Sporting News Ranks Stroud

The difference between Ngata and every other player that we theoretically could have had is that for a month before the draft, everyone on the board was talking about how much they wanted Ngata. Then on draft day, everyone talked about the odds Ngata would drop to us. Then once he did, people were thrilled that we were going to take him.

Then we didn't.

Then he turned out to be a superstar.

This isn't 20/20 hindsight exactly: this is the player the board wanted clearly being superior to the player the team picked.

• Replies 46
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

It's worth saying:

Ngata could've been a Buffalo Bill. But as we've been told ad nauseam, he didn't fit the Jauron system. Two years after wasting a pick on a DT and selecting a DB who is above average but not spectacular (because he doesn't have the players around him) Buffalo traded 2 picks for Stroud.

Team Building 101 courtesy of the Buffalo Bills, Russ Brandon, Marv Levy, et al.

Maybe if you continually crusade/B word about it a couple hundred more times per day than the 50-60 times already, the league will remove Ngata from the Ravens and put him on the Bills.

I like how you blamed the Ngata decision on Brandon, however. It takes a keen eye to blame the current management for a mistake the previous management made. Nice touch.

The difference between Ngata and every other player that we theoretically could have had is that for a month before the draft, everyone on the board was talking about how much they wanted Ngata. Then on draft day, everyone talked about the odds Ngata would drop to us. Then once he did, people were thrilled that we were going to take him.

Then we didn't.

This isn't 20/20 hindsight exactly: this is the player the board wanted clearly being superior to the player the team picked.

Ngata is a good player but you're getting carried away here. Has even made a pro bowl to be called a superstar? You act like the guy single-handedly saved the pitiful Ravens' defense. The Ravens were jsut as good with the undrafted Kelly Gregg starting at DT. Don't forget this is the same team where, according to this board, Leonhard and Bannan became superstars.

I really think if McCargo was drafted by the Ravens, he'd be a pretty good player at this point too.

If you are going to start playing that game, then you better get out a piece of paper. How many guys passed on Brady????

Everyone, though not as many times as Brady. Brady was pick 199 (6th round) while Canty was pick 132 (4th).

There's nothing like the "Coulda Shoulda Woulda" game, is there?

Maybe if you continually crusade/B word about it a couple hundred more times per day than the 50-60 times already, the league will remove Ngata from the Ravens and put him on the Bills.

I like how you blamed the Ngata decision on Brandon, however. It takes a keen eye to blame the current management for a mistake the previous management made. Nice touch.

:thumbsup:

The Ngata thing bugs me more than Mike Williams because it was just so unbelievably obvious.. :thumbsup:

wow your really bent on this! you can't change the past and let's face, all teams pick the player they feel best for them and once in a while they mess up. unfortunalty with the bills they do it more. there is nothing we can do but move on.

Everyone, though not as many times as Brady. Brady was pick 199 (6th round) while Canty was pick 132 (4th).

There's nothing like the "Coulda Shoulda Woulda" game, is there?

I'm still mad about the Bills not inviting Kurt Warner to camp. He wasn't even drafted. Why didn't we get him? :thumbsup:

Then we didn't.

EXACTLY

Everyone here. All the talking heads on TV. Everybody thought Ngata was our guy.

I screamed my freaking head off for half an hour when they didn't take him.

This was the ONLY time I was even remotely this angry in all my years of watching the Bills draft. (Fan since '73).

So, NO, we don't necessarily have to give this one up. It was our strongest indication of many, that however much we may love Marv as a coach and a man, he was a disaster as a talent selector.

Not just Whitner over Ngata, but a host of dubious FA moves - $2m/year for Peerless Price, anyone??

No, the constant reminder of mistakes they have made from previous years. I know I can just not read this but it gets old when some are on a constant crusade around here.

:thumbsup: Enough with the :cry: Deal with it. :lol:

Yeah? Well, they did make mistakes and should be pointed out for such. They aren't perfect. They do make poor choices. Ha ha-they made an error! Now I feel more perfecter.

:lol:

The Ngata thing bugs me more than Mike Williams because it was just so unbelievably obvious.. :thumbsup:

How many guys did you want the Bills to pick that have become busts? Why don't you mention those. I wanted Buffalo to move up for Ryan Leaf and also Tony Mandarich. Obviously two really stupid thoughts. I'm sure there are guys you desperately wanted Buffalo to grab that turned out to be busts. Why not talk about them?

I love it. You are right on. There are a few people here that love to live in the past. Not go forward. Fact is they got the 8th best ranked DT (according to the Sporting News) for a 3rd and a 5th. Now That is better then a 1st right???? Maybe you could look at it that way. But no, lets call the Bills F.O morons. Because you sitting in your cubicle could do a better job then them. RIGHHHHHHHHHHTTTT.

:lol:

If you are going to start playing that game, then you better get out a piece of paper. How many guys passed on Brady????

