Who Is The Best QB Of All Since 1979- Inspired By The Brett Favre Thr

The Best QB Since 1979  

95 members have voted

1. 1. IMO, the best QB since 1979 is....

• Joe Montana
    • John Elway
    • Brett Favre
    • Peyton Manning
    • Tom Brady
    • Troy Aikman
    • Dan Marino
    • Steve Young
    • Other - Not Jim Kelly -Please Explain Choice.
  2. 2. Gibran Hamdan Should Be On The List And...

• It's a crime he isn't!
    • You must be stupid for not puttting him on the list
    • C'mon it's obvious why he shoulda been on the list. 'Nuff said

no way this is even remotely related to the best of all time. Unitas, Starr, Stabler, Namath and Tarkenton are in the running as least as much as most mentioned. The greatest list has to consider Graham, Baugh and Van Brocklin. These guys called their own game and plays, played in rough weather without near the equipment and under rules that worked against the qb. In the cases of the early guys...hell they defined the passing game. The linemen of each era were roughly the same size, and I'm pretty sure being hit by Dick Butkus in the 60's or Sam Huff in the 50's was as punishing as getting hit by Lawrence Taylor in the 90's.

Namath sucked.

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Montana:

He wasn't the fastest.

He didn't have the strongest arm.

He won two Super Bowls (XVI, XIX) with an average running game and average group of receivers (Jerry Rice was drafted in '85).

He helped usher in the modern West Coast Offense.

Survived a possible career-ending back injury in 1983, returning 1-2 months later and resumed playing at a high level.

He helped Marty Schottenheimer win a game in Denver when they were with the Chiefs (MNF, 1994?). Marty could never win there.

BONUS: He let Bruce Smith & Co. knock him out of the playoffs with a concussion (okay, that isn't a good point to support Montana).

When I see a player (on any team) wearing the number 16, I think of Ryan Leaf Joe Montana.

I said "other" because if I had a QB for one season, it would be Kurt Warner. His Superbowl winning year, he was the best quarterback I'd ever seen. He's led multiple teams to Superbowl appearences (a feat no other QB on this list has achieved) and who knows what he could've achieved had he been in the league longer.

I went back and changed it. Happy now?

My vote? This guy.

And if you don't want pre-1980 players included, don't you DARE call this the "best quarterback of all," because it's not.

Get over it.

Which is why both Lori and I stated that you cannot call this "Best of All" if you are limiting it to a small part of history. Hell, he made an exception, just to make sure Montana could be listed.

If Manning played in the other eras, he would be as good as he is now: Good but not the best. I base my opinions on watching game films and talking to the players who played with/against the quarterback.

Tittle would be top ten. Right now, I am undecided on who is number 5 on my list.

Other: Explain

Johnny Unitas. 'nuff 'splainin'.

Honorable mention: Sam Baugh

What a bunch of whiners. If you read the rules I said not before 1979. I'm sorry my wording wasn't perfect.

:wallbash: :wallbash: Jesus Christ on a cookie!!! I'm sorry!!! :worthy: :worthy: How about a simple post saying you need to change it to best QB since 1979, which I did.

Joe Montana :wallbash:

Wow, I see your point. Very well thought out post. :wallbash:

I disagree CHAMPIONSHIPS DO NOT DEFINE THE QB!!!!!!! The patriots have been SOLID in all three aspects of the team DEFENSE/OFFENSE and Special Teams You need all three to win and if you would like to be technical it was the FOOT of Adam Vinatarie (sp) that won the superbowls. THey havent won one with out Adam he could not pull of the same miracle he pulled off in the previous three.

Peyton is the BEST QB and will go down as the BEST QB when his career is over holding every record in passing, completions and TDS.

Don't forget the "tuck".

How about Ryan Longwell... he has a career passer rating of 158.3 :w00t:

Doesn't Marshawn have the same rating?

Stupidest maybe....

It's akin to running a poll asking who's the greatest WR ever and then listing TO, Larry Fitz and Marvin Harrison as options.

2009 - 15 = 1994. Which guy on your list retired prior to 1994? :wallbash:

:doh:

It's not retired its' drafted since 1979. :wallbash:

IMO, Steve Young is the best QB I have ever seen. He was as good a passer (short and long), clutch player, leader, intelligent, accurate, durable, and all of the other serious qualities you need in a great QB, but he was a better runner and scrambler than them all, which made him the best in my book.

Oui oui monsieur, the best of that lot.

To avoid arguing about guys from a way different time this only includes QB's since 1980. Montana is included because he was drafted in 1979, close enough to be on the list.

Jim Kelly is deliberately left off the list to avoid the homer vote.

Guys who are still playing can be used based on your projected final stats.

Please explain your vote.

Thank you.

You may now proceed

I picked Montana because he was the coolest QB under pressure. He was just so relaxed on the field. Probably the most confident QB without being cocky. JMO

And yet your retard-as-usual poll says "the greatest QB of all time is:" :wallbash:

How about your retard-as usual inability to read? :wallbash:

Poll title: "The Best QB ever"

Lead-in: "IMO, the greatest QB of all time is...."

