Who Is The Best QB Of All Since 1979- Inspired By The Brett Favre Thr

The Best QB Since 1979  

95 members have voted

1. 1. IMO, the best QB since 1979 is....

• Joe Montana
    • John Elway
    • Brett Favre
    • Peyton Manning
    • Tom Brady
    • Troy Aikman
    • Dan Marino
    • Steve Young
    • Other - Not Jim Kelly -Please Explain Choice.
  2. 2. Gibran Hamdan Should Be On The List And...

• It's a crime he isn't!
    • You must be stupid for not puttting him on the list
    • C'mon it's obvious why he shoulda been on the list. 'Nuff said

I tried to vote for Joe Montana but I kept getting an error. Not the biggest, not the strongest but he could read defenses and hurt you. He's another quarterback who tried to extend his career but when he went to KC is wasn't pretty. Brett FAvre is making a joke of himself. He was a talent when younger but now it is just pathetic to watch.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

McNabb didn't even know a regular season game can end in a tie. He is the modern day version of Randall Cunningham. Good, but not great.

Cunningham never elevated a team that had little to no talent at WR RB and TE to championship caliber. The one year he got deep into the playoffs he had Randy Moss, Chris Carter, and a pretty good o-line as well as a decent running game in Robert Smith.

Mcnabb had an average running game and no help at WR or TE as well as an o-line that was great at run blocking but just average at pass blocking and those teams knocked on the door of the superbowl for three seasons and than TO and Westbrook helped them breakdown that door and if it wasn't for TO breaking apart that team they would have at least had two to three more seasons of superbowl contention. And along with that and injuries is what probably cost him the Hall Of Fame unless he puts up another two to three year run of very good play even than he still might not make it.

Not saying Mcnabb was the best but he had four years that were a top ten to five stretch for any qb once again just worth a mention. Another note those years yielded four trips to the NFC championship game and a superbowl loss.

Another person that was left off this list was Flutie. He won 3 Grey Cups and was a 6 time MOP. Although his NFL success was limited as a professional, he needs to be considered.

i love flutie---but of course he is not in the same league with these guys

I tried to vote for Joe Montana but I kept getting an error. Not the biggest, not the strongest but he could read defenses and hurt you. He's another quarterback who tried to extend his career but when he went to KC is wasn't pretty. Brett FAvre is making a joke of himself. He was a talent when younger but now it is just pathetic to watch.

he did a GREAT job in KC..watchoo talkin bout Willis? playoffs and an AFC chmpionship game arent enough on a minorly talented team at age 37-38??

Let's face it, you couldn't go wrong with any of these guys. I voted for Elway, with Steve Young as my #2 guy, but I couldn't really argue with anyone who wanted to go with Montana. Joe cool is the kind of guy I would love to play for the Bills (efficient, consistent, smart), but during his heyday, I always found the west coast offense a kind of dull brand of football. I would be tempted to rate Tom Brady right up there, if it weren't for the whole spygate thing.

While Steve Young ran, essentially, the same offense, he added another layer of athleticism that Montana didn't have. When I am watching two teams play, and neither is the Bills, I want to be entertained. With the Bills, I will just settle for a boring win, if that is all I can get.

I said "other" because if I had a QB for one season, it would be Kurt Warner. His Superbowl winning year, he was the best quarterback I'd ever seen. He's led multiple teams to Superbowl appearences (a feat no other QB on this list has achieved) and who knows what he could've achieved had he been in the league longer.

The two late modern era quarterbacks not in the poll who have a place at the table are indeed Kurt Warner and Donovan McNabb. Warner played with Bruce, Holt, and Faulk and then had Fitzgerald, Boldin, James, and Breaston.

The best offensive skill weapons that McNabb had were Westbrook and Owens for a short while. To me, McNabb has done more with less than a lot of the QBs we've talked about. For the most part he's made his receivers better, not the other way around. And he and his team have played at a high level in his time there. It's too bad their season ended last year when Hank Baskett dropped that pass right in his hands.

I pick Montana as well. He was also one of the most clutch QB's I've ever seen on the field. If you were down by 1 score in the 4th, I'd take him at QB every day of the week. Over Elway, Marino, Kelly, Favre, Brady, or either Manning. :devil:

Linkage

Take the 1989 Super Bowl against the Cincinnati Bengals. The San Francisco 49ers were down by three points with 3:20 left when Montana spotted -- no, not an open receiver -- but a personality. "There, in the stands, standing near the exit ramp," Montana said to tackle Harris Barton. "Isn't that John Candy?" And then he led the 49ers 92 yards, throwing for the winning touchdown with 34 seconds left.

This was one of Montana's 31 fourth-quarters comeback in the NFL. 'Nuff said.

I live in New England where Brady is obviously idolized and I have to admit that he has done extremely well. Don't we have to at least wonder what effect it had that New England, going back to 2001 according to some reports, often had decoded the defense's signals. Therefore the play called by New England would have been designed against a defense it knew the defense was going to run. That is a huge advantage and I think in evaluating QBs Brady should not get off scott free as if it gave him no benefit that NE was able to cheat under Bellichek in this way.

