Draft Prospect Cliche- What's your favorite?

DDD

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

And and a very convenient explanation as to why the prognosticator in question got the pick wrong. IF the team doesn't take who he said they would, then gets off the hook by calling their pick a reach. Now the attention is focused on the team doing something wrong, instead of him not getting the pick right.

Of course, all of the above is not applicable if we are talking about the NY Jets. (ahem, Gholston, cough)

:thumbsup:

I've never understood the phrase; He's a poor man's....

If your team has a need and you pick the perfect player, who cares if you reached for him? What matters is how that player contributes. No one talks about how much of a reach a player was years down the road. It's just an meaningless invented concept to get fans worked up over.

PTR

Sorry but I care. The Bills reached for Donte Whitner when the value AND need fit with getting Haloti Ngata. Now they're turning Whitner into a free safety. Brilliant! The Bills blew it.

As another draft is nearly upon us, I'm reminded of those hilarious generic player evaluations we hear every year.

Some of my favorites:

"plays with great leverage"

"pursues to the ball well"

"has all the physical tools" (my all-time favorite)

Other favorites fellow draftniks?

He may be small, but he's slow.

He's got good 'foot-speed'.

(Is there any other kind?)

Oh and lets not forget..." he is a good looking prospect "....they are all prospects, and who cares what they look like?..

or " He is a major reach at this pick "....but the best one was when the Jests drafted Jeff Lageman and Kiper said " this pick proves to me the Jets have no idea what the draft is about! "....priceless

" Good bubble" for offensive lineman. Have no idea what it means. :thumbsup:

It's a shortened version of "bubble butt." I guess it's supposed to mean a lineman can better anchor himself because he's got a huge, high ass.

Very odd, these draft analysts.

Tom Donahoe: "We're going to draft football players." Yeah. Thanks Tom.

Its equally illuminating when pundits tell us a guy is a "football player." I'm so glad they can deduce this from hours of film study.

"He needs to work on his hand punch." That can not be legal.

"He's got good hip swivel." I like to think Jessica Biel has good hip swivel.

"He can make all the throws." No complaints, I just like it.

"He's got good closing speed." Uh, why not just say he can run real fast?

"Perennial overachiever." At some point, would you not raise your expectations a bit to compensate for his achievements? :thumbsup:

And of course, being a Bills fan, I vomit in my mouth a little every time I hear "high motor."