Bills are bottoming out

Maybe it all depends on what you are satisfied with as a fan. For some of us, the goal is the playoffs and the Superbowl. Others seem to be happy watching the Bills play each week during the season, win or lose.

I have been optimistic at various points during the last 10 years (the time since we last made the playoffs), but this is the most pessimistic I have ever been. It is painful watching this team and the front office. Decisions seem to be made based on money more than any other reason (getting rid of players and keeping Jauron) and the overall uncertainty about the future of the franchise hangs over things like a big black cloud. It does not help that home games are being played in Toronto.

Over the last 10 years, the drafting of players has been average, but every other football related area (i.e., free agent acquisitions and coaching) has been terrible. The current front office seems to be incompetent, and this does not bode well for future improvement.

• Replies 208
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I agree with everything you've said, Badol, unfortunately.

I will add this: what upsets me the most is the COMPLETE, UTTER SILENCE of the Bills Front Office following the Peters trade. Not a peep. No explanation. Not even a mealy-mouthed, "We regretfully made this decision after trying unsuccessfully for two years to reach an agreement with Jason, and when we decided that wasn't going to happen, we moved in a different direction that we believe will be in the long-term best interests of our football team." Nope. Just silence. They don't even care anymore. As Gleason said, they know that the stands will be relatively full for the last three years of the franchise's tenure in Buffalo, then it's off to the highest Canadian bidder.

There are things to point to when comparing Belichick to Jauron other than superbowl wins. Belichick was a great defensive coordinator. Jauron employs a defensive system that is weak and stupid, and he does it with small players. Belichick drafts linemen with his early picks. Jauron seems to favor defensive backs, and then throws them in this dumb cover-2 where they are far away from the ball. What's worse is that even if he did have a clue on draft day (which I very strongly doubt), it is said that 90 year old Mr. Wilson has the final say. How far is this going to bring a team?

Btw, Badol is more analytical than negative. He has gone to every home game for many years and puts his money where his mouth is. Others come from across America and even other countries to see the Bills. It gets expensive, but Bills Fans are a very loyal bunch. We at least deserve a playoff spot every now and then rather than ongoing idiocy from Bills management.

Totally agree Bill...

This idea that all Jauron needs is more talent...I simply don't buy it...The fact is Dead Dick has NO answer vs. good NFL Teams...He loses WAY too many winnable Games...I would give the guy a bit of a pass if it was 2-3 losing Seasons...But one winning Season in eight as a Head Coach is proof enough for me that the guy is flat out overmatched on any given Sunday... :rolleyes:

Totally agree Bill...

This idea that all Jauron needs is more talent...I simply don't buy it...The fact is Dead Dick has NO answer vs. good NFL Teams...He loses WAY too many winnable Games...I would give the guy a bit of a pass if it was 2-3 losing Seasons...But one winning Season in eight as a Head Coach is proof enough for me that the guy is flat out overmatched on any given Sunday... :rolleyes:

It reminds me of a boss I once had. He told me, "I will back you all the way as long as you are 100% right!" I asked him why the f I would need him if I was 100% right, and he walked away.

It doesn't matter if Jauron could have won the Superbowl with the 76 Steelers. The fact is that he continues to lose, and there is no reason to believe that he wil stop losing.

I agree with everything you've said, Badol, unfortunately.

I will add this: what upsets me the most is the COMPLETE, UTTER SILENCE of the Bills Front Office following the Peters trade. Not a peep. No explanation. Not even a mealy-mouthed, "We regretfully made this decision after trying unsuccessfully for two years to reach an agreement with Jason, and when we decided that wasn't going to happen, we moved in a different direction that we believe will be in the long-term best interests of our football team." Nope. Just silence. They don't even care anymore. As Gleason said, they know that the stands will be relatively full for the last three years of the franchise's tenure in Buffalo, then it's off to the highest Canadian bidder.

