I cant believe the negativity of this board

What a bunch of complainers!

Did you guys know that over half of the 6th and 7th rounders that ever get drafted don't make it in the NFL?

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe the Bills were looking for one solid CB to make the team? So odds are that if they drafted 2 LATE ROUND picks, that maybe one of them may make the squad.

Byrd is going to be a safety!

Nic Harris is going to be a LB!

The other 2 Late rounders will battle it out to make the team, and most likely one of them will make it.

All your complaining from a lot of you is SICKENING!! It's contagious, and now the rest of the goof balls come out of the wood works to complain about it as well.

You guys are too much ;)

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

What a bunch of complainers!

Did you guys know that over half of the 6th and 7th rounders that ever get drafted don't make it in the NFL?

Did it ever cross your mind that maybe the Bills were looking for one solid CB to make the team? So odds are that if they drafted 2 LATE ROUND picks, that maybe one of them may make the squad.

Byrd is going to be a safety!

Nic Harris is going to be a LB!

The other 2 Late rounders will battle it out to make the team, and most likely one of them will make it.

All your complaining from a lot of you is SICKENING!! It's contagious, and now the rest of the goof balls come out of the wood works to complain about it as well.

You guys are too much ;)

Well the great and powerful Oz has spoken...OK simon kill this thread! :lol:

Possibly DE, LG, possibly RG, TE, FS, possibly OLB.

Lot of "ifs" there, but I feel really good about both O-linemen and Nelson, who I think becomes the Bills' best TE as soon as he signs his contract. Still not a big Tampa 2 fan, but if N. Harris can send Ellison to the bench, that's all right, too.

Safety ... we'll see. Personally, I thought they were all right with Scott and Whitner, and maybe with adding more than one piece to the pass rush. They're counting on Schobel's foot being 100 percent, I think. Hope they're correct about that.

Still, the offense is divided up into 11 players in 8 basic positions (QB, 2RB, FB, 2WR, TE, 2OT, 2OG, C). The defense is usually divided up into 11 players in 6 basic positions (2DE, 2DT, 2OLB, 1 MLB, 2CB, 2S).

That's one way to look at it.

Another way is to divide it up into 11 different positons, but dividing up DEs into LDE and RDE or right CB and left CB are distinctions that are never made.

A third way, and perhaps the most common way, is to divide up the offense into QBs, Backs, TEs, WRs, and OL. That's 11 guys in 5 positions, and again, probably the way they are looked at the most. The defense is divided up this way as DL, LBs and DBs.

People often talk about teams as their line or their linebackers or their secondary. So it's very legitimate to complain we drafted 4 DBs out of 8 players, the same way it would be easy to complain we spent 4 on one position like LBs or DL when there are so many more needs. If you're going to use too many picks on any one area, it should probably be either of the lines, not either of the backfields.

Big hole in your theory. Base D is only run about 50% of the time, the rest of the time it is a nickel, dime or some hybrid using at least 5 DBs.

You do realize that run stopping is not the primary responsibility of a DE...ok, now I am convinced no one reads post...they just pick our words and make their own story up...

I said for DE's they are not bad against the run...I did not say we were a devastating run D as a unit

although, we were top 3 in run D unitl injuries hit our Defense last year and one of the last teams to allow a 100 yard rusher if memory serves me...

Don't be an idiot, stopping the run is the responsibility of ALL 11 DEFENDERS. Maybin, Shoebel, Denny, and Kelsey don't get a freakin' play off when the opposing team hands the ball off.

The Eagles, Titans, Steelers, Patriots, and Ravens are examples of teams who have DEs who help stop the run.

And what injury hurt the Bills ability to stop the run last season?

The problem is that the Bills FO lacks the will to bring in players to stop the run. Choosing Whitner over Ngata a couple years ago is one example of this. Refusing to draft any players with run stopping ability in this draft was another. Wasting half of their draft picks on DBs in this draft without spending even one on a DT is a final straw, in my opinon.

As a long time Bills fan, I view the current Jauron/Brandon era as one that needs to be endured, because under their stewardship the Bills will be unable to do the most fundamental things to win in the NFL.

