I cant believe the negativity of this board

They used a #8 on a SAFETY...anyone who confuses a safety with a corner doesnt know what they are talking about...they are completely different positions and thats as ignorant as saying a TE and WR are the same position or a FB and RB are the same...or a Kicker and Punter are the same...

What did they use the #11 on?

• Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

They used a #8 on a SAFETY...anyone who confuses a safety with a corner doesnt know what they are talking about...they are completely different positions and thats as ignorant as saying a TE and WR are the same position or a FB and RB are the same...or a Kicker and Punter are the same...

Bill said DBs, not CBs. And the number of top-ten picks used on safeties is minuscule -- I count five in the last 15 years. One (Roy Williams) has been released by the team that drafted him; another (Michael Huff) may join him, and one (Sean Taylor), unfortunately, is no longer with us. That leaves LaRon Landry and Donte Whitner as the last two standing, and the jury's still out on Whitner (pun not intended).

Bill said DBs, not CBs. And the number of top-ten picks used on safeties is minuscule -- I count five in the last 15 years. One (Roy Williams) has been released by the team that drafted him; another (Michael Huff) may join him, and one (Sean Taylor), unfortunately, is no longer with us. That leaves LaRon Landry and Donte Whitner as the last two standing, and the jury's still out on Whitner (pun not intended).

You absoulutely can not lump in a safety with a CB...they are ENTIRELY two different positions and its absurd to count them as one positional draft choice. Thats as silly as lumping in all WE and TE's into the WR category...and he lumped all of them in as one category...

Considering the Chargers took someone who's in the hospital, I'm not complaining with this draft at all.

The Chargers selected LSU WR Demetrius Byrd in the seventh round (225th overall), one week after he was injured in a car accident. The Shreveport Times reports that Byrd has been upgraded from critical to good condition at a Miami hospital.

Byrd was a star for LSU’s national championship team in 2007, but he struggled last season. Before the accident, he was expected to be drafted between the fifth and seventh rounds.

You absoulutely can not lump in a safety with a CB...they are ENTIRELY two different positions and its absurd to count them as one positional draft choice. Thats as silly as lumping in all WE and TE's into the WR category...and he lumped all of them in as one category...

Even though the Bills seem to view them as interchangeable? If they're two entirely different positions, after all, one could reasonably expect Byrd to have problems adapting to the switch.

You might think everybody is negative but the franchise has said 7-9 is not good enough and the fans expect a playoff run. With that being said who is your LT? Do you have a starting SAM linebacker on the roster? Is anybody on your offensive line going to play the same position as last year? How can you make the playoffs running a franchise this way?

The "74" in your handle must be your IQ!!

We have several very fine candidates for LT in Bell, Butler, and Walker.... one of them WILL stand out!

The LB position is our weakest position on the team, IMO, but I suppose every team has one. We have Ellison, who probably is not quite as weak as you think, who will be challenged by Lehman, an injured from last year Marcus Buggs, and an interesting pick this year in Nic Harris. Options, anyway! (FAgency?)

And OL playing the same position as last year? Who cares? With the exception of LT we're much all around stronger than last year and far deeper.

This team is much improved from last year... only 2 questions in my mind; can we jell in time, and for once can we avoid the injury bug!!!???!!! ;)

I mean for a DE, they are not too bad in run defense as DE typically are not all that effective agaisnt the run in todays NFL as many of them are now speed rushers...

Buffalo was 13th against the pass and 20th against the run last season. Stopping the run has been a huge problem for this team over the last 10 years, and especially a problem due to the light players that Jauron likes to use in his Tampa 2.

The FO has not done a single thing in FA or the draft to address this glaring and fatal flaw with their defense, choosing to draft DB after DB, rather than spending a couple of those picks on a space-eaters in the interior of the line that could occupy blockers.

Negativity is justified when the FO and coaching staff of this team continue to ignore one of the most important fundamental of successful franchise, stopping the run.

Considering the Chargers took someone who's in the hospital, I'm not complaining with this draft at all.

The Chargers selected LSU WR Demetrius Byrd in the seventh round (225th overall), one week after he was injured in a car accident. The Shreveport Times reports that Byrd has been upgraded from critical to good condition at a Miami hospital.

Byrd was a star for LSU’s national championship team in 2007, but he struggled last season. Before the accident, he was expected to be drafted between the fifth and seventh rounds.

He is expected to have a full recovery...so if they liked him before the injury, why not take him in the 7th...not to mention, I would imagine a new appreciation for life will come out of this for the kid, could be a big motivational push for him. These things can really push some people to greater things...

Again, it was a 7th round pick...lots of upside considering he is expected to make a full recovery.

How often do 6th and 7th round picks make a difference? They drafted a few developmental projects last year (Johnson and Bell), but other than that... it's pretty rare for late round picks to do anything outside of ST. I would say people should be happy with the first 5 rounds and realize that we got some good special teamers with our last few picks.

