How do YOU grade Buffalo's off-season, thus far?

Justice

Players gained:

C/G Hangartner

WR Owens

C/G McKinney

LB Thomas

CB Florence

RB Rhodes

C Philip

WR Sam

DE Smith

T Scott

QB Fitzpatrick

Players lost:

LT Peters

LG Dockery

C Preston

C Fowler

CB Greer

LB Crowell

TE Royal

QB Losman

The Bills went into the off-season with glaring holes at center, tight end, defensive end, wide receiver, outside linebacker, and safety. They created holes for themselves at left guard and left tackle because of Derrick's release and Peters' trade with Philly. They also needed a cornerback after they decided to let Jabari Greer walk.

The Bills addressed center, cornerback and the wide receiver positions adequately by signing Hangartner, Florence and Owens, respectfully. All of our other positions of need were addressed with band aids, IMO, and some positions have continued to be ignored.

If the Bills don't sign any other free agents or make any trades they will go into the draft with holes remaining at TE, DE, OLB, S, LT, and LG. The Bills can't possibly assume that all of these spots will be filled in one draft so it appears the Bills are in rebuild mode, which is funny because the Bills kept Jauron and Co. around for continuity's sake.

So much for continuity. 60% of the offensive line will be new next year and the Bills appear to have no rhyme or reason on how to build a team. I mean, if continuity was so important, like they claim it to be, they should have kept Peters, Dockery, Crowell, and Greer. Instead, they decided to blow up the roster and start a new.

With that being said, I give the Bills a D+, so far, this off-season. I sure hope they hit a grand slam in the draft or the Bills will be going in reverse. We might even be longing for the days of 7 & 9 if this kind of crap keeps up.

PS. I know I'll get flamed by some for this post, because many of you think I'm such a negative fan, but I'm really just a realist. My knowledge of the game prevents me from having rose colored glasses. So sue me.

Players gained:

C/G Hangartner

WR Owens

C/G McKinney

LB Thomas

CB Florence

RB Rhodes

C Philip

WR Sam

DE Smith

T Scott

Players lost:

LT Peters

LG Dockery

C Preston

C Fowler

CB Greer

LB Crowell

TE Royal

The Bills went into the off-season with glaring holes at center, tight end, defensive end, wide receiver, outside linebacker, and safety. They created holes for themselves at left guard and left tackle because of Derrick's release and Peters' trade with Philly. They also needed a cornerback after they decided to let Jabari Greer walk.

The Bills addressed center, cornerback and the wide receiver positions adequately by signing Hangartner, Florence and Owens, respectfully. All of our other positions of need were addressed with band aids, IMO, and some positions have continued to be ignored.

If the Bills don't sign any other free agents or make any trades they will go into the draft with holes remaining at TE, DE, OLB, S, LT, and LG. The Bills can't possibly assume that all of these spots will be filled in one draft so it appears the Bills are in rebuild mode, which is funny because the Bills kept Jauron and Co. around for continuity's sake.

So much for continuity. 60% of the offensive line will be new next year and the Bills appear to have no rhyme or reason on how to build a team. I mean, if continuity was so important, like they claim it to be, they should have kept Peters, Dockery, Crowell, and Greer. Instead, they decided to blow up the roster and start a new.

With that being said, I give the Bills a D+, so far, this off-season. I sure hope they hit a grand slam in the draft or the Bills will be going in reverse. We might even be longing for the days of 7 & 9 if this kind of crap keeps up.

PS. I know I'll get flamed by some for this post, because many of you think I'm such a negative fan, but I'm really just a realist. My knowledge of the game prevents me from having rose colored glasses. So sue me.

This is completely silly to do before the draft considering how many picks we have. This will be an entirely differnet looking team in a week. Ask next sunday.

only thing I think they really should have done was keep Dokerey a little longer till they knew for sure what Peters was going to do...although most ppl said Dokerey didnt play to his contract, it still might have been better than redoing the whole left side along with center

This is completely silly to do before the draft considering how many picks we have. This will be an entirely differnet looking team in a week. Ask next sunday.

True, but I did say thus far. Either way, the Bills will have to hit a grand slam in the draft if they hope to salvage this otherwise horrible off-season. Take away Owens and it's a straight out "F" to the Bills FO this off-season. Besides, how can you say we can grade the Bills' off-season appropriately after the draft when we don't really know how our draft picks will pan out before we actually see them perform on the field?

