MAYBIN VS FREENEY

Those aren't even close. Also, Freeney ran a 4.38 at the Combine.

What did Bruce Smith run the 40 in? I'd be surprised if Bruce Smith ran sub 4.9. We all know how nasty Bruce was. Bruce ate QB's up. Speed is not the only variable when it comes to sacking a QB. As a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if any of the top 3 NFL all time sack leaders ran sub 4.8.

And a 4.38/40 is faster than 95% of the WR/RB/DB's in the NFL. That number is either made up, or Freeney is playing the wrong position.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Maybin ran a 4.58 on his pro day workout. The reason why he ran slow at the combine is because he had just added the weight and his body hadn't readjusted by then. By his workout he ran what everyone expected him to run, and that was a blazing 40 for his size. Not only that, he posted a 40.5 inch vertical, which shows that he has TREMENDOUS burst.

The guy has got the tools and work ethic to make it big at the next level.

Obviously we won't know until he sees some action in the preseason, but I have been thinking about these questions regarding Maybin...

-Is his best position OLB in the 3-4 and if so, do the Bills consider a switch when(not if) Dick is fired after this season?

-If it turns out that he cannot defense the run and ends up being a situational pass rusher who can get 8 sacks per season, did the Bills blow the #11 pick overall?

-How much weight can he put on without losing his greatest asset which is his quickness? They say he is around 250 now. I would like to believe that considering he is 6'4" that he could go up to 260 without losing the speed, but hoping the extra bulk would allow him to defend the run better and become a 3 down player.

A 4.38 is as fast if not faster than most WR/RB in the league, are you sure he ran that fast?

Of course Freeney never ran that fast. If he really weighed 266 pounds, and ran a 4.38 40, the steroid juice would have been streaming out of his ass as he crossed the 40 yard finish line!! :lol:

Listen, I watched Freeney play for Syracuse, and of course we all have seen him in the NFL. I can only wish Maybin becomes that good!

What did Bruce Smith run the 40 in? I'd be surprised if Bruce Smith ran sub 4.9.

Bruce was a tub of goo as a rookie, so I suspect it wasn't anything blazing. He didn't become the sculpted guy we all know until his second or third year...

What did Bruce Smith run the 40 in? I'd be surprised if Bruce Smith ran sub 4.9. We all know how nasty Bruce was. Bruce ate QB's up. Speed is not the only variable when it comes to sacking a QB. As a matter of fact, I'd be surprised if any of the top 3 NFL all time sack leaders ran sub 4.8.

And a 4.38/40 is faster than 95% of the WR/RB/DB's in the NFL. That number is either made up, or Freeney is playing the wrong position.

Bruce Smith ran the 40 yard dash in....wait a minute. Bruce never ran the 40 yard dash, did he? He was the obvious considered the finest DE coming out of college, and the number one pick by the Bills in the entire '85 draft. In fact, he very rarely showed up for an entire training camp after his second or third season in the NFL. We can ask him how important he felt having a good time in the 40 was for his career after he makes his Hall of Fame acceptance speech in Canton in a few months.

Screw the "measureables." If Maybin just comes in and plays in obvious passing situations, and gets 6 or 7 sacks and a bunch of QB hurries, he will be more then worth the #11 pick in this draft!

Maybin's supposed strength is the first step. Not to make a comparison as Maybin has proven nothing on an NFL field yet but Bruce was also known for his quickness off the ball. Maybin has upside, arguably a risky pick because he was a one year wonder. If he adds good weight and retains his speed he could be an animal for the Bills. Only time will tell.

There are two types of muscle fibers - fast twitch and slow twitch. Slow twitch muscle is beneficial to distance runners. They fatigue slowly and are better for distance runners (CBs) and WRs who are striding down the field all the time.

Fast twitch muscles are what DTs and DEs need to get off the ball quick. They are best for short bursts of speed.

DEs and DTs use fast twitch muscles.

Info on muscle types.

Basically, I'm trying to say that bench press, 40 time and other crap mean ASS when it comes to evaluating a player. It is all about muscle type, and how your body works on the field when you have yourself loaded with equipment.

Could someone (INTELLIGENTLY) explain the need for a 40 time for a defensive lineman? I understand quickness is important - but top speed is less so. I'm genuinely curious - so if you actually know, help? Thanks

The 40 really isnt the true test.....the 10 and the 20 are.....even the 3 cone and shuttle show more.

DE's play in close quarters

There are two types of muscle fibers - fast twitch and slow twitch. Slow twitch muscle is beneficial to distance runners. They fatigue slowly and are better for distance runners (CBs) and WRs who are striding down the field all the time.

Fast twitch muscles are what DTs and DEs need to get off the ball quick. They are best for short bursts of speed.

DEs and DTs use fast twitch muscles.

Info on muscle types.

Basically, I'm trying to say that bench press, 40 time and other crap mean ASS when it comes to evaluating a player. It is all about muscle type, and how your body works on the field when you have yourself loaded with equipment.

Although it is true that someone with long arms might not due as well as someone with shorter arms.....

The reason why this is not a true test of how good a DE can be is Maybin uses his long arms as an asset.....keeping OT's off of his body so he can go to work....the shorter the arms are the harder it is to stay out of a OL's grasp.

In regards to DE's 40 time, Brian Billick had a great interview in which he stated how irrelevant the 40 time is. He said how they were ecstatic when Terrell Suggs fell to them because he ran a 4.89 forty time but on tape he was faster than anyone getting around the Tackles.

Wasn't Shawn Merriman a DE coming out of college, he's got an explosive 1st step, what was his 40 time, wait, it don't matter, if Maybin can be :rolleyes: even 85% of what Merriman is, it'll be awesome, the QB isn't 40 yards away, so sick em' Aaron!!!

Maybin ran the 10 yard split in 1.55 seconds which is "great" according to yahoo sports. It was first among DTs.

20-yard Shuttle:

Name Time

Barwin, Connor 4.18

Campbell, Ian 4.28

Johnson, Michael 4.37

Maybin, Aaron 4.38

English, Larry 4.38

Egboh, Pannel 4.40

Butler, Victor 4.40

Brown, Cody 4.40

Walker, Derek 4.41

Sidbury Jr., Lawrence 4.43

Davis, Will 4.45

Veikune, David 4.46

Moore, Kyle 4.47

Kruger, Paul 4.47

Potter, Zach 4.48

Williams, Brandon 4.49

Ayers, Robert 4.51

Baker, Chris 4.51

Brown, Everette 4.53

Hood, Evander 4.55

Magee, Alex 4.55

Gilbert, Jarron 4.56

Evans, Maurice 4.57

Sulak, Stryker 4.58

Wynn, Jarius 4.58

Jamison, Tim 4.60

Martin, Orion 4.63

Raji, B.J. 4.69

Mitchell, Khalif 4.71

Grady, Adrian 4.72

Irvin, Corvey 4.73

Miller, Roy 4.74

Pryor, Myron 4.75

Bolden, Demonte' 4.78

Knighton, Terrance 4.78

Jackson, Tyson 4.80

Scott, Dorell 4.84

Harris, Ra'Shon 4.87

Shaughnessy, Matt 4.88

Taylor, Terrance 5.06

Brace, Ron 8.15

The short shuttle is the first of the cone drills. It is known as the 5-10-5. What it tests is the athlete's lateral quickness and explosion in short areas. The athlete starts in the three-point stance, explodse out 5 yards to his right, touches the line, goes back 10 yards to his left, left hand touches the line, pivot, and he turns 5 more yards and finishes.

A 4.38 is as fast if not faster than most WR/RB in the league, are you sure he ran that fast?

There is NO WAY he ran 4.38. That is what Lee Evans runs.......

I'm sorry, Freeny may be fast, but he is not nearly as fast as Evans.