Sources: Peters to Eagles for three picks

• Replies 194
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Not happy with the compensation. Wanted more...the 20th instead of the 28th, and a 3rd instead of a 4th. Not happy.

I agree...to let the Eagles give their 2nd 1st round pick instead of their 1st is inexcusable. Peters is about as good a LT as you are gonna get---I would have let the Eagles know that their 21st pick was the pick needed to seal the deal and let them know to call back when they were ready to part with it. I'd be willing to be either next Friday or during the draft next Saturday, they would have pulled the trigger...The Bills basically gave Peters away for much less than they could have gotten on draft day or immediately preceding it...

:worthy:

There's more that happened today, too.

enjoy the freak show

lol, I know! I got off my computer at noon and was out all day. I get home and BOOM!

Not that this was a shocker, but it certainly is some big freaking news.

We've had quite the offseason, huh!?

I'm not debating that Jason has a ton of talent...he does, but being the best in the NFL

is a lot more than talent or size. It takes commitment, heart, team unity, strong work

ethic, etc. Does Peters have all of these qualities? Maybe, but there is definitely some

doubt in my mind after last season...

Now with this doubt, would I sign him as the highest paid lineman in the league...probably

not.

It never really bothered me when Bruce Smith would complain about his pay because

I would say well he IS the best in the game (apologies to Reggie White)...you knew what

you were going to get from Bruce every play, every game, year in and year out, but right

now I can't say the same thing for Jason, no matter what the media says...hell they thought

Willis McGahee was a HUGE pickup for Baltimore, but as we all knew, Willis lacked many of

those intangible NFL qualities. So, to spend the kind of money Peters was asking would have

been a big risk for the team (if they were questioning his heart, or drive, or work ethic, or

desire to play for the Bills).

Now, could Peters go to Philly and play awesome for many years to come? Sure, but how many

on this board would bet that he plays at the caliber of the best LT in the league for say the next

four years. Would you bet $1,000 on it? How about twelve million a year?

Love of the game makes great players, and players will take slightly less to stay somewhere they

want to be. If Peters would only stay in Buffalo if he was made the highest paid LT in the game that

says to me it is more about ego with him or feeling as if he's been slighted by the team or wanting to

go to a proven winner, in any case it calls into question if he really wanted to be here. And why would

anyone want a player on their team that doesn't want to be there. Do you think you'll get his all, all of the time?

I wish things could have worked out and we kept Peters, but after last year there had to be some

compromise from Jason's side, not highest paid or else...there is no way his holdout didn't hurt the

team last year and they weren't going to go through it again...with new players on the O-Line this year

they need to start getting some continuity as quick as possible and a Peter's holdout would kill that.

And I also wish the compensation was higher, but we don't really know what goes on with NFL deals...just because

someone on a message board or in the media says he's worth a 1st and a 3rd, doesn't make it so. Tim's

article did say the Giants were also interested...I think the deal with Philly was the best we were going to

get. So I'm happy we got the extra picks and got rid of a player who wasn't thinking football and team (Bills) first.

Yes, this could mean a half step back this year if we don't find someone to play LT solidly

(which isn't a given one way or the other), but I think ultimately it was a good move for the future of the Bills.

I'm not debating that Jason has a ton of talent...he does, but being the best in the NFL

is a lot more than talent or size. It takes commitment, heart, team unity, strong work

ethic, etc. Does Peters have all of these qualities? Maybe, but there is definitely some

doubt in my mind after last season...

Now with this doubt, would I sign him as the highest paid lineman in the league...probably

not.

It never really bothered me when Bruce Smith would complain about his pay because

I would say well he IS the best in the game (apologies to Reggie White)...you knew what

you were going to get from Bruce every play, every game, year in and year out, but right

now I can't say the same thing for Jason, no matter what the media says...hell they thought

Willis McGahee was a HUGE pickup for Baltimore, but as we all knew, Willis lacked many of

those intangible NFL qualities. So, to spend the kind of money Peters was asking would have

been a big risk for the team (if they were questioning his heart, or drive, or work ethic, or

desire to play for the Bills).

Now, could Peters go to Philly and play awesome for many years to come? Sure, but how many

on this board would bet that he plays at the caliber of the best LT in the league for say the next

Love of the game makes great players, and players will take slightly less to stay somewhere they

want to be. If Peters would only stay in Buffalo if he was made the highest paid LT in the game that

says to me it is more about ego with him or feeling as if he's been slighted by the team or wanting to

go to a proven winner, in any case it calls into question if he really wanted to be here. And why would

anyone want a player on their team that doesn't want to be there. Do you think you'll get his all, all of the time?

