MAYBIN VS FREENEY

I also hope that we go DE again next year.....not because I dont love Maybin but because we need to start thinking about life post schrobel......

I think we really set up the interior of our line and RT for the future in this draft......

Absolutely, I definitely think that DE should be a priority again next year.

As of right now, depending on how well or poorly our tackles play, DE, LB, LT (maybe), and DT seem to be our most pressing needs.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What I want to know is this:

WTF does a 40 yard dash matter for a lineman on either side of the ball as long as he has a quick first step? I'm not a huge fan of the Maybin pick, but can someone please show me ANY scenario where it takes 40 yards to sack a quarterback?

A good 40 time means you're fast. You don't need to be fast to get to the QB, you need to be quick. That is all.

Besides, as a lot of people have pointed out, as a DE the 20 YD speed is the biggie... quickness is key, and it's said that Maybin gets outta the blocks faster than any lineman in the draft.

He better not get squared up in the sights of an NFL OT or a pulling guard unless he likes to fly through the air with the greatest of ease.

If he speed-rushed me a couple of times, it wouldn't be long until I sent him a 600 lb. greeting card.

As of right now, depending on how well or poorly our tackles play, DE, LB, LT (maybe), and DT seem to be our most pressing needs.

yea thats what my first 4 rounds are for next year also..my last 4 picks are just for depth.. got bored after the draft was done and decided to do a 2010 mock draft in my sig..LOL..

We need to address DT next year. We've had to put it off the last couple of years because there was still some lingering hope that McCargo would pan out and because Williams isn't an embarrassment, but we've got to find a DT to put next to Stroud who can penetrate and be disruptive. The defense we play absolutely requires it.

We need to address DT next year. We've had to put it off the last couple of years because there was still some lingering hope that McCargo would pan out and because Williams isn't an embarrassment, but we've got to find a DT to put next to Stroud who can penetrate and be disruptive. The defense we play absolutely requires it.

yup yup or see my sig. that would help

Why does everybody think that running at Aaron Maybin will be as easy as sending a huge mammoth OT after him to squash him?

Doesn't anybody know anything about line play?....:blink:

A player like Aaron Maybin isnt going to just stand there and let someone who outweighs him by 50 plus pounds piledrive him into the ground while he tries to anchor against him.....that OL is going to have to be very careful not to overextend and allow Aaron to use his long arms, technique, and quickness to swim right around him and make the play........

When you see a DL get pancaked it usually happened because of two reasons.....

a. They tried to match power on power.....and LOST

b. They didnt see the hit coming because their attention was somewhere else

Aaron Mabin looks to me like he has excellent field awareness.......that is why you dont see him squaring up on a OT when he is playing run you see him taking "half a man" or hitting the outside shoulder of the offensive linemen.......this allows him to keep his body free and be able to move laterally if the runner bounces to the outside......

If the runner goes INSIDE that is why you have linebackers who scrape down the line and make tackles....it is the linebackers responsibility to make inside run tackles.

That is why whoever plays behind Aaron at LB better be able to play the run well

I know some compared Arron Maybin to Dwight Freeney already, physically anyway.

look at his college career. played 2 years at Penn St- Aaron Maybin: The guys started 12 games last season and had 12 sacks

He had 2 sacks against Coastal Carolina and 2 against Temple where the scores were 45-3 and 45-14 ,sound like garbage sacks against gimp teams...Coastal Carolina :w00t:

YEAR TEAM TACK SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD

2007 PSU 12 8 4 0 4 0 0 0 0 0

2008 PSU 49 30 19 0 12 1 0 0 0 0

Dwight Freeney:played 4 years with 51 game starts, Freeney had 17.5 sacks in his SENIOR year over 12 games

The guy was a stud at Syracuse

Year Team G GS Tackles TFL Sacks Forced Fumbles

1998 SYR 10 1 3 2 0 2

1999 SYR 10 2 19 5 3.5 1

2000 SYR 7 7 32 18 13 3

2001 SYR 12 12 50 26 17.5 8

Tot. SYR 39 22 104 51 34 14

This is almost a joke in comparing Maybin to Freeney, and the Joke is on Buffalo because Maybin couldn't play the run in college and he won't fair any better in the NFL against much bigger faster players.He was stoned over and over by TE's against the run.He has no moves and once a tackle got his hands on him it was over. How many millions does he get for playing only on third down? Talk about a project, I honestly don't get the hype over a first step if he can't do anything but try and out run the tackle. Smaller,faster tackles and good TE's will nullify his rush.

I'm happy for all you Bills fans that think Maybin was the right choice over other DE's and a OT, I'm more of a realist and not so happy with the pick when the Bills could have taken Orakpo, Ayers or Oher with that #11...time will tell :blink:

was it to hard to put this into the maybin vs. freeney thread right below this thread?..oh well...I guess some ppl just feel they won't get any attention unless they start new topics.

:w00t:

Not only that, I guess the Big East is a lot tougher of a football conference than the Big Ten :rolleyes:

oh and BTW, Maybin produced those sacks as a redshirt Sophmore. I wonder how many more sacks he would of gotten if had stayed all four years like Freeney?

yeah, maybin may not have many moves at this point.

jevon kearse in his rookie year didn't have any moves, either.

i dunno what maybin is going to do, but even him being one-dimensional will be okay if that one dimension is running around the offensive tackle.

I know some compared Arron Maybin to Dwight Freeney already, physically anyway.

look at his college career. played 2 years at Penn St- Aaron Maybin: The guys started 12 games last season and had 12 sacks

He had 2 sacks against Coastal Carolina and 2 against Temple where the scores were 45-3 and 45-14 ,sound like garbage sacks against gimp teams...Coastal Carolina :lol:

YEAR TEAM TACK SOLO AST PD SACK FF REC INT YDS TD

2007 PSU 12 8 4 0 4 0 0 0 0 0

2008 PSU 49 30 19 0 12 1 0 0 0 0

Dwight Freeney:played 4 years with 51 game starts, Freeney had 17.5 sacks in his SENIOR year over 12 games

The guy was a stud at Syracuse

Year Team G GS Tackles TFL Sacks Forced Fumbles

1998 SYR 10 1 3 2 0 2

1999 SYR 10 2 19 5 3.5 1

2000 SYR 7 7 32 18 13 3

2001 SYR 12 12 50 26 17.5 8

Tot. SYR 39 22 104 51 34 14

This is almost a joke in comparing Maybin to Freeney, and the Joke is on Buffalo because Maybin couldn't play the run in college and he won't fair any better in the NFL against much bigger faster players.He was stoned over and over by TE's against the run.He has no moves and once a tackle got his hands on him it was over. How many millions does he get for playing only on third down? Talk about a project, I honestly don't get the hype over a first step if he can't do anything but try and out run the tackle. Smaller,faster tackles and good TE's will nullify his rush.

I'm happy for all you Bills fans that think Maybin was the right choice over other DE's and a OT, I'm more of a realist and not so happy with the pick when the Bills could have taken Orakpo, Ayers or Oher with that #11...time will tell :rolleyes:

So you're point is that it is completely unrealistic to compare Maybin to Freeney, yet Maybin had 16 sacks in 2 season while Freeney had 3.5??? :w00t: Because it doesn't make any sense.

Freeney is a very bad running defender too (see the Colts' Super Bowl year where they had one of the worst run defenses in history) but Polian thinks enough of his ability as a pss rusher to have made him the highest paid defensive player in history. If Maybin becomes a double digit sack guy, it was a good pick.

Thank you. Comparing Maybin to Freeney was retarded. There is none. Freeney is superior... period

Maybin is a gamble. A one year wonder with a lot of potential. It's a High risk, high reward pick...if he pans out. IMO, his best chance for success is at OLB in a 3-4.

Penn State alums haven't fared well in the pros lately.... Brian Scott is no prize, Lavar Arrington was personna non grata after only 2 seasons with the Skins, Jimmy Kennedy has proved to be a career journeyman. And the last two gems to come into the NFL, Poz and Conner, have been, quite frankely, disappointing. I can go on and on ... Kijana Carter... the other RB just a few years ago, the QB turned RB in San Fran, etc. Penn State seems to be churning out bust after bust lately, or so it seems.

Bills can't afford for Maybin to maintain that trend. He'll either break it or keep the trend going

Thank you. Comparing Maybin to Freeney was retarded. There is none. Freeney is superior... period

Maybin is a gamble. A one year wonder with a lot of potential. It's a High risk, high reward pick...if he pans out. IMO, his best chance for success is at OLB in a 3-4.

Penn State alums haven't fared well in the pros lately.... Brian Scott is no prize, Lavar Arrington was personna non grata after only 2 seasons with the Skins, Jimmy Kennedy has proved to be a career journeyman. And the last two gems to come into the NFL, Poz and Conner, have been, quite frankely, disappointing. I can go on and on ... Kijana Carter... the other RB just a few years ago, the QB turned RB in San Fran, etc. Penn State seems to be churning out bust after bust lately, or so it seems.

Bills can't afford for Maybin to maintain that trend. He'll either break it or keep the trend going

Thank you Captain Obvious!

So you're point is that it is completely unrealistic to compare Maybin to Freeney, yet Maybin had 16 sacks in 2 season while Freeney had 3.5??? :rolleyes: Because it doesn't make any sense.

Freeney is a very bad running defender too (see the Colts' Super Bowl year where they had one of the worst run defenses in history) but Polian thinks enough of his ability as a pss rusher to have made him the highest paid defensive player in history. If Maybin becomes a double digit sack guy, it was a good pick.

It figures you would look at the stats posted and only see what you want to see, it is no wonder it makes no sense to you, let me clarify it some.

The first two years Freeney played he only started 3 games, in all four years he started 22 games out of 39 and had 34 sacks.

The last two years of his playing he 13 sacks in 7 starts in 2000, and 17.5 in 12 starts in 2001

Freeney is not a bad run defender,it is the Tampa2 defense that is weak against the run and only performed better once Bob Sanders returned from his injury. Another reason I dislike the Tampa 2 and the undersized players it utilizes to work it.

If Maybin has double digit sacks anytime soon,yea it was a "great" pick.

Looking at how little Maybin has actually played and the garbage sacks he acquired against poor teams tells me he has more chance to be a total bust then boom. I only hope I'm wrong as I want him to succeed and want to see him kill Tom Brady. My fear is that the bills will get an opponent 3rd and 5 and put Maybin in the game and the opposing team runs right at him for big gains.