggets ownership's lack of foresight and the fact that nuggets ownership did not inform the nba that the building was already booked.

the nba and nuggets ownership screwed up big time.

Strange, because it was reported out here that that exact deal was in place to happen until the Staples Center and MSG opened up at the 11th hour. So prior to those to venues being available, it sounded like that was a possibility.

Like I said, the WWE was in the right on this, but the way McMahon carries himself in his business dealings is childish and unnecessary. Really? Challenging a grown man to a cage match? Really? Using the veiled threat of "you don't want me to get up out of this chair."

No class thug, pure and simple.