I wish things could have worked out and we kept Peters, but after last year there had to be some

compromise from Jason's side, not highest paid or else...there is no way his holdout didn't hurt the

team last year and they weren't going to go through it again...with new players on the O-Line this year

they need to start getting some continuity as quick as possible and a Peter's holdout would kill that.

And I also wish the compensation was higher, but we don't really know what goes on with NFL deals...just because

someone on a message board or in the media says he's worth a 1st and a 3rd, doesn't make it so. Tim's

article did say the Giants were also interested...I think the deal with Philly was the best we were going to

get. So I'm happy we got the extra picks and got rid of a player who wasn't thinking football and team (Bills) first.

Yes, this could mean a half step back this year if we don't find someone to play LT solidly

(which isn't a given one way or the other), but I think ultimately it was a good move for the future of the Bills.

:worthy:

Yes. Especially about heart and strong work ethic.

He may end up being the best LT in NFL history, God knows he has the

physical tools. The mental tools is up for debate.

My gut feeling is he plays well for Philly this year, and within a few years is considered

a bust, and the Bills ripped off the Eagles.

Enjoy the payday while it lasts Peters....

If i were the Bills I would have bet the $25 mil, that he would do it for the next TWO years. Then they could trade him, if he asked for more $$. I'm certain he would come to camp this year, and I'm fairly certain he would next year, too. After that, I have my doubts.

The link: http://myespn.go.com/blogs/afceast

And this should tell us all we need to know about the relationship between Peters and the Bills:

I think that quote does indeed say it all. For a year and a half he and his agent said next to nothing to the FO. In one afternoon, Peters - no agent - is sitting down talking about a deal. For whatever reason, he just didn't seem like he wanted to be here the last year or so. Paying him may have made him stay, but would it have made him play hard or would he continue to sit with the slightest injury? It appears more and more that Brandon may have had few options afterall.

For me, the jury is out on this trade until I see 2 things. 1. What we do on draft day with these picks. 2. What type of player Peters becomes over the next year or 2.

Now that Philly has an in with our FO as a trading partner, maybe we can get them to trade Our #11 for their #21, a fifth round this year, seventh next year. Should be easy, we are already bent over and lubed..... The Peters trade should have been their #21 and a third round this year!

I think that quote does indeed say it all. For a year and a half he and his agent said next to nothing to the FO. In one afternoon, Peters - no agent - is sitting down talking about a deal. For whatever reason, he just didn't seem like he wanted to be here the last year or so. Paying him may have made him stay, but would it have made him play hard or would he continue to sit with the slightest injury? It appears more and more that Brandon may have had few options afterall.

Based on what I've heard, that's the bottom line, here. I'm not saying the Bills were eager to step up and pay that kind of money, but they were close enough for discussions. Supposedly the Peters camp was unreachable, particularly Peters himself, who hasn't returned phone calls for quite some time. The negotiation with Parker was less than collegial, as well. IMO, there is more at play here than the money (which obviously plays a big part in nearly all negotiations). I think the events of last year left a bad taste in the mouth of both sides.

On the NFL Network, this morning, TJ Houshmandzadeh and Solomon Wilcots were discussing Chad Johnson Cinco, and a possible trade to Philly. TJ said, while he and Chad are "boys" and Chad is liked on the team, players don't want guys on the team who don't want to be there. And both he and Wilcots agreed that, when a player doesn't want to be somewhere, you simply do not get the best out of that player no matter how much you pay him. I'd have to say I agree with that, and have experienced it first, and second, hand in my personal life. It's not even that you purposefully slack (though you might), it's simply you aren't in the best mental frame of mind to do your absolute best.

Like you, I will wait until making a final decision on the trade. On the surface, it looks like the Bills got hosed, as they could have easily paid Peters the coin he got from Philly, should have gotten a better deal from Philly, pulled the trigger on the deal too soon to get maximum value, and involve other teams...etc. They had other options. But, I have a feeling they wanted a fresh start, and wanted to go into the draft with a clean slate (with regards to this matter).

I have a feeling the Bills FO draft meetings, which I think started this week, may have been a part of moving this along. They probably gave Brandon the go-ahead to make the best deal ASAP. Word is Philly has been an active shopper for Peters for some time, and I'm sure negotiations were further along than with any other team.