I like what the Bills have done this off season. Dockery didn't play up to his contract, Preston didn't impress, and Fowler totally blew it. Royal IMO was getting out performed by Fine and Schouman. I would like to see them get rid of a few more lack luster stars on the team. I don't like Kelsay, and I am not sure that Edwards will survive the season. They had to do something to shake it up a little. Maybe this will provide the spark that some of the guys in the locker room will need.

With that said I will probably change my mind mid season again. :D

I like what the Bills have done this off season. Dockery didn't play up to his contract, Preston didn't impress, and Fowler totally blew it. Royal IMO was getting out performed by Fine and Schouman. I would like to see them get rid of a few more lack luster stars on the team. I don't like Kelsay, and I am not sure that Edwards will survive the season. They had to do something to shake it up a little. Maybe this will provide the spark that some of the guys in the locker room will need.

With that said I will probably change my mind mid season again. :D

I don't really buy into the whole, "Dockery didn't live up to his contract" argument. Sure, he didn't really earn his money judging by his play, but the vast majority of that money was already wasted in his signing bonus. His contract was very affordable at the time of his release.

Players gained:

C/G Hangartner

WR Owens

C/G McKinney

LB Thomas

CB Florence

RB Rhodes

C Philip

WR Sam

DE Smith

T Scott

QB Fitzpatrick

Players lost:

LT Peters

LG Dockery

C Preston

C Fowler

CB Greer

LB Crowell

TE Royal

QB Losman

Harami, your knowledge of our team and its players is terrible. Have you watched us play the past few years? Dockery, Preston, Fowler, Royal and Losman all sucked bigtime. None of them were legitimate NFL starters. And Crowell is coming off a bad knee injury. We were going nowhere with the roster we had. And Jason Peters is all a lot of hype in my mind. Where did everyone get the idea that he is so darn good? Because he used to be a TE in college and blocked a punt against Cincinnati in his rookie year. Give me a break. I am actually very excited to get rid of Peters, because the guy did not want to play for the Bills, is not a tough guy, and is injury prone. I believe we will make a few more trades and acquisitions leading up to the draft. I think this big makeover is going to surprise a lot of people come September. I am keeping the faith, and you can keep Preston, Royal, Dockery and Fowler!!

Harami, your knowledge of our team and its players is terrible. Have you watched us play the past few years? Dockery, Preston, Fowler, Royal and Losman all sucked bigtime. None of them were legitimate NFL starters. And Crowell is coming off a bad knee injury. We were going nowhere with the roster we had. And Jason Peters is all a lot of hype in my mind. Where did everyone get the idea that he is so darn good? Because he used to be a TE in college and blocked a punt against Cincinnati in his rookie year. Give me a break. I am actually very excited to get rid of Peters, because the guy did not want to play for the Bills, is not a tough guy, and is injury prone. I believe we will make a few more trades and acquisitions leading up to the draft. I think this big makeover is going to surprise a lot of people come September. I am keeping the faith, and you can keep Preston, Royal, Dockery and Fowler!!

When did you hear me say those guys were a loss in any way? I hated Losman, Fowler, and Royal. Where in the world did you get that from? I merely listed all of Buffalo's additions and subtractions to the roster and you took that as me missing all of those players? Come on man, you can't be that dumb!

The point I was trying to make is what a crock of bull the whole "continuity" excuse was. I do, however, would have liked to see the Bills re-sign Crowell to the same deal he got from Tampa and I can't say really say I like the release of Dockery. Replacing 60% of the offensive line isn't the wisest thing to do.

my biggest question of this years aquisitions so far is who out of them do the Bills really keep?

C/G Hangartner - definatly keep and he starts at C

WR Owens - definatly keep

C/G McKinney - most likely keep as depth

LB Thomas - I dont see him staying, unless they decide hes better than Ellison and Ellison gets the boot

CB Florence - dont see him makeing the cut either..to many CB's

RB Rhodes - stays and the Bills cut Omon

C Philip - most likely stays for C depth

WR Sam - gone..way to many WR's

DE Smith - dont see him staying either

T Scott - depends on Bell's ability and wether or not Bills draft a LT, but otherwise hes gone

QB Fitzpatrick - definatly stays as #2 QB

I could be wrong, so please tell me if these guys are really any better than the depth we have

Players gained:

C/G Hangartner

WR Owens

C/G McKinney

LB Thomas

CB Florence

RB Rhodes

C Philip

WR Sam

DE Smith

T Scott

QB Fitzpatrick

Players lost:

LT Peters

LG Dockery

C Preston

C Fowler

CB Greer

LB Crowell

TE Royal

QB Losman

Greer is the only player on that list we will likely miss and not even him if McKelvin or someone else steps up.

my biggest question of this years aquisitions so far is who out of them do the Bills really keep?