You have to admit. if not for the T.O. signing (which made everybody feel better for a while), this has been an absolute dreadful off-season. Before the T.O. signing, morale and ticket sales were in serious decline, which was kick-started by retaining Dead Dick at Head Coach. Then for a while everything "felt" better because of the T.O. signing. Unfortunately, ever since, things have went right back to miserable. Star LT is gone, Parrish, Ko, Kelsay are all on the block & nobody knows what the Hell is going on. The Bills are gonna have to have one Hell of a draft OR make a huge blockbuster trade to get everybody feeling better again. Maybe that will happen or maybe not. Look at it this way, we've been 7-9 for three straight seasons....so I'd actually rather the Bills have one extreme or the other....preferably win and make the playoffs BUT if not, then they need to crash and effing burn (which looks like could happen)...so we can CLEAN HOUSE from the GM down....of course that's assuming Ralphie would actually care enough to do it....just my two cents.

You have to admit. if not for the T.O. signing (which made everybody feel better for a while), this has been an absolute dreadful off-season. Before the T.O. signing, morale and ticket sales were in serious decline, which was kick-started by retaining Dead Dick at Head Coach. Then for a while everything "felt" better because of the T.O. signing. Unfortunately, ever since, things have went right back to miserable. Star LT is gone, Parrish, Ko, Kelsay are all on the block & nobody knows what the Hell is going on. The Bills are gonna have to have one Hell of a draft OR make a huge blockbuster trade to get everybody feeling better again. Maybe that will happen or maybe not. Look at it this way, we've been 7-9 for three straight seasons....so I'd actually rather the Bills have one extreme or the other....preferably win and make the playoffs BUT if not, then they need to crash and effing burn (which looks like could happen)...so we can CLEAN HOUSE from the GM down....of course that's assuming Ralphie would actually care enough to do it....just my two cents.

Can people stop saying STAR LT when referring to Peters? Yes, he had some good years. However he also allowed 11.5* sacks or so last year, he sat out training camp and a good portion of the season, was turning into a cancer, etc., etc. Accept that getting rid of him was GOOD for this team.

I do not like the idea of shopping Parrish. The dude is amazing on ST and relatively cheap.

Can people stop saying STAR LT when referring to Peters? Yes, he had some good years. However he also allowed 11.5* sacks or so last year, he sat out training camp and a good portion of the season, was turning into a cancer, etc., etc. Accept that getting rid of him was GOOD for this team.

I do not like the idea of shopping Parrish. The dude is amazing on ST and relatively cheap.

I admit Peters was a doushe-bag and the Bills hands were tied on this one. However, when he wanted to he could dominate. This bridge was burned last year during the hold-out, it was inevitable. I was also happy when they traded his ass because he sucked so bad last year. I really think he ruined team chemistry on the o-line (which was playing really well without him at start of season). BUT, let's face it...he was good...and now we are worse on the O-line. Both our lines suck balls! We are losing the battles in the trenches....I actually wouldn't mind if they used all their picks on lineman only!

Throw in a good TE as well.

I agree on Parrish....yes, he's a one trick pony....but he's an electrifying one trick pony...I will miss him 4 sure...

I admit Peters was a doushe-bag and the Bills hands were tied on this one. However, when he wanted to he could dominate. This bridge was burned last year during the hold-out, it was inevitable. I was also happy when they traded his ass because he sucked so bad last year. I really think he ruined team chemistry on the o-line (which was playing really well without him at start of season). BUT, let's face it...he was good...and now we are worse on the O-line. Both our lines suck balls! We are losing the battles in the trenches....I actually wouldn't mind if they used all their picks on lineman only!

Throw in a good TE as well.

I agree on Parrish....yes, he's a one trick pony....but he's an electrifying one trick pony...I will miss him 4 sure...

He reminded me of Reuben Brown. One year great, the next he's upset and a turnstile - scary how a millionaire needs motivation. Plus, I have always been sick of those players who have years left on a contract and they decide to hold out till they get a better contract. What part of contract don't they get?

I agree, the line was playing great in the beginning of the year. Whatever the new OL adds up to be, hopefully they will play as good. I think they can acquire a good TE via FA. And I too, would not mind them using their first four picks on all linemen.