Based on what I've heard, that's the bottom line, here. I'm not saying the Bills were eager to step up and pay that kind of money, but they were close enough for discussions. Supposedly the Peters camp was unreachable, particularly Peters himself, who hasn't returned phone calls for quite some time. The negotiation with Parker was less than collegial, as well. IMO, there is more at play here than the money (which obviously plays a big part in nearly all negotiations). I think the events of last year left a bad taste in the mouth of both sides.

On the NFL Network, this morning, TJ Houshmandzadeh and Solomon Wilcots were discussing Chad Johnson Cinco, and a possible trade to Philly. TJ said, while he and Chad are "boys" and Chad is liked on the team, players don't want guys on the team who don't want to be there. And both he and Wilcots agreed that, when a player doesn't want to be somewhere, you simply do not get the best out of that player no matter how much you pay him. I'd have to say I agree with that, and have experienced it first, and second, hand in my personal life. It's not even that you purposefully slack (though you might), it's simply you aren't in the best mental frame of mind to do your absolute best.

Like you, I will wait until making a final decision on the trade. On the surface, it looks like the Bills got hosed, as they could have easily paid Peters the coin he got from Philly, should have gotten a better deal from Philly, pulled the trigger on the deal too soon to get maximum value, and involve other teams...etc. They had other options. But, I have a feeling they wanted a fresh start, and wanted to go into the draft with a clean slate (with regards to this matter).

I have a feeling the Bills FO draft meetings, which I think started this week, may have been a part of moving this along. They probably gave Brandon the go-ahead to make the best deal ASAP. Word is Philly has been an active shopper for Peters for some time, and I'm sure negotiations were further along than with any other team.

Sometimes it is inevitable, of course. But, you and I both know that good management takes it as a primary responsibility to keep their charges content so that they can focus on the job. If you weren't happy in your job and your boss responded by telling you through a broadcast email to all hands to "be a man and suck it up", it's pretty likely that the office culture would be seen as suddenly toxic.

Sometimes it is inevitable, of course. But, you and I both know that good management takes it as a primary responsibility to keep their charges content so that they can focus on the job. If you weren't happy in your job and your boss responded by telling you through a broadcast email to all hands to "be a man and suck it up", it's pretty likely that the office culture would be seen as suddenly toxic.

Sure, but the nature of any organization is, no matter what you do, you will have some unhappy people...there are too many variables. And, as you know, a bad incident, or two, can really change the situation. If you want to use "real world" (as opposed to NFL) analogies, a guy gets singled out and chastised at a meeting for a team failure, he starts griping to anyone who will listen that he is "getting screwed", he starts taking days off and shirking at his job while letting eveyone knows he isn't getting a raise he deserves, management sends the broadcast email you refer to...etc. Who is at fault? Depends on what side you are on, and really doesn't matte in the final analysis. The guy probably isn't going to be the best employee going forward and management probably isn't going to value/trust him enough going forward. The water has been too poisoned.

I'm not saying the Bills are blameless here...they aren't. But, Peters and Parker made it tough for the Bills to repair any damage that may have been done...they were unavailable (psychologically and, well literally, from what I hear).

Sure, but the nature of any organization is, no matter what you do, you will have some unhappy people...there are too many variables. And, as you know, a bad incident, or two, can really change the situation. If you want to use "real world" (as opposed to NFL) analogies, a guy gets singled out and chastised at a meeting for a team failure, he starts griping to anyone who will listen that he is "getting screwed", he starts taking days off and shirking at his job while letting eveyone knows he isn't getting a raise he deserves, management sends the broadcast email you refer to...etc. Who is at fault? Depends on what side you are on, and really doesn't matte in the final analysis. The guy probably isn't going to be the best employee going forward and management probably isn't going to value/trust him enough going forward. The water has been too poisoned.

I'm not saying the Bills are blameless here...they aren't. But, Peters and Parker made it tough for the Bills to repair any damage that may have been done...they were unavailable (psychologically and, well literally, from what I hear).

We are in agreement. I specifically wrote "good management". Good management is out in front of things and it is a very difficult job. But, good management realizes that they are only as good as their people. Thus, keeping the people happy is and should be one of their primary focuses. Now, it isn't always possible to keep everyone happy all of the time. That's reality. By all accounts Peters did not start out a bad apple. He worked his way up from an UDFA nobody wanted to an All-Pro LT. That's not exactly the same as a "normal job" where the salesman who would rather drink all afternoon in the bar than sell the product. Neither side is blameless, but it is easier to blame Peters for everything because he is gone. I don't know who wouldn't call whom or who's phone wasn't working, but I know Parker said the Bills never called him. The Bills say Parker never called them. It's hard to work out problems when nobody is communicating. I find it simply unconscionable that any management would not communicate with its employee or, as is SOP in the artificial world of the NFL, his representation, though. That's just bad business. Reap what is sown.

We are in agreement. I specifically wrote "good management". Good management is out in front of things and it is a very difficult job. But, good management realizes that they are only as good as their people. Thus, keeping the people happy is and should be one of their primary focuses. Now, it isn't always possible to keep everyone happy all of the time. That's reality. By all accounts Peters did not start out a bad apple. He worked his way up from an UDFA nobody wanted to an All-Pro LT. That's not exactly the same as a "normal job" where the salesman who would rather drink all afternoon in the bar than sell the product. Neither side is blameless, but it is easier to blame Peters for everything because he is gone. I don't know who wouldn't call whom or who's phone wasn't working, but I know Parker said the Bills never called him. The Bills say Parker never called them. It's hard to work out problems when nobody is communicating. I find it simply unconscionable that any management would not communicate with its employee or, as is SOP in the artificial world of the NFL, his representation, though. That's just bad business. Reap what is sown.

If you are making $X per year and think you need/should get a raise, is it prudent to just sit there and not talk to your bosses, and wait for them to contact you?

If you are making $X per year and think you need/should get a raise, is it prudent to just sit there and not talk to your bosses, and wait for them to contact you?

It isn't as if Peters didn't let his bosses know he was unhappy, and wanted a raise. I think he did that pretty effectively. The more complicated question is "what do you to after that?" You can go back and forth on who started it, and who escalated it. None of us were there. Even if we were, we'd likely have some disagreements on what went down, and who was at fault.

It isn't as if Peters didn't let his bosses know he was unhappy, and wanted a raise. I think he did that pretty effectively. The more complicated question is "what do you to after that?" You can go back and forth on who started it, and who escalated it. None of us were there. Even if we were, we'd likely have some disagreements on what went down, and who was at fault.

Couldn't agree more. It was loud and clear he wanted a new contract. In fact, he had talked to them during the season before but they put him off until the off-season. Then, it depends on who one wants to believe as to who was stonewalling whom. Holdouts are what happens when negotiations are failing; agents don't stage "surprise" holdouts for their personal amusement.

I would agree; however, we can not discount that sometimes people change. Perhaps something over the last couple of years - signing Dockery and Walker - left a sour taste in his mouth and he's slowly rotted on the line, so to speak. Eventually, it all escalated into last season's holdout.

Precisely. Someone has to give a little. To bring in another real world scenario... I currently have an employee that is doing just that. He thinks he's grossly underpaid, I offered him more compensation based on what I think is fair, he doesn't like it, it's been a week and not a word from him on the offer. Result: Monday at 8am I begin interviewing replacements.

True he let them know he was unhappy as my employee has. However, there's a line between saying, "I'm underpaid and want/deserve a raise" and saying. "-----" as you walk out the door. Bottom line is this, the lines were drawn in the sand last summer. Peters thinks he more important than the team and they can't win without him. The FO thinks they can find (or have) a suitable replacement and don't really need him. IMO, money had little to do with this. I suppose we'll see sometime later this fall who's right.

Precisely. Someone has to give a little. To bring in another real world scenario... I currently have an employee that is doing just that. He thinks he's grossly underpaid, I offered him more compensation based on what I think is fair, he doesn't like it, it's been a week and not a word from him on the offer. Result: Monday at 8am I begin interviewing replacements.

True he let them know he was unhappy as my employee has. However, there's a line between saying, "I'm underpaid and want/deserve a raise" and saying. "-----" as you walk out the door. Bottom line is this, the lines were drawn in the sand last summer.

It is a business in both cases and while people have value, that value can change over time. And, let's face it, many people overvalue their worth in this modern over the top self-esteem world.

Peters thinks he more important than the team and they can't win without him. The FO thinks they can find (or have) a suitable replacement and don't really need him. IMO, money had little to do with this. I suppose we'll see sometime later this fall who's right.

Did you talk to Peters? Cause I have a hard time putting much weight behind anything that smacks of long distance mind reading. Peters clearly wanted a better contract when he saw what Dockery and Walker received in free agency. Did that stem from them telling him when they did his extension that he was their #1 guy and they'd take care of him? We don't really know all of the details. Was there really zero communication? How do the Bills value lineman? They let the Dockery contract come down to the wire and cut him in the middle of a possible trade situation.

