Raji tested postive for drugs at combine...

According to this report he tested positive for some kind of drug at the combine. He previously tested positive for Marijauna in 2008, so one would assume thats a likely candidate...

I remember when this happened to Sapp and he slipped in the draft because of it...so now if Raji falls to us, would we still take him? Especially considering all the other off field drama we've had?

Link

According to this report he tested positive for some kind of drug at the combine. He previously tested positive for Marijauna in 2008, so one would assume thats a likely candidate...

I remember when this happened to Sapp and he slipped in the draft because of it...so now if Raji falls to us, would we still take him? Especially considering all the other off field drama we've had?

Link

Sweet, hope he falls......he would be a difference maker on this team.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anttaj_Hawthorne

Hawthorne was expected to be a first round draft pick and have a bright National Football League (NFL) future, but a positive test for marijuana at the NFL Combine caused him to fall in the draft. He was drafted by the Oakland Raiders in the sixth round of the 2005 NFL Draft.

Link

I'd take him, but there is some risk now involved. He'll likely go into the NFL's treatment program straight out the gate. That means his next positive test could get him a suspension, if there ever was a positive test. A roll of the dice, but it would be worth it in my eyes.

Opinions on marijuana usage have changed since Sapp was drafted, IIRC, there was an article last year saying it was not considered a big deal anymore.

as it shouldn't.

This is an article on it.

"I doubt it will have any effect whatsoever," said Gailey, a former Dallas Cowboys head coach. "I think he's a great young man who probably did it one time to see what it was like and told the truth [when asked about it]. I don't think it's an issue with him."

While some teams could see marijuana use as troubling, others might view the players' admissions of prior use as a sign of maturity, particularly since players are encouraged to be honest in the interviews.

The difference is that Johnson admitted it in interviews. Raji probably didn't and that may cost him. If he did admit it then it might not be a big deal but the fact he tested positive shows he can't stay away from the cronik even when he knows the combine is coming up. That might be a problem for him.

This one isn't easy to figure out.

as it shouldn't.

I disagree. For the record I could care less if a player smokes weed or not. I do however think it says alot about somebody who can't follow the rules for a few months, knowing full well your going to be tested numerous times. By following the rules, I mean all you have to do is put the blunts away for a couple months/weeks and your fine. What kind of clueless freaking moron is going to take the chance of losing millions. Seriously, if it only costs him 3-4 spots in the draft it's worth millions. What a douche-bag.

He couldn't stay away from it for the biggest event of this life so far, and we're suppose to expect him to do so once he gets that first big payday? Too much risk. Sure, you put Sapp out there as an example, but how many others are there who let drugs ruin their very bright futures? Countless...

I disagree. For the record I could care less if a player smokes weed or not. I do however think it says alot about somebody who can't follow the rules for a few months, knowing full well your going to be tested numerous times. By following the rules, I mean all you have to do is put the blunts away for a couple months/weeks and your fine. What kind of clueless freaking moron is going to take the chance of losing millions. Seriously, if it only costs him 3-4 spots in the draft it's worth millions. What a douche-bag.

Excellent points...

Here is a guy sooooooooooo damn stupid he can't keep clean prior to the one day that could make him millions ........ and you want him on our team???????????? :thumbsup:

I never said draft the guy, I asked would we? I want OL at #11 as I really think Peters gets traded as I dont see either side caving...

He couldn't stay away from it for the biggest event of this life so far, and we're suppose to expect him to do so once he gets that first big payday? Too much risk. Sure, you put Sapp out there as an example, but how many others are there who let drugs ruin their very bright futures? Countless...

Yup. Here's one that that was talked in terms of the 2nd round...DT Claude Wroten, 2006.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Claude_Wroten

we have yet to see the results of the test first.....if marijuana i would take him at #11 in a heartbeat.....if steroids, then absolutely not !!

P.S. - nice cupholder......lol

Lol...thanks...

Its my logo for one of my Fantasy Football Team called "Big Ole TD's"

Opinions on marijuana usage have changed since Sapp was drafted, IIRC, there was an article last year saying it was not considered a big deal anymore.

This is true. I personally don't have a problem with it. However there's this:

"According to the NFL's drug policy, a positive test for street drugs, which includes marijuana, puts a player into the initial stage of the NFL's drug program. He's then subject to random testing and subject to a fine or suspension if he tests positive again."

If he has another violation he is then considered to be in stage two of intervention and he can be suspended and/or fined. So, it makes him a bit of a risk.

we have yet to see the results of the test first.....if marijuana i would take him at #11 in a heartbeat.....if steroids, then absolutely not !!

P.S. - nice cupholder......lol

I agree 100% because steroids may be the reason for his college production. i.e. Tony Mandarich.

Weed? Who cares? Sure, he's a dumbazz for costing himself millions. But I'm glad he smoked it, now we have a shot at getting him.

Yeah, I could care less about weed, but its his judgement now in question...I mean how stupid do have to be to do this twice in back to back years (assuming its weed) and right before the combine...

We are also jumping the gun, it could be some banned substance found in an over the counter supplement where he just made a careless mistake and no big deal, or it could be even worse and be some kind of illegal steroid...weed is what he got caught with in 08, so its the front runner based on history at this point...

