Trent Edwards

Virgil

If thats really what you mean by this thread, then take the 300 yards junk out of the title.

I later clarified that we typically associate a dominant offense with the 300 yard pass, 100 yard rush bench marks. Same way we do with 1,000 yard rushing and receiving seasons. It's about 6 responses down from the original. Also, we have all seen those games where, for whatever reason, neither defense shows up and both teams fall into a shootout. I wonder how Trent or our OC fairs in these situations.

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow. Thanks for that one. If you don't think it's a good conversation to discuss if Trent or our OC has the ability to take full advantage of all our offensive weapons, then why are you posting on this at all?

It's like a horrible car wreck, Virgil. As hard as I try, sometimes the power of extreme stupidity draws me in, in an attempt to straighten things out.

I should know better, by now.

The question of whether the OC has the ability to take full advantage of the talent on the team, is valid, and has been discussed many times, in various threads.

Whether Edwards has it in him to pass for 300 yards is simply a side-show discussion for the weak minded.

I'm so sick of everyone saying Edwards needs to significantly improve. Last year was his first full year, and he had an 85 QB rating. Watch highlights. The dude was pretty good. He'll be even better.

Edwards is just another way for negative Bills haters to bash one more thing that isn't wrong.

I have watched them, but not just the "higlights", they tend to be a bit on the biased side. You need to look at the low lights too. Like the Cleveland game.

This is the year we are most likely going to learn whether he is the guy or whether we need to look for another QB. Everyone likes him, everyone liked JP too. But he has to get it done on the field.

Agred about this being his make or break year. But how many QBs prove without a doubt that they are franchise guys in their 2nd season out of college?

We knew Kelly was the guy pretty much by half time of his first start if I recall. Jeeeezus I miss that guy.

We knew Kelly was the guy pretty much by half time of his first start if I recall. Jeeeezus I miss that guy.

I was pretty sure Kelly was our guy watching him play in the USFL.

Aint that the truth. With all the build up and hype surrounding Jimbo, all he did in his first game as a Bill was deliver on all the hype. Everyone who was at that game or saw it on TV knew he was going to be something special for a long time to come.

Don't get me wrong by comparing JK to TE. There is no comparison considering JK did have a couple years to learn in the USFL besides playing in an NFL offense at UM. TE, though playing in a pro-style offense at Stanford, didn't really have the luxury of learning the way JK did. Though, after the first two years, this would pretty much be the make or break point.

I'm so sick of everyone saying Edwards needs to significantly improve. Last year was his first full year, and he had an 85 QB rating. Watch highlights. The dude was pretty good. He'll be even better.

Edwards is just another way for negative Bills haters to bash one more thing that isn't wrong.

I get why people are optimistic on him and also not sold on him...but come on Pozfan, this is the most ludicrus post on this thread.

You clearly dont know enough about football if your only leg to stand on is the 85 QB rating.

What about these:

Divisonal games for Trent:

Mia: 67.2 rating, 227 yards, 0 TD, 2 turnovers

NYJ: 79.3 rating, 289 yards, 1 TD, 3 turnovers

NE: 49.2 rating, 120 yards, 1 TD, 2 turnovers

NE: 70.1 rating, 128 yards, 0 TD, 1 turnover

That is 2 TD's and 8 turnovers in the four divisional games with no game over an 80 rating...we went 0-6 in the division...we cant make the playoffs when your QB plays this bad in the division, and JP was just as bad.

So, you dont think he needs to improve?

What about these games:

Cle: 50.3 rating, 148 yards, 1 TD, 3 turnovers

SF: (one half only, but it wasnt good) 64.0 rating, 47.6 comp %, 112 yards, no TD or turnovers

Even the 2 wins against Oak and Stl he had only a 80 rating with only 2 total TD's and 3 turnovers...

Do you even realize that he only had only 6 games over a 85 rating and 8 games significantly UNDER that rating?

So, please, how on earth can you say he does not need to improve? One more year like that and he will be replaced in 2010.

So, if you want to be optimistic about his IMPROVEMENT, fine, but enough with the ludricrus statements like he is already "pretty good" and doesnt need to improve because that is clearly just absurd to say...

I get why people are optimistic on him and also not sold on him...but come on Pozfan, this is the most ludicrus post on this thread.

You clearly dont know enough about football if your only leg to stand on is the 85 QB rating.

What about these:

Divisonal games for Trent:

Mia: 67.2 rating, 227 yards, 0 TD, 2 turnovers

NYJ: 79.3 rating, 289 yards, 1 TD, 3 turnovers

NE: 49.2 rating, 120 yards, 1 TD, 2 turnovers

NE: 70.1 rating, 128 yards, 0 TD, 1 turnover

That is 2 TD's and 8 turnovers in the four divisional games with no game over an 80 rating...we went 0-6 in the division...we cant make the playoffs when your QB plays this bad in the division, and JP was just as bad.

So, you dont think he needs to improve?

What about these games:

Cle: 50.3 rating, 148 yards, 1 TD, 3 turnovers

SF: (one half only, but it wasnt good) 64.0 rating, 47.6 comp %, 112 yards, no TD or turnovers

Even the 2 wins against Oak and Stl he had only a 80 rating with only 2 total TD's and 3 turnovers...

Do you even realize that he only had only 6 games over a 85 rating and 8 games significantly UNDER that rating?

So, please, how on earth can you say he does not need to improve? One more year like that and he will be replaced in 2010.

So, if you want to be optimistic about his IMPROVEMENT, fine, but enough with the ludricrus statements like he is already "pretty good" and doesnt need to improve because that is clearly just absurd to say...

Oh God!

and the crusade continues

I don't care how many yards he gets. What I want to see is Edwards driving the team down the field and getting in the endzone either by run or pass when we get in the red zone.

I want to see him get the ball down field to Evans and Owens or whomever and make the other team pay for playing us too close.

I want to see him stand in and make plays rather than dump the ball off the half second too quick that he does now.

Instead of deciding who he is going to throw to by the way the defense lines up (the way he does it now), I want to see him actually read the defenses and get the ball to his second and third receivers like Reed and Parrish and Nelson when the go to guys aren't open instead of giving up on the play too early.

I want to see him take some chances down the field with the athletic players we have even if they are incomplete so the other team doesn't creep up and dare us to throw.

I want to see him be smart about taking hits and avoid them when he doesn't need to take them.

I want to see him spread the ball around as much as he can and not concentrate on one guy like Owens.

I want to see him mature as a leader and not be such a PC nice guy about everything, even if he has to get in Shonert or Evans or Owens or the lineman's face.

I want to see him make plays and win games when he has off days and crappy stats.

Perfect :)

Aint that the truth. With all the build up and hype surrounding Jimbo, all he did in his first game as a Bill was deliver on all the hype. Everyone who was at that game or saw it on TV knew he was going to be something special for a long time to come.

Don't get me wrong by comparing JK to TE. There is no comparison considering JK did have a couple years to learn in the USFL besides playing in an NFL offense at UM. TE, though playing in a pro-style offense at Stanford, didn't really have the luxury of learning the way JK did. Though, after the first two years, this would pretty much be the make or break point.

JK didn't have a noodle arm and didn't get hurt every 5 minutes. Edwards sucks

I guess you guys missed the whole point of me saying any QB coming straight from college. Kelly was 26 in his first season with the Bills. Edwards has played 2 NFL seasons and is 25. 2 years of starting experience of pro football would help any young Qb immensely transition from college to the pros. Kelly was eased into the fire. Edwards was thrown head first.

And for all the talk of no one ever questioning Kelly, I say a lot "Bull Shet." If the internet existed then, it would have melted down with people hating on Jimbo. He went 4-12 in his first season and was sacked 43 times. In his 3rd season, he threw 15 tds and 17 ints in 16 games. Yet somehow, the Bills went 12-4. You really are giving a lot of credit to fans to think they wouldn't be screaming for Reich. Fans were screaming for Flutie to get replaced after a better season for the immortal RJ. Fans are completely irrational. http://www.pro-football-reference.com/players/K/KellJi00.htm

Here's the thing about the internet and sports media. It is a double edge sword. It makes the league a lot of money and viable but it also puts an insane amount of pressure to win now. Fans and teams don't have the patience to let young players develop. Everything considered, Edwards has played pretty well for any QB that has played two years STRAIGHT FROM COLLEGE. :)

It's NOT about Yards or YPA it's ALL ABOUT TD's.

I hope you mean offensive team tds. Because rating a QB by tds passes is stupid. Because only 6 times in his 16 year NFL career did John Elway (IMO the greatest QB ever) passed for 20+ tds. and that included 3 times in 4 years with Mike Shanahan, who is steroids for QB stats.

Edwards doesn't need to throw for more yards, he needs to throw more TDs and win more games(which in his case means not losing them single handedly).

The Bills need to run the ball better and control the clock when we need and to finish drives. The defense should be more stronger this year and that should also help.

I have watched them, but not just the "higlights", they tend to be a bit on the biased side. You need to look at the low lights too. Like the Cleveland game.

This is the year we are most likely going to learn whether he is the guy or whether we need to look for another QB. Everyone likes him, everyone liked JP too. But he has to get it done on the field.

Everyone did NOT like JP. JP didn't have a season half as good as Trent. I hated JP from day 1, and continue to hate him now, and forever.

OK.... you deserve the multiple bars of soap in the pillow case treatment for this thread and that kind of thinking. BTW, that sort of reasoning is why we went with Rob Johnson instead of Flutie 10 years ago. I never really had a problem with 200 yds passing 1 or 2 TD's and a win. It's about wins, losses and being a leader. Judge him on those things this year. This other garbage is all about the fantasy football generation. Also, have you ever figured that the Bills have had drive starts that are better than the norm b/c of ST and they don't have to go as far to score.