:devil:

The two late modern era quarterbacks not in the poll who have a place at the table are indeed Kurt Warner and Donovan McNabb. Warner played with Bruce, Holt, and Faulk and then had Fitzgerald, Boldin, James, and Breaston.

The best offensive skill weapons that McNabb had were Westbrook and Owens for a short while. To me, McNabb has done more with less than a lot of the QBs we've talked about. For the most part he's made his receivers better, not the other way around. And he and his team have played at a high level in his time there. It's too bad their season ended last year when Hank Baskett dropped that pass right in his hands.

I have to take a PUNCH!! from the cat for leaving McNabb off.

My vote would have been for John Elway. He did a tremendous amount without a lot of talent (until the end of his career). The is why I am not voting for Joe Montana, He did a lot with a tremendous amount of talent surrounding him. No my Vote is for Tom Brady, he might be the hardest QB to beat that I have ever seen.

Joe Montana.

Best QB under pressure (Elway was a close second). Always felt

confident he could pull out the win in the end, calm, cool and collected.

Understood the intricacies of the offense like no one else, total student

of the game. His mechanics were second to none, smooth throwing motion,

great sense in the pocket.

Was not cocky at all, just went out and won.

Rice was drafted in '85, and Joe Montana already had two Super Bowl rings by then.

Yeah, I know but still 49ers QBs were greatly helped by an amazing offensive system. Obviously, Montana is a top 5 QB but I just think a guy like Elway did more with less.

Yeah, I know but still 49ers QBs were greatly helped by an amazing offensive system. Obviously, Montana is a top 5 QB but I just think a guy like Elway did more with less.

Aren't all QB's system QB's? The best offenses, IMO, are tailored around a QB's strengths and weakness'.

Aren't all QB's system QB's? The best offenses, IMO, are tailored around a QB's strengths and weakness'.

Again, Montana is really good but the fact that you could put any QB in the SF for a while and have great results, spoke to how good the system was. Elway was the system.

Not Factual- Drew is not a system QB as you can see in buffalo and Dallas but the proof is in the pudding- Brady went down and the team didn lose a beat with the QB who did not throw a pss since high school- That is a system QB sorry but thats a fact. The sytem was not built around him it was the system that Belicheat had installed but drew could not run becuase Drew was hard headed Brady/ Cassel and Montana are the Listening QBS they do what their coaches ask them to so purely system. Unlike Montana who did well in KC Brady would not do well on another team. Thats why Montana is listed higher than him on my list.

Didn't miss a beat? The lost 5 more games than they had lost in the previous year, didn't make the play offs and cassel threw 29 less TD's and 3 more interceptions than Brady with virtually the same team. How can you say that Brady wouldn't do well on another team? He's played with 3 different offensive coordinators. I'm sorry if you think Brady is a system QB you're an ABSOLUTE FOOL.

Didn't miss a beat? The lost 5 more games than they had lost in the previous year, didn't make the play offs and cassel threw 29 less TD's and 3 more interceptions than Brady with virtually the same team. How can you say that Brady wouldn't do well on another team? He's played with 3 different offensive coordinators. I'm sorry if you think Brady is a system QB you're an ABSOLUTE FOOL.

He*, like the rest of your "team," has an asterisk next to his records, unfortunately. Blame Belichick for that. And before you hop on how he shouldn't have an asterisk, consider the HBO Inside Sports story last spring in which an unnamed "former Patriots star offensive player" who played on some of those teams was quoted as saying "of course it helped us immensely--we knew exactly what the defense was going to do before they did it". I'm personally shocked that no one else ran with that story and I also personally guess that it may have been Antowain Smith or perhaps Deion Branch--clearly someone no longer with the team and a skll position player, since you don't typically call linemen "offensive stars."

I had to say Elway but could argue for Montana because of his leadership skills, and Marino for his physical ability and stats. IMO Elway is the perfect mix between the 2. I really suprised that no one has taken Aikman tho. I know he had such a great team, but the man did win 3 superbowls at the helm. Why are we touting Brady so much then? Isnt it the exact same scenario?

By the way, where is Warren Moon on this list?

Moon shouldn't be on the list. Everyone on this list led thier team to at least on Superbowl, I don't think Moon even ever won a postseason game did he. The choice is so easy, it has to be Montana. A great leader with 4-count them 4, Lombardi trophies (3 SB MVPS) to show for it.

QB's still playing would be Ben Rothelsberger. 2 superbowls 2 different coaches in 4 years. Still has 6-8 more years to win more.

Retired QB's would probably be Montana. You knew they were gonna win with him in there regardless of what the chances were suppossed to be.

Hey KRC, I appreciate the history lesson, but the designer of this post clearly intended for this to be a 1970's/80's to present coversation. How can anyone pretend to know who's better from era to era? Are you saying you're confindent that if Peyton Manning played in the 30's or 40's he wouldn't be as good as the greats from that era? Where's Y.A. Tittle on your list? Who's a better all-time goalie, Terry Sawchuck or Martin Brodeur? Baseball is the only sport where you can have an intelligent conversation comparing players from different eras. Out.

Terry Sawchuck was better. Send Brodeur out there without a mask and see how well he does! Hey, where is the smiley with stitches!