Jairus Byrd had a sick senior year in high school

I know everyone in the NFL was good in High School, so it doesn't mean much, but this made me laugh:

"At Clayton High School, to merely hint that the Missouri 4A Offensive Player of the Year played a large role in leading the Greyhounds to the 2004 state championship would be a gross understatement. He willed the school to a 13-1 ledger as a quarterback, safety, wide receiver and on special teams to aid the march to the Suburban East Conference title.

"Byrd ranked fourth in the state in scoring (158 points), as he rushed for 1,480 yards (seventh in the state) while averaging 8.76 yards per carry and scoring 26 touchdowns his senior season. In addition, he passed for another 1,038 yards (65-128) and 13 scores.

"On defense, Byrd was afforded first-team All-State accolades as his team's second-leading tackler, posting 71 stops (60 solos) along with seven interceptions (fifth in the state), three sacks and two fumble recoveries. He completed his "total package" with six catches for 125 yards (20.8 avg), 10 kickoff returns (30.1 avg), 15 returned punts (13.3 avg), in addition to punting the football 18 times for a 37.6-yard clip."

nfl.com profile

The punting is my favorite part. He can join Dick Jauron in the All-World High School Hall of Fame.

Will he start for the Bills is about my only question.

Clearly he'll start on defense (safety), offense (qb and rb), and special teams (punter).

We can probably go with a roster of only 20 or 30 guys this year as long as one of them is Byrd. Should save some money. Maybe the Bills will lower ticket prices. The Byrd effect.

What are you worried about?

Clearly he'll start on defense (safety), offense (qb and rb), and special teams (punter).

We can probably go with a roster of only 20 or 30 guys this year as long as one of them is Byrd. Should save some money. Maybe the Bill will lower ticket prices. The Byrd effect.

Sounds like Byrd is the word.

May be a better option in nickel and dime packages than Drayton Florence. This guy looks like a gamer.

How about a starter that plays every down as a Free Safety and moves Whitner to his more natural Strong Safety position. I have a feeling Byrd will have alot of picks while roaming in the backfeild.

I know everyone in the NFL was good in High School, so it doesn't mean much, but this made me laugh:

"At Clayton High School, to merely hint that the Missouri 4A Offensive Player of the Year played a large role in leading the Greyhounds to the 2004 state championship would be a gross understatement. He willed the school to a 13-1 ledger as a quarterback, safety, wide receiver and on special teams to aid the march to the Suburban East Conference title.

"Byrd ranked fourth in the state in scoring (158 points), as he rushed for 1,480 yards (seventh in the state) while averaging 8.76 yards per carry and scoring 26 touchdowns his senior season. In addition, he passed for another 1,038 yards (65-128) and 13 scores.

"On defense, Byrd was afforded first-team All-State accolades as his team's second-leading tackler, posting 71 stops (60 solos) along with seven interceptions (fifth in the state), three sacks and two fumble recoveries. He completed his "total package" with six catches for 125 yards (20.8 avg), 10 kickoff returns (30.1 avg), 15 returned punts (13.3 avg), in addition to punting the football 18 times for a 37.6-yard clip."

nfl.com profile

The punting is my favorite part. He can join Dick Jauron in the All-World High School Hall of Fame.

this guy is a football player..unlike the many phoneys the Bills have drafted the past 10 yrs...no wonder he made plays..he has the football instincts...screw the 40 time nonsense

nfl.com profile

it means a lot--most nfl players do not have this overall football ability

i think after last seasons debacle of cornerback injuries, the bills learned their lesson on keeping that position a little better stocked

True that. Although I think we've got the best deep cornerback crew of any Bills team that I can remember. I'm not sure about the best top two (Winfield & Clements were pretty nice) although I hope McKelvin grows up to elite status this year.

I really like

McGee

McKelvin

Youboty (I watched this guy struggle for so long but last year I was stunned by his performance. I hope he can stay healthy)

Corner

Drayton - Who knows, he may flourish now that he's back inside. May get cut.

I don't expect much out of the rookies, but maybe someone sticks.

We can probably go with a roster of only 20 or 30 guys this year as long as one of them is Byrd. Should save some money. Maybe the Bills will lower ticket prices. The Byrd effect.

Now I completely understand the pick :thumbsup:

True that. Although I think we've got the best deep cornerback crew of any Bills team that I can remember. I'm not sure about the best top two (Winfield & Clements were pretty nice) although I hope McKelvin grows up to elite status this year.

I really like

McGee

McKelvin

Youboty (I watched this guy struggle for so long but last year I was stunned by his performance. I hope he can stay healthy)

Corner

Drayton - Who knows, he may flourish now that he's back inside. May get cut.

I don't expect much out of the rookies, but maybe someone sticks.

Based on his resume´I don't see how you cannot like Mr. Byrd. I just saw where many of the experts had him ranked as the number 2 CB in the draft... since speed is apparently his only shortcoming, the Bills have moved him to FS where he is free to use his natural ballhawking skills.

Tell you the truth, I'll be surprised if he's not a starter by midseason and who knows, maybe right off the bat!

nfl.com profile

:thumbsup:

Good stuff!

Guys a true football player.

I have a hunch that he will be able to transition to the FS spot quite smoothly.