Trent Edwards

Virgil

• Replies 161
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not to push the issue but is 10 years really longevity?

Sure is. Most don't get to have that kind of run... Amongst the good QB's of his era, Kelly was one of the least likely to throw a "300 yard game". If you include playoffs which was a significant part of his career he threw for 300 like once out of every 6 or 7 games. The Bills were at their best when he threw for between 200 and 250 for many reasons as some here have explained. And I am not comparing the two guys, but merely refuting the point that 300 yards means anything at all. Again, for passing, YPA is the number to check. Also TD to Int ratio. What we should really be wondering is if Trent will become a good , smart team leader who will use his personal football skills help win more games than he loses.

thats true--show me a 300 yard throwing day and i'll show you the QB of the losing team...

...with some very notable exceptions, of course. But, it is unlikely the Bills are going to be one of those exceptions, IMO.

Wins are important this year, touchdowns are important, not Edward's total yardage.

...with some very notable exceptions, of course. But, it is unlikely the Bills are going to be one of those exceptions, IMO.

Wins are important this year, touchdowns are important, not Edward's total yardage.

Well he hasnt thrown many TD's yet or got us many wins either...so NO 300 yard games, few TD's, more turnovers than TD's in fact, and not enough wins...

You guys arent making a very good case for him...lmao...

thats true--show me a 300 yard throwing day and i'll show you the QB of the losing team

Im calling your bluff...show me, because thats ludricrus...Kurt Warner has a lot of them and a heck of a lot in his super bowl years and you can add Manning, Brady, Farve, and McNabb all to that list amongst others. Sure, they may be exceptions where a QB like Cutler goes off but the defense gives up 45 points and they still lose, but a 300 yard QB is a very good thing and I am sure it equals more wins than losses...

In other words, all the top QB's are likely to throw for 300 yards on any given day, and I would be willing to bet that they win a lot more than they lose when they have thrown for 300 yards...

No offense inteded, but it sure sounds like you just pulled that out of your ass with that one to help soften the blow in the TE discussion becuase he has only one 300 yard game since High School, yes, High School...just one...and none in the NFL...

FYI: During that span since High School of only one 300 yard game, Trent has a losing record and nearly half his games have been under 200 yards in the pros...

Here is a way more accurate statement...you show me a QB who throws for under 200 yards and I will show you the QB of the LOSING team...

Fair enough. That top 20 is more about his longevity than anything though. He really wasn't considered a "300 yd QB" in the normal sense that it is thought of. A typical Kelly game was like 18-28 for 220 yds and a TD or maybe 2. especially in the victories. My point still stands IMO but good lookup .

For about three years there, I think he would have been considered one of those guys...

In Bledsoe's 1st year with us, Both Moulds and Price had 1,200 over yards receiving each with a combined 19 TD's. Travis Henry had over 1,400 rushing. So, with having 2 capable WR's this season, I can see this benefitting our offense big time.

This isn't meant as a jab at Edwards, because I think his arm is more than adequate, but it is not in the legue with Bledsoe in his prime. That year (2002) Bledsoe made throws that only elite QB's can make, a pretty consistent basis. I am not sure Trent, or the Bills offensive game planners, are going to show us anything like that. Ironically, though, in your comparison, Owens would be playing the Peerless Price role!

32 to 48 pass TDs per season. That would be impressive!

I'd be happy with a continuous 250 passing ypg and 150 rushing ypg.

What good did it do Brady and Moss with 400 passing ypg ?

NADA. When they got to the big game it was all for naught.

They got away from a balanced game and it cost them.

In recent years not once has the team leading the leaguer in Passing Stats won a SB.

Hopefully, we never have to find out if Edwards is a 300-yards/game guy.

BINGO!

I'd much rather we be a consistent 150 yard rushing team and a 200 yard passing team. We do that, we are winning WAY more than losing. Especially in the November/December weather. Nobody throws for 300 yards at the Ralph in high winds. NOBODY. NEVER. EVER>

With few exceptions, QBs who always throw for 300 yards are doing so by having to play catchup more often than not.

GO BILLS!!!

Well he hasnt thrown many TD's yet or got us many wins either...so NO 300 yard games, few TD's, more turnovers than TD's in fact, and not enough wins...

You guys arent making a very good case for him...lmao...

Are we supposed to making a case for Trent? I thought we were responding to a dumbass post about his ability to throw for 300 yards, as if that is something important in the NFL.

I try to be a realist about Trent, the way I would be about any QB for the Bills. When the coaches start calling a competent game, and the QB fails to execute that plan at a competent level, then I will judge the Bills' QB harshly. Until then, we really don't know what we have. We know some of his strengths and weaknesses, but QBs with greater weaknesses have been successful in the NFL, in the past.