C/G Hangartner - definatly keep and he starts at C

WR Owens - definatly keep

C/G McKinney - most likely keep as depth

LB Thomas - I dont see him staying, unless they decide hes better than Ellison and Ellison gets the boot

CB Florence - dont see him makeing the cut either..to many CB's

RB Rhodes - stays and the Bills cut Omon

C Philip - most likely stays for C depth

WR Sam - gone..way to many WR's

DE Smith - dont see him staying either

T Scott - depends on Bell's ability and wether or not Bills draft a LT, but otherwise hes gone

QB Fitzpatrick - definatly stays as #2 QB

I could be wrong, so please tell me if these guys are really any better than the depth we have

Owens, Hangartner, Thomas, Florence, Rhodes, and Fitzpatrick will be Buffalo Bills come September. McKinney? Maybe. The rest? Camp fodder.

Greer is the only player on that list we will likely miss and not even him if McKelvin or someone else steps up.

So, we wont miss Peters and Dockery at all, huh? We'll see about that.

Owens, Hangartner, Thomas, Florence, Rhodes, Fitzpatrick will be Buffalo Bills come September. McKinney? Maybe. The rest? Camp fodder.

ok so who do you think Bills cut loose to keep Thomas and Florence?....I can see Ellison going to keep Thomas but theres to many CB's to keep Florence...I dont think they cut Corner or Youboty...Id hate to see them let Bowen go..hes still young and if hes full health from that injury , he could be a good LB..plus I think Buffalo drafts a OLB..if they dont then theres room for Thomas most definatly

ok so who do you think Bills cut loose to keep Thomas and Florence?....I can see Ellison going to keep Thomas but theres to many CB's to keep Florence...I dont think they cut Corner or Youboty

Florence's contract is pretty large and he's either Jabari's replacement or our new nickelback. He could possibly be moved to safety if Youboty and Corner continue to impress/stay healthy. He's here to stay. Thomas will beat out Costanza or Corto.

And then again, what do I know? Haven't you heard? I don't even watch Bills games and my knowledge of the Bills is terrible. :D

Your excited to get rid of Peters? Come on man. I'll tell you who is excited: the entire city of Philly and every NFL talking head (excited for Philly). Now that the FO has torn apart the left side of our O line, expect Trent to have no time to make any passes and watch the OC turn our offense back into short outs and dinks and dunks to avoid the sacks. Knowing TE's injury history, get ready for the Fitzpatric, show as well. The AFC East (sans us) is known for its great 3-4 defenses and the absence of a legitimate NFL caliber line is usually detrimental to your own well being.

And what serious knee injury did Crowell have? Are you privy to some information the rest of us don't have? All reports have/had Crowel back to form while last season was still continuing. Crowell was a stud and we lost him. Greer was a stud and we lost him. Peters was a stud and we lost him. Dockery was decent and we lost him.

My grade for the off season so far is a solid D minus. The draft will be interesting and I agree--we need grand slam just to raise the grade to a D plus. Even with a grand slam in the draft we don't get back to baseline for all our losses this off season.

Agreed. Seems we have a schizophreniac running the team. One minute you're keeping the coach and bringing in a TO, the next you're dumping salary, dismantling your OL and stockpiling draft picks. Pick a strategy and execute it.

True, but I did say thus far. Either way, the Bills will have to hit a grand slam in the draft if they hope to salvage this otherwise horrible off-season. Take away Owens and it's a straight out "F" to the Bills FO this off-season. Besides, how can you say we can grade the Bills' off-season appropriately after the draft when we don't really know how our draft picks will pan out before we actually see them perform on the field?

In light of their recent moves, I think TO makes it an F. I mean, what's the point. Trent will get destroyed. They should've got rid of the coach and moved on with a new coach and his system for this year. If you're gonna rebuild, commit to it. Now we waste another season until that inevitably happens anyway. Only then it could render all this stockpiling of picks useless, as the new coach will want his guys, and these picks may not fit his system. What a cluster*$.

