Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3.5 sacks is not bad but he also has the pleasure of playing next to Haynesworth.

Yea, I was all for taking Orakpo as well. But looking at all the other DE's that people wanted us to take. None of them, zero, have done anything. Tyson Jackson, Connor Barwin, Michael Johnson, Robert Ayers, Jarron Gilbert, Everette Brown (1 sack against dreadful WAS). Even BJ Raji hasn't done well. Larry English too

3.5 sacks is not bad but he also has the pleasure of playing next to Haynesworth.

Certainly playing on the same defense as Haynesworth does not hurt, but I see quite a bit of the Skins living in the DC area and he is mostly playing OLB, only lining up hands down occasionaly. In what I have seen, he is effective when blitzing from the OLB position, totally lost in space when not rushing the passer, and no more effective than Maybin when lining up as a DE. I had hoped to see the Bills use Maybin more creatively to get him some opportunities to use his speed, but that is asking a lot of this coaching staff. Orapko does look stronger though, I would have to say. Maybin needs 20 more pounds of muscle.

Certainly playing on the same defense as Haynesworth does not hurt, but I see quite a bit of the Skins living in the DC area and he is mostly playing OLB, only lining up hands down occasionaly. In what I have seen, he is effective when blitzing from the OLB position, totally lost in space when not rushing the passer, and no more effective than Maybin when lining up as a DE. I had hoped to see the Bills use Maybin more creatively to get him some opportunities to use his speed, but that is asking a lot of this coaching staff. Orapko does look stronger though, I would have to say. Maybin needs 20 more pounds of muscle.

Buffalo and Washington both have some things in common: bad ownership and ineffective front office. As I have stated on a number of postings the owner sets the tone for the organization. When there is a lack of stability and constant churning of staff the product on the field is going to reflect the caliber of management.

Ralph Wilson is known to be a miser. Danny Snyder is known to be a spendthrift. But each of them "deliberately" has created an organizational structure which doesn't have a strong, competent GM to manage the football side of the organization. Each of these unsuccessful owners want to play with their toys instead of having professionals run the franchise. No one should be surprised with the outcomes. :thumbsup:

Buffalo and Washington both have some things in common: bad ownership and ineffective front office. As I have stated on a number of postings the owner sets the tone for the organization. When there is a lack of stability and constant churning of staff the product on the field is going to reflect the caliber of management.

Ralph Wilson is known to be a miser. Danny Snyder is known to be a spendthrift. But each of them "deliberately" has created an organizational structure which doesn't have a strong, competent GM to manage the football side of the organization. Each of these unsuccessful owners want to play with their toys instead of having professionals run the franchise. No one should be surprised with the outcomes. :ph34r:

Could not agree more - opposite sides of the same coin delivering the same result.

As a blue-and-white homer, I remain a Maybin fan ... but that's what I said when he decided to declare for the draft. Guess I can't argue with his decision; as the No. 11 pick, his signing bonus alone is more money than I'll see in my lifetime. That said, the Bills could have used a little more instant production from that draft slot, instead of someone who's essentially redshirting this season. Skipping all of training camp didn't exactly help, either.

Any ideas why he looked so great in the preseason though? Granted, it's the preseason, but he DID look effective against the Lions first team O-Line (granted...again...it's the Lions). But in general, he DID make plays, which is more than we can say so far this season.

Tim,

I lnow its early to talk draft but do you know if the Bills were one of the teams that sent scouts to that FSU-BYU game? And how do you think Max Hall would fare playing in Buffalo. And once again appreciate ya responding to our questions.

Tim,

I lnow its early to talk draft but do you know if the Bills were one of the teams that sent scouts to that FSU-BYU game? And how do you think Max Hall would fare playing in Buffalo. And once again appreciate ya responding to our questions.

Doesn't Hall have to go to a 2 year mission post graduation? I thought that was the case but I could be wrong. Hall is a solid player, under the radar for sure.

Tim,

I have no clue if the Bills had scouts at that game. I would need to see a press box seating chart from that stadium to know who was there. I'm not sure how well Max Hall would do, but BYU quarterbacks haven't fared well in the NFL lately. A lot of people like to point to them coming out of college more mature because of their mission work, but I also think that it helps them look better against college competition. Hall also is listed at 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds. That's mighty small for an NFL quarterback unless he can do something special with his legs.