Did you talk to Peters? Cause I have a hard time putting much weight behind anything that smacks of long distance mind reading. Peters clearly wanted a better contract when he saw what Dockery and Walker received in free agency. Did that stem from them telling him when they did his extension that he was their #1 guy and they'd take care of him? We don't really know all of the details. Was there really zero communication? How do the Bills value lineman? They let the Dockery contract come down to the wire and cut him in the middle of a possible trade situation.

Of course, I haven't talked to Peters. I did meditate several nights, but his aura was unreceptive. But seriously, anyone that holds out until the day before the first game has clearly said, with his actions, that he doesn't care about team success and by default that implies that he thinks he's more important than the team. Perhaps, I'm reading too much into his actions. I'd acknowledge that. Regardless, the lines were drawn. Peters, by his play, appeared to go through the motions this season. And as quickly as possible, he left again with no word other than pay me. Seriously, after seeing how quickly he, himself, went to Phili to talk about a deal is it such a stretch to think that maybe he just didn't want to be here. It doesn't necessarily make him a bad guy. It does, however, imply that perhaps Brandon had fewer options than we've been thinking, i.e. paying Peters probably wasn't an option.

Regarding the communication. I wouldn't say there was zero communication. However, Brandon has repeatedly said there was no communication. Tim has even said that 30 or 40 voicemails were not returned. So that's 2 independent sources saying that neither Peters nor Parker were communicating. Until I see evidence that Parker was indeed trying to call the Bills' FO, I think it safe to conclude that they were the ones not communicating - perhaps because they were hoping to force a trade. If that is the case... then I'll change my assessment on Parker. He's a great agent, becacause he got his client exactly what he wanted - out of a multi-year contract and out of Buffalo.

i think a huge part in this is how out of shape peters was last season, and how he got a little dinged so he took the last couple of games off.

a big fat soft me first prima donna is not worth that much money in the FO's eyes, they prolly figure they can get an impact player at pick 28 and just sign someone to be as productive as peters was last year.

3 picks for an All-Pro Left Tackle sounds good until you parlay them into picks like Mike Williams, Erick Flowers and John McCargo....there is a reason why these guyz make the money they do..hardest position to fill in the NFL... Here's to the Bills that they hit paydirt with at least one of those picks... Giving their Draft History I wouldn't bet on it.

I just want to say that I was right... I caught a lot of heat for saying I thought they would trade him back then

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=79517&hl=

I'm thinking that the Bills signed what's his name to add some depth at OT as they get ready to move Peters. My thinking is that the Bills and Ralph "Mr Cheap" Wilson won't be willing to pay what he will demand after his contract is up.... I'm not so sure I would be too upset. He is good but he is going to want big $ and I'm not exactly sure he's worth it. If we could get a 1st round pick I'd be happy. thoughts?

I just want to say that I was right... I caught a lot of heat for saying I thought they would trade him back then

http://www.stadiumwall.com/index.php?showtopic=79517&hl=

You were right about trading Peters, but not about the reasons. The Hangartner deal (I think that's what you are referring to by "what's his name") has nothing to do with the Peters trade, as Hangartner is a C-G.

You can make it known that you are willing to listen to offers but you're not going to trade the guy for a bunch of crap- two teams who make the most sense for trade partners are Detroit and Philly- Detroit would like to use their first pick for a QB but they really need a LT too and the first tier guys will like likely be gone before they get to the Dallas pick- Philly is losing two OTs to free agency and age- they have two first round picks, theirs and the Panthers - I figure Detroit would have to offer the Dallas 1st, their 2nd and a 3rd - Philly would have to offer both their 1sts- the other part of the equation is what they think of Bell who looked very good in preseason but hasn't seen the field since- I think that Bell mirrors very well and can get beyond the line of scrimmage when run blocking but he comes in very raw and lacking pro strength and size - is he going to put on the 15-20lbs of muscle he needs not to get bull rushed? If you think Bell can come in and play the position at the very least at an average level then a Peters trade makes more sense- if you think Bell is going to get Edwards killed then you can't do it.

Good for you, and to the many others, who thought Peters would be traded. Everyone loves a good "I told you so!".

I was wrong on the compensation but other than that pretty good

You were right about trading Peters, but not about the reasons. The Hangartner deal (I think that's what you are referring to by "what's his name") has nothing to do with the Peters trade, as Hangartner is a C-G.

Nope. I was talking about Jonathan Scott, an OT and a true "what's his name?"... And I think I was right about the reasons. Those being that the Bills didn't want to pay him the $$ he demanded. I was just saying they signed Scott to add some depth to the position.