Man, what I put in bold above is one of the dumbest things I have seen on these boards, and there have been some stupid things on here. How you get to the conclusion we are in "rebuild" mode is beyond me. Because we cut dead weight and traded a player who did NOT want to be here, you some how come to the conclusion we are in rebuild mode? Geezus...some fans are blind.

First, T.O. was not brought in for a "rebuild" mode...they would not take the risk of pairing him with a young fragile QB in a make or break year if they were in rebuild mode. Dockery was playing well below his contract and we have players on our squad that could play to his level for far less money, so they dumped him. Peters was traded because he didnt want to be here, proof is he signed for less than he was demanding here in a single day of negotiating.

We have brought in a Vet RB now...if we were just rebuilding, the FO and staff would let Oman handle the backup duties to see what he could do...clearly, they care about wins by signing a vet back instead. We cut other dead weight on this team with clear indications we are looking to upgrade them like G and TE.

Our offseason has actually been a pretty good offseason and in fact, probably the best of any team out there in terms of value and cap management. Every site I have seen has graded us an A...but unrealistic fans who think a team needs to sign 5 big time FA every offseason think its a failure...

We were right in cutting Dockery and trading Peters...Crowell signed for more money elsewhere and so did Greer. The only player I would have liked to have kept is Greer, but he wasnt really needed as we are deep at CB.

So, go make your trades in madden or something, because either you dont really know football or your mind has been warped by fantasy football because your expectations are very unrealistic...

Agreed. Seems we have a schizophreniac running the team. One minute you're keeping the coach and bringing in a TO, the next you're dumping salary, dismantling your OL and stockpiling draft picks. Pick a strategy and execute it.

In light of their recent moves, I think TO makes it an F. I mean, what's the point. Trent will get destroyed. They should've got rid of the coach and moved on with a new coach and his system for this year. If you're gonna rebuild, commit to it. Now we waste another season until that inevitably happens anyway. Only then it could render all this stockpiling of picks useless, as the new coach will want his guys, and these picks may not fit his system. What a cluster*$.

Second dumbest post I have seen...right behind the post by the OP...

Our offseason has actually been a pretty good offseason and in fact, probably the best of any team out there in terms of value and cap management. Every site I have seen has graded us an A...but unrealistic fans who think a team needs to sign 5 big time FA every offseason think its a failure...

Did your mommy make your lunch for you today too? Talk about dumb. Try doing your own thinking. Or maybe you can't see past those rose colored glasses. Newsflash: dismantling 60% of your OL is not a recipe for success. Appease yourself all you want about dead weight this, not worth the money that, but creating new holes without addressing previously existing holes is called spinning your wheels. Or maybe you haven't noticed the past 9 seasons.

A week before the draft I would give The Front office a C + so far

Positives

T. fu%%ing O. ...... much needed compliment for Lee Evans and a counterbalance on keeping Jauron for this year and increased popcorn sales in the WNY area. Betting that there will be more TO jerseys than Poz jerseys in the stands this year

Rhodes.. veteran insurance in case Jackson goes down Maybe the best move so far

Goodbyes to Peters, Dockery, JP Loseman, Royal

Although the Peters saga is over they have to replace him. Dockery also. But the OL is deep in this year class at the draft

Royal and JP sucked so wont be missed.

Negatives

give FRED JACKSON HIS MONEY

losing Greer.. he may have a long successful career and he seems like a great guy to have in the locker room

Florence .....may not be better than Yobooty or Corner, have a wait and see attitude on him

Kelsey still on roster ...this may change after the draft God willing lol

Roscoe Parrish as trade bait..... i dont see the reasoning in willing to give up the best Punt returner in the league

I know that the bills are heavy at WR but does moving Parrish really help?? IMO I dont think so

Playing Jets in the dome in TO ....this smells like the Fins last year game all over again I hope it flops like last year

Playing tom Brady first game on national TV.....oh my damn it could be UGLY

Marshawn , Donte, Ko having ghetto life stories....nuff said. Im wondering if Kelsey can have a hood episode also so he can get suspended for 4 games :D

why is McCargo still with the team?? another wasted 1st rounder

Tim Graham not working for the Buffalo News....oh yea he makes more money at ESPN...my bad lol

notice the Negatives outweigh the Positives ?? no surprise huh

Man, what I put in bold above is one of the dumbest things I have seen on these boards, and there have been some stupid things on here. How you get to the conclusion we are in "rebuild" mode is beyond me. Because we cut dead weight and traded a player who did NOT want to be here, you some how come to the conclusion we are in rebuild mode? Geezus...some fans are blind.

First, T.O. was not brought in for a "rebuild" mode...they would not take the risk of pairing him with a young fragile QB in a make or break year if they were in rebuild mode. Dockery was playing well below his contract and we have players on our squad that could play to his level for far less money, so they dumped him. Peters was traded because he didnt want to be here, proof is he signed for less than he was demanding here in a single day of negotiating.

We have brought in a Vet RB now...if we were just rebuilding, the FO and staff would let Oman handle the backup duties to see what he could do...clearly, they care about wins by signing a vet back instead. We cut other dead weight on this team with clear indications we are looking to upgrade them like G and TE.

We were right in cutting Dockery and trading Peters...Crowell signed for more money elsewhere and so did Greer. The only player I would have liked to have kept is Greer, but he wasnt really needed as we are deep at CB.

So, go make your trades in madden or something, because either you dont really know football or your mind has been warped by fantasy football because your expectations are very unrealistic...

IMHO the only reason Jauron is still here is, he had already signed an extension, and Ralph wasn't about to swallow the $$$ loss, and TO was brought in to put people in the seats after the Jauron debackle. This team, like it or not, is rebuilding.

Pluses: Added draft picks in what's considered a deep draft, T.O., cleared a salary room, avoided overpaying for a good LT who didn't want to be here, got to see a really funny video of the "monster tackle" LB Thomas made on Turner last year.

Minuses: New holes created at RT and TE (assuming Walker moves to LT) and Chambers plays LG.

Grade: Incomplete.

An extremely generous C-.

With the exception of one fleeting Sharpie autographing, popcorn-popping moment, the off-season so far has resembled one of Dick Jauron's peaceful, emotionless Sunday afternoon walking naps.

Now that we have an extra 1st rounder to play with, maybe the team will light it up a little and show us some of its urgency to win as we approach the draft .... you know .... like trading Roscoe for a 4th rounder in 2010, or swapping Kelsay for someone's 6th rounder and their backup TE. :-)

In reality, it's certainly not too late for them to step it up. Let's hope.

Players gained that are good signings:

WR Owens

CB Florence

Players lost that are bad losses:

LT Peters

C Preston - (not really bad, but I still think he could start at guard, and was excellent depth.)

CB Greer

LB Crowell

My grade so far: D

An extremely generous C-.

With the exception of one fleeting Sharpie autographing, popcorn-popping moment, the off-season so far has resembled one of Dick Jauron's peaceful, emotionless Sunday afternoon walking naps.

:D:wallbash: Outstanding observation!

that's right

after the draft, we will have a whole flock of new names and we can pencil in some 6th and 7th rounder as starters and future hall of famers and all of the problems are solved :D

good thing we have a spin doctor as our GM!!

get those season tickets!!!

super Bowl baby!!!

Classified adds in Buffalo reads like this, "Welcome to Buffalo, The Place where No Experience is Necessary and we will give you on the Job Training".

Examples? Russ Brandon, Perry Fewell, and Turk Schonert. None of these guys held their current positions with another team. This is the main reason why the Bills appear to be chasing their own tails instead of building a championship caliber team.

Exactly. Why not cut the rest of our over paid, so called star players like Kelsay and Schobel while they're at it?

No, we're not re-building. We're retooling the roster, right? We're only one or two draft picks away from owning the AFC East. Ah huh???? Sure, I'll buy that. :D

Did your mommy make your lunch for you today too? Talk about dumb. Try doing your own thinking. Or maybe you can't see past those rose colored glasses. Newsflash: dismantling 60% of your OL is not a recipe for success. Appease yourself all you want about dead weight this, not worth the money that, but creating new holes without addressing previously existing holes is called spinning your wheels. Or maybe you haven't noticed the past 9 seasons.

He's just being a "real" Bills fan. :wallbash:

Keep drinking that marketing kool-aid. You seem prime to swallow it by the spoonful.

Put a nice red bow on a pile of garbage and you will soon see it's still a piece of garbage. He will see the light. Eventually.

IMHO the only reason Jauron is still here is, he had already signed an extension, and Ralph wasn't about to swallow the $$$ loss, and TO was brought in to put people in the seats after the Jauron debackle. This team, like it or not, is rebuilding.

You're exactly right. They sign TO to a one year deal and do nothing else of substance and some people just eat it up. TO was just window dressing for what, otherwise, is a crappy off-season.

It has been 10 years since we made the playoffs and it is frustrating and disappointing to lose the team's best player at one of the most important positions.

It is difficult to evaluate some of the other moves, such as signing Florence to replace Greer. Florence was a flop for the Jaguars and Greer started for us last year. Not sure if Fitzpatrick can win us some games if Edwards gets injured. Rhodes seems like a good pick up as a back-up. McKinney is not a starter and although Chambers was re-signed, he really is only a back-up. Hangartner is the big unkown. Not a starter in Carolina (and not re-signed by Carolina), but played well enough after some injuries to get the Bills very interested. After our experience with Fowler and Johnson (two back ups for their former teams that were supposedly starter quality) and combined with realities of facing Jenkins, Ferguson and Wilfork in our division, I have doubts that he will prove to be the answer at center. Losing players like Preston, Fowler and Whittle is no loss.

I really do not buy this addition by subtraction argument. The reality is that we do not have quality starters to fill the roles vacated by Peters, Dockery, Royal and Crowell (I know he was injured last year, but he was a good player when healthy). I don't see how we can fill all of our holes through the draft. We will be lucky to find one or two starters out of the draft and we cannot expect them to perform at a high level in their first year.

Overall, I think this offseason has been something of a disaster. We are far away from being a contender, which is unfortunate since there is some talent at certain positions (i.e., wr and cb). You cannot create huge holes and then not fill them (the draft cannot be the answer this year for LT, guard, DE, LB and strong safety).

It has been 10 years since we made the playoffs and it is frustrating and disappointing to lose the team's best player at one of the most important positions.

It is difficult to evaluate some of the other moves, such as signing Florence to replace Greer. Florence was a flop for the Jaguars and Greer started for us last year. Not sure if Fitzpatrick can win us some games if Edwards gets injured. Rhodes seems like a good pick up as a back-up. McKinney is not a starter and although Chambers was re-signed, he really is only a back-up. Hangartner is the big unkown. Not a starter in Carolina (and not re-signed by Carolina), but played well enough after some injuries to get the Bills very interested. After our experience with Fowler and Johnson (two back ups for their former teams that were supposedly starter quality) and combined with realities of facing Jenkins, Ferguson and Wilfork in our division, I have doubts that he will prove to be the answer at center. Losing players like Preston, Fowler and Whittle is no loss.

I really do not buy this addition by subtraction argument. The reality is that we do not have quality starters to fill the roles vacated by Peters, Dockery, Royal and Crowell (I know he was injured last year, but he was a good player when healthy). I don't see how we can fill all of our holes through the draft. We will be lucky to find one or two starters out of the draft and we cannot expect them to perform at a high level in their first year.

Overall, I think this offseason has been something of a disaster. We are far away from being a contender, which is unfortunate since there is some talent at certain positions (i.e., wr and cb). You cannot create huge holes and then not fill them (the draft cannot be the answer this year for LT, guard, DE, LB and strong safety).

Just an observation, but Hangartner started 15 games at C in 2006 for Carolina and has started 12 games over the last 2 seasons at LG. Carolina's line, statistically, was actually better during the games in which he started than when Travelle Wharton was starting at G. Saying he was not a starter for Carolina is not actually the case. He is a solid signing, a young guy who is going to be much better from day one than either Fowler or Preston.

Remember 2007 when Buffalo continued the dismantling that started in 06? That was a huge example of addition by subtraction. McGahee traded, Fletcher and Clements left in UFA. Spikes traded. The previous season saw some vets depart as well.

When those guys departed, draft picks (who are still developing) came in to replace them.

Yet through it all, major changes don't work unless someone knows what they're doing. Both seasons after the overhaul was supposedly complete, Buffalo went 7-9.

Spot on here.

Remember 2007 when Buffalo continued the dismantling that started in 06? That was a huge example of addition by subtraction. McGahee traded, Fletcher and Clements left in UFA. Spikes traded. The previous season saw some vets depart as well.

When those guys departed, draft picks (who are still developing) came in to replace them.

Yet through it all, major changes don't work unless someone knows what they're doing. Both seasons after the overhaul was supposedly complete, Buffalo went 7-9.

Spot on here.

Trying to tread water while more and more weight gets added... Well, on the bright side, we still have Dick Jauron and the continuity he brings to the table. :D

I think that the front office is quite confident with Whitner and Scott starting as safety so I'm not sure why people keep talking about that glaring hole especially when they are so many other holes to fill.

