Tom Golisano

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not me, but to each his/her own.

Fla has no State Income Tax, but everything else seems somewhat to a helluva lot more expensive down here.

Pretty vague, though that's your MO. Please itemise, then compare to other states. Naaa, never mind, just trash Florida with your supposed elitist knowledge, SKOOBY. Idiot.

I think, no, I'm sure Darin is right about you.

Pretty vague, though that's your MO. Please itemise, then compare to other states. Naaa, never mind, just trash Florida with your supposed elitist knowledge, SKOOBY. Idiot.

Yup, that's why all those people on fixed incomes move there. :worthy:

Mayor of NYC and GOV of any state are much more difficult jobs than being a Senator.

Sarah Palin--despite her quasi knowledge of the english language--is a person I would trust to get things done.Senators are in a big gabfest all the time;with no budget to balance(except the FED Govt.'s where they can just print the money if those darned numbers don't work out).

The Senate is just a good ole boy's club. Especially with our current CA members.

I was refering more to someone who uses an off-shore tax haven. Not that Tom Golisano is doing that. Sorry for the misstatement. But someone did make a post hailing TG for making the move as if it would help the middle class, which I fail to see. I agree NYS taxes are oppressive and if NYC wasn't the business hub of the country no business who bother to locate in NYS.

FYI: I happen to live in sales and income tax-free NH, yet people here still moan about taxes. The rule is thumb is whatever you are paying, you think it's too much.

PTR

So I made a decision on the release of the pictures before I really knew what the pictures would do to the country , then flipped to accommodate my party to make sure that we'd be open WRT our transparency. I was wrong. HA!

Yup, that's why all those people on fixed incomes move there. :worthy:

I thought that was because the Federal Government pays for the bad things that occur in Florida but NY taxes pay for bad things which happen to NY. When you are 70 years old it is a lot easier to deal with occasional billion dollar storm paid for by Uncle Sam than shoveling 3-5 months on your own.

Johnson and Nixon were not Senators? :worthy:

Neither was elected President while a sitting Senator

Both were nominated as their parties respective Vice Presidential candidates while sitting Senators (Nixon w/Ike in 1952 and Johnson w/Kennedy in 1960)

Johnson was sworn in following Kennedy's assasination and was elected to his own term in 1964

Nixon was out of public office when elected in 1968

I expect personal attacks from people with no real intellectual capabilities. You and AD are two peas in a pod.

Real estate is higher, groceries are higher, restaurants tend to be more expensive...should I go on? Now, I'm comparing the prices here in St Augustine to that of WNY. I can't be certain about the entire state. But, as I believe Tom lives in either the Buffalo or Rochester area (and not in the NYC area) he will most certainly find his dollar doesn't go as far here, as it does where he currently lives.

As far as itemization, do it yourself, if you can figure out how to do it. I'll give you some help. Here is a "typical" home comparison on a state-by-state basis (with communities broken out) from 2006. Yes, I know the market has changed, but this is what you get to start with:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/26/real_estat...gment/index.htm

Now, if you move Darin's balls away from your eyes, perhaps you can read it for yourself.

The jobs may be similar in importance, but they are very different, politically. Local politics, even in a big city, is much different than on a state, or federal level.

I'm not sure I agree with this with respect to states (Federal executive branch, yes). Being mayor of NYC means leading a population and economy that is much larger and more complicated due to NYS's arcane gov't rules and layers and heavily entrenched unionized interests.

I expect personal attacks from people with no real intellectual capabilities. You and AD are two peas in a pod.

Real estate is higher, groceries are higher, restaurants tend to be more expensive...should I go on? Now, I'm comparing the prices here in St Augustine to that of WNY. I can't be certain about the entire state. But, as I believe Tom lives in either the Buffalo or Rochester area (and not in the NYC area) he will most certainly find his dollar doesn't go as far here, as it does where he currently lives.

As far as itemization, do it yourself, if you can figure out how to do it. I'll give you some help. Here is a "typical" home comparison on a state-by-state basis (with communities broken out) from 2006. Yes, I know the market has changed, but this is what you get to start with:

http://money.cnn.com/2006/09/26/real_estat...gment/index.htm

Now, if you move Darin's balls away from your eyes, perhaps you can read it for yourself.

Not here in tallahassee. Certain local/regional items are cheaper/more expensive down here, but thats to be expected. Gas is consistently 20 cents cheaper here than WNY.

Not here in tallahassee. Certain local/regional items are cheaper/more expensive down here, but thats to be expected. Gas is consistently 20 cents cheaper here than WNY.

Did you notice the "typical" home price in T-town?

Tallahassee $332,342, compared to:

Rochester $259,333

Buffalo $235,000

Syracuse $198,293

Now, I'm going to guess that Tom won't be buying a "typical" home, and won't end up in Tallahassee or Pensacola (the only community listed in Florida with an average home price lower than Rochester or Buffalo).

You are right about gas prices. WNY is consistently higher than most other areas for gas.Tallahassee

:worthy:

Indeed.

It gets much worse if Tom decides to a different part of Florida:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5000...;city2=51262500

And for the record, St Augustine Beach is far more expensive than Niagara Falls, the last place I lived in NYS:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5000...;city2=51262525

Indeed they were...

Sen. Lyndon Baines Johnson

(One of the reasons JFK picked LBJ for his running mate is because he did not want to have to deal with Johnson as majority leader in the Senate, preferring the more reasonable Mike Mansfield.)

Sen. Richard M. Nixon

Great point.

Also, even though this quote was attributed to LBJ when asked why he was keeping Hoover on as FBI Director.

I think it also applies to an additional reason why JFK wanted to bring LBJ into his administration.

"I'd rather have him inside the tent pissing out than outside pissing in"

:worthy:

Indeed.

It gets much worse if Tom decides to a different part of Florida:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5000...;city2=51262500

And for the record, St Augustine Beach is far more expensive than Niagara Falls, the last place I lived in NYS:

http://www.bestplaces.net/col/?salary=5000...;city2=51262525

If you were convicted of a violent crime..which would be the worse punishment..having to live in the city of Detroit or the city of Niagara Falls??

Neither was elected President while a sitting Senator

Both were nominated as their parties respective Vice Presidential candidates while sitting Senators (Nixon w/Ike in 1952 and Johnson w/Kennedy in 1960)

Johnson was sworn in following Kennedy's assasination and was elected to his own term in 1964

Nixon was out of public office when elected in 1968

Thanks, but my point was simply that they were indeed both Senators. I'm well aware that they were not sitting Senators when they became President. Nixon was practicing law in NYC with future AG and Watergate figure John Mitchell between his failed 1962 California gubernatorial campaign and his successful 1968 Presidential campaign. And, at my age, I'm painfully familiar with the events of Nov. 22, 1963 and Johnson's inauguration aboard Air Force One.

(BTW - that was one of 5 Presidential inaugurations/oaths of office that did not take place in Washington DC - who can name the others?)