Thread: fail.

All that was needed was a post saying you need to change the title. That's it. No jumping all over me for just making a mistake in the thread title. If you read the synopsis I said that it went back to 1979 and I didn't want to include older QB's to keep the argument about different eras out of the discussion. You preferred to make a mountain out of a molehill. 'Nuff said.

IMO, Steve Young is the best QB I have ever seen. He was as good a passer (short and long), clutch player, leader, intelligent, accurate, durable, and all of the other serious qualities you need in a great QB, but he was a better runner and scrambler than them all, which made him the best in my book.

It is all opinion, but I think that Elway had more pure talent than Young. Imo he was a clearly superior passer (especially deep throws) and was almost as good as a runner.

I did however once read where a defensive lineman (can't remember who) said that Young was more feared than Montana because he was just that great of a runner.

It is all opinion, but I think that Elway had more pure talent than Young. Imo he was a clearly superior passer (especially deep throws) and was almost as good as a runner.

I did however once read where a defensive lineman (can't remember who) said that Young was more feared than Montana because he was just that great of a runner.

Elway...I can't recount the times I yelled at the box, "He's past the LOS!!!!" :devil:

Except that he only got those rings AFTER Kelly and Marino retired. Make no mistake, you can't be the best of all time if you're not even the best of your class.

All 3 '83 QBs had great teams and coaching staffs around them, and as I recall, one QB triumphed over the others in head-to-head competition over and over and over...

So, I guess your point is that Marino and Kelly are/were better than Elway? I would say Jim had a much better supporting cast, offensively, than either Elway or Marino, while they were all active. I would also contend, that the teams Elway carried on his back to the Super Bowl (only to lose) were not as good as the 1990-93 Bills teams. I love Kelly as much as anyone, but I don't think many would buy your argument. As for the whole "head to head" thing, that is silly. Kelly and Elway didn't play head to head, they weren't even on the same field at the same time. The Bills pretty much owned the Dolphins, and did pretty well against the Broncos, in those days, but, IMO Kelly doesn't deserve all the praise for that. In the AFC Championship game against Denver, Kelly was miserable...you could say the Bills (as a team) won because they were better all the way around...not becuase one QB was better than the other.

You're right, there isn't a definitive answer or way to measure it. Elway is my #2. I think Young was a little more accurate but Elway was amazing, and a very good scrambler and runner, just not as good as Young.

I picked Montana because he was the coolest QB under pressure. He was just so relaxed on the field. Probably the most confident QB without being cocky. JMO

I pick Montana as well. He was also one of the most clutch QB's I've ever seen on the field. If you were down by 1 score in the 4th, I'd take him at QB every day of the week. Over Elway, Marino, Kelly, Favre, Brady, or either Manning. :devil:

1. Tom Brady

2. Joe Montana

3. Peyton Manning

4. Steve Young

5. Dan Marino

Anyone who puts Manning ahead of Brady is a bonehead. Two numbers: 3 and 1. And Brady's 3 were with half the talent. Not to mention Brady's 3 are WAY more impressive than Montana's 4. Listen, I hate Tom Brady more than anyone on here- google image "Tom Brady Stetson" if you need a reminder. But he is the greatest QB ever to lace up a pair of cleats.

I live in New England where Brady is obviously idolized and I have to admit that he has done extremely well. Don't we have to at least wonder what effect it had that New England, going back to 2001 according to some reports, often had decoded the defense's signals. Therefore the play called by New England would have been designed against a defense it knew the defense was going to run. That is a huge advantage and I think in evaluating QBs Brady should not get off scott free as if it gave him no benefit that NE was able to cheat under Bellichek in this way.

I think it's hands down Joe Montana.

But I think Terry Bradshaw should also be on the list. He did win 4 SB and he played up until 1983.

Tom Brady comes in second and I think Marino is a great name on the list. I think Marino was one of the most feared QBs of that time. He had a Joe Namath type quality about him.

I say John Elway and I don't really think it is that close. He played with some of the crappiest offensive "firepower" before his last 2 seasons and took Denver to 3 Super Bowls. No other QB would have if they switched positions with Elway. He did it all for that team and was just clutch.

I always could never vote for the 49ers QBs because they got to play with the greatest receiver ever. A lot of Qbs would have succeed throwing to Jerry Rice.

Rice was drafted in '85, and Joe Montana already had two Super Bowl rings by then.

no way this is even remotely related to the best of all time. Unitas, Starr, Stabler, Namath and Tarkenton are in the running as least as much as most mentioned. The greatest list has to consider Graham, Baugh and Van Brocklin. These guys called their own game and plays, played in rough weather without near the equipment and under rules that worked against the qb. In the cases of the early guys...hell they defined the passing game. The linemen of each era were roughly the same size, and I'm pretty sure being hit by Dick Butkus in the 60's or Sam Huff in the 50's was as punishing as getting hit by Lawrence Taylor in the 90's.

Van Brocklin was huge man and he could really throw the ball. He beat Vince Lombardi in a championship game and people almost never mention his name. Thank you for doing that.