I'll add: Marques Colston (7th round), Terrel Davis (6th round), Andre Reed (4th round), Joe Montana (3rd round)... It's a game that can be played forever.

Tennessee took Vince Young 3rd, SF took Vernon Davis 6th and Oakland took Michael Huff 7th in the 2006 draft. In hindsight if those teams could trade their player for Whitner I think the majority would do it. JMO

What he said. :thumbsup:

It's worth saying:

Ngata could've been a Buffalo Bill. But as we've been told ad nauseam, he didn't fit the Jauron system. Two years after wasting a pick on a DT and selecting a DB who is above average but not spectacular (because he doesn't have the players around him) Buffalo traded 2 picks for Stroud.

Team Building 101 courtesy of the Buffalo Bills, Russ Brandon, Marv Levy, et al.

BillsVet you are being ridiculous. Why would you want Nagata, the third highest ranked DT, we you already have the third highest ranked safety in Whitn...oh, wait...that's right. Good point.

Well, we as Bills fans didn't want to draft Nagata anyw...oh, wait, that's not quite true, is it.

That's what I was (sarcastically) getting at. I guess I missed the mark.

EXACTLY

So, NO, we don't necessarily have to give this one up. It was our strongest indication of many, that however much we may love Marv as a coach and a man, he was a disaster as a talent selector.

Not just Whitner over Ngata, but a host of dubious FA moves - $2m/year for Peerless Price, anyone??

I'll always maintain it was Polian who was a bigger reason the Bills were so darn good from 88-99. His talent as a talent evaluator is evident from his work in Carolina and Indianapolis. He consistently builds playoff caliber teams.

Marv was voted into the HOF as a coach and for that he should be praised. He excelled at using big words and steadying the ship featuring all that talent. OTOH, his two seasons as GM left a lot to be desired. In his two years, Buffalo signed 14 UFA's. 13 are no longer with Buffalo. If those two years were a foundation for the future, Buffalo wouldn't be a 7-9 team in 2008.

I'll always maintain it was Polian who was a bigger reason the Bills were so darn good from 88-99. His talent as a talent evaluator is evident from his work in Carolina and Indianapolis. He consistently builds playoff caliber teams.

Marv was voted into the HOF as a coach and for that he should be praised. He excelled at using big words and steadying the ship featuring all that talent. OTOH, his two seasons as GM left a lot to be desired. In his two years, Buffalo signed 14 UFA's. 13 are no longer with Buffalo. If those two years were a foundation for the future, Buffalo wouldn't be a 7-9 team in 2008.

I bet if Marv got to pick Peyton Manning and Bruce Smith with #1 overall picks, he'd be a much better GM too. :thumbsup:

Give it a rest.

Thank you!

I read the first post and as soon as I saw Ngata, I wondered how long it would take for someone to say we should have drafted him and we suck for not drafting him and the FO blows. It took 3 posts. Wow. Get over it people. We didn't draft him. It's done. No more validation of your GM smarts are required. Ngata would have been a good pick. We all get it.

The problem is too many poeple think there's only one way to draft or build a team. And you refuse to believe anything to the contrary.

Thank you!

I read the first post and as soon as I saw Ngata, I wondered how long it would take for someone to say we should have drafted him and we suck for not drafting him and the FO blows. It took 3 posts. Wow. Get over it people. We didn't draft him. It's done. No more validation of your GM smarts are required. Ngata would have been a good pick. We all get it.

The problem is too many poeple think there's only one way to draft or build a team. And you refuse to believe anything to the contrary.

BTW, how did a thread about the Bills making a great trade turn into a B word fest on how much they suck? :lol:

And is Marv still with the Bills??

But i guess if we can get a hold of Doc and Marty, maybe they will let us borrow the Delorian and take it out for a spin. Then we could just go back and fix all these mistakes. But then what would guys like you have to do all day?

BTW, how did a thread about the Bills making a great trade turn into a B word fest on how much they suck? :lol:

Exactly! It's precisely this attitude that gets tiring and needs to be given a long overdue rest The Bills and Buffalo can never do anything positive or good without constantly being reminded of a past mistake or problem. Ever positive move is grounded in the firm cement of past failures. Let it go people. You can never move forward if you're continually living in the past; especially when you preferentially dwell in all the mistakes of the past.

It's kinda like that article in the other thread. We signed TO, people are excited, the City is excited, the national media is talking positively of Buffalo. But, wait, lets bring up how bad it is in Buffalo and why we shouldn't celebrate and be happy.

I'm sorry but its a loser's mentality. Yes, the Bills made mistakes. But they've also had successes. As others have stated, Ngata's success is largely a function of his current teammates. There's absolutely no assurance that he'd be the same player had the Bills selected him. Besides, draft a Safety at 8, sign a DT FA or draft a DT at 8, sign a S FA - what's the difference?