Tom Golisano

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

NY won't let him get away easy. They have a big set of rules related to domicile. It's more than just getting a drivers license or voting in a different state. They'll be watching how long he spends each year in NY or if he keeps a house in NY.

I'm sure that he can afford the tax lawyers to keep him clear, but after pissing off lots of politicians, they will be watching him closely.

What a hero he is. :flirt:0:) Someone give him a medal.

So I guess the logic here is when a billionaire dodges paying his taxes, he's not jobbing the system for his own advantage, he's sticking up for the little guy!

PTR

You've exceeded skooby moronic posts. Please take yourself "out".

NY won't let him get away easy. They have a big set of rules related to domicile. It's more than just getting a drivers license or voting in a different state. They'll be watching how long he spends each year in NY or if he keeps a house in NY.

I'm sure that he can afford the tax lawyers to keep him clear, but after pissing off lots of politicians, they will be watching him closely.

I've lived in both places. For me I'd be spending a hell of a lot more time in FL than NY.

What a hero he is. :worthy::worthy: Someone give him a medal.

So I guess the logic here is when a billionaire dodges paying his taxes, he's not jobbing the system for his own advantage, he's sticking up for the little guy!

PTR

How exactly is he dodging taxes? He's making a (smart) choice ot move from a tax you up the ass state to an income tax free state. People are allowed to move, aren't they?

Actually its pretty simple down here. Move, establish a residence. File a declaration of domicile form with the courthouse, get a FL drivers license and register to vote here in florida. After one calendar year, go down to the courthouse and declare yourself a resident of the state of florida.

Please explain how he is dodging taxes

He is still paying federal income taxes and will be subject to the tax laws of Florida, or whichever state he chooses to live

I was refering more to someone who uses an off-shore tax haven. Not that Tom Golisano is doing that. Sorry for the misstatement. But someone did make a post hailing TG for making the move as if it would help the middle class, which I fail to see. I agree NYS taxes are oppressive and if NYC wasn't the business hub of the country no business who bother to locate in NYS.

FYI: I happen to live in sales and income tax-free NH, yet people here still moan about taxes. The rule is thumb is whatever you are paying, you think it's too much.

PTR

Yet he blew his cash running as an Independent in three elections he had no chance of winning. I might also mention both parties were probably reluctant to nominate a man with zero political experience for the state's top political spot. Running a business (where you get to make the decisions) isn't like heading a state where decisions are brokered.

Well, the Republicans did nominate Mike Bloomberg for NYC mayor (arguably, at least as important as NYS Gov), and he had zero political experience. Even though I disagree with much of what Bloomberg has done, on a philosphical level, he has been a good mayor.

If he wanted to run for gov, its likely he'd win.

I've lived in both places. For me I'd be spending a hell of a lot more time in FL than NY.

Not me, but to each his/her own.

Fla has no State Income Tax, but everything else seems somewhat to a helluva lot more expensive down here.

Well, the Republicans did nominate Mike Bloomberg for NYC mayor (arguably, at least as important as NYS Gov), and he had zero political experience. Even though I disagree with much of what Bloomberg has done, on a philosphical level, he has been a good mayor.

If he wanted to run for gov, its likely he'd win.

The jobs may be similar in importance, but they are very different, politically. Local politics, even in a big city, is much different than on a state, or federal level.

1) I'm working for ADP.

2) My company is good, but could be great if they considered small businesses.

3) I'm going to start my own ADP and focus on small businesses.

4) Hey, I'm rich!

5) I'm going to change my little part of the world by becoming governor of this great state.

6) Well, maybe this state ain't so great. An honest man can win the office.

7) I can buy the Sabres and make them profitable and competitive. That's good right?

8) Jesus, I'm not getting my money's worth in taxes here.

9) I'm going to "move" to FL to make a statement about the stupidity of our state government.

Have I got that about right?

1) I'm working for ADP.

2) My company is good, but could be great if they considered small businesses.

3) I'm going to start my own ADP and focus on small businesses.

4) Hey, I'm rich!

5) I'm going to change my little part of the world by becoming governor of this great state.

6) Well, maybe this state ain't so great. An honest man can win the office.

7) I can buy the Sabres and make them profitable and competitive. That's good right?

8) Jesus, I'm not getting my money's worth in taxes here.

9) I'm going to "move" to FL to make a statement about the stupidity of our state government.

Have I got that about right?

And that's the best statement he could have made.

What a hero he is. :worthy::worthy: Someone give him a medal.

PTR

I'm pretty sure he is not jobbing the system but trying to minimize how much the system is jobbing him.

When you have his kind of money, you can lose it pretty quickly. I have been skilled enough to build a lifelong cushion but don't blame him for making sure he can survive.

The jobs may be similar in importance, but they are very different, politically. Local politics, even in a big city, is much different than on a state, or federal level.

Mayor of NYC and GOV of any state are much more difficult jobs than being a Senator.

Sarah Palin--despite her quasi knowledge of the english language--is a person I would trust to get things done.Senators are in a big gabfest all the time;with no budget to balance(except the FED Govt.'s where they can just print the money if those darned numbers don't work out).

Mayor of NYC and GOV of any state are much more difficult jobs than being a Senator.

Sarah Palin--despite her quasi knowledge of the english language--is a person I would trust to get things done.Senators are in a big gabfest all the time;with no budget to balance(except the FED Govt.'s where they can just print the money if those darned numbers don't work out).

At that is one of the reasons we have our first Senator/President since Kennedy.

At that is one of the reasons we have our first Senator/President since Kennedy.

Wrong. Obama is in because the economy collapsed on top of there being an unpopular war. That simple. I wish him well.

Wrong. Obama is in because the economy collapsed on top of there being an unpopular war. That simple. I wish him well.

Let me rephrase that. That is the main reason why we didn't have a Senator/President for all those years between Kennedy-Obama.