The reason many are upset is because the bills got a few players that fit the profile of past players that have failed or been ineffective. They drafted a small OLB who reminds fans of Ellison or Coy Wire. The Glut of late round DB's and the Byrd pick gets people upset because it feels like they are investing too much into their secondary and not enough into positions that have been ignored for some time.

Simply put the Defense did get two big holes filled and the O-line picked up a starter or two and depth as well as a possible tight end. But the defense still looks a bit on the small side and has Ellison penciled in as a starter. I think people are taking late round picks way too seriously. sixth and seventh round picks are not a reflection of a teams analysis of needs. At that point in the draft you just take who you feel is the best talent. DJ is a secondary guy so his talent evaluation for late rounders will probably skew that way.

They also got guys who were good special teams guys, April tells Juron hey that DB you were looking at he is also a good Special teams player so Juron uses that as the tie breaker in choosing a player at another position.

Lot of "ifs" there, but I feel really good about both O-linemen and Nelson, who I think becomes the Bills' best TE as soon as he signs his contract. Still not a big Tampa 2 fan, but if N. Harris can send Ellison to the bench, that's all right, too.

Safety ... we'll see. Personally, I thought they were all right with Scott and Whitner, and maybe with adding more than one piece to the pass rush. They're counting on Schobel's foot being 100 percent, I think. Hope they're correct about that.

Lots of "ifs" in any draft, but the point is that the Bills got some highly rated prospects at positions of need. That's the only thing you can grade them on at this point. I don't think it's a stretch to say that these players will replace the crap they were intended to replace.

The "74" in your handle must be your IQ!!

We have several very fine candidates for LT in Bell, Butler, and Walker.... one of them WILL stand out!

The LB position is our weakest position on the team, IMO, but I suppose every team has one. We have Ellison, who probably is not quite as weak as you think, who will be challenged by Lehman, an injured from last year Marcus Buggs, and an interesting pick this year in Nic Harris. Options, anyway! (FAgency?)

And OL playing the same position as last year? Who cares? With the exception of LT we're much all around stronger than last year and far deeper.

This team is much improved from last year... only 2 questions in my mind; can we jell in time, and for once can we avoid the injury bug!!!???!!! :thumbsup:

You are so ignorant it's comical.

Thanx for taking time out of your busy drivel to jump on <_< Read back in my posts, if you can, I was right! F'n new guys ...I will be right on this draft also. I recognize talent you do not braindeadstroke :thumbsup:

There is only one loser on this board who thinks that you know anything whatsoever about talent and that's Duh Duh Duh Big Man!

He was recruited to be a FS in college, and is too slow to play CB... while he shows the very same skill set that makes Ed Reed a great FS. This all goes right over your head, right? Even Bill Belichick drafted Brandon Merriweather (CB) to play safety. So please, don't act like you know what you are talking about.

I repeat, if he were faster, he would play CB in the pros. I do know a bit about him, yes. I'm a Pac 10 fan and I watch a lot of football and read a lot. And while he is a "ball hawk" because he makes a lot of INTs, and has very good instincts, he doesn't at all play like Ed Reed.

Big hole in your theory. Base D is only run about 50% of the time, the rest of the time it is a nickel, dime or some hybrid using at least 5 DBs.

True. But all it does is lessen the LBs by one, the same way on offense it lessens a back by one and adds a WR (for the most part, as sometimes it is two). It makes a team carry an extra WR and an extra CB compared to the other positions that have two starters but doesn't at all change the post or concept that you shouldn't spend too many picks on the secondary or at WR or at any of the other groupings when you have holes everywhere. And especially when you have five to eight players at the same position ahead of them on the depth chart. Again, either of the two CBs was probably a good choice. Two straight of the same thing, when we already picked another CB turned safety and SS turned LB was too much.

I repeat, if he were faster, he would play CB in the pros. I do know a bit about him, yes. I'm a Pac 10 fan and I watch a lot of football and read a lot. And while he is a "ball hawk" because he makes a lot of INTs, and has very good instincts, he doesn't at all play like Ed Reed.

Really?

Byrd: 6-0 210 4.6 speed

Reed: 5-11 200 4.6 speed

Both were highly productive (Ints PDs)

Both take good angles to the football

Both read the QB well

Both tackle in the run game well

Both have great instincts

Both have good route recognition

Both have great hands

Both have great anticipation

Shall i go on?