Doesn't Hall have to go to a 2 year mission post graduation? I thought that was the case but I could be wrong. Hall is a solid player, under the radar for sure.

In looking up his size (I knew he was small but wanted to be precise) I noticed on his BYU bio that he did a mission in 2005, while sitting out after transferring from Arizona State. So he might have fulfilled his LDS obligation then.

I have no clue if the Bills had scouts at that game. I would need to see a press box seating chart from that stadium to know how was there. I'm not sure how well Max Hall would do, but BYU quarterbacks haven't fared well in the NFL lately. A lot of people like to point to them coming out of college more mature because of their mission work, but I also think that it helps them look better against college competition. Hall also is listed at 6-foot-1 and 200 pounds. That's mighty small for an NFL quarterback unless he can do something special with his legs.

Tim,

I agree with you that Hall doesnt have prototypical size for an NFL QB.Also he's not a scrambler but he's got good pocket awareness and the mobility to pick up a few yards if he needs to scramble.(And by a few yards I mean literally 2 or 3 lol.) I was wondering what you thought of his armstrength. Sorry I didn't clarify in the original post.

Tim,

I agree with you that Hall doesnt have prototypical size for an NFL QB.Also he's not a scrambler but he's got good pocket awareness and the mobility to pick up a few yards if he needs to scramble.(And by a few yards I mean literally 2 or 3 lol.) I was wondering what you thought of his armstrength. Sorry I didn't clarify in the original post.

Gotcha. From what I've seen he has a nice arm and is pretty smart. He's had good mentoring. Danny White is his uncle.

I usually don't like comparing QB's but he reminds me of a smarter more polished Romo.

I was thinking he looks a lot like Drew Brees did at Purdue......either way I'd love for the Bills to grab him in the 2nd or 3rd round. Love the guy as a QB.

Tim,

I don't know if you saw this, but on last night's Monday Night Countdown show, the crew talked about the Redskins' situation where the owner is blindly throwing money at the team and it's not helping. Keyshawn Johnson and Mike Ditka both brought up the point that the Redskins are making these decisions with their business guys and they don't have any "football" guys in the organization making the decisions on what players and coaches to bring on board.

Since I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't just substitute "Bills" for "Redskins" and "Ralph Wilson" for "Daniel Snyder", is there any talk or agreement amongst the experts out there that the Bills are in the same boat? If so, is there any speculation that changes need to be made starting at the top?

Tim,

I don't know if you saw this, but on last night's Monday Night Countdown show, the crew talked about the Redskins' situation where the owner is blindly throwing money at the team and it's not helping. Keyshawn Johnson and Mike Ditka both brought up the point that the Redskins are making these decisions with their business guys and they don't have any "football" guys in the organization making the decisions on what players and coaches to bring on board.

Since I couldn't help but wonder why they didn't just substitute "Bills" for "Redskins" and "Ralph Wilson" for "Daniel Snyder", is there any talk or agreement amongst the experts out there that the Bills are in the same boat? If so, is there any speculation that changes need to be made starting at the top?

I think that's a commonly held belief in the football community about the Bills, that they're simply not equipped to make the soundest football decisions because of their front office structure. The difference with the Redskins and the Bills is that the Redskins try to solve their problems by throwing money around like drunken Las Vegas tourists.

I think that's a commonly held belief in the football community about the Bills, that they're simply not equipped to make the soundest football decisions because of their front office structure. The difference with the Redskins and the Bills is that the Redskins try to solve their problems by throwing money around like drunken Las Vegas tourists.

You say that like its a bad thing.

Tim G, Pat Williams, London Fletcher and Jason Peters are three upper tier performing players who were let go because of contract considerations as opposed to performance considerations. The Bills are not the best in identifying quality players but when they do get it right they don't retain enough of them to compete against the more serious teams. That is an ownership issue more than anything else.

Over the past 10 yrs the Bills ranked 29 out 32 for wins in the NFL. Over the same peiod of time the owner has made around a quarter of a Billion $$$ (according to Forbes estimates). Don't you think the system is working well for the owner? Why would he want to change how he does business? :thumbsup: