3.Doug Flutie

4.Al Cowlings

5.Terrell Owens

6.Paul McGuire

7.Jim Kelly

8.Bruce Smith

9.Tom Flores

10.Ahmad Rashad

#1 isn't arguable....but after #5 its a crapshoot...

1. OJ

2.Jack Kemp

3.Doug Flutie

4.Al Cowlings

5.Terrell Owens

6.Paul McGuire

7.Jim Kelly

8.Bruce Smith

9.Tom Flores

10.Ahmad Rashad

Flutie and Owens ahead of Kelly, Smith, Reed, Thomas, Lofton, Talley, Bennett, Beebe, Hull, Tasker, and Conlan? :wallbash:

1. OJ

2.Jack Kemp

3.Doug Flutie

4.Al Cowlings

5.Terrell Owens

6.Paul McGuire

7.Jim Kelly

8.Bruce Smith

9.Tom Flores

10.Ahmad Rashad

Good list, but how did Tom Flores make the list, and ahead of Ahmad Rashad? If you mean "most famous" outside of the football world, I would go:

1- OJ Simpson

2- Ahmad Rashad

2- Jack Kemp

3- Dean Caine

4- Doug Flutie

5- Terrell Owens

6- Paul Maguire

7- Al Cowlings

8- Tom Demspey (everyone knows about the half footed kicker!)

9- Travis Henry

10- Chris Spielman

10a-Drew Bledose

11-Ko Simpson!

Good list, but how did Tom Flores make the list, and ahead of Ahmad Rashad? If you mean "most famous" outside of the football world, I would go:

1- OJ Simpson

2- Ahmad Rashad

3- Terrell Owens

4- Doug Flutie

5- Dean Caine

6- Paul Maguire

7- Tom Demspey (everyone knows about the half footed kicker!)

8- Travis Henry

9- Chris Spielman

10-Drew Bledose

11-Ko Simpson!

I think tragically we need to add Kevin Everett to the list, he was on Oprah, and shes huge, so is her show.

1. OJ

2.Jack Kemp

3.Doug Flutie

4.Al Cowlings

5.Terrell Owens

6.Paul McGuire

7.Jim Kelly

8.Bruce Smith

9.Tom Flores

10.Ahmad Rashad

Famous at the current moment? at thier peak? or all-time?

If more than 50% of the US population can name one congressman, 40% can remember that Kemp ran with Dole in '96, 30% can remember who the fvck Al Cowlings is, and 10% know what Flutie Flakes are I'd be very, very, surprised.

I like McGuire but he doesnt have the clout of a Madden, Michaels, Costas, or even Summerall in the booth to be more famous than a HOF QB.

I put Kelly #2 because at his peak Kelly was a pretty BIG deal. He was on guest star on General Hospital as a patient, gave Rob Schnieder an orgasm in an SNL skit, had a small role in the movie "Necessary Roughness" and he was the starting QB in the Superbowl 4 years in a row.

Obviously "General Hospital" And "SNL" aren't what they were in the early 90's, and unless you were the "Isotoner" or "L.A. Gear" pitchman, national ad campaigns weren't there like they are now. So to be in a movie and on national TV other than MNF was a a pretty big deal back then. I think he was as famous as a QB with no rings playing in a small market could get.

1. OJ

2.Jack Kemp

3.Doug Flutie

4.Al Cowlings

5.Terrell Owens

6.Paul McGuire

7.Jim Kelly

8.Bruce Smith

9.Tom Flores

10.Ahmad Rashad

This is a fun idea ...

I would move Rashad way up (maybe to No. 4) and drop Cowlings a few spots. I don't know how many people would recognize Al Cowlings if they saw him. People would know Rashad in New York City, Los Angeles or Chicago.

Tom Flores I can see. He was a Super Bowl-winning coach, known on both coasts.

As for the other list, I don't think you can count Dean Cain. He went to camp, but he's not an official Bills alumnus because he never made a regular-season roster.

What about Conrad Dobler? Monty Brown?

I put Kelly #2 because at his peak Kelly was a pretty BIG deal. He was on guest star on General Hospital as a patient, gave Rob Schnieder an orgasm in an SNL skit, had a small role in the movie "Necessary Roughness" and he was the starting QB in the Superbowl 4 years in a row.

Jack Kemp ran for president and was the 1996 vice presidential nominee. I don't think Kelly was ever that big.

This is a fun idea ...

I would move Rashad way up (maybe to No. 4) and drop Cowlings a few spots. I don't know how many people would recognize Al Cowlings if they saw him. People would know Rashad in New York City, Los Angeles or Chicago.

Tom Flores I can see. He was a Super Bowl-winning coach, known on both coasts.

As for the other list, I don't think you can count Dean Cain. He went to camp, but he's not an official Bills alumnus because he never made a regular-season roster.

What about Conrad Dobler? Monty Brown?