This is true. I personally don't have a problem with it. However there's this:

"According to the NFL's drug policy, a positive test for street drugs, which includes marijuana, puts a player into the initial stage of the NFL's drug program. He's then subject to random testing and subject to a fine or suspension if he tests positive again."

If he has another violation he is then considered to be in stage two of intervention and he can be suspended and/or fined. So, it makes him a bit of a risk.

Great point. He is a high risk for suspension, IMO.

Possibilities

1. He thinks he's above the rules and said screw it (precursor to other problems)

2. He can't resist the temptation and influence of others (stronger than his value of self preservation)

3. He's to stupid to understand the ramifications, rules, or testing schedule (very disturbing and dangerous)

All of these possibilities aren't fixed when a kid gets handed millions of dollars. I'd still take him on the Bills in a heartbeat, let Russ and Dick worry about that.

As Mike Florio said... if you test positive for drugs at the combine you are either:

A.) an idiot

B.) have a real drug problem

neither are good.

He has had off field problems, is considered immature, and is overweight. Now you add this... he might drop pretty far.

As Mike Florio said... if you test positive for drugs at the combine you are either:

A.) an idiot

B.) have a real drug problem

neither are good.

He has had off field problems, is considered immature, and is overweight. Now you add this... he might drop pretty far.

If he's there I hope the Bills pass on him.

Good point, and...

Now,what happens after he fails 3 NFL drug tests if he is not bright or strong willed enough to stay off the weed for a few months?

Just because Bruce Smith and Warren Sap can put it behind them doesn't mean that others can, The Bills were lucky Travis Henry didn't implode until after he left Buffalo.

Ricky Williams- Lawrence Phillips-Quincy Carter- Natrone Means ring any bells ?

Great point. He is a high risk for suspension, IMO.

Possibilities

1. He thinks he's above the rules and said screw it (precursor to other problems)

2. He can't resist the temptation and influence of others (stronger than his value of self preservation)

3. He's to stupid to understand the ramifications, rules, or testing schedule (very disturbing and dangerous)

All of these possibilities aren't fixed when a kid gets handed millions of dollars. I'd still take him on the Bills in a heartbeat, let Russ and Dick worry about that.

But ya see PTP, if any of your scenarios are true (especially #2), the last place this kid needs to be is on a team coached by Dick Levy, a "players coach."

I can't stand Jauron as a coach. He is flat out awful, and has been for years on end, but he is a gentleman. He treats the players well, and this is a kid who might need better supervision than Jauron is capable of providing. The guy might have just cost himself 5 million on a signing bonus alone. For what, to smoke a joint? He sounds undisciplined, and Jauron has none to offer.

Bad match for the Bills.

I can recall walking the campus of St John Fisher during the training camp (I live right down the road), and seeing a pimped out all black escalade on 22's rolling across campus. A naive person would have thought there was a bon fire lit on the passenger seat, and Im willing to bet it wasnt a college student taking summer classes. Bottom line is most NFL players smoke dope, including a lot of Bills players. Gaines Adams and Calvin Johnson both tested for weed at the combine correct? They were high picks. Hopefully he slips, but he wont.

Good for the stoner. The only one to stick up for him here are probably stoners too. Looks like we know how he got that pear shape. Munchies and chillin. If he`s that STUPID to get nailed at the combine,then he will probably get nailed in the NFL.Fat ,dumb and lazy are no-way to go through life. :lol:

I just don't see him getting past Denver.....even with the Cutler situation.

I think GBay and Denver have other fish to fry, so here's the simulation from DraftTek:

1 Detroit Aaron Curry OLB43 Wake Forest

2 St Louis Jason Smith OT Baylor

3 Kansas City Brian Orakpo DE43 Texas

4 Seattle Michael Crabtree WRF Texas Tech

5 Cleveland Malcolm Jenkins CB Ohio State

6 Cincinnati Eugene Monroe OT Virginia

7 Oakland Everette Brown DE43 Florida State

8 Jacksonville Mark Sanchez QB USC

9 Green Bay Tyson Jackson DE34 LSU

10 San Francisco Andre Smith OT Alabama

11 Buffalo BJ Raji DT34 Boston College

12 Denver Rey Maualuga ILB USC

13 Washington Michael Oher OT Mississippi

14 New Orleans Brian Cushing OLB43 USC

15 Houston Clay Matthews OLB43 USC

16 San Diego Jeremy Maclin WRF Missouri

17 NY Jets Matthew Stafford QB Georgia

18 Chicago Hakeem Nicks WRF North Carolina

19 Tampa Bay Peria Jerry DT43 Mississippi

But ya see PTP, if any of your scenarios are true (especially #2), the last place this kid needs to be is on a team coached by Dick Levy, a "players coach."

I can't stand Jauron as a coach. He is flat out awful, and has been for years on end, but he is a gentleman. He treats the players well, and this is a kid who might need better supervision than Jauron is capable of providing. The guy might have just cost himself 5 million on a signing bonus alone. For what, to smoke a joint? He sounds undisciplined, and Jauron has none to offer.

Bad match for the Bills.

No I agree, he might be a bad fit with us. It's too bad. I'm curious to see what he popped for. It's probably marijuana and he'll get drafted before us anyway.