Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

And how's that working out?

Well, it worked out well for JJ. Two straight SBs, including the best team of all time in 1993, IMO.

The 3-4 is just the current fad, like when everyone was switching to the 4-3 about 10 years ago. The Bill's problem is that they don't have a dominating DL.

This is JMO, but the modern Pittsburgh style 3-4 relies on big DLs to stop the run and complex rush/blitzes from the LBs and DBs to generate pressure on the QB. It looks good against weak OLs or QBs, but I don't believe that you can rely on frequent blitzing in the playoffs against strong offenses. They will beat you for big plays. You have to be able to dominate the line of scrimmage with your base personnel and the best way to do this is to have 4 athletic big men up front.

Now, Pittsburgh has won two super bowls using this defense but both Seattle and Arizona moved the ball very effectively against their defense in the Super Bowls and it was their offense that won them those games.

This is JMO, but the modern Pittsburgh style 3-4 relies on big DLs to stop the run and complex rush/blitzes from the LBs and DBs to generate pressure on the QB. It looks good against weak OLs or QBs, but I don't believe that you can rely on frequent blitzing in the playoffs against strong offenses. They will beat you for big plays. You have to be able to dominate the line of scrimmage with your base personnel and the best way to do this is to have 4 athletic big men up front.

Now, Pittsburgh has won two super bowls using this defense but both Seattle and Arizona moved the ball very effectively against their defense in the Super Bowls and it was their offense that won them those games.

Like Marv once said, it's the players not the scheme.

Well, it worked out well for JJ. Two straight SBs, including the best team of all time in 1993, IMO.

The 3-4 is just the current fad, like when everyone was switching to the 4-3 about 10 years ago. The Bill's problem is that they don't have a dominating DL.

This. This reminds me of the West Coast Offense fad from 10 years ago. Every time was chasing that dream, including the 2001 Bills. We all remember how that went.

Forcing schemes on ill-fitting personnel is so Gregg Williams.

Tim, you have any info on Wood?

Sorry I didn't answer this sooner. It's been a wild week. I finally closed on my house Friday, and I've been moving in. The truck finally came today.

So I'm sure everybody knows by now Wood is on IR and has a long recovery ahead.

I don't mean how the 4-3 is working out. I meant the way the Bills are doing it.

Why do they keep posting your picture on articles you didn't write? They're not claiming you wrote it, but it seems like the purpose is to make people think it was written by you and is a part of your AFC East blog.

No, the purpose is to get you to click on the link. Without a photo, nobody would notice. I'd prefer Taylor Swift.

Tim, Schefter said that 10 million was not close to the Bills offer. What are you hearing about what they are offering? Did they go above that or did they low ball him?

The $10 mil discussed in regard to Shanahan is as much lip service as the big offer they allegedly made to Peters, which in real dollars turned out to be significantly less than they claimed. Maybe there is some reality, but the devil is in the details about how much of the money is real and how it is paid out.

Bills have not made any representations as to how much they want to pay. all conjecture has come from media speculation.