And can we quit with this Crowell love all of a sudden, most of this board was ready to run him out of town after 2007 and now that he has left he is god's gift. I don't quite get it.

I think that the front office is quite confident with Whitner and Scott starting as safety so I'm not sure why people keep talking about that glaring hole especially when they are so many other holes to fill.

And can we quit with this Crowell love all of a sudden, most of this board was ready to run him out of town after 2007 and now that he has left he is god's gift. I don't quite get it.

probably because as bad as you think he may have been, what he was replaced with has been worse and the LB corp is worse

same is true for most of the player cuts made by the front office.

When did you hear me say those guys were a loss in any way? I hated Losman, Fowler, and Royal. Where in the world did you get that from? I merely listed all of Buffalo's additions and subtractions to the roster and you took that as me missing all of those players? Come on man, you can't be that dumb!

The point I was trying to make is what a crock of bull the whole "continuity" excuse was. I do, however, would have liked to see the Bills re-sign Crowell to the same deal he got from Tampa and I can't say really say I like the release of Dockery. Replacing 60% of the offensive line isn't the wisest thing to do.

Replacing 60% of the oline is not the best thing. However you have to look at it position by positon or player by player.

Fowler- Bad

Dockery- Was not very good. Getting paid way to much for what he was doing. So what close your eyes and hope he plays better this year?

Peters- Wanted to be paid like best LT, when the Bills just saw him have a very average at best season.

Royal- had stone hands and was way way overpaid.

Sorry but the other thing not many people mention is maybe the Bills like some of the young guys that are already on the team.

McKelvin replaces Greer, not Florence

Ellis steps up and plays good this year rotating in on De

Bell steps up and plays good on Oline.

Fine continues to progress this year. He is a move the changes type of TE. But the Bills really dont need more then that with Evans and Owens stretching the field.

Now for FA

Owens is another target for Trent and a true number 2 wide out for Evans to get open more. Take away the T.O name and look at his numbers we would all be very happy to have gotten him.

Florence will be very good in a nickle package. Zone cover 2 is what he excelled at while in SD. More so then playing a press man coverage like he was asked to do in JVille.

Hangarnter was technically a back up. But started 8 games last year at center while Khalil went down. Carolina had a great rushing attack and a many of his Oline teammates thought highly of him.

McKinney is a very solid depth guy on Oline,that will also help spell any rookie interior guys that are drafted.

Rhodes will help carry the load during Marshawns suspension. And also help if either Freddie or Marshawn goes down. He can catch and run the ball effectively.

Fitz is a nice back up. God knows he cant do worse then JP did last year.

Thomas will be a ST and depth at LB.

Then you have the draft

Right now you need two players for the defensive front 7 and i would say an Oline man. These should get addressed with the first three picks. All three of those picks should be guys that could step right in and start. Yes they will have some growing pains, but i would not go into full on rebuild mode for Buffalo.

The offseason is not even halfway over yet. The draft will help us see what type of season we can expect.

But who ever said the Bills need to hit on their first four picks is exactly right.

am I the only one that still remembers that Buffalo has a LB named Bowens?...I ask only cuz noone seems to add him to the mix at all...I know he was hurt thru his rookie year, but Id like see what he can bring to the table...If Buffalo drafts a OLB this season, who do you see them cutting?...is Bowens talented enough to take the starting spot?

am I the only one that still remembers that Buffalo has a LB named Bowens?...I ask only cuz noone seems to add him to the mix at all...I know he was hurt thru his rookie year, but Id like see what he can bring to the table...If Buffalo drafts a OLB this season, who do you see them cutting?...is Bowens talented enough to take the starting spot?

as a 5th round pick, he has to start.how could those low round draft picks not be good??

why else would the Bills turn down a 3rd rounder from Phillie and take a 4th and 6th next year for Peters?

as a 5th round pick, he has to start.how could those low round draft picks not be good??

why else would the Bills turn down a 3rd rounder from Phillie and take a 4th and 6th next year for Peters?

I know ur being sarcastic, but honestly, does he have a shot or no?...If your not going to use your picks from 5th and on then i dont see any reason to actually pick them..If you only plan on useing picks 1-4 then just forfeit the rest and go home...ok so he might not be a starter, but do you see him being able to push Ellison or pizza man to the curb?