Yeah, I realize that. But, Tcali didn't really define his requirements. To my knowledge, Cain never officially made any NFL roster, but any time you read something about him, it refers to him as a "former NFL player", and he has represented the Buffalo Bills in some NFL celebrity events over the years.

Dobler is a good pick...he had numerous ad campaigns in his playing days... despite coaching a Super Bowl championship team, 30 years ago, I don't think Tom Lores is really a household name, outside the bay area.. hell, I bet Sam Wyche or Ed Rutkowski (regionally) would be more recognized.

1- OJ Simpson

2- Scott Norwood

3- Ahmad Rashad

4- Jack Kemp

5- Doug Flutie

6- Terrell Owens

7- Jim Kelly

8- Paul Maguire

9- Thurman Thomas

10-Bruce Smith

A case for Norwood being #1. When you tell some you're a Bills fan, do you hear OJ's name or Norwood's?

A few things;

1) If you can't spell the guys name, is he really that famous?

2) Bobby Moore? And people tell me I try to prove how smart I am

3) A few nominees I would think need being included

a) Ron McDole - significant member of the over the hill gang

b) Bubba Thornton - unfortunately made a name for himself as USA track coach

c) Lou Saban - NFL films put him on the map with the Whitey, your're killing me

That being said, in a country were less then 50% of the people know who their vice president is, I'd be surprised if more then 10% know anyone other then OJ and Jack Kemp Edit; forgot TO, but he still hasn't played for them.

1. OJ

2.Jack Kemp

3.Doug Flutie

4.Al Cowlings

5.Terrell Owens

6.Paul McGuire

7.Jim Kelly

8.Bruce Smith

9.Tom Flores

10.Ahmad Rashad

Tom Flores? I know who he is, but he was much more famous for winning two Superbowls with the Raiders, and still most of the country doesn't even know who he is. That is like saying that Marty Schottenheimer is one of the most famous Bills ever. If you are talking about famous with the general public and not with the sporting world, I would make a list something like this:

1. O.J.-Obvious Reasons

2. Al Cowlings-see #1-White Bronco

3. Jack Kemp-Political Reasons

4. Scott Norwood-Wide Right-Everyone watches the Superbowl

5. T.O.-Everyone knows a good As*hole

6. Jim Kelly-Even non sports fans watch the Superbowl/Also several appearances for Krabbe's-i.e. Oprah Show

7. Paul McGuire-Been announcing games forever it seems

8. Doug Flutie-Doesn't everyone like him?

9. Kevin Everett-He was all over the News and TV Shows a few years ago.

10. Thurman Thomas-Lost his helmet during the Super Bowl-the general public doesn't watch the game for the game, but for dumb things like this.

This is only a list based on the general public, if I was basing it on the sporting world, it would be all different except for #1.

Having given this a little bit of thought, from my perspective, here then are the top-10 Bills who will make the national wire most every time with a story about them. And yes, I'm humbly changing course and going with O.J. at the top.

I base this on name recognition, and whether someone in Alabama or New Mexico or Alaska (pick a state, I'm not deriding people living there, it's just that they're far removed from Buffalo) would be interested in these people.

OJ Simpson.

Terrell Owens.

Doug Flutie.

Bruce Smith (he's one up on Kelly because he's got the sack record.)

Jim Kelly.

Jack Kemp (that's a tough one, as unfortunately he is in the forefront of everyone's mind. but based on fame, he did make headlines on and off the field for more than four decades.)

Marv Levy.

Scott Norwood.

Kevin Everrett (will always be remembered as "that Bills player, who overcame paralysis.")

Ralph Wilson.

jw

wait until this season's over. t.o. will generate one story a day, starting day 1 of training camp through the start of next free agency. o.j. 11th.

jw

And if he doesn't, you guys will manufacture something... :wallbash::P

Having given this a little bit of thought, from my perspective, here then are the top-10 Bills who will make the national wire most every time with a story about them. And yes, I'm humbly changing course and going with O.J. at the top.

I base this on name recognition, and whether someone in Alabama or New Mexico or Alaska (pick a state, I'm not deriding people living there, it's just that they're far removed from Buffalo) would be interested in these people.

OJ Simpson.

Terrell Owens.

Doug Flutie.

Jim Kelly.

Jack Kemp (that's a tough one, as unfortunately he is in the forefront of everyone's mind. but based on fame, he did make headlines on and off the field for more than four decades.)

Marv Levy.

Scott Norwood.

Kevin Everrett (will always be remembered as "that Bills player, who overcame paralysis.")

Ralph Wilson.

jw

I like to measure it on the idea of how recognizable the person would be in, say, Des Moines.

But how about this measure for how well-known somebody is?

The number of papers around the country that would run his full-length obituary. That's a measure of how a person's life has resonated and made an impact in people's lives outside of the place where he played.

Scott Norwood would be a two-paragraph brief everywhere outside of Western New York.

I still have to go with O.J., Jack Kemp and Doug Flutie as clear Nos. 1, 2 and 3. Not even close in my mind. Doug Flutie has been a household name since the 1980s.