The funny thing about all these folks complaining is that in today's NFL, there are AT LEAST 5 DBs on the field 50% (if not more) of the time. Meaning you need at least 7 DBs who can play if you want to be successful.

I mean for a DE, they are not too bad in run defense as DE typically are not all that effective agaisnt the run in todays NFL as many of them are now speed rushers...

They wouldnt start at DE on any other team but the bills or maybe Cinci...why...cuz they suck.

Just because teams haven't frequently used Top-10 picks on Safeties, it doesn't mean that Safeties aren't worth of being Top-10 picks

Buffalo was 13th against the pass and 20th against the run last season. Stopping the run has been a huge problem for this team over the last 10 years, and especially a problem due to the light players that Jauron likes to use in his Tampa 2.

The FO has not done a single thing in FA or the draft to address this glaring and fatal flaw with their defense, choosing to draft DB after DB, rather than spending a couple of those picks on a space-eaters in the interior of the line that could occupy blockers.

Negativity is justified when the FO and coaching staff of this team continue to ignore one of the most important fundamental of successful franchise, stopping the run.

You do realize that run stopping is not the primary responsibility of a DE...ok, now I am convinced no one reads post...they just pick our words and make their own story up...

I said for DE's they are not bad against the run...I did not say we were a devastating run D as a unit

although, we were top 3 in run D unitl injuries hit our Defense last year and one of the last teams to allow a 100 yard rusher if memory serves me...

He is expected to have a full recovery...so if they liked him before the injury, why not take him in the 7th...not to mention, I would imagine a new appreciation for life will come out of this for the kid, could be a big motivational push for him. These things can really push some people to greater things...

Again, it was a 7th round pick...lots of upside considering he is expected to make a full recovery.

Being in critical condition and upgraded, does not bode well for him.

I agree it can help motivate him, but he wasn't that great to begin with and you expect him to recover? I bring it up because of people crying about wasted picks.

They could have had someone else, but they took him instead. Just like we could've had someone else, but we did what we did instead.

We had better than an outstanding draft, people need to suck it up and get excited about the impact players we got, not complain about who they think we should have drafted.

It could have been worse, we could have drafted this guy. The board would have exploded if that happened after our past history with damaged players drafted.

You do realize that run stopping is not the primary responsibility of a DE...ok, now I am convinced no one reads post...they just pick our words and make their own story up...

I said for DE's they are not bad against the run...I did not say we were a devastating run D as a unit

although, we were top 3 in run D unitl injuries hit our Defense last year and one of the last teams to allow a 100 yard rusher if memory serves me...

Ah...so thats why we had an amzing 7-9 record and lost to everyone in the Division...twice!

anyone who confuses a safety with a corner doesnt know what they are talking about...they are completely different positions and thats as ignorant as saying a TE and WR are the same position or a FB and RB are the same...or a Kicker and Punter are the same...

Yeah and Byrd is a CB, not a safety. Never played the position.

Guest dog14787
Tell me a DB we picked well in the Dick J / Marv Levy era. Remember, Mckelvin is unproven and could still pan out to be a bust. Name another steal our brain trusts got in the draft. ;)

All you have to do is look back at some of my post from last night to tell how thrilled I am with the draft.

I'm happy today though, with all these CB picks, I'm feeling kinda lucky we picked a TE at all.

Gotta take what you can get around here I suppose :lol:

Being in critical condition and upgraded, does not bode well for him.

I agree it can help motivate him, but he wasn't that great to begin with and you expect him to recover? I bring it up because of people crying about wasted picks.

They could have had someone else, but they took him instead. Just like we could've had someone else, but we did what we did instead.

We had better than an outstanding draft, people need to suck it up and get excited about the impact players we got, not complain about who they think we should have drafted.

It could have been worse, we could have drafted this guy. The board would have exploded if that happened after our past history with damaged players drafted.

I read he is doing great and the doctors expect a full recovery...he had a big year the year before, and was seen as guy with potential...again, all they risked was a 7th round pick, many of which dont even make rosters

You obviously haven't read my posting history. But never fear biscuit, I will be there to remind you how right I am when they go breasts up. ;) Man, I'm tired of being right ! :lol: P.S. Like you know anything about talent, Schopp and the Bulldog is how you do your scouting.

It's obvious to everyone on the board, except you "Da", that you don't know anything about anything!

Still, the offense is divided up into 11 players in 8 basic positions (QB, 2RB, FB, 2WR, TE, 2OT, 2OG, C). The defense is usually divided up into 11 players in 6 basic positions (2DE, 2DT, 2OLB, 1 MLB, 2CB, 2S).

That's one way to look at it.

Another way is to divide it up into 11 different positons, but dividing up DEs into LDE and RDE or right CB and left CB are distinctions that are never made.