There are some differences, but they are very similar players. Byrd played FS in high school and it's his natural position.

I love all this "depth" we have at CB.

Greer left

Youboty blows

Corner was a 7th last year.

McGee is on the last year of his contract.

Both our safetys were arrested in the off season.

OK, let's stand pat.

Didn't watch the games last year? Corner was a 4th round pick.

Guest dog14787
Again, I hope not ,but it is looking that way. I want this team to win and all we really added was T.O. , we needed other FA additions on O line and the D line. Experience over intuition. :thumbsup:

I like what TE's can do for a offense and you must admit Shawn Nelson is an intriguing prospect. Nelson posted some good numbers in College despite being double teamed most of the time. If he can beef up a little and get up to speed quick he might make an impact early on in for the Buffalo Bills.

The draft wasn't all that bad now that I'm over my initial reaction for passing on Pettigrew. Many people are talking about how well the Buffalo Bills did and that Maybin may be the guy that put us over the top.

I'm OK with 5 of the picks, the last two, I'm not so sure.

I like what TE's can do for a offense and you must admit Shawn Nelson is an intriguing prospect. Nelson posted some good numbers in College despite being double teamed most of the time. If he can beef up a little and get up to speed quick he might make an impact early on in for the Buffalo Bills.

The draft wasn't all that bad now that I'm over my initial reaction for passing on Pettigrew. Many people are talking about how well the Buffalo Bills did and that Maybin may be the guy that put us over the top.

I'm OK with 5 of the picks, the last two, I'm not so sure.

The last 2 are for special teams anyhow

Really?

Byrd: 6-0 210 4.6 speed

Reed: 5-11 200 4.6 speed

Both were highly productive (Ints PDs)

Both take good angles to the football

Both read the QB well

Both tackle in the run game well

Both have great instincts

Both have good route recognition

Both have great hands

Both have great anticipation

Shall i go on?

There are some differences, but they are very similar players. Byrd played FS in high school and it's his natural position.

Both have two feet too. Is that a similarity? Byrd does not play nearly as explosively as Reed. I'm talking about watching their games on the field. Byrd is pretty good when the ball is in the air and takes good angles but he usually reads and reacts. Reed anticipates way more, IMO. Byrd doesn't usually jump plays or take chances or cover space anything like Reed does. He's also shorter and stockier (he's 5'10" not 6').

True. But all it does is lessen the LBs by one, the same way on offense it lessens a back by one and adds a WR (for the most part, as sometimes it is two). It makes a team carry an extra WR and an extra CB compared to the other positions that have two starters but doesn't at all change the post or concept that you shouldn't spend too many picks on the secondary or at WR or at any of the other groupings when you have holes everywhere. And especially when you have five to eight players at the same position ahead of them on the depth chart. Again, either of the two CBs was probably a good choice. Two straight of the same thing, when we already picked another CB turned safety and SS turned LB was too much.

Good point. I'll counter with three.

1. These are late round draft picks. If you are drafting for need late in the draft, your season is already over. You draft whoever you have graded out the best.

2. When you play in the same division as Tom Brady, you can never have enough quality depth at DB.

3. I'd bet cold hard cash one of the later picks was Bobby April's.

Both have two feet too. Is that a similarity? Byrd does not play nearly as explosively as Reed. I'm talking about watching their games on the field. Byrd is pretty good when the ball is in the air and takes good angles but he usually reads and reacts. Reed anticipates way more, IMO. Byrd doesn't usually jump plays or take chances or cover space anything like Reed does. He's also shorter and stockier (he's 5'10" not 6').

I like the signing of Jarius Byrd! Just about every draft geek thinks that he is a true football player, with a real nose for the ball. Great pick!

Good point. I'll counter with three.

1. These are late round draft picks. If you are drafting for need late in the draft, your season is already over. You draft whoever you have graded out the best.

2. When you play in the same division as Tom Brady, you can never have enough quality depth at DB.

3. I'd bet cold hard cash one of the later picks was Bobby April's.

Then take him. Not two of him. To me our best special teamers are not necessarily CBs (excluding returners) they are just as often LBs and WRs.