As for Al Cowlings being repeated on the list, he was involved in an infamous moment, but I think the White Bronco was the star of that scene. Few people even know what Cowlings looks like.

1. OJ

2.Jack Kemp

3.Doug Flutie

4.Al Cowlings

5.Terrell Owens

6.Paul McGuire

7.Jim Kelly

8.Bruce Smith

9.Tom Flores

10.Ahmad Rashad

I would argue that only OJ, Jack Kemp and maybe Flutie (more for his college play than for the Bills) have any real face or name recognition outside of NFL circles. If you separate the rest of your list from their NFL career or association with the NFl they have no star power.

I would argue that only OJ, Jack Kemp and maybe Flutie (more for his college play than for the Bills) have any real face or name recognition outside of NFL circles. If you separate the rest of your list from their NFL career or association with the NFl they have no star power.

I'd add Rashad to your list. He's probably more recognizable among NBA fans these days than NFL fans.

Have to agree about Cowlings, Tim. It's been long enough that if you say that name to most anyone outside Buffalo or L.A., you'd probably get a blank stare in response ...

"You know, the guy who drove O.J.'s Bronco in the chase."

"Oh, that guy."

Same with Norwood. A 10-second clip of the fateful kick, and cut to commercial while Bills fans around the country retch and everyone else shrugs.

More sports fans would recognize T.O. than Kemp, merely because the latter played in a league which ceased to exist 39 years ago. I'd like to think the general population would flip the other way -- "Old No. 15" DID run for President once upon a time, after all -- but I'm not sure I have that much confidence in my fellow Americans. That one might be close ...

And Rashad might be undersold here. He has a ton of TV time, including all those Michael Jordan testimonials interviews ...

1. O.J.

2. Jim Kelly

3. Jack Kemp

4. Scott Norwood

5. T.O.

6. Marv Levy

7. Doug Flutie

8. Chris Berman

9. Kevin Everett

10. Thurman Thomas

Tempted to add Ralph Wilson in here, as well as Paul McGuire.

1- OJ Simpson

2- Scott Norwood

3- Ahmad Rashad

4- Jack Kemp

5- Doug Flutie

6- Terrell Owens

7- Jim Kelly

8- Paul Maguire

9- Thurman Thomas

10-Bruce Smith

A case for Norwood being #1. When you tell some you're a Bills fan, do you hear OJ's name or Norwood's?

good call on Norwood:)

OJ Simpson.

Terrell Owens.

Doug Flutie.

Jim Kelly.

Marv Levy.

Scott Norwood.

Ralph Wilson.

jw

I think this is the closest so far, and I dont think people outside of Buffalo even realize how big a story and celebrity TO is, regardless of the reasons.

OJ is one for sure, because there are ten million old ladies that know who OJ is.

TO is #2, almost for sure, IMO.

Jack Kemp could be #3 because he was a VP candidate and was exposed to both the political world and the pro football world.

I think Flutie unfortunately more than Kelly who is probably more than Bruce but it's close for all three.

Anyone else is way down the line except for maybe Thurman.

1. George Washington.

2. Thomas Jefferson

3. Abraham Lincoln

4. Alexander Hamilton

5. Andrew Jackson

6. Ulysses Grant

7. Benjamin Franklin

8. OJ Simpson

9. Jim Kelly

10. Marv Levy

Really think these are the only Bills most people in the NFL care about, I would go as far to say most people outside the NFL care about these more than any of the other Bills as well. 8-10 are arguable to even be on the list quite honestly.

Yeah after OJ and Jack it was tough...

I like to measure it on the idea of how recognizable the person would be in, say, Des Moines.

The number of papers around the country that would run his full-length obituary. That's a measure of how a person's life has resonated and made an impact in people's lives outside of the place where he played.

Scott Norwood would be a two-paragraph brief everywhere outside of Western New York.

I still have to go with O.J., Jack Kemp and Doug Flutie as clear Nos. 1, 2 and 3. Not even close in my mind. Doug Flutie has been a household name since the 1980s.

As for Al Cowlings being repeated on the list, he was involved in an infamous moment, but I think the White Bronco was the star of that scene. Few people even know what Cowlings looks like.

I put AL on the list as a bit of a gag.--Don't rule out TO for future greatness, however. He is extremely well known domestically and he has 'international incident' potential.

The obit angle's a good one, too. I like that. I'll stick with T.O. as my number 2, though a case could be made for Kemp, considering all the play he's getting following his passing. And you're right about Cowlings. I was in Vancouver at the time, and I didn't know Cowlings was a former Bill, nor did I care. The Bronco was the centerpiece.

jw

1. Bill Shakespeare

2. Bill Murray

3. Bill Derlago

4. Will Bill (from Unforgiven)

5. Bill Cosby

6. Billy Jack Haynes

7. Billy Bob Thornton

8. Prince Bill

9. Bill from NYC

10. Bill Brooks

bonus Bill