A third way, and perhaps the most common way, is to divide up the offense into QBs, Backs, TEs, WRs, and OL. That's 11 guys in 5 positions, and again, probably the way they are looked at the most. The defense is divided up this way as DL, LBs and DBs.

People often talk about teams as their line or their linebackers or their secondary. So it's very legitimate to complain we drafted 4 DBs out of 8 players, the same way it would be easy to complain we spent 4 on one position like LBs or DL when there are so many more needs. If you're going to use too many picks on any one area, it should probably be either of the lines, not either of the backfields.

It's obvious to everyone on the board, except you "Da", that you don't know anything about anything!

Thanx for taking time out of your busy drivel to jump on :lol: Read back in my posts, if you can, I was right! F'n new guys ...I will be right on this draft also. I recognize talent you do not braindeadstroke ;)

Thanx for taking time out of your busy drivel to jump on :lol: Read back in my posts, if you can, I was right! F'n new guys ...I will be right on this draft also. I recognize talent you do not braindeadstroke ;)

I agree with ya...it was a crummy draft and the FO sucks and the Bills will be on the golf course in Jan 2010 again.

And I am saying that I doubt if anyone in the Continental United States thinks that Kelsay is good against the run. He is a speed rushing DE who is weak and cannot get to the quarterback. On the run he is even worse.

He is a safety, it's his natural position.

WTF does that mean? Someone points at him and says "you're a safety"?

I suppose Wood is a "natural guard" because he never played the position, but that's where Dick's gonna put him.

Still, the offense is divided up into 11 players in 8 basic positions (QB, 2RB, FB, 2WR, TE, 2OT, 2OG, C). The defense is usually divided up into 11 players in 6 basic positions (2DE, 2DT, 2OLB, 1 MLB, 2CB, 2S).

That's one way to look at it.

Another way is to divide it up into 11 different positons, but dividing up DEs into LDE and RDE or right CB and left CB are distinctions that are never made.

A third way, and perhaps the most common way, is to divide up the offense into QBs, Backs, TEs, WRs, and OL. That's 11 guys in 5 positions, and again, probably the way they are looked at the most. The defense is divided up this way as DL, LBs and DBs.

People often talk about teams as their line or their linebackers or their secondary. So it's very legitimate to complain we drafted 4 DBs out of 8 players, the same way it would be easy to complain we spent 4 on one position like LBs or DL when there are so many more needs. If you're going to use too many picks on any one area, it should probably be either of the lines, not either of the backfields.

And if we had spent our 2 late round picks on lineman who wouldn't contribute on ST, and wouldn't make the team?

I read he is doing great and the doctors expect a full recovery...he had a big year the year before, and was seen as guy with potential...again, all they risked was a 7th round pick, many of which dont even make rosters

This pick was just as "out there" as some of our later picks. That's the only point I was trying to make.

I wish the guy well, and hope he recovers 100%. Most people who are in critical condition and survive are never 100% again.

A full recovery does not mean a full football recovery, it just means he'll have full function.

He is a safety, it's his natural position.

So natural that he has never played it? CB is his natural position. He would play CB in the pros, too, if he were faster. His deficiencies will not be exposed as much at safety, and his abilities may be better served there in the pros. But that's not to say it's his natural position. And we don't at all know that the theory will be proven correct, that the things he does well at CB he will do well at safety. It's likely he will be able to learn it but again it's not his "natural position".

How many "space eaters" do you think we can play all at once? We have plenty of them on the roster now and considering there are only 7 active each week.... hmm, might be enough, huh?

I agree with ya...it was a crummy draft and the FO sucks and the Bills will be on the golf course in Jan 2010 again.

Again, I hope not ,but it is looking that way. I want this team to win and all we really added was T.O. , we needed other FA additions on O line and the D line. Experience over intuition. ;)

WTF does that mean? Someone points at him and says "you're a safety"?

I suppose Wood is a "natural guard" because he never played the position, but that's where Dick's gonna put him.

He was recruited to be a FS in college, and is too slow to play CB... while he shows the very same skill set that makes Ed Reed a great FS. This all goes right over your head, right? Even Bill Belichick drafted Brandon Merriweather (CB) to play safety. So please, don't act like you know what you are talking about.

So natural that he has never played it? CB is his natural position. He would play CB in the pros, too, if he were faster. His deficiencies will not be exposed as much at safety, and his abilities may be better served there in the pros. But that's not to say it's his natural position. And we don't at all know that the theory will be proven correct, that the things he does well at CB he will do well at safety. It's likely he will be able to learn it but again it's not his "natural position".

He was recruited to be a FS in college, and is too slow to play CB... while he shows the very same skill set that makes Ed Reed a great FS. This all goes right over your head, right? Even Bill Belichick drafted Brandon Merriweather (CB) to play safety. So please, don't act like you know what you are talking about.