What about the players right now? More and more of them are hearing that they are on the trading block. What does that do for moral? We had peters ticked of ,what about some of the others now? Parcells once said that you lose 1 to games are year for every rookie starter because of their lack of game time experience in critical situations. Some people on this board, think that we are going to find 4 or 5 starters in this draft and go on to be Super Bowl contenders.

This may happen, no one knows, but it is highly unlikely. We had a great chance last year and folded.

People will say look at Atlanta or Miami, they did it why not us? We were a big part of Miami's success.

Dave, Owens certainly did not have a great year last year. And, it wasn't all Brad Johnson... TO is not as physical as he used to be, and is not the unstopable force he was in previous years. You can write it off as that being a product of the talent around him, or the coaching, or whatever...but the Bills offensive talent is not all that much better (if at all) than the offensive talent that the Cowboys had. That is not to say the Owens is useless, or is not still very good, but I don't think he is the cure-all that so many seem to be assuming....there are still major holes to fill on this roster

Buftex, that's not the TO I saw. Randy Galloway has been on a crusade against him, and I think his dislike of the man has finally filtered through to the masses.

Dave, Owens certainly did not have a great year last year. And, it wasn't all Brad Johnson... TO is not as physical as he used to be, and is not the unstopable force he was in previous years. You can write it off as that being a product of the talent around him, or the coaching, or whatever...but the Bills offensive talent is not all that much better (if at all) than the offensive talent that the Cowboys had. That is not to say the Owens is useless, or is not still very good, but I don't think he is the cure-all that so many seem to be assuming....there are still major holes to fill on this roster

T.O. was right. The Cowboys passing game went through Jason Whitten and not him.

What part of contract don't they get?...

I think they can acquire a good TE via FA.

Unlike in other pro sports, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Only the signing bonus is guraranteed. You ask "What part of contract don't they get?" They certainly get the part where if the team decides the player is not worth it, the team can cut the player with no further financial obligation. If a team is not obligated to honor the terms of a contract, why must the player?

What good tight end are you talking about? Michael Gaines?

What about the players right now? More and more of them are hearing that they are on the trading block. What does that do for moral? We had peters ticked of ,what about some of the others now? Parcells once said that you lose 1 to games are year for every rookie starter because of their lack of game time experience in critical situations. Some people on this board, think that we are going to find 4 or 5 starters in this draft and go on to be Super Bowl contenders.

This may happen, no one knows, but it is highly unlikely. We had a great chance last year and folded.

People will say look at Atlanta or Miami, they did it why not us? We were a big part of Miami's success.

Well as for the morale part, the team hasn't been to the playoffs in about 10 years. On top of that they all know it's a business so the trading block thing doesn't bother me a bit. It might even help that the players are not as comfortable. The person you later on quote, Parcells, never believed that his players should feel comfortable.

As for Parcell's comments, I agree it's very naive to think you're gonna plug a rookie into the lineup at any position and that they are automatically gonna be the equivalent or even better than the veteran player they're asked to replace. Just guessing this might apply to one player per draft. How many recent Bills draftees have come in, started, and outperformed the previous player at their position? Very few. And it's not a criticism of the Bills. This is largely true in the NFL with exceptions of course. We've created another hole and now unfortunately it has to be filled.

Unlike in other pro sports, NFL contracts are not guaranteed. Only the signing bonus is guraranteed. You ask "What part of contract don't they get?" They certainly get the part where if the team decides the player is not worth it, the team can cut the player with no further financial obligation. If a team is not obligated to honor the terms of a contract, why must the player?

What good tight end are you talking about? Michael Gaines?

I was actually thinking about Scheffler from the Broncos. I look at their contracts as if I was to sign a contract... unless I add in the language stating that I can receive bonuses, etc. based on performance I should not be able to sit back and whine or not do my job until I get that bonus or raise. I can see players wanting or requesting an extension or more money in the later part of their contract but when they have two plus years left it's ridiculous and unfortunately something we all as fans have to live with.