ESPN says he's 6-0. Again, there are differences, with the major difference being that Byrd doesn't gamble as much as Ed Reed. They are actually remarkably similar in certain aspects of their games. I haven't seen a DB with Byrd's ball skills since maybe Ed Reed.

I like the signing of Jarius Byrd! Just about every draft geek thinks that he is a true football player, with a real nose for the ball. Great pick!

I like the pick, too, and really like Byrd's potential. If he becomes a ball hawk in the pros and is the playmaker he was in college in the pros, it will help us a ton. It doesn't necessarily transfer although it may. He seems like a tremendous kid, too.

You do realize that we have an abundance of CBs, making it possibly our most depthed position (thanks to the addition of Florence), right?

Considering you need to play 3cbs against the pats pretty much the whole game, I don't see a problem with that.

what did he say?

he Buffalo Bills traded Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters a week before the draft and didn't select a tackle.

You can look at this three ways: 1) the Bills are confident veteran Langston Walker and second-year project Demetrius Bell can handle the tackle positions; 2) they might be working on a trade for someone Levi Jones after the Cincinnati Bengals drafted Andre Smith; or 3) Buffalo's front office doesn't know what it's doing.

Buffalo went with Penn State defensive end Aaron Maybin, Louisville center Eric Wood, Oregon defensive back Jairus Byrd, Oregon State guard Andy Levitre, Southern Miss tight end Shawn Nelson, Oklahoma linebacker/safety Nic Harris, Southern California cornerback Cary Harris and West Virginia cornerback Ellis Lankster.

Maybin and Wood can easily be justified as first-round choices. But the Bills are adding a variable to Wood's future by moving him to guard after he started 49 straight games as Louisville's center.

What's with all the defensive backs?

The Bills seemed to have their secondary penciled out heading into the draft: Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin or Drayton Florence at cornerback and Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott and George Wilson at safety.

McKelvin was the 11th player chosen overall last year. He is expected to step in for Jabari Greer, a free agent who went to the New Orleans Saints. The Bills brought in Florence for help. Ashton Youboty and Reggie Corner also are on the roster.

Whitner was the eighth overall pick in 2006.

Within the next nine picks after the Bills selected Levitre, three tackles went off the board. The Minnesota Vikings took Oklahoma's Phil Loadholt. The New England Patriots drafted Houston's Sebastian Vollmer. The New York Giants chose Connecticut's Will Beatty.

ESPN says he's 6-0. Again, there are differences, with the major difference being that Byrd doesn't gamble as much as Ed Reed. They are actually remarkably similar in certain aspects of their games. I haven't seen a DB with Byrd's ball skills since maybe Ed Reed.

:thumbsup:

One of the reasons he fell on draft boards was because when he got to the combine he measured 5'10" and not 6'. Watching him during games, or even on all the highlight reels, he always looked short and stocky to me. I am not at all down on him in any way, I like the pick a lot. If, like I said just above, his instincts and angles and anticipation translates to the pros. Some guys it's that split second too slow that negates a lot of talent. I'm looking forward to watching him play, and I actually think he has a very good chance to start opening day (if Jauron doesn't kitty out about starting a rookie)

what did he say?

my personal jury is out, but here is mr graham's analysis on the AFC East

http://myespn.go.com/blogs/nflnation?tag=a...20analysis%2009

The Buffalo Bills -- stuck on 7-9 for three straight seasons -- made some head-scratching picks, ignoring tackle and loading up on defensive backs, a position that was relatively healthy.
Riskiest move

The Buffalo Bills traded Pro Bowl left tackle Jason Peters a week before the draft and didn't select a tackle.

You can look at this three ways: 1) the Bills are confident veteran Langston Walker and second-year project Demetrius Bell can handle the tackle positions; 2) they might be working on a trade for someone Levi Jones after the Cincinnati Bengals drafted Andre Smith; or 3) Buffalo's front office doesn't know what it's doing.

Buffalo went with Penn State defensive end Aaron Maybin, Louisville center Eric Wood, Oregon defensive back Jairus Byrd, Oregon State guard Andy Levitre, Southern Miss tight end Shawn Nelson, Oklahoma linebacker/safety Nic Harris, Southern California cornerback Cary Harris and West Virginia cornerback Ellis Lankster.