I'm still amused you think we should take a thread this stupid seriously.

guys, have you bothered to look at who we play this year? Jets will completely shut the offense down as they did last year. Jenkins will crush hangartner. Pats will completely shut the offense down, when and if the bills offense are even on the field while Brady & Co. and running up the score. Same with Indy, same with N.O.. same with Carolina.. this is going to be a nightmare of a season. DJ fired by mid season. bet on it.

guys, have you bothered to look at who we play this year? Jets will completely shut the offense down as they did last year. Jenkins will crush hangartner. Pats will completely shut the offense down, when and if the bills offense are even on the field while Brady & Co. and running up the score. Same with Indy, same with N.O.. same with Carolina.. this is going to be a nightmare of a season. DJ fired by mid season. bet on it.

You shouldn't even bother to watch the games, as you already know their outcome.

considering the mediocre talent we have had on offense and defense, I'm happy with his progression, and I expect it to continue next year. Hopefully the Line will hold up this year, which I hate to say, I have my doubts. I think we have had a nice infusion of talent added to the team this year, but if you look at the projected starting lineup, NOT ONE PLAYER on the O Line is going to play the same position they did last year. Cohesion is a very important ingredient in having a successful O Line. I think what the Bills game plan on Offense is to have a lot of max protection with TE's and RB's to give more time to get the ball to guys like T.O, Evans and Reed. If they give him at least average protection, then my guess is that it will translate to better production.

considering the mediocre talent we have had on offense and defense, I'm happy with his progression, and I expect it to continue next year. Hopefully the Line will hold up this year, which I hate to say, I have my doubts. I think we have had a nice infusion of talent added to the team this year, but if you look at the projected starting lineup, NOT ONE PLAYER on the O Line is going to play the same position they did last year. Cohesion is a very important ingredient in having a successful O Line. I think what the Bills game plan on Offense is to have a lot of max protection with TE's and RB's to give more time to get the ball to guys like T.O, Evans and Reed. If they give him at least average protection, then my guess is that it will translate to better production.

Trent had average, or better, protection last year. He also had plenty of talent around him...if it were properly used by the OC. Now, this year he looks to have even more talent, and a better interior on the OL. As you note, hopefully they meld well, and quickly.

I think the real question is, do the coaches get in the way again, or do they play to the strengths of the offensive players?

Nope. Not when you've added 900+ lbs. of talent to the interior line. Don't care if they're rookies at the G positions. Easiest OL position for a rookie to come in and dominate. Now the Pats' D is still cream of the crop in the East as far as I'm concerned but they can be run on (see F Jackson, last game of year, when they KNEW he was gonna run) and I expect we'll do it again. Despite the fiascos in the Miami/Jets games last year, we were in position to win all those games even with our inability to control the D middle. We will surprise this year.

GO BILLS!!!

Trent had average, or better, protection last year. He also had plenty of talent around him...if it were properly used by the OC. Now, this year he looks to have even more talent, and a better interior on the OL. As you note, hopefully they meld well, and quickly.

I think the real question is, do the coaches get in the way again, or do they play to the strengths of the offensive players?

I don't think he did have plenty of talent around him at all. Josh Reed is a below average #2 WR, and teams were able to effectively focus their defense on shutting out Evans, and Royal was below average and we also got poor play from LT and Interior O Line last year.

This year on the other hand should be different. T.O changes the whole scope of things and teams won't be able to double down on Evans, and this should also make Reed much more effective. Even though Reed is a below average #2 WR, I believe as a slot Receiver he is above average. Plus we should be able to use Nelson our new TE on situational pass plays, and this should give a boost to our TE production.

What worries me most as I mentioned earlier is our O-Line. I like the potential talent we have, but the unfamiliarity they have with one another worries me. Doesn't matter what kind of weapons you have at the skill positions if you can't block.

can he throw for 300 yards? yeah, i'm pretty sure he can. i don't think edwards can beat teams if buffalo is forced into a pass-only situation.. but i don't see why he couldn't eventually have that ability.

I don't think he did have plenty of talent around him at all. Josh Reed is a below average #2 WR, and teams were able to effectively focus their defense on shutting out Evans, and Royal was below average and we also got poor play from LT and Interior O Line last year.

This year on the other hand should be different. T.O changes the whole scope of things and teams won't be able to double down on Evans, and this should also make Reed much more effective. Even though Reed is a below average #2 WR, I believe as a slot Receiver he is above average. Plus we should be able to use Nelson our new TE on situational pass plays, and this should give a boost to our TE production.

What worries me most as I mentioned earlier is our O-Line. I like the potential talent we have, but the unfamiliarity they have with one another worries me. Doesn't matter what kind of weapons you have at the skill positions if you can't block.

Would you agree with this:

Good musicians + bad conductor = crappy music?

Good car + crappy driver = bad race?

As has been pointed out time after time after time, if the triumvirate of Dickie the J, Snert and Fewell do NOT improve their performance from last year, in terms of coaching, play calling, flexibility and clock management, then it is unlikely that the results will be any different than last year.

Period.