Ask Tim Graham, version 2.0

Lori

Hey Tim.. I don't ask for much but is there any way you can do a story on Jairus Byrd? They mentioned some things when he was drafted about his relationship with Perry Fewell. I think with his impressive play as of late, it would be an interesting story.

Ask and you shall receive. I just filed a long story about him with quotes from his father and the guy who mentored him, Aeneas Williams. It should be posted to the blog within the next hour or so.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Tim-

How does Jairus Byrd get on the pro bowl ballet? He is currently not a choice on the ballet and he should be

Thanks

No, he shouldn't be on the ballot, but I understand the misconception.

The ballot is comprised of regular starters and was probably put together a few weeks ago. This happens in baseball every year, too, where guys with surprise seasons aren't on the ballot.

The Bills are represented at safety by Donte Whitner and Bryan Scott, considered their regular starters when the ballot was put together.

You'll have to write Byrd in.

Thanks, Lori.

I will be at Giants Stadium this weekend for the big rematch. I won't see the Bills for a while. I will be at Dolphins-Patriots in Week 9 and Patriots-Colts in Week 10.

Patriots twice in a row? So the haters were right all along! :worthy:

Kidding aside, you've already seen the Bills more than any of your other teams this season, haven't you? (Including the 6-3 instant classic against Cleveland. Lucky you.) That's the way it seems, anyway ...

Patriots twice in a row? So the haters were right all along! :worthy:

Kidding aside, you've already seen the Bills more than any of your other teams this season, haven't you? (Including the 6-3 instant classic against Cleveland. Lucky you.) That's the way it seems, anyway ...

Going through in my head, here's the number of times I've seen each team, not counting tomorrow ...

Bills: four times

Dolphins: three times

Jets: three times

Patriots: three times

I've seen five inter-divisional games, including the Saints twice.

Going through in my head, here's the number of times I've seen each team, not counting tomorrow ...

Tim, I have a question bout the wildcat offense that maybe you have been explained the answer to by a few coaches. It seems to me that they only run 3 plays off the wildcat and I guess I cant see what the hell is so hard to figure out. Either the Rb takes the snap fakes it to the tb and runs left or he hands it off to the tb and fakes the run himself. I havent seen a pass off of it yet but I am sure they have..How hard is it to stick a lb on the tb in case of a sweep and commit the rest to the straight rb run? It would seem to be an easy stop yet noone has figured it out yet..Just curious as what the opinions of the various coaching staffs as to the ability or inability to stop the Wildcat

You should get hazard pay for having to watch this franchise.

Tim, I have a question bout the wildcat offense that maybe you have been explained the answer to by a few coaches. It seems to me that they only run 3 plays off the wildcat and I guess I cant see what the hell is so hard to figure out. Either the Rb takes the snap fakes it to the tb and runs left or he hands it off to the tb and fakes the run himself. I havent seen a pass off of it yet but I am sure they have..How hard is it to stick a lb on the tb in case of a sweep and commit the rest to the straight rb run? It would seem to be an easy stop yet noone has figured it out yet..Just curious as what the opinions of the various coaching staffs as to the ability or inability to stop the Wildcat

There are myriad wrinkles to the Wildcat. While it might look like the same play, there are many variations. Sometimes it's a standard O-line, sometimes unbalanced. Sometimes the QB is split wide, sometimes not on the field at all. Sometimes Brown takes the snap, sometimes Williams. Then there are the plays Pat White is on the field. Those technically aren't from the Wildcat package, but it's a similar concept.

They pass out of it quite frequently, usually at least once a game. Brown, Williams, White, Henne ... Any of them can throw, and will.

There are so many reasons the Wildcat is effective, but the aspects I find trickiest are the precision and the uniqueness. Williams is almost in a full sprint when he goes in motion. The timing is so exact that when the direct snap goes to Brown, defenses have to freeze to see if Williams is going to get the ball and hit the corner at full speed. That's tough to stop when you're at a standstill. If not, then Williams might dive inside or roll out for a pass. That might sound simple from your couch, but it's a brain cramping two seconds for the defense. The second aspect is that the Dolphins run it so well, there's no way your scout team can replicate it in practice.

Gregg Williams and Rex Ryan seem like they figured it out the past two weeks, but the Dolphins have had new wrinkles that keep the Wildcat dangerous. People thought it was dead when the Patriots stopped it last year.