Maybin and Wood can easily be justified as first-round choices. But the Bills are adding a variable to Wood's future by moving him to guard after he started 49 straight games as Louisville's center.

What's with all the defensive backs?

The Bills seemed to have their secondary penciled out heading into the draft: Terrence McGee and Leodis McKelvin or Drayton Florence at cornerback and Donte Whitner, Bryan Scott and George Wilson at safety.

McKelvin was the 11th player chosen overall last year. He is expected to step in for Jabari Greer, a free agent who went to the New Orleans Saints. The Bills brought in Florence for help. Ashton Youboty and Reggie Corner also are on the roster.

Whitner was the eighth overall pick in 2006.

Within the next nine picks after the Bills selected Levitre, three tackles went off the board. The Minnesota Vikings took Oklahoma's Phil Loadholt. The New England Patriots drafted Houston's Sebastian Vollmer. The New York Giants chose Connecticut's Will Beatty.

:thumbsup:

One of the reasons he fell on draft boards was because when he got to the combine he measured 5'10" and not 6'. Watching him during games, or even on all the highlight reels, he always looked short and stocky to me. I am not at all down on him in any way, I like the pick a lot. If, like I said just above, his instincts and angles and anticipation translates to the pros. Some guys it's that split second too slow that negates a lot of talent. I'm looking forward to watching him play, and I actually think he has a very good chance to start opening day (if Jauron doesn't kitty out about starting a rookie)

There is no way that Ko Simpson will start, so i think he stands a very good chance of being the #1 FS. Especially since he is good at things that rookie DBs usually struggle at (reading QBs, recognizing coverage, taking the right angles... etc.)

for what its worth, Tim Graham doesnt sound too impressed with the Bills' draft

I respect the guy's skills and everything he brings to the board, but no offense, his opinion doesn't mean much (as any does any media member). Everyone has an opinion and these guys aren't paid scouts or former front office types. I love the draft and time will tell how it plays out.

Graham:

The Buffalo Bills -- stuck on 7-9 for three straight seasons -- made some head-scratching picks, ignoring tackle and loading up on defensive backs, a position that was relatively healthy.

Maiorana:

Don’t laugh. Seriously, you’re not going to believe it, but the Bills closed the draft by selecting another cornerback. Does there come a point when you truly do have enough cornerbacks? Ellis Lankster played at West Virginia after starting his career in junior college, and he’s just another seventh-round guy who will try to make the squad on special teams.

So in review, the Bills took a defensive end, two interior offensive linemen, four defensive backs (one of which they project as a linebacker) and one tight end.

One thing we know for sure: There’s going to be quite a competition for spots in the secondary this summer at St. John Fisher College. Too bad there won’t be much competition at outside linebacker where they really need to find an upgrade for Keith Ellison.

And wouldn’t it have been nice if the had at least tried to bring a capable offensive tackle in to compete with holdovers like Kirk Chambers and Demetrius Bell.

Now we get to hear Russ Brandon, Tom Modrak and Dick Jauron explain why they needed to spend their last three picks on defensive backs.

Sully:

5:59 p.m. -- Bills have made their pick in the seventh round. What else? Another cornerback: Ellis Lankster of West Virginia. I guess you can never have enough defensive backs. It's worth noting that Terrence McGee will be a free agent after this season. They took Leodis McKelvin in the first round last year and also drafted Reggie Corner. They took Jairus Byrd in the second round in this draft. Looks like they're bolstering the secondary in case McGee goes the same route as Jabari Greer.

The late run on CBs will be mentioned more than once going forward.

Guest dog14787
Considering you need to play 3cbs against the pats pretty much the whole game, I don't see a problem with that.

It doesn't surprise me if DJ's specialty is DB's, I believe he played Safety in College and he knows the position well.

If it equates to beating the patriots somehow then I'm all for it, and your right, it will probably take the best defensive backfield in the league to shut down Shady Brady and the Belicheat.

Gotta watch Jauron though, we would have a whole team of DB's if it